A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Aug 2 2022, 09:58 PM   #281
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Cool Re: New MoM playground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mausey View Post
Let's see, as most of our posters are in summer and this summer has been a bit on the warm side the library has obliged us by making a giant snow globe in the back garden. It has a double air-lock door to keep the heat out and the temp inside is just at the freezing mark so the snow is perfect for snowballs or building a fort. As this is, after all, a magic snow globe there is also a nice pond for anybody that wants to try skating. There is a nice fire pit (always at the perfect marshmallow melting temp) as well as a cache of milk choc and graham crackers for smore's. Several containers with hot drinks are also available. Just to keep it interesting, once everybody is safely seated, the globe will shake and it will snow.
I hope there is room for goingsledding ? Good idea, Adds Chillie , with all the fixingm, and BBoston Bean Chower , itsserved like Bosten Clam Chower - the shellfish, fo and the real one, and also the l fire is just right for melting , cheese to dip, squares of bread on ssticks too.
I know how to say it, just can 't spell it, also if someone like a tosted sandwitch , there are ssandwithch makers, to make them t over the flames, pizza , pie, and tosted you 'add what you like' .
Or a stone pizza overn? Or fixing for a real case hot dog and a stick or holder on a stick for more then one? Notes I am drawing off many Family , Girl Scout -Stepping StoneCamping , for this , For I For I know how to use one, if needed I can give a good 'how to' use one, if needed later on, my fingers are getting cold, and I have a early morning meeting, and I need to and do a little recalling on that trip, LOL sourly , that was week of fun, glad I learned how to use one before I when t on that trip. ue
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3 2022, 02:57 PM   #282
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: New MoM playground?

I'm sure there is room for sledding.

I've never heard of "Boston Bean Chowder", also never heard of "Boston Clam Chowder". There is "New England style Clam Chowder" which is made with cream - or there is "Rhode Island Clam Chowder" which has a clear broth. This may be something new to me!

I do like a grilled hot dog. Have not had one in ages.
Old Aug 4 2022, 07:43 AM   #283
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

I'll try all of those - once. My latest successsful experimental cooking was meat loaf in a muffin pan - great for individual servings as I live on my own. We won't mention some vegan hamburgers I bought that had the appearance, texture and flavour of cobblestones. They finished up in the worm farm. I'm sure I could make something much more tasty out of quinoa, kumara (sweet potato) and mushrooms.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4 2022, 07:55 AM   #284
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Good for you and the meatloaf. It is one of the very few main dishes I can actually do fairly well. I make it with hamburg (minced beef?) an egg, a small 8 ounce jar of spaghetti sauce and enough Pepperidge Farm stuffing mix to give it texture. I put it in a loaf pan as there are 2 of us. The stuffing mix comes in a bag and is really just seasoned, dry, small chunks of bread, normally used to stuff either a chicken or turkey.

I have never eaten anything vegan and your description makes me not want to. For some reason whenever I see Vegan I think Vogon from Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and then I say "Nope, none of that!"
Old Aug 4 2022, 09:55 PM   #285
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I'm sure there is room for sledding.

I've never heard of "Boston Bean Chowder", also never heard of "Boston Clam Chowder". There is "New England style Clam Chowder" which is made with cream - or there is "Rhode Island Clam Chowder" which has a clear broth. This may be something new to me!

