A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Jun 1 2009, 07:39 AM   #1
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Trip to see Tania & Mike

Last Wednesday I set off for Llantrisant to go to Tania's anad Mike's concert.

I left early to go down the pretty route through mid-Wales hoping to be able to stop off and do some sketching. Unfortunately, the weather got worse as I drove and doing watercolours in the rain is rather futile so, although I snatched a couple of photos en route, my first stop was Brecon where I took time out to explore the small Cathedral.

The Cathedral has some really good trees in its precincts ...

Despite all this I still managed to get to the Windsor Hotel (T & Ms' venue) by lunchtime. So; what to do for seven hours? The weather was getting slowly better so I headed for the coast. The track to the beach at Llantwit Major (yes: that's its name) was closed off for road works so I explored further west and found a place called Southern Down where I followed the signs to the beach.

What I discovered was this place ... news.bbc.co.uk/local/southeastwales/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_

So I had a dryish walk and spent a very happy few hours.

I think this cliff looks like something out of Lord of the Rings with a figure gazing out to sea.

The rock strata are so flat, the wave cut platform looks almost like waves coming in ...

And I went looking to spiderclaws, fingertails and rockmites ...

There are three walled gardens left. A Kitchen Garden ...

A pretty way through to the orchard ...

And a walled lawn, here viewed from the folly ...

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)

Last edited by P'ter; Jun 5 2009 at 08:37 AM.
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Trip to see Tania & Mike

Hey, you had a nice ride! Great pics, thanks P'ter But next time, you might want to post them a tad smaller, say between 800 - 1024 pixels wide?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2009, 01:37 PM   #3
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Good pictures P'ter, and I'm glad you had a good trip. Some of those places are close to where my parents live.

Did you realise that Southerdown beach was where they filmed a few Dr. Who episodes, including the final parting scene on the beach between The Doctor and Rose?
Old Jun 4 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

OH WOW!!! Peter...once again you have taken some incredibly lovely photos. How about putting up some of the sketches you've done from some of your photos? You do have the most interesting views on some of your adventures...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2009, 01:38 AM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

"Wot Hans said about the photos being too big, to look at everything properly". I had to look several times to view everything.

Certainly very interesting though!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Lovely pics Peter! I wish the wave-cut terrace had been in better focus as that's a lovely bit of geology (and I a geologist in another life).
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2009, 08:38 AM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Just added in another view of the 'platform' just for you Momer Superior.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Jun 5 2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Oh, that is utterly magnificent, Peter!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2009, 01:11 PM   #9
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Isn't it strange? Head a bit further west to the Gower and the strata are about vertical so a totally different beachscape.

C. S. Lewis

Old Jun 5 2009, 09:36 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Oh I completely agree with Cheryl...Peter your new beach scene is just magnificent ...I never realized that England had these kinds of beaches... they're not only beautiful but incredibly interesting looking as well. I would love to stroll down a beach like that just to see what lurks in the rocks and water.

I do hope you'll keep taking these lovely little trips around the countryside...especially with your camera in tow...I think we'll all enjoy seeing where you've journeyed...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2009, 04:39 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

The sixth picture is marvelous, I could spend a lot of time on that coast photographing! And framed it just right with the grass in the foreground, the high rock on the left and the low beach on the right.

I would probably have run it through phtoshop to give it esepcially more luminance but the composition is great.

I do notice that some pics are a bit out of focus but not all, so it's not your camera. Were you hasty?
And P'ter, that shot of the little archway is great but you really hould have leveled it!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2009, 03:27 PM   #12
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

The cliff face one was on auto focus but perhaps I sould have used a different setting where it samples a number of spots rather than centre spot only as there wasn't anything there for it to focus on.

The arch way photo is vertical (look at the post propping the tree) but perhaps I should have thought ahead and tilted it camera slightly as my current photo programme doesn't have a rotate function.

C. S. Lewis