A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Apr 12 2007, 02:33 PM   #1
caro39
Darbul

Fan of: Freedom Series, Pern
Now Reading: Stephanie Plum series
Default Help! I can't find it!

I thought it might be helpful if we had a thread where people could post their lost treasures, and maybe someone would recognize it and help! To get started, here's mine:

I read a book as a child that I loved, but for the life of me I cannot remember the title! I remember almost all of the plot, though, and here's a synopsis:

Willy Boy lives with an old woman who he considers his grandmother. On his 13th birthday, she tells him the story of his mother arriving and dying while he was an infant, and she gives him a quilt bag that contains a gold coin, a whistle, and a gold watch with the initials "WB" (for Willy Boy). She sends him off to find his roots. He discovers that when he blows the whistle, various animal friends will join him and help him in some way. On his journey, he encounters a girl who can't cry, a Fool who apprentices him, and a sinister man who is always associated in some way with Light. At the end of the road is a country whose ruler is missing, and Willy Boy is forced by the Prince of Light to answer 3 questions to free the Weaver - in song, no less. The refrain was always "sing ninety-nine and ninety". Willy Boy answers the questions and frees the lord, only to find he's the Weaver's son (WB stands for Weaver's Bairne).

It was a classic fairy tale, predictable but compelling. Help!
caro39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12 2007, 03:19 PM   #2
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight
Default Re: Help! I can't find it!

Sorry I can't help, sounds like a great yarn
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12 2007, 05:40 PM   #3
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

It would appear to be "The Nine Questions" by Edward Fenton.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2007, 06:47 PM   #4
caro39
Darbul

Fan of: Freedom Series, Pern
Now Reading: Stephanie Plum series

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! I've been searching for YEARS without getting a hit on this. I'm pretty sure I've used that title and still not found it. Of course, I don't have $65 to buy the book, guess I'll have to save up! BLESS YOU!
caro39 is offline   Reply With Quote