I do like a grilled hot dog. Have not had one in ages.
tHAT IS WHAT i WAS THINKING, ITS JUST IN A IDEA FOR A SGROUP OF STORIES THE BACKGROUND IS SOME OF THEM, COME FROMTHAT PART OF uNITED sTATES , AND MABE THEY HAVE A FISH STOCK WITH FISH NOT CLAMS FOR THOSE THAT CAN'T EAT SHELLFISH, LIKE MYSELF , AND i HAVE HAD ABEAN SOUP BUT THANKS FOR THE INFO.
tHE lol SORRY THE BEAN BASE ONE IS LIKE THE OTHER ONE JUST FOR THOSE WHO DDON'bAKE bEANS ARE SLOW COOKED BEANDS,GGREA NORTHERN BEANS, ARE DRY,SOKED OVERNIGHT, WELLED RINCED IN COLD WATER, THEN COOKED, TILL NEARLY DONE, THEN YO, DRAINED THEN ADD A CHOPPED ONION,, SOME USE KETUP , OR BQQ SAUE, WORCHESSTER SAUES, AND A FEW OTHER TTHINGS, i HAVEN'T HELP MAKE THEM IN YEARS, ITS FROM A OLD COOKBOOK, THAT MUY GRANDMOTHER ON MOM SIE HAD. OH YOU FRY THE ONINS ANWITH BACAN , BEFORE ADDING TO THE BEANS, SORRY i HAVE HELPED BUT i DON'T HAVE THE THE HOW TO MAKE IT TO HAND, ITS THE SAME ONE TTHAT TOLD DAD HOW TO MAKE AND i BAKING POWER BISKETS , OR WAS HIS MOM? ANYHOW IITS FFALLING APOAOPART,, FROM AGE. ALSO MAKING OTHER STUFF, LIKE BREAD , i HOPE i HAVE GIVEN YOU A LITTLE ABOUT IT.
mORE LATER. dRAT i FORGOT THE DRIED MUSTARED lol AT MYSELF SOURLY , SHALL HAVE TO ASK DAD TO GET THAT ONE TOO.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 5 2022, 08:49 AM   #286
vyon

I did have a recipe for Boston Baked Beans that I liked, and it was good for taking to group picnics in a haybox - basically a carton full of crumpled newspaper with the casserole dish full of beans inside to keep warm. Unlike New Zealand baked beans, which are in a tomato sauce the Boston Baked beans used molasses. I don't have the recipe any more so I can't remember what else was in it.

The cobblestone veganburgers were bought in a packet. I do cook vegan sometimes but a lot of the meat-substitute vegan food that you buy is grossly over-processed and I'd rather have my food as near to the garden that produced it as possible.
Old Aug 5 2022, 10:07 PM   #287
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Post Re: New MoM playground?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
I did have a recipe for Boston Baked Beans that I liked, and it was good for taking to group picnics in a haybox - basically a carton full of crumpled newspaper with the casserole dish full of beans inside to keep warm. Unlike New Zealand baked beans, which are in a tomato sauce the Boston Baked beans used molasses. I don't have the recipe any more so I can't remember what else was in it.

The cobblestone veganburgers were bought in a packet. I do cook vegan sometimes but a lot of the meat-substitute vegan food that you buy is grossly over-processed and I'd rather have my food as near to the garden that produced it as possible.
Thanks that was the iitem I was missing, My father has his one, would you like me to ask him for it? I have asked him for Baking Powerd Bisket one, I can have hhim add it, if you like.
One time theyshowed how to memake Begen ones they used mushroons in them, I can't eat them,. But I have heard of them using a soy instead of ththe mushroom, don't recall where. Or someother other type of something.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 6 2022, 07:30 AM   #288
vyon

Probably tofu, Ginny. It's made out of soyabeans, looks like a dense cheese and has very little flavour until it's added in cooking. I'd rather have the mushrooms.
Old Aug 7 2022, 04:26 PM   #289
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Plops down in a nice cool corner, with Dragons Dawn, & an ice cold soda. It's been a LONG week. Time to chill out.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7 2022, 04:30 PM   #290
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Good idea. I'll join you with a cold glass of cranberry juice and my latest sewing - a dragon this time. Definitely not a Pern one. When it's done you'll see it on FB.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #291
Mausey

It's hovering around the 30c mark here and that's just a bit too warm for me. *Grabs some mittens, a toque and a jacket and into the snow globe.* Much better. Hangs a Do Not Disturb sign on the back of a lounge chair, leans back sipping hot choc with Baileys and watches the stars.
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #292
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Good idea. I'll join you with a cold glass of cranberry juice and my latest sewing - a dragon this time. Definitely not a Pern one. When it's done you'll see it on FB.
I can't get in FB. For those of us that don't have FB, could you show it in here as well?
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM   #293
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Perhaps you could ask someone to help you set up a FB account? I cannot show pictures here as I only access this site through my Nook tablet and I am not at all sure how to move pictures around on it or load them from the tablet to this site. I'm afraid FB is the only place I have for sharing pictures.