A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #4801
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

You learn something every day... I'll need to keep that in mind for the emergency roadside improvisation knowledge toolkit for the future!

While it was a bit of a faff, I actually feel pretty good about today's efforts seeing the end result. Basically I wound up generally tidying up the area under the front service hatch as well as plumbing in the fuel pump.

The cardboard under the fuel tank strap is a temporary measure by the way, I've got some closed cell foam on the way which will be going in there - once it turns up. Yodel have managed to lose track of it somewhere...so goodness only knows when/if it will ever turn up.

The fuel pump is fastened in the old ignition coil bracket from the Lada. Once I packed around the pump with some rubber to keep it quiet it was a perfect fit.

Getting the new fuel pipe onto the fuel tank stub was an absolute pain and must have taken me nearly an hour of swearing. Seriously, if it comes off again the tank is coming out...

Speaking of the tank...something which has become apparent today is that the fuel gauge sender is in the tank upside down. D'oh! Oh well, easy enough to sort next time the tank is nearly empty. On the plus side, the gauge works fine...it's just reversed.

Having spent several hours standing on my head of course I wanted to see if it had been worthwhile. So that meant going out for a spin round the block a few times. Still need to adjust the brakes further as there is still way too much free play, but the front is definitely doing more now and she is stopping in an absolutely straight line now.

While I did not have a huge amount of time, I was able to buzz around for twenty minutes or so. That was well within the point that she had been starting to spit and carry on before, and was still running fine today. Given I was trying to cause high fuel demand, it was very much a "crack the throttle open up to 30, brake for junction, off again etc..." This has done good things for the drive system it seems, as the gearbox feels very much smoother now, and between 0-30 it definitely feels like it's doing what I'd expect a CVT to.

Given I was being a bit more proactive in the "I want to make the car misbehave" department today it has really shown two things. First, she really is bloody quick off the mark...not even passable, properly nippy. Secondly...you really can throw her around the corners... I'm really staggered by the body control. It's hard to describe in words, but it really feels nimble. Reckon that a lot of their reputation must be down to lack of straight line stability due to lack of ballast rather than being actually tippy.

After a couple of tens of minutes running usually the fuel filter would be visibly empty (I know that doesn't actually mean much), with bubbles feeding through.

Not this time...

...I really need to get some clear fuel filters, these opaque ones are annoying as it's so hard to see how clean or not the element is.

Plenty of fuel visible and absolutely no bubbles...that being the important bit. I'll try to get out for a bit longer tomorrow afternoon.

Will make sure the camera comes out as well, and hopefully will rope my other half into getting a few photos or videos from outside - as I imagine given the duct tape exoskeleton she looks rather comical bouncing down the road at the moment...
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #4802
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

With a new tank, lines, & all, you shouldn't need a new filter for a few years, unless your fuel is incredibly dirty.

Better question, did the tank makers use any sealer on the inside? I know you really don't want to hear it, but now would be the best time to drain, remove, and seal that nice tank. While you might not get water in the fuel, there's that nasty thing called condensation. Condensate changes to small droplets, to big drops that fall and pool in the bottom of the tank. next step, rust in the bottom of your brand new tank. Check with motorcycle shops.

Sorry I didn't remember sooner.... a lot sooner. Blame in on age.

Saw a T-shirt I want really bad. It says "My body is a temple. Ancient and crumbling. And probably cursed or haunted."
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM   #4803
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

The filters are less than £1 each, so it's really no hassle to change them each service. As identified here it makes a nice sight glass to see if there's any air getting drawn in too, and they do seem to collect a fair amount of gunk over time. The jets in this carb are tiny, so it wouldn't take much to upset it.

The new tank is all aluminium, so shouldn't have any corrosion concerns, good call though. If I'm storing a car for long periods it's always with a brimmed tank and fuel stabiliser in to keep condensation to a minimum though. This tank is only just over four gallons anyway, so will be getting flushed through pretty regularly I reckon anyway (guessing I should probably be expecting a range somewhere round 150 miles). At least I have a working fuel gauge now...even *knowing* the tank was full and driving in circles less than a mile from home, that being dead last week was stressing me out...the brain is a strange thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
With a new tank, lines, & all, you shouldn't need a new filter for a few years, unless your fuel is incredibly dirty.

Better question, did the tank makers use any sealer on the inside? I know you really don't want to hear it, but now would be the best time to drain, remove, and seal that nice tank. While you might not get water in the fuel, there's that nasty thing called condensation. Condensate changes to small droplets, to big drops that fall and pool in the bottom of the tank. next step, rust in the bottom of your brand new tank. Check with motorcycle shops.

Sorry I didn't remember sooner.... a lot sooner. Blame in on age.

Saw a T-shirt I want really bad. It says "My body is a temple. Ancient and crumbling. And probably cursed or haunted."
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:21 AM   #4804
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
The filters are less than £1 each, so it's really no hassle to change them each service. As identified here it makes a nice sight glass to see if there's any air getting drawn in too, and they do seem to collect a fair amount of gunk over time. The jets in this carb are tiny, so it wouldn't take much to upset it.

The new tank is all aluminium, so shouldn't have any corrosion concerns, good call though. If I'm storing a car for long periods it's always with a brimmed tank and fuel stabiliser in to keep condensation to a minimum though. This tank is only just over four gallons anyway, so will be getting flushed through pretty regularly I reckon anyway (guessing I should probably be expecting a range somewhere round 150 miles). At least I have a working fuel gauge now...even *knowing* the tank was full and driving in circles less than a mile from home, that being dead last week was stressing me out...the brain is a strange thing.
Well, that's good news. When you were quoting capacity, did you mean Imperial gallons? That's bigger than US gallons. A big bike tank here on a Harley is 5-6 gallons. Not sure about a Honda Interstate, but I'm assuming bigger. Don't know, don't care. Never owned a Honda, never will. Owned Yamaha & Kawasaki, though & none of them ever had anything near a 5 gallon tank. Talking about tiny jets, my Kaw was know as an H-1. 500cc, 3 cylinder, 2 stroke. Blindingly fast for 1970. But do the math; 500 split 3 ways a bit more than 177 ccs per. Jets were downright miniscule