A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Dec 29 2008, 11:49 PM   #1
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Default Thoughts on Easton Press Publications

Iím curiousÖ how much value do my fellow MoMerís put in the Easton Press publications of Anneís books? This question would include both her Pern and non-Pern series.

I for one would like to own some more of the Easton Press copies. I find though that unless you come across by chance a cheap copyÖ and sadly by cheap I mean less than $80Ö they are way out of my price range. Most go for around $200 on eBay and even more expensive on bookfinder.com.

Any comments?
Old Dec 30 2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Thoughts on Easton Press Publications

They seem to be getting cheaper and for an avid eBay watcher there are regular chance to grab one at a reasonable price, but like you said, most often they are expensive. I find most of them ugly, overdone, gaudy and adding absolutely nothing to McCaffreydom though I find the original price of about $60 not unreasonable *shrug*

Personally I don't like them and I especially dislike most of the gold decorations on the leather covers. It's just a way of making money and I would always rather have a first edition reglar hardcover (signed) than an Easton Press. Something about them rubs me the wrong way and unless they come on my way for about $25 I will not buy them.

The only one I do like a little is the old version of the Dragonflight (there are two), not the one with the spiderweb decorations but the one with the Michael Whelan dragon stamped in gold on the front. Chances of that selling for $25 are slim

My distaste is proably also caused by the fact that people become a member of the Easton club, buy the books for $55-$60 and then try to sell them at two to three times the price.

Yes, they are collectible

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'm not trying to collect them, they're too expensive and since they are never true first editions, I don't see the point. I wouldn't mind owning a copy of the one Hans mentioned (Dragonflight with Whelan art-stamped cover), but I've never seen it go for a price I was willing to pay.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2008, 11:12 AM   #4
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I wouldn't mind owning a copy of the one Hans mentioned (Dragonflight with Whelan art-stamped cover), but I've never seen it go for a price I was willing to pay.
I lucked out with getting the Dragonflight, Whelan art-stamped cover publication for $90 for Christmas. That was the only one I really wanted and the price included a free upgrade to 2-day shipping, so I guess in reality I really only paid about $60 for the book. To me it was worth the money and itís probably the only Easton Press publication Iíll own, unless they go for a much cheaper price,

There are actually a couple copies on eBay right now that I'm keeping my eye out for, Dragonsdawn and Dragonseye. However, as with most of those publications they start around $25 and by the time bidding wars are done, Iíve seen most go from $100-200.

I like these publications because of the designs on the front. Dragonseye is also one of my favorite Pern books and it would be nice to have that one in a pretty version. Unfortunately though my book money is limited, so Iíll be done if bidding goes over $60.
Old Dec 30 2008, 11:23 AM   #5
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
My distaste is proably also caused by the fact that people become a member of the Easton club, buy the books for $55-$60 and then try to sell them at two to three times the price.
Hans I totally agree with you!! I canít understandÖ well I canÖ people like moneyÖ but to me it asinine to sell a book for double its value especially when some have been posted for years. Makes me question what the sellers are thinking.

Iíve also found that even when the publications are put on eBay for a starting bid of $25, that by the end of bidding wars they sell for 5-6 times that amount.

I actually called Easton Press in November to ask if I could buy the books directly from them. I was told that unless I became a member of their club, that I could not buy the publications. Even then for every 10 copies sent, Iíd receive 1 signed copy and itíd be a 1 in 10 chance of that being a McCaffrey book. I said the hell with it, .
Old Dec 30 2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Dernok
Eskay

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
They seem to be getting cheaper and for an avid eBay watcher there are regular chance to grab one at a reasonable price, but like you said, most often they are expensive. I find most of them ugly, overdone, gaudy and adding absolutely nothing to McCaffreydom though I find the original price of about $60 not unreasonable *shrug*
I got a signed Dragons Fire in June for 75$ at ebay. Mainly to have a look at an Easton Press edition.

And yes it was a bit "overdone and gaudy and added nothing to McCaffreydom" but still a fine quality book.

If i could get all of them for the 25$ each Hans is waiting for (and an elizabethan style bookcase) it would be a pretty picture. :
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30 2008, 02:21 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

seeing the prices Dragon's Fire Easton Press go for that isn't at bad price at all, Dernok! And I'll agree the quality of the book is good and the (archival) quality of the paper should be top notch

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 1 2009, 11:30 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I personally love the look of these books...I do have the Whelan Dragonflight...with his beautiful gold dragon on the front of it...and of course mine is signed by Anne woudn't have bought it otherwise.

I would love to have all of the Easton Press editions of Anne's books. I do love the gold on the leather look...and the books are made beautifully...but like everyone else, these are just to expencive. All that said, I could still never see myself passing up a true signed 1st edition of any of Anne's real books, for any Easton Press edition, signed or not.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly

I also really like these books, I have collected most of them over the years, but you really have to take care as it is easy to overspend on them. As always, I have learned something from this thread, I had not realized there were two editions from Easton of Dragonflight. I have the patterned cover, not Dragon version of the cover. Thanks to this, I now must embark on another multi-year search to find a reasonably priced copy!
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2009, 07:36 PM   #10
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
I personally love the look of these books...I do have the Whelan Dragonflight...with his beautiful gold dragon on the front of it...and of course mine is signed by Anne woudn't have bought it otherwise.

I would love to have all of the Easton Press editions of Anne's books. I do love the gold on the leather look...and the books are made beautifully...but like everyone else, these are just to expencive. All that said, I could still never see myself passing up a true signed 1st edition of any of Anne's real books, for any Easton Press edition, signed or not.
Thatís the reason Iíve been keeping an eye out for the Easton Press publications. I love how they look and as Iíve mentioned before the pretty editions catch my eye, .

I have to admit though that I donít like the Easton Press publication of, Skies of Pern. The cover has an oriental looking dragon on it that looks nothing like a Pernese dragon.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...rnEaston-2.jpg
Very disappointing in my opinion especially after how beautiful the Michael Whelan cover is of Dragonflight. Oh how I love owning that book, .

I would really like to get a hold of copies of the Chronicles of Pern: First Fall and Dragonseye, the cover and inside art (especially for CoP) is beautiful. I would like Dragonsdawn as well, because its one of my favorite Pern stories. However, I havenít found that one yet at a decent price. There was one recently on eBay, but the previous owner had put their name in the book and I didnít want to spend that kind of money on a book with someone elseís name in it.
Old Jan 2 2009, 11:13 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Uni...I totally agree, I never cared for that one either especially...but I do love the green collor of it. Good Luck in finding a nice copy that fits into your budget...just keep looking and I'm sure it will come along.
Maybe someday I'll add a few more of the Easton Press, to my collection...just for the pretty look of them.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jan 3 2009, 12:10 AM   #12
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Thanks Lady Maelin. I'll be sure to let you know how the two I'm keeping my eye out for on eBay work out. You never know.
Old Jan 3 2009, 12:48 AM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Uni....I'll Keep my fingers crossed for you to win at least one of them!!!

Old Jan 3 2009, 07:33 AM   #14
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I think we all give ebay a workout at times if there's something we're particularly after.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land

I have one Easton Press Anne books..........Dragonsdawn.(published in '88 and still like new).......a signed copy at that....but I agree, I normally cannot afford thier books. I lucked out on this one not long ago as it was part of a lot of several of her books including a nice copy of The People of Pern........I got the whole lot, Easton Press book and all for $60. I don't know why it went for that price and likely I won't get that kind of deal again for a long time!
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2009, 04:44 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

We all deserve a deal like that once in a while

Old Jan 4 2009, 12:02 PM   #17
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanne View Post
I have one Easton Press Anne books..........Dragonsdawn.(published in '88 and still like new).......a signed copy at that....but I agree, I normally cannot afford thier books. I lucked out on this one not long ago as it was part of a lot of several of her books including a nice copy of The People of Pern........I got the whole lot, Easton Press book and all for $60. I don't know why it went for that price and likely I won't get that kind of deal again for a long time!
Deanne did you get that deal off ebay? I remember that or something similar up for bidding, but then I never came back to it.

Congrats though on your win!!
Old Jan 4 2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land

Yes, it was on Ebay......that's how I end up with several copys of some books as I often buy lots rather than individual books though not so much lately as selling has been very, very slow but it's hard to pass up a really great deal.
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2009, 11:37 PM   #19
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Haha, I totally agree with you Deanne. Great deals are very hard to pass up. I'm just beginning my collecting career, so most of my copies are still paperback.

I unfortunately gave up on bidding on the Easton Press publication of Dragonseye. I donít even know what the final bid was, by with 2 hours to go the price was already $150 and people were still in bidding wars. Iíll have to try my luck again next time.
Old Jan 5 2009, 11:52 AM   #20
Dernok
Eskay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorntig View Post
I unfortunately gave up on bidding on the Easton Press publication of Dragonseye. I don’t even know what the final bid was, by with 2 hours to go the price was already $150 and people were still in bidding wars. I’ll have to try my luck again next time.
Well, there're about a dozen (McCaffrey related) Eastons on ebay right now.
Even a (slightly damaged) one below Hans' 25$ threshold.

All of them from the USA which adds another 15-20$ in shipping costs for your potential europeans competitors.
Old Jan 6 2009, 09:40 PM   #21
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dernok View Post
Well, there're about a dozen (McCaffrey related) Eastons on ebay right now.
Even a (slightly damaged) one below Hans' 25$ threshold.
I know the book of which you are speaking and I wasn't interested in it, because it has the previous owner's name on the inside.

Another book I wouldn't mind... but I prefer to have books with no writing in them... except of course for Anne's signature.
Old Jan 6 2009, 11:20 PM   #22
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Not that I'm shoping for one I've think I've got the Winter Catalog 2009 from them. "Shrug Shorlders" I think its is Easton Press.

Just a question here, from you who have any of their book, what is the font size? I just would like know can't read the catalog they sent me.

Not that I'm looking to buy anything right now. I think of turning in shreaded paper, so it don't temp me.

I rather buy a hardback book with good paper inside it, if it not signed that OK by me what do call them 1 editions I think? Not that reading that kind of informaton is easy on the eyes for me.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2009, 02:54 PM   #23
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
Not that I'm shoping for one I've think I've got the Winter Catalog 2009 from them. "Shrug Shorlders" I think its is Easton Press.

Just a question here, from you who have any of their book, what is the font size? I just would like know can't read the catalog they sent me.

Not that I'm looking to buy anything right now. I think of turning in shreaded paper, so it don't temp me.

I rather buy a hardback book with good paper inside it, if it not signed that OK by me what do call them 1 editions I think? Not that reading that kind of informaton is easy on the eyes for me.
Iím pretty sure the font size is at least 12, if not that, then 14. The font itself looks to be a cross between Arial and Times New Roman.

Unfortunately even if you do have the Easton Press winter catalog you cannot order any of Anneís books separately, signed or not signed. The only possible way to get an Easton Press publication of Anneís books is to sign up for the Masterpieces of Science Fiction club. Even then itís not worth it, because you have to pay around $60 for each book and then thereís only 1 in 10 chance of every ten books you receive that itís a signed Anne book. Nasty little trick for Easton Press to make a lot of money because some people donít realize that before they sign up.

Most people on MoM donít consider the Easton Press to be true first editions since theyíre only published once in a finite number of copies. There are some editions I would like because of the cover and inside art. Currently I only have the 1998 edition of Dragonflight with the Michael Whelan cover art. Very pretty.
Old Jan 8 2009, 10:55 AM   #24
Dernok
Eskay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorntig View Post

I know the book of which you are speaking and I wasn't interested in it, because it has the previous owner's name on the inside.

Another book I wouldn't mind... but I prefer to have books with no writing in them... except of course for Anne's signature.
Got a Dragonflight for 38$. But without _any_ writing in it.
I would be completely happy if i only had to pay the 4$ - and not $18 to Europe - for shipping within USA.

Not a dramatically spectacular bargain but still a nice book. (I hope )