A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Nov 23 2008, 02:26 AM   #81
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Rare Books on Ebay Right Now

Thanks Debadoo .

Back to topic: my only problem with overseas transactions in this instance would be that I'm about 7-11 hours ahead of America, time-wise so my evening would be your morning. I don't think one would appreciate me waking them at some forsaken hour of the morning and them thinking it was an emergency well in this case sorry I saw the funny side of this now, picture me as you will, "Where's my goodies, love-y? I'm trying to pay ye, ye mackerel, where's my treasure?"

Becky, that's a possibility but still a word even just to say "sorry for the delay, please give me a few days to overcome whatever difficulties that I have at moment, will be sorted out when it's over" type of thing would still be nice. Please understand that I realise that this is a possibility but a courtesy message would still be nice. Most people have access to computers even in hospitals. Trust me on this. I had to deal with an issue when Junior was a baby, he spent 4-5 months in a major hospital and even with all the stress, family support etc. I still made an effort to keep up with people, even if it was to say "I'm okay, I haven't dug any 6 foot holes and I just need a shoulder to cry on. Thanks for being here." type of thing. I realise I've gone a bit off topic here. Sorry about that folks.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2008, 07:38 AM   #82
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I got a message from the seller this morning. Her mother had leg surgery. She expects to mail stuff on Monday.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2008, 08:59 AM   #83
Hans
Master Archivist

Cheryl, I think Jube had a very good idea earlier. I'd be just as happy with a good high resolution scan of the pages (provided you can scan the seperate pages and don't have to damage the thing for it) which you could then make downloadable somewhere (giving the address to your contributors).

I mean a copy is a copy whether it comes out of my own printer or out of a copying machine.

It would save you time and cost of copying and would involve no postage, cost of envelope and paper and no trip to post office

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2008, 09:33 AM   #84
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I may decide to do that, but it's 55 pages. I guess I have to decide whether it's more of a pain to scan it or copy for mailing.

At any rate I think I'll be fine on postage costs now, as more people have pledged funds than I needed.
Old Nov 23 2008, 10:51 AM   #85
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes, scanning would be a lot of work but would leave you with a nice digital copy

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 23 2008, 11:02 AM   #86
debadoo

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Todd & Anne McCaffrey-JD Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I got a message from the seller this morning. Her mother had leg surgery. She expects to mail stuff on Monday.

Well thank goodness, I am sorry for her mom, but at least you all know now.....yeah I was going to say the same thing Hans making it into an pdf file that one could even print if wanted.....if only the OCR programs worked good enough but last check 2 yrs ago they weren't working good enough yet, if you don't know what that means I can't remember all the words but it is supposed to scan something in, figure out all the words that you can then drop into word or whatever, only it scans them multiple, or as squiggles or whatever....I first tried them 12 yrs ago with such high hopes. Does anyone remember them saying you could take a hand held scanner and scan your books into you computer, ha as if at least so far in my limited knowledge...love deb
debadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2008, 02:00 PM   #87
Hans
Master Archivist

No, no Deb. In this case I would not want an OCR document

I want an exact copy that looks like the original!

Old Nov 23 2008, 04:11 PM   #88
debadoo

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Todd & Anne McCaffrey-JD Robb
Red face Re: Rare Books on Ebay Right Now

[quote=Hans;126490]No, no Deb. In this case I would not want an OCR document

I want an exact copy that looks like the original! [/quote]

Oh I know that don't really know why I got off on that tangent, but a straight pdf file would work as well too right? I just thought of the OCR thing yesterday and blathered on about it thats all. I too love pdf files I just don't buy them anymore. You mentioned somewhere you had Pern stuff on pdf like Menolly's Songs and stuff you had on pdf and could set up on your site..what else do you have? If I may be so bold as to ask? love deb
debadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2008, 04:37 PM   #89
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes, PDF would work for scans too, that's true. I haven't much Pern stuff in PDF. Virtually all my ebooks are Microsoft Reader files. I think I've got a few illegal Russian and German Pern books as PDF.

The Menolly Sea Songs I scanned and made into a PDF because it is long since out of print and very rare. I don't think I did anything else. The new Pern Reading Order file 1.7 (updated to include Dragonheart) is also in PDF and will be downloadable from my and Anne's site soon.

Old Nov 23 2008, 09:03 PM   #90
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly

Hi,

I had lost out on my bid for the play, but have been contacted by the seller as to a second chance offer to buy it at my last bid price. I wanted to confirm that no one here was the winner (just making sure there is no double dealing going on.....).

Cheryl, if you need another donation to help with the screenplay, let me know and I would be happy to help. I was pleased to see it go to a MoM'r.

Larry
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2008, 10:48 PM   #91
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Oh WOW...I just caught up with this...

I WANT IN....TOOO !!!

Cheryl....Can I still send money by paypal...??? Let me know and I
will be in for another $10.00...I would love to add a copy
of this to my collection

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2008, 12:11 AM   #92
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Hi,

I had lost out on my bid for the play, but have been contacted by the seller as to a second chance offer to buy it at my last bid price. I wanted to confirm that no one here was the winner (just making sure there is no double dealing going on.....).

Cheryl, if you need another donation to help with the screenplay, let me know and I would be happy to help. I was pleased to see it go to a MoM'r.

Larry
This is a hard one to work out. Umm, the seller can only do it if they have 2 of the same item. Otherwise sorry Larry, it's the winning buyer's as far as I'm concerned, if they've paid for it and so forth unless they've decided not to purchase said item, then go for it. (I realise that sounds a bit mean and I appologise for it but if that's the case, being in the position of "winning buyer", I wouldn't appreciate that I've paid for the item and been told "sorry I've sold it and posted it to someone else instead", providing they've only got the one item, not 2. If the positions were reversed, I'd be upset for the winning buyer too! Did I make any sense with that answer? On the grounds of trying to work out how best to say it without being too "whatever" about it.)

Just as a point of interest, I won the stage play by Irene Elliott the seller contacted me, I've paid for it and now eagerly awaiting the parcel on my doorstep , sing sweet hallejuahs! Once received, I'll be making 3 copies and doing the same thing as the Pern Portfolio e.g. European version, Australian/NZ version and US/Canada version to circulate around the world. Unless people want their own copy, send me a pm so we can work something out with it, perhaps in similiar principle to what Cheryl's doing.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 24 2008, 12:35 AM   #93
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Congratulations Jube...this is a fantastic item...and I am so glad that you were able to win this for your growing collection.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Nov 24 2008, 12:40 AM   #94
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Cheryl, I think Jube had a very good idea earlier. I'd be just as happy with a good high resolution scan of the pages (provided you can scan the seperate pages and don't have to damage the thing for it) which you could then make downloadable somewhere (giving the address to your contributors).
Gee, thanks Hans, you made my day , thanks for the boost of confidence

Lady Maelin, thank you too! Ye book gods, that book shelf might be very handy at xmas! Hint, hint, hubby!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 24 2008, 12:41 AM   #95
Larry
Glow

jube,

The stage play by Irene is the one I am being offered. That is why I was asking. You can see it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:SCO:US:1123

This is my link for the second chance offer. Unless there are 2, not sure how this is being done.

Larry
Old Nov 24 2008, 12:47 AM   #96
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

*grumbles into the distance*

Okay to answer your question, if the seller has 2 of the same item, they will list one and if the price is reasonable, they will offer the 2nd one to someone who's bid is closest to the original bidder's offer. In this instance, your offer was near mine so they decided to offer you the same chance as for me. Now I'm off to yahoo to find out more info and see if they're trying to diddle an overseas bidder. To be sure, to be sure if there's something un-towards going on, you'll soon know about it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 24 2008, 02:14 AM   #97
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I HATE to sound this suspicious but the photo of the one currently on offer looks suspiciously new for an item of its age.

I just wonder whether somebody with a photocopier and a long reach stapler hasn't made a few extras?

It looks darn pristine for an item seller-rated as 'acceptable'; which I'd understand to be 'reasonably worn'.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2008, 02:39 AM   #98
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I HATE to sound this suspicious but the photo of the one currently on offer looks suspiciously new for an item of its age.

I just wonder whether somebody with a photocopier and a long reach stapler hasn't made a few extras?

It looks darn pristine for an item seller-rated as 'acceptable'; which I'd understand to be 'reasonably worn'.
If that would be the case, P'ter, we'll post pictures of the original and compare notes with Jube, so she can check and take apropriate action if necessary.

As far as I know, though, Anchorage press still sells the stage play and I do often see things on eBay classified as rare of which I usually go "huh"?

Old Nov 24 2008, 04:29 AM   #99
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Now I'm suspicious! Trust me folks if this person has done something wrong, he/she has dealt with the wrong person.

Point 1: the photos in Larry's, is the exact same as mine.

Point 2. Larry is your feedback score 197? The reason why I ask is that there was 2 other bidders, yours would be the $35.99 version, same as the one you listed above, besides myself - there was 3 all up. I hate to be the other poor bugger (please excuse the lingo here - I know I shouldn't swear but, the temptation was too great) and find out that he/she's been diddled too.

Point 3: In Larry's one, the condition's acceptable. Mine's used. Same for the 3rd person, I hate to see what happens there but I won't know who it is, to pass the message on. Hell and high water.

Point 4: Now I'm really fired up.

Point 5: Here's my view. Make your own judgement and compare to Larry's.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=120332197895

Point 6: If he/she's kept the original, I will put them through ebay/paypal torture as my right to not getting the item I paid for. After all I don't want to pay for an expensive photocopy simply because this seller thought they were onto a good deal with 3 easy targets.

I hope you all understand my ramblings. I'm not that crazy, I swear! Even if most people seem to think so at times. I trust my family and friends better then my own enemies, well when it's dealt Anne McCaffrey'ish items.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 24 2008, 06:51 AM   #100
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I'd swear that its the same photo, but it may be a 'stock' one. It's certainly the same seller 'aaobuttons' with a score of 981.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Nov 24 2008, 07:55 AM   #101
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Guys, I'd drop all the suspicion.

The copy I own of the play looks brand new (except for slightly rusting staples that don't show from a cover view), as have a few others I've seen. It would be obnoxious to reproduce in detail, with neatly folded pages and the right card stock cover, stapled perfectly in the fold, and with the edges all trimmed straight to the same length. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be hard by hand, and it would take proper tools.

I'm sure the seller did use the exact same picture, why go to the trouble of taking a second one when the two copies she has probably look identical?

It was understandable to be worried when no one had heard from the seller, but her having multiple copies of this for sale is not worrisome. As Hans said, the publisher Anchorage Press still sells this play new, so it's not so hard to aquire.
Old Nov 24 2008, 10:01 AM   #102
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I agree with Cheryl, please don't worry about this seller.
I've bought from her before and I know she has had some connections in the past that enabled her to get these wonderful items. She may well have two copies of the play or more.
In an email talking about the Guide she was selling she says that she's not into collecting anymore since having children.
Old Nov 24 2008, 10:41 AM   #103
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Its a shame that this seller is having to sell her collection of Anne McCaffrey items. I will agree with Cheryl and Becky...sometimes a seller has more than one item, and only puts up one at a time to drive up the price...when they get a good bid on the first, more perhaps than they thought they would, they would be silly not to offer the second or even third to the other high bidders...IMO

Old Nov 24 2008, 10:52 AM   #104
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm not a (eBay) seller but own multiple copies of several Anne items which I might sell in the future or not.

Do reserve judgement untill you have seen the item, that's always best.

Old Nov 24 2008, 12:18 PM   #105
Larry
Glow

Cheryl (and others),

Thank you very much for the additional information, I will not worry about it now. I originally checked just to ensure I was not causing a problem for any other forum members.

Larry
Old Nov 24 2008, 02:38 PM   #106
Hans
Master Archivist

Larry, rest assured that you'll never "cause trouble" by bidding consciously or accidentally against another MoM member. It will never be held against you. There are a few people here who would (rather) not bid against each other but such a thing is purely on a personal basis and no agreement exist or is expected between members here active on any buying site on the internet.

Old Nov 25 2008, 12:11 AM   #107
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I rechecked yahoo messages and the reason why I said about being suspicious after P'ter's and Hans' comments, was that he/she told me that they had been at work all week. Now I realise I sounded "vindictive" before in my previous reply - I try not to do that but to tell Cheryl something different to what they told me, smacks of something wrong to me. Now other then waiting until the item comes in so that people can prove right or wrong about it, me included, I'm in a state of "umm...was this really the right move or not for me?" I'm sure people would understand that. Well, crossing fingers that I hope they do and that I got the correct item.

Larry by all means if you wish to go for it, GO FOR IT! It is possible they may have 2 copies as previously stated. It's possible. I have done it myself on several occasions . And my appologies if I've done the whole she-bang of being upset. It was a shock that they did it, that's all. More likely, the position was reversed and I've upset you. Please accept my appologies if that's the case.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 26 2008, 06:19 PM   #108
Larry
Glow

jube,

No worries, you never did upset me at all. I understood your concerns as I might have had them also if the positions were reversed. I look forward to you receiving your item in short order and in good condition. Please post here when you do!

Thanks, Larry
Old Nov 27 2008, 05:44 PM   #109
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Thanks Larry and everyone for putting up with me. The information you've provided so far will help me when the item arrives.

THANK YOU!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 28 2008, 01:49 AM   #110
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
Edith

If you want in, you can send me a sterling cheque and I'll increase the payment to Cheryl to cover us both plus P & P. Let me know soon as I want to send Cheryl her money asap
As discussed in PM- sure thing! Though it'll be cash not cheque!

(sorry for the late reply, life is very, very hectic!)
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2008, 07:18 PM   #111
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Life's always hectic!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Dec 1 2008, 09:57 PM   #112
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Okay, this is the book I received today. P/h was overpriced by about US$8-9 dollars, I'm not sure what to make of it, due to the fact that it's completely different to the item description. Thoughts anyone - Hans, Cheryl or whoever has a proper copy of this book. I need your opinion before leaving feedback as I'm still suspicious about it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!

Last edited by jube; Dec 2 2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Changed photographs and resized them for Hans.
Old Dec 1 2008, 10:53 PM   #113
Becky
Coelura

Jube - yours looks like mine with a minty greenish colored cover and the front and back type look the same. I will admit that in her photo that the cover looked white, tho whether it was the first page of the booklet I don't remember. But yours is indeed like mine. Mine is a later copyright from 1991, it was copyrighted twice prior to that, 1980 & 1982 by Irene Elliott. I hope yours is one of the original from 1980!

I got my package today also and will post a pic of it as soon as I get one taken.
Old Dec 2 2008, 02:40 AM   #114
Hans
Master Archivist

Jube, a better (bigger) picture of the copyright data would be necessary but the colour of the cover is correct and it certainly looks the genuine thing.

Old Dec 2 2008, 08:50 AM   #115
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Resized the photos to suit Hans' question.

Becky - having a decent scanner beside me, means I can get it done more quickly then footling around with a camera. When we brought it, it had to serve several functions at once - scanner, copier and printer, hence coming out with decent pictures at times as shown above, in my last thread.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Dec 2 2008, 01:29 PM   #116
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Mine arrived yesterday, but as I wasn't done driving home the post office is holding it. I'll go pick it up in a few hours!
Old Dec 2 2008, 03:33 PM   #117
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Mine is also a 1991 copyright (I bought it on Amazon years ago - wish I'd bought a dozen )

The ISBN number is different, though, mine is 0-87602-286-7. Probably means I just got an earlier printing?

Otherwise, type-face, green colour etc looks absolutely the same
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2008, 04:48 PM   #118
Hans
Master Archivist

Seems the ISBN is "stickered in" (or over) in Jube's copy.

Hargreaves doesn't give a publication year for the printed play. The original play was first staged in 1980 as reflected by the copyright page though.

Old Dec 2 2008, 05:49 PM   #119
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Stevenson-Payne gives Anchorage Press; Aug 1989 as the publication date and The Adventure Theatre, Glen Echo (which I thought was a brand of malt whisky), Maryland as the venue of the 1980 first staging.

C. S. Lewis

Old Dec 2 2008, 10:37 PM   #120
Becky
Coelura

My copy is the 1991 with a sticker over the address, under Anchorage Press.... BUT my ISBN is not stickered over.....0-87602-286-7....... same as Anneli's.

So Anneli.....is there a sticker over your address???

Anyone else have something different than what we've spotted??