A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 6 2008, 10:21 AM   #1
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
High Adventure - Have I Got Your Attention Now???

This morning I popped into one of my local "op shops" and was looking through their book section and I found a book called "HIGH ADVENTURE". I thought to myself - beauty, an anthology of stories to read and I haven't seen this one before. Anyway what grabbed my attention about it, was a very Indiana Jones cover on it and at the bottom stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, Ian Fleming, Edgar Allan Poe, Jack London, James M. Cain, Edgar Rice Borroughs & others. Most of these authors I've read at some stage or another but.........................

BUT...........................................

BUT...........................................wait there's more.....................

This is the interesting part, there is actually a story by Anne McCaffrey in it (*Rescue Run*) and it's not even in Becky's guide. Okay, *Rescue Run* is in Becky's guide but not as part of this anthology, I mean "High Adventure" isn't it as far as I've had a chance to look through properly and before my toes get stood upon! I know what I mean, even if it's come out slightly confusing to the rest of you!!

Have I found the treasure of the century or WHAT???

Trust me, when I got onto MoM, I did a search through the threads (typed in High Adventure in the search engine) and nothing came up. I thought this was most strange because Hans, Cheryl, Annelli or Becky usually pop these up in their "Collecting Highlights" and it still didn't come up in that.

Okay here's the facts and figures for those of you who want to correct me at some stage........

Title: High Adventure,
Editors: Cynthia Manson and Charles Ardai,
ISBN # 1-56619-281-1
First published in 1992 by Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing Group, Inc,
This edition published in 1993 by Marboro Books Corp, a division of Barnes & Noble, Inc, by arrangement with Dell Magazines,
Book Design by Charles Ziga
593 pages long.

I haven't yet put a photo of the cover through "photobucket" and uploaded to MoM as I've only just got home from work and about to go to bed now but figured I'd let you all know about it before I say good night.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: High Adventure - Have I Got Your Attention Now???

Thanks Jube

Seems it is a special done only for Barnes & Noble, and still for sale new.

You can also see the cover there (Indiana Jones, which will be pretty actual again soon... anybody else read the news about the new movie?)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Allana
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Crystal, Pern, Dino P.

Wow. This book looks really cool. I haven't bought myself a new book in a while, it may finally be time...
Allana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 04:08 PM   #4
Brenda

Check out the preview!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

I've had that book for years now.

Of course, now it has no dust jacket because my <expletive deleted><another expletive deleted> brother in law borrowed the book and totally ruined the DJ.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 08:03 PM   #6
~(_'>

I've had that book for years too.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2008, 10:53 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

This looks very interesting Jude...itsn' it lovely when you find a treasure all on your own. I think I need to go shopping soon, and this will be on the list.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2008, 09:44 AM   #8
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

THANKS HANS for putting up the preview from Barnes & Noble/pictures etc for me. Today was extraordinarily busy (work, getting child to school, paying bills etc) and I've only just latched onto the Internet now. You are an absolute gem for doing that.

Allana and Lady Maelin, glad to put another item on your "wish list", I was just so excited that at first, I wasn't sure whether to get it or not at the time because it made no mention on the front cover that Ms McCaffrey had put in a story. But I'm glad I did!

For everyone else, my "paperback treasure" does have some wear and tear, (a few cuts, pen mark and scuffled marks around the edges) and fortunately very cheap, a bargain of 20cAu (or 18cUS). (Shalyn, I know how that feels when I discovered what the previous owner did to this poor book). It can't get much better then that. However please don't expect me to sell on ebay or privately as it's the 1st book that I've never had before, which is on my list. Okay my wording is probably a little messed up just now - I can't seem to stop off the walls and my head can't get the proper sentences out......................You get the picture............................

I'll come back to Earth.............eventually.................I promise!!!!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old May 7 2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Brenda

I don't have too many hardbacks, but if I do lend them I generally remove the dust jackets - I don't care as much what happens to the hard cover itself!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2008, 07:57 PM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Cheryl, if you pop into this thread, MANY THANKS for the books you've sent, they've arrived safely on my doorstep. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Brenda, I'm the same. But I rather give them the paperback version if possible but I don't think I'll be letting this book out of my sight just yet.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old May 7 2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Well that was fast! Mailed on a Friday, arrived on a Wed. It was supposed to take 5-10 business days, and that would be 3-4. Nice!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2008, 09:07 AM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Cheryl, this one is for you -

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old May 8 2008, 09:09 AM   #13
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Brenda, thanks for the trailer, I definitely have to see that movie. I have seen all the others.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2008, 11:01 PM   #14
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Big Grin Re: High Adventure - Have I Got Your Attention Now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'isa View Post
Brenda, thanks for the trailer, I definitely have to see that movie. I have seen all the others.
Thanks Brenda (my appologies for forgetting about the preview), I'll have to see it too now at the cinema!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!