A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 14 2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon
Who's who in real life?

I mean who do the characters on Pern remind you of in your real life?

For me, ever since I started reading Pern (which was a while ago, I admit), I've always pictured my own grandmother as Lessa. Don't laugh!!! My grandma's very diminutive(5 ft. tall on her tall days), has the dark hair of Lessa, and is an absolute firecracker (she has a strong personality)She's Lessa- that's all there is to it. Of course, she is old woman now; everybody ages- but still can make me laugh!

Also, for me Sharra will always remind me of the person who was my best friend in high school, Peggy. She's tall, has the lovely long hair that Sharra is described to have, and also has the talent and interest in healing that Sharra is supposed to. Unfortunately, I lost Peggy in a car accident a few years ago- and no, you don't have to be sorry! One of the traits that both Peggy and Sharra share is not wasting time with self-pity. But when ever I read about Sharra, it's Peggy that I see. She loved Pern with me- we were the little kids who sat under the tree in the backyard together discussing dragons.

So, I was just wondering: who in your life do the people on Pern rermind you of? In lookws or personality, or both! It can be someone like an actor or entertainer, or someone you're related to, or someone you don't know (wow, that guy across the street really looks like F'lar!)
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2008, 02:18 AM   #2
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman
Default Re: Who's who in real life?

My grandfather always puts me in mind of Robinton. Not because of his singing voice - oh hell no - but his sense of humour and the urge you have to hug and forgive him no matter how much he drives you up the wall. Oh and alcohol. Beer and wine. He loves it.

I get told by people I remind them of Piemur if that counts. Piemur that looks like Lessa, I think my guitar teacher said.

My youngest brother is F'nor. He can be a right out crap stirrer, but he's dependable, cheeky and is always there when you need him.

My two best friends...Kylara and F'lar. Annette isn't a slut to be sure, she's just very "all about me and myself" sometimes and needs a good jolt to get off her throne. Alex is...just F'lar. He's reticent and quiet and can be a real annoyance sometimes, but amazingly he can be very gentle and caring. You love him no matter what.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Lara
Whacky Wordsmith

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I have a cousin who is Mirrim. Chronic Foot-and-Mouth, every time she opens the one she puts the other right in it! And then makes things worse by following you about in tearful repentance. Kind, efficient, bossy and a total pain in the you-know-what, only to be taken in very small doses!
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2008, 06:07 AM   #4
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I would say my father was Master Robinton all over, loved to have a drink of good wine when it was available, loved to see the kids accomplish something, great at solving all problems (socially, politically etc) but just no good at singing, everything else just falls into place.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2008, 09:52 AM   #5
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

Robinton and Silvina could be my grandparents. -Chuckles- My grandfather for his humour, and my Nana for her no-nonsense but kindly approach to things.

When my auntie is in a certain mood, she reminds me of Lessa. -Snickers- (For those who went to Copenhagen, that Auntie is the one I'm taking about).

A guy here at Uni, Pete, is someone who reminds me of a mix between F'nor and Fandarel. He's a rugby lad, but he's a kind guy, but he also has that almost cheeky dependability as well. -Chuckles-
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Wow, thanks everyone! Now at least I know that I'm not alone in this one; other people see some of the characters from Pern in their lives, too!

Possibly Anne McCaffrey modeled lots of her characters after people that she knew or knows- I know that many writers do, including myself! In fact, as I recall reading somewhere, I know that she did.As my teacher in a writing course said once, just living life in a great source of characters and stories!

Just out of curiosity, why do you think that you remind people of Piemur, Dragongirl? He's a pretty cool guy. . . Do they mean that you remind them of an adult or younger Piemur?

My grandfather definitely could be Master Robinton as well; I think the Master is almost the "model" grandfather figure! Mine is a retired policeman, so he can be a little over-protective, and besides, he adores Lessa!(my grandma) As far as I know, he has no musical ability though; he reminds me of Robinton in other ways.

OK, here it is. . . F'nor reminds me of a combination of my dad and several cool guy friends. I fully expect to get laughed at, so go for it. That, I finally figured out, is why I seem to have such a curiously strong attachment to the guy, I've never met him and most likely never will. My dad has this never-ending sense of humor, and is really dependable, and can just be summed up as "a nice guy". If you don't mind me saying, he's also a real looker, which is another F'nor-like quality! I'm completely biased, though, and I readily admit it.
Old May 19 2008, 07:04 AM   #7
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

Weyrlady, what a lovely starting post!

I always desperately wanted to link any of Anne's characters to people in my life but ..... hasn't happened so far (although I'm starting to view my MiL as Dunca .....)
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2008, 07:30 AM   #8
Kerianth
Jewel Junk

Oh, yours too?!

Nah, mine isn't all bad ... but she's definitely got Dunca's 'busybody' nature!

Cibryen Weyr
Kerianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 12:30 AM   #9
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: Lady Helen & The Dark Days Club - A.Goodman

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why do you think that you remind people of Piemur, Dragongirl? He's a pretty cool guy. . . Do they mean that you remind them of an adult or younger Piemur?
Search me. I'm apparently a mischievous tempered creature but you'd have to ask the others for an honest account of my personality.

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 02:29 AM   #10
Greenrider Dawna
Welladay Whale

Fan of: Harper Hall series
Now Reading: This changes frequently!

I had a friend, whom I met while I was an undergraduate in college, who reminded me of Jora in both appearance and personality. Unlike Jora, she was actually quite smart, although she often made unwise choices in her personal life.

I also had a grandfather who, now that I think of it, was a bit like Robinton. He was tall and musically gifted: he had a beautiful singing voice and could play the piano by ear. Even though he never pursued this talent, nor had any formal training, I can still hear the melodies he used to play and sing.
Greenrider Dawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2008, 05:58 AM   #11
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerianth View Post
Oh, yours too?!

Nah, mine isn't all bad ... but she's definitely got Dunca's 'busybody' nature!
LOL I could go on a character assassination, but that's not a very nice thing to do ...... but the more I think about it ....
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2008, 03:21 AM   #12
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Actually, a character assasination might be kind of morbidly fun. . . you're right about it not being very nice, but still. . .

Fortunately, I can't think of anyone in my real life who reminds me of Fax! That's probably a good thing
Old May 21 2008, 06:12 AM   #13
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

One of my friends is most definitely a Terry!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2008, 12:25 PM   #14
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I know a few Jaxoms.

-Long pause-

-Shudders a lot- And yes, they irritate the top teeth out of me. xD
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2008, 01:24 PM   #15
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey

My dad (in his prime) = Fandarel
Grandma Boots = Dunca (yeah, another one)
Mom = Manora
Uncle Oran = Shonagar (but without the voice)
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2008, 06:12 PM   #16
Emeraldrose
Holder
Drudge

Fan of: Dragonriders Series
Now Reading: The Great Hunt Robert Jordan

I have to consider this question for a bit...I know that certain aspects of my father would match Robinton...He played guitar and violin and had a beautiful singing voice until he lost it to cancer...but his entire family 9 siblings were musical...I have several cousins that play piano and compose songs (some professionally) and one aunt who paints as well...on second thought though
My father may have been more of a Petiron...I know he had no patience with me and my brother to teach us ....I apparently am tone deaf...or as my sister in law (a music teacher) said..."A natural flat"....

I will have to think on it a bit to see if any Jaxoms,Piemurs or Lessas are recognizable...
Emeraldrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2008, 10:10 PM   #17
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

It took me a while, but I came up another one. I have a cousin who, at certain times, is Kylara. Fortunately not all the time, but there are moments. . . :-) :-)