A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Dec 5 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default An addition to my German Pern collection

Apart from the crazily priced German paperbacks Dolphins of Pern and Renegeades of Pern I thought I had all German paperbacks. I knew Dragonflight (Die Welt der Drachen) was published by Heyne with different cover art, the later editions (after 1980) with art by "Segrelles/Norma" and the first editions with art by the Dutch artist C.A.M. Thole , being one of the "naked lady on a silly dragon" variations Oh right, now you want to see that one? But it's not what this post is about... ok, alright, here it is:

first edition German Dragonflight with cover by Karel Thole
one of the "freezing naked lady varations" in the subgroup of "nude riding sidesaddle" without a saddle though...
but carefully executed and darn it, we don't even get to see a breast or nipple

The same was done with Dragonquest (Die Suche der Drachen) but I have been neglected for years to acquire a true first edition which also has art by C.A.M. Thole, while the later editions have art by the "Atelier Heinrichs & Schütz" from Munich.

This is the first edition I recently acquired. I had to wait quite a bit until a nicely priced one came along as for some reason they seem to have gone p in price lately, most of them going for price between 10-15 euro ($12-16.5):

First edition German Dragonquest
pretty funny interpretation of the monster of Loch Ne.. erm... a dragon and a firelizard, right?
Hey, how many moons did Per have?

The later and far more common cover art is this:

Yeah, wrong interpretation of Pernese dragon, and it has reins, I know

Handling them all four for this Thread brought something else to light. While apparently printed on the same weight of paper Dragonquest 1st is only 190 pages long while the later edition counts 220 pages. Same goes for the Dragonflight edition with the oldest having 207 and the later having 240 pages...The font seems to be a teensy bit smaller in the older edition but if that is the sole reason for the difference in page numbers I'll not vouch for. So it is possible that the older German edtions are slightly edited.

Ah... I'll give you the later Dragonflight cover, too, just to be complete

yes, F'lar (or another rider) in harness yes And the "headknob" got a little out of hand
And what about the flying carpet eh? Still the wing is nicely done.

Later german cover art often gets better, trust me. Especially when they use Whelan's and Edward's

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan
Default Re: An addition to my German Pern collection

I love the Iguana as firelizard on the "Loch Ness" cover...The last one with the Knight in Armor look is fetching as well
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 10:43 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Hey, as art goes these are nice covers. It's just that, if you are Pern fan, you can't help but laughing

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 5 2008, 10:44 AM   #4
~(_'>

OK, so the only way to get foreign sales of Anne's books is to put nekkid women on the cover? A bit insulting really.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Nah, certainly not the only way, but there are some, the best of which is the cartoon like cover for the first Swedish edition of Dragonflight. I think I did a highlight on that one. Most of the naked ladies covers were published in the seventies though, that must be said. I think, without any research, that is was a bit of a trend back then. Sexual revolution and such (well, here in Europe at least).

In general though, naked ladies sell, yes. You can see that in every branch of marketing and advertising everywhere

Old Dec 5 2008, 11:55 PM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I will say that the last cover of Dragonflight, while having the spike instead of horn, is actually the most equine looking dragon I've ever seen. I kind of like it, as an overall dragon.
Old Dec 6 2008, 01:08 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Congratulations Hans...on adding these interesting editions to your ever growing and diverse collection.

I'm with Becky...I like the last one the best, as well. Except that it looks like the Dragon is gaging on the bit in it's mouth...ugggg!!! The dragonrider would also freeze in all that armor when he goes between...brrrrrrrr. But the art work in that one looks very well done indeed.

Hans...I think I really have to agree with you about the *Naked Lady* covers from the 70's, that was definitely a time of sexual revolution for all of us then and we showed it in many outward signs...like lots of nudity in and on a great deal of things. Its just a shame that it all seems to have been done by fairly bad artist.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 02:35 AM   #8
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Lyn: He/she was probably being paid in peanuts (and you know what THAT means)

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 05:54 AM   #9
Dernok
Eskay

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Re: An addition to my German Pern collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Ah... I'll give you the later Dragonflight cover, too, just to be complete
There are also 2 versions of this cover. A "glossy" one (That you got) and a (Individually felt) more common, textured one.

I could post a scan or picture when i get back to my "collection" on Sunday.
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 06:14 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Dernok, the cover pictures I posted are not glossy ones but I assume that the later Dragonfight cover made it as a glossy with a later reprint?

Unfortunately the German pulications don't usually state year of publication but the book with the later Dragonflight cover says "neuausgabe" on the copyright page (which might be important). Hargreaves (page 64) gives 1981 as first publication year for this particlar edition. Price can also often be an indication, this book is priced at DM 4,80.

About the art for this cover Hargreaves says that it originally appeared on the book "The Twentieth Son of Ornon" by Mike Sirota, published in 1980 by Zebra Books

Old Dec 6 2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

If that last one rears his head back, he could stab his rider!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6 2008, 08:48 AM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Maybe that's why he has a spike on his helmet himself, Cheryl, to stab back?

Old Dec 7 2008, 01:39 AM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Peter...peanuts...no wonder they call us starving artist...I love um, but you sure can't live on um....ROTFL!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Dec 7 2008, 02:41 AM   #14
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

That last one's defiitely Wagnerian.

H-m-m-m ... perhaps Pernese Walkurie, what an idea!

How about THAT for a fan-fic challenge?

I wonder whether that's why Anne's dragons are equine: from her knowledge of opera?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Dec 7 2008 at 06:07 PM.
P'ter is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2008, 12:56 PM   #15
Dernok
Eskay

Quote:
Dernok, the cover pictures I posted are not glossy ones but I assume that the later Dragonfight cover made it as a glossy with a later reprint?
I scanned the two versions (i know of) to show the difference.

Originally i wanted to link this small preview to the larger on stored here[0] but i'm not (yet) familiar with this forum software and didn't manage to find out how... Is there a manual?

With the bigger images you get an impression what i mean by "textured" vs "glossy".

The left "glossy" one has a ISBN of 3-453-30691-0 and the "textured" one 3-453-30693-7.

I noticed the same phenomenon with Drachengesang.

Again, a bigger image at [1]

They both got the same ISSB 3-453-30693-7 while the "textured" one is clearly older. 4.80DM vs 8.90DM 8-)

Since the newer books all are "glossy" the "textured" ones are perhaps generally older versions.

Quote:
Unfortunately the German pulications don't usually state year of publication but the book with the later Dragonflight cover says "neuausgabe" on the copyright page (which might be important).
I'm not sure what Heyne means with "Neuausgabe". There're "Erstveröffentlichung"s (8-)) too. Also "Illustrierte Neuausgabe"s and "Einmalige Sonderausgabe"s with variations i can see no pattern in.
In some of them there's information about which edition it is. In most not.
Looks like a complete mess to my - amateur collectors - eyes.

Quote:
Hargreaves (page 64) gives 1981 as first publication year for this particlar edition.
Aehm, what's Hargreaves? A kind of catalogue?

Quote:
Price can also often be an indication, this book is priced at DM 4,80.
Since Germany changed it's postal codes after the "Five New Countries" joined us about 1990 this may also be an indication. Since then our post codes have 5, in stead of teh earlier 4, digits.

Well seems like i have to think of some kind of smart indexing scheme that takes all factors into account. Maybe i could tack some notes to my books or print some big letters on the covers...

*duck* & *run*

[0]www.bombemlega.de/hedon/DWDR.jpg
[1]www.bombemlega.de/hedon/Drachengesang.jpg
Old Dec 8 2008, 02:47 PM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Dernok,

First, "Hargreaves" is the Collectors Bible for the Anne McCaffrey fan It refers to the author (Matthew Hargreaves) of the book: "Anne Inez McCaffrey. Forty Years of Publishing. An International Bibliography", published in December 1992. 500 copies were made, alle signed by anne and Matthew.
An addendum was published (Anne Inez McCaffrey. Two More Years of Publishing) in 1994 but that contains only the US and UK editions.

I've been working on a new, comprehensive bibliography, with the help of Anne, for a few years now. Especially after 1990 a lot of her books in other langages than English were published, although Matthew Hargreaves did excellent work. I'm as good as finished with Dutch and French. It's a lot of work since my files include everything Hargreaves already published too though I am concentrating on the "foreign" publications.
To give you an idea, here's teh link to a PDF for the complete chapter on Dtch language editions (it won't be a surprise I started with those): click

As for your textured and glossy covers. Yes, the textured covers are always the older ones I have some titles in both but since I bought most of the older editions secnd hand they all have textured covers while the new ones have the new glossy covers.

I don't know the differences either concerning the names Heyne uses for first edition although I do understand the occasional use of "illustrated" since the older volumes are al illustrated by Johann Peterka.

For Pern and some of the other series Heyne is the important publisher. However, other German publishing houses, like Ariadne and Blanvalet, have also published Anne's works.

Prices can be a very important indication at times. Also the change from the old currencies to the Euro Thanks for pointing out the change in postal codes.

As for not always noting/printing the year of publication; the Germans are not alone in this

Old Dec 8 2008, 04:16 PM   #17
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Dernok...Welcome to the collecting part of MoM, I hope you enjoy it here.
Thanks to Hans, and one of his incredible surprise gifts for me, I know exactly what your talking about with the textured German covers. I have a lovely German edition of *The SHip Who Sang* that has a textured cover. Its very different from the normal U.S. covers...but I really enjoy the difference in cover types, as the art work looks more like a painting on them.

Old Dec 10 2008, 11:29 AM   #18
Dernok
Eskay

Thabnks for enlightening me, Hans!

Looks like i still have a long way to go with my collection ...

Great!

Quote:
However, other German publishing houses, like Ariadne and Blanvalet, have also published Anne's works.
I have a look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Dernok...Welcome to the collecting part of MoM, I hope you enjoy it here.
Thanks. And i do already.
Old Jan 11 2009, 11:22 AM   #19
Dernok
Eskay

Hi Hans.

Looks like you'll have to update you're list of german AMC books. cbt (Randon House/Bertelsmann) will publish the Harper Hall Trilogy. They will be called Drachenlied (An accurate translation of "Dragonsong"), Drachenmeister (Which would be "Dragonmaster" instead if "Dragondrums") and Drachenruf (which would translate to "Dragonscall" instead of "Dragonsinger").

http://www.randomhouse.de/book/editi...&pub=1&x=0&y=0
Old Jan 11 2009, 11:26 AM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

Great news, Dernok, but why did they have to change the titles That doesn't make much sense, especially not since the books have been published before.

Anyway, good news that they will republish the books, that they will have new cover art (yay!) and they even have a great price as Euro paperbacks go! Kudos to the germans this time

Old Jan 11 2009, 12:31 PM   #21
Dernok
Eskay

Quote:
Great news, Dernok, but why did they have to change the titles That doesn't make much sense, especially not since the books have been published before.
Perhaps they're newly translations? Thought i don't think that the "old" ones were bad. I'll send them an email and ask anyway.

Maybe they even will re-publish the whole series? Harper Hall would be a great start.
OK. Back down to earth... Maybe they're just speculating that people will think these are "new" books?

Quote:
Anyway, good news that they will republish the books, that they will have new cover art (yay!) and they even have a great price as Euro paperbacks go! Kudos to the germans this time
Yep. Quite a sweet new years cookie! Although i do not like the "mini" dragon. Looks a bit too funny to me. But then i'm not the intended audience. cbt is a childrens book publisher.

But as a whole i like the new covers. The colours expecially.

Last edited by Dernok; Jan 11 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 11 2009, 02:29 PM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah, yes, a children books publisher. I suppose they done a deal with Simon & schuster (who also have re-released the Harper Hall trilogy in the US). These three titles are not not part of the Random House / Ballantine / De Rey fund even though cbt is, as you say, owned by Bertelsmann, which company is also the owner of Random House

And yes, you might be right in thinking the title change is part marketing.
The US release also had changes to the cover so it would appeal to younger readers, so there might be another parrallel.

Old Jan 12 2009, 01:51 PM   #23
Dernok
Eskay

Quote:
Ah, yes, a children books publisher.
Thanks.

Just out of curiosity : How many issues would an experienced, long time collector like you would purchase from this "rush" of new releases?

And how many if german AMC books were your hot spot of interest?

I'm for sure overacting by ordering 5 each but to find out how much i am would be interesting.
Old Jan 12 2009, 02:33 PM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

Dernok,

As far as I know I am the only collector who collects international AMC books. In addition I must say that I only collect Pern books in all possible languages, mainly for cover art and for the purpose of a new bibliography.

As for your second question. I'll never buy more than one copy of each possible Pern book for my own collection. It is not my purpose to tarde. However, I haev been known to do some trade in Dutch Pern books and spares I have. I sometimes can't resist a cheap deal. I know I can do someone a favour with it later. Apart from that there are the occasional collectors, most of them are members here. For instance, Cheryl collects all possible editions of Dragonflight, so I always heep an eye open and buy the occasional can't-pass-this-chance-up book for her

I never buy more than one copy of a new book actually and sometimes even try to avoid buying new, especially of the price (or total price if more volumes are concerned) is high. With prices for these new german books being ow I will buy one copy of each. I'd be happy to buy them from you provided you are not more expensive than the regular german bookshop or maybe I have material I can trade with...
Orderingfive might be an investment in the future but I suppose they need to be out of print first and that will take a some years.

I know there's a thread on my crazy collecting habit somewhere here but I think I am approaching 700 Anne McCaffrey books and magazines now...

German books I still need...?
  • Die Delphine von Pern
  • Die Renegaten von Pern
  • Welt der rachen (drei Romane in ein Band)
  • Drachenträume (drei Romane in eind Band)
Und ich glaube ich habe alle die anderen

Check my foreign Pern booklist here

Old Jan 12 2009, 03:06 PM   #25
Dernok
Eskay

Quote:
I'd be happy to buy them from you provided you are not more expensive than the regular german bookshop
I guess i wont get a discount from cbt for ordering a dozen boks at once.

No, i'm not into into dealing. At least not on the short term.

Quote:
Orderingfive might be an investment in the future but I suppose they need to be out of print first and that will take a some years.
2 years ago i would have ethusiastically said that i'm "just" 39 and looking forward to breaking the family record and reach a full century.
Having seen my parents suffer in an old people's home from then makes this vision seem rather naive and undesirable right now. 8-(

Anyway, if i like it or not, there'll propably some years to let those books "age". 8-)

Quote:
I know there's a thread on my crazy collecting habit somewhere here but I think I am approaching 700 Anne McCaffrey books and magazines now...
WOW! I haven't catalogued mine yet but i don't think i've got more than 50.

Quote:
German books I still need...?
  • Die Delphine von Pern
  • Die Renegaten von Pern
  • Welt der rachen (drei Romane in ein Band)
  • Drachenträume (drei Romane in eind Band)
Und ich glaube ich habe alle die anderen
I got "Die Renegaten von Pern" for a 27,19€ some time ago. Not by best bargain... And i'm not going to give it away!
I noticed that the extremly priced "Renegaten" and "Delphine" are going down but the "more common" one going up in price.
Old Jan 12 2009, 03:13 PM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

I noticed that too, dernok (re prices of Renegaten and Delphine). My/our time wil come! I've seen it happe too many times not to be confident of that. I've bought most of my german paperbacks when they were between 1 and 3 euro's a piece, on german eBay

We all have out lucky days and on those days I got most of my "impossibly priced" books, like a Del Rey hardcover Dragonquest for 15 UK pounds for instance

You already got 50 AMC books? Then you're definitely a collector and... probably an addict too

Old Jan 13 2009, 08:30 AM   #27
spacedog
Ludmilla Barchenka's Minion

I already think my wife is an addict. She received 3 books this week by Anne McCaffrey. Her bookshelf is overloaded with sci-fi, fantasy, kids books etc.
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote