A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Oct 4 2014, 05:21 PM   #1
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn
Gold Dragon wings & Flight

I think I remember reading in Dawn that baby fire lizards can fly as soon as their wings have dried (which is not long after hatching).

Would the same not also hold true for baby dragons? Of course, they couldn't carry a rider until they had grown and their muscles had matured, but shouldn't they be capable of riderless flight at a fairly young age?

Does anyone recall how quickly the first group of weyrlings in Dawn were flying? I don't have a copy to look for myself.
Aleedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: Dragon wings & Flight

Assuming dragons and flits are scaled proportionately, it's important to bear these facts in mind:

Wing span scales linearly
Wing area will scale as the square of the proportional increase in wing span
Body mass will scale as the cube of the proportional increase in wing span

So, would flying from birth automatically hold true for dragons? No^3.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2014, 10:59 PM   #3
D. M. Domini
Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Unless, of course, dragon flight is all telekinetic anyway since they can carry as much weight as they "think" they can.

If that's the case, I'd say they can fly as soon as the telekinetic effort of flying is possible from an energy standpoint...but...I have a feeling they'd be wildly uncoordinated until older.
Read my Pern and Talent fanfic on Archive of our Own.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5 2014, 04:43 AM   #4

Yup, TK would have different limits, but then you need to extrapolate from a different starting point.

Also, dragons are Impressed to humans who have the sense to know (intuitively if not logically) that a creature that size gas no business flying until it's built up the musculature that can support it. If a dragon *could* coordinate itself well enough for TK powered flight (which they never, ever do before the back end of the ninth pass, unless you count Heth hovering in a clearing in one of the shorts), that human partner is going to be a massive inhibiting factor against it.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5 2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Now Reading: Never Let Me Go

TK is a terrible patch solution to a problem that increasingly doesn't need solving in the first place. The DLG suggests that the baby dragons actually should be able to fly from shortly after hatching, which is probably true but they seem to have been inhibited from it from the time of the first riders on... That said, because dragons are ungainly and there's a necessary push to get them feeding (and consequently, hunting!) on their own before too long, I suspect they fly riderless for short hops-and-skips from as early as a couple of months.
skywaterblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5 2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Fan of: Pern and Talent series
Now Reading: Lives of the Caesars - Suetonius

I'm pretty sure Lessa makes a huge fuss over Ramonth's clutchmates being allowed to learn how to fly when she herself cannot, which implies to me that they aren't flying from hatching, or probably for the first few weeks thereafter.

If every hatchling started flying right away, it would be harder to restrict Ramonth's flights, as I believe they did? Some mention of Ramonth's first flight being 'the flight' when Lessa was angry at R'gul?

For fic purposes, I've gone with flight training starting around 3 months, and the first flight with their riders being about 6 months, but that's largely arbitrary on my end.
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Well, my bit, Dragonsdawn, the young dragons, they are flapping their wings while still just eat, bathing, oiling. Sean shows that tad under a year old dragon can fly without much problems
Lover s s, s and friends
Lover of and beads,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote