A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Mar 1 2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly
Default Unusual places to find a story by Anne

Thanks to this forum, I have learned that Anne has published stories in a wide variety of books, some I would not have guessed. I thought it would be fun for folks to describe their most interesting finds.....

I mostly collect hardcover 1st edition, US & UK. But the listing of Anne's short stories linked to from MoM has gotten me started on finding the rest of them. I have about half of those stories listed on The Many Works of Anne McCaffrey (my wife does NOT thank you all for this

About 2 years ago I was trying to find a copy of the Smallest Dragonboy for my daughter to read, but could not readily find one. I eventually found it in a book called "Beyond the Stars: Tales of Adventures in Time and Space", a book for kids published in 1983.

This included stories by George Lucas, Jules Vern, Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clark. It is a UK copy I purchased from someone in Australia.

I also just purchased, from eBay, a copy of BEST MILITARY SCIENCE FICTION OF THE 20TH CENTURY (2001). I would never have thought to look there for a Dragonrider story.

So, what are the most unusual books that you have found one of her stories?

Larry
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2008, 01:27 AM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Unusual places to find a story by Anne

Hmmm, I'd have to say that the most unusual thing I've found by Anne is the introduction she wrote to a recent publication of Peter Pan. It's got an interesting bit of info in it that I've not seen in any other publication.
Not sure if that quite counts, since it's not actually a story, but I was very surprised to fine Anne associated with Peter Pan.

Larry - did you also know that there are several different publications of Beyond the Stars? There are two different covers for it too. Anne is in great company in that book!
Old Mar 2 2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly

Becky,

I did not know there were other versions of Beyond the Stars - this is the only version I have ever come across. But I figured if anyone would know, it would be someone from this forum!
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2008, 05:23 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I know we had a thread in which we discussed the differences between these books, the Cathay, Octopus and St. Michael editions etc. if I remember correctly and why they existed (but can't find it now).

I have two of them and the two different covers.

Curious editions? Don't get me started
Most of those are foreign language though.

As for unusual places to find a short story...
Maybe the latest Christmas anthology or the story o how to write in the Ron L. Hubbard anthology or the "Orange Cat" in the fanzine Albedo One or...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2008, 05:21 PM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I got the Peter Pan about a year ago.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2 2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Becky
Coelura

P'ter - I think it was after I mentioned it in this forum. I love her intro!
Old Mar 3 2008, 03:26 AM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Becky: I think your thread on it was before I joined.

I remember asking about it AFTER I bought it and found (of course) that you long timers knew all about it.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3 2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Becky
Coelura

P'ter - my memory it not the greatest. I remember you posting something about it after I mentioned it. And didn't search to see if I could find the thread.
Old Mar 3 2008, 12:32 PM   #9
Brenda

I'll never forget the thrill I got the first time I spotted "The Smallest Dragonboy" in my 7th-grade reading book! I was still pretty new to Pern at the time!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5 2008, 01:47 AM   #10
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I'll never forget the thrill I got the first time I spotted "The Smallest Dragonboy" in my 7th-grade reading book!
I think I might have used the same book in my 7th grade class. I remember discovering that story in the book, and reading it the moment I found it. I had never heard of that short story until I found it in that textbook. I think I had gotten through all the published Pern books at that point in time, and that would have been through Masterharper. 7th grade for me would have been from 1999 to 2000. I remember reading Katherine Kurtz's books in 7th grade, and some other things more than reading anything by Anne McCaffrey.
Old Mar 5 2008, 01:02 PM   #11
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I'll never forget the thrill I got the first time I spotted "The Smallest Dragonboy" in my 7th-grade reading book! I was still pretty new to Pern at the time!
I read that story in year 7. It was the first lesson I ever took at that school (since I swapped schools halfway through year 7), and now I wish I still had the cringeworthy work we had to do for it. xD

Mine's in a little green booklet though (which i got signed in Copenhagen), and I'm guessing it was pulled from the book, since it was abridged.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2008, 07:57 AM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Which Peter Pan book? My brain's fuzzy, I haven't heard of this one!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6 2008, 09:31 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

This one, Jube: click me

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Mar 7 2008, 12:51 AM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I have that one....It tickled me that she would add something to that book...I have always loved the story...and now even more!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7 2008, 02:53 AM   #15
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

I have a different copy then to that one, Hans. O well, I'll have to look for it now.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 18 2010, 12:43 PM   #16
T2KincaidDano
Darbul

Fan of: Talent Series
Now Reading: "Magic's Price" by Mercedes Lackey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Thanks to this forum, I have learned that Anne has published stories in a wide variety of books, some I would not have guessed. I thought it would be fun for folks to describe their most interesting finds.....

I mostly collect hardcover 1st edition, US & UK. But the listing of Anne's short stories linked to from MoM has gotten me started on finding the rest of them. I have about half of those stories listed on The Many Works of Anne McCaffrey (my wife does NOT thank you all for this

About 2 years ago I was trying to find a copy of the Smallest Dragonboy for my daughter to read, but could not readily find one. I eventually found it in a book called "Beyond the Stars: Tales of Adventures in Time and Space", a book for kids published in 1983.

This included stories by George Lucas, Jules Vern, Robert Heinlein and Arthur C. Clark. It is a UK copy I purchased from someone in Australia.

I also just purchased, from eBay, a copy of BEST MILITARY SCIENCE FICTION OF THE 20TH CENTURY (2001). I would never have thought to look there for a Dragonrider story.

So, what are the most unusual books that you have found one of her stories?

Larry
Not sure if this qualifies as unusual, but I was looking around too for those short stories that some of Anne's later novels were based on and I found this one: Get off the Unicorn. (Photo also below). Three stories are included which are some that the Talent books were made from: "Lady in the Tower" (1959 - Anne's First published story), "A Meeting of Minds" (1969), and "Apple" (1969).

T2KincaidDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2010, 01:14 PM   #17
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Jez has just told me that he used to have that copy (The St Michael version - you guys do realise that's Marks&Sparks' old publishing arm?) of Beyond The Stars, but gave it away to charity years and years ago

Silly man!

T2KincaidDano - I've not seen that cover of GOTU, but the book itself isn't unusual. That and The Girl who Heard Dragons are the two major collections of Anne's shorts.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2010, 01:50 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

That is the common US paperback cover for Get off the Unicorn.

As for the rest, Kath is totally right (including the hubby statement ) and the cover shown is one of 3. Two same ones and a variation, pubished under imprints St. Michael, Marylebone and Cathay Books. I think there must be a thread on them under dust, deep in the archives

Old Nov 21 2010, 05:14 PM   #19
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

By the way, Hans, managed to find a Peter Pan with an intro by AMC and I understand what Becky meant Woohoo! Paperback only but it's on my bookshelf

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Nov 28 2010, 09:05 PM   #20
sarahlin_13
Glow

I remember my second year of teaching, thumbing through one of the Language Arts text books for my Grade 7 and 8 class and discovering "The Smallest Dragonboy". I couldn't believe that I was able to share a story by my most favourite auther with my students. It was awesome.
sarahlin_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2010, 01:37 AM   #21
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlin_13 View Post
I remember my second year of teaching, thumbing through one of the Language Arts text books for my Grade 7 and 8 class and discovering "The Smallest Dragonboy". I couldn't believe that I was able to share a story by my most favourite auther with my students. It was awesome.
Mine wasn't AMC but a Star Trek: Teleplay 'Troubble with Tribbles' who has an connect with Anne but that is as far as I'm going.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote