A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 28 2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)
Default A Pernese Herbarium

It's done.

After about a week of doing more research than I've put into some papers, I have a Pernese Herbarium done.

Eliara's Pernese Herbarium (Eliara being my Healer character.)

Hans, Cheryl, if you are at all interested, I have it in htm format. Right now it's on the server with our Weyr website, but there's no link from our main page.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 07:12 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Thumbs up Re: A Pernese Herbarium

Very very very interested! I'll email or pm you soon so we can work out details on what you'll let me/us do with it!

Congratulations on finishing it!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 07:55 PM   #3
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings
Default Re: A Pernese Herbarium

Thats really good Anareth!!!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 08:00 PM   #4
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Thank you. But why do I never notice major typos until I've published something? The entry on licorice has one sentence missing a verb, for cripe's sake. (I mean, if you know what Addison's disease is you can probably guess, but the point of this is most people don't...I had to look up the symptoms, and yeah, knowing the missing verb is "stimulates" is rather important.)

Oh, well. That's what the edit command is for.
Old Nov 28 2004, 08:36 PM   #5
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth
Thank you. But why do I never notice major typos until I've published something? The entry on licorice has one sentence missing a verb, for cripe's sake. (I mean, if you know what Addison's disease is you can probably guess, but the point of this is most people don't...I had to look up the symptoms, and yeah, knowing the missing verb is "stimulates" is rather important.)

Oh, well. That's what the edit command is for.
it is indeed! and very usefulful, might i add!

Old Nov 29 2004, 06:06 AM   #6
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

nice site;
I mentioned glovecap to mum and she seemed to think it was probably in the foxglove family at least.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 09:16 AM   #7
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Awesome job, Anareth! Oldive and Capiam would be proud!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 10:02 AM   #8
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz
Thumbs up Re: A Pernese Herbarium

Very nice job Anareth!! I'm going to look at it in more detail when I get home from school tonight but it looked very interesting!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 10:17 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Smile Re: A Pernese Herbarium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
Awesome job, Anareth! Oldive and Capiam would be proud!
Yes they would! Shall we vote as a group to promote Anareth to Journeywoman Healer?
Old Nov 29 2004, 12:05 PM   #10
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Yes they would! Shall we vote as a group to promote Anareth to Journeywoman Healer?
i think so!

Old Nov 29 2004, 03:27 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
It's done.

After about a week of doing more research than I've put into some papers, I have a Pernese Herbarium done.

Eliara's Pernese Herbarium (Eliara being my Healer character.)

Hans, Cheryl, if you are at all interested, I have it in htm format. Right now it's on the server with our Weyr website, but there's no link from our main page.
As said and asked Anareth, I would be VERY interested to be able to include the data in the encyclopedia. So, if you give me your permission, preferably by email, I will include your descriptions into the Pern Encyclopedia.

However, when people contribute to it I do want to acknowledge their work and would like to do so as you sometimes see in real (scientific) encyclopedia's; by putting the name of the submitter/writer of the article at the end of the article.
My question to you is: which name would you like to have mentioned?

Remains my compliments for the work you have done, it looks great!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 03:30 PM   #12
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Great idea! She's more than earned it with the research. But you make it very difficult to set her a an exam for a mastery, Sariel!
But a promotion has my full support!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 29 2004, 06:15 PM   #13
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Quote:

WALK, ARARETH! WALK!
Old Nov 29 2004, 07:03 PM   #14
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Quote:
That is a splended idea! Walk them tables Anareth!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 09:33 PM   #15
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Eep! If this was my Journeyman's project, I'm afraid of the exam you're going to give me for Master! :o

*walks tables, tries not to trip and humiliate self*

Hans, I'll e-mail you--I stuck my own 'credit' in there at the very end, before the copyright stuff we're all familiar with (*sings*"Pern's not mine, it's still Anne's...")
Old Nov 30 2004, 04:19 AM   #16
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Congrats Anareth! Wear those knots (and your personal status of Journeywoman Healer) with pride.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 09:42 AM   #17
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I was starting to wonder if I was being stingy in not suggesting mastery rather than journeymanhood, but to be a Master Healer you need to demonstrate knowledge of more than medicines: first aid (simple and traumatic), basic surgery (appendectomies and cesearians), and some OB/midwifery wouldn't hurt either.
Old Dec 1 2004, 04:01 PM   #18
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Well, my next project (based on a post I just wrote) is designing Eliara's emergency-response kit. She's a Weyr Healer during a Pass, so I envision her duties as frequently bearing a lot of resemblance to a MASH unit surgeon, and as I was writing I realized she'd need a kit to hand that she could grab whenever something happened that she wasn't prepped for (a Fall would have advance warning to set up a surgical unit) but would need a first-response kit for. Must remember to save that e-mail and work out what she'd need...probably ought to design an efficient layout for the triage area set up for Fall, too.
Old Dec 1 2004, 05:44 PM   #19
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Well, my next project (based on a post I just wrote) is designing Eliara's emergency-response kit. She's a Weyr Healer during a Pass, so I envision her duties as frequently bearing a lot of resemblance to a MASH unit surgeon, and as I was writing I realized she'd need a kit to hand that she could grab whenever something happened that she wasn't prepped for (a Fall would have advance warning to set up a surgical unit) but would need a first-response kit for. Must remember to save that e-mail and work out what she'd need...probably ought to design an efficient layout for the triage area set up for Fall, too.

Triage for a Fall... step-ladders. Tables. Sailcloth. Reeds... this is all stuff I recall Moreta calling for. Needlethorn .... fellis, numbweed...
Old Dec 1 2004, 07:26 PM   #20
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Quote:
Good Luck with that!!!

Old Dec 1 2004, 11:16 PM   #21
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

You know, one thing that hit me while reviewing the books looking for medical stuff--they really overrely on fellis and numbweed. I mean, you don't think about it, but what it boils down to--they're treating everything with Novacain and morphine. I mean, yes, for some things like threadscore you might want a fast-acting topical anaesthetic, but using it for cuts and bruises? Sometimes it's good to be able to feel pain. And narcotics...I've only been on heavy narcotics once. It was nice at the time, because I was still in pain but no longer cared, but it's not really something I'd recommend for, say, arthritis care or a headache.
Old Dec 1 2004, 11:25 PM   #22
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Quote:
You know, one thing that hit me while reviewing the books looking for medical stuff--they really overrely on fellis and numbweed. I mean, you don't think about it, but what it boils down to--they're treating everything with Novacain and morphine. I mean, yes, for some things like threadscore you might want a fast-acting topical anaesthetic, but using it for cuts and bruises? Sometimes it's good to be able to feel pain. And narcotics...I've only been on heavy narcotics once. It was nice at the time, because I was still in pain but no longer cared, but it's not really something I'd recommend for, say, arthritis care or a headache.

But when you are A) dealling with a world with limited options and B) dealing with a subject you, as a writer, don't know all that much about, you KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Then again, look back at history. For a while, the biggest persriptions were Laundum and penicillian... back whe there was only one type of pennicillian. Laundum, which is highly addictive, was used for everything from teething babies to migraines to poor appitites (Although I like the perscription hubby's doc hands out for deminished appitite better... a pint of larger!)

Last edited by AnnMarie; Dec 1 2004 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 1 2004, 11:39 PM   #23
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Pennecillin was only invented in the late 1930s--was laundam still legal OTC then? That was around the time they started having more serious narcotic controls, IIRC. And the reason they only used one -cillin was because there was only one. Though some infections were still better-treated with the sulfa drugs.

But the DLG makes a big deal out of all these things they brought, too, and they only use the two in the books, and in situations where it's not necessarily a good idea. (Like I said, pain can be good. It's a signal.) And if you've GOT willow, or meadowsweet, fellis would be a poor choice for, say, long-term treatment of arthritis. Willow would treat the cause, fellis would just numb and eventually addict you.

And, for me, anyway, when you're writing something you don't know much about, you research! (This herbarium will be useful outside Pern for me--I actually have a bunch of herbal books because of another character I wrote. May yet write that series.)
Old Dec 2 2004, 09:43 AM   #24
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

they use different concentrations though for different problems. I mean Menolly's given a mild salve while for a threadscored dragon you need pain relief quickly, plus i think Numbweed's antiseptic, cos thats why F'lessen makes Tai put some on her cut hand.
A mild numbweed would be like a quicker version of a paracetamol really.
Old Dec 15 2004, 06:26 PM   #25
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

just thought i'd share this. I dunno if capiscum or elder are available in pern but it seems the sort of medicine theyd use.
Its the cold medicine I brought today, and it does provide relief-quickly.

Quote:
capiscum stimulates the circulation and opens up small blood vessels, elderflowers are anti-catarrhal and stimulate perspiration. Peppermint oil is antimicrobial
i dunno how accurate this is, but its what the stuff does. i really love the warnings label though.

Quote:
(usual, no liver probs, brain probs, pregnancy etc) then... side effects: none. if you see one, tell your doctor or pharmacist... overdose: no cases known.
i just thought that its the sort of medicine you might find on pern, with added fellis or numbweed though

could've done with numbweed when i had my sore throat...
Old Dec 15 2004, 10:57 PM   #26
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

I figured they might have peppers (which is where you'd get capsicum) but that it is, really, mostly a culinary plant. (As a medicine its most common use is in topical applications--be careful, though, it can burn.) As for elderflower, wasn't listed with the herbs in the one book I had that actually presented real laboratory results to determine whether things had actual medical benefits that could be reproduced in a lab (as opposed to others which accepted alternative/folk medicine at face value.) *shrug* Not meant to be all-inclusive. I also omitted a few other plants like citron that are sorta kinda halfway medical, but which are really most valuable as food crops.
Old Jan 14 2005, 08:41 AM   #27
kendal
Inactive

This may be a bit late now (seeing as I only just joined the forum) but this link might be of interest:

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/per.../ref/usage.htm

The plants listed are those that can be found on Pern. Obviously, a lot depends on herb's as to where they grow.

And if, like me, you have no idea what some of those terms mean, then this should help too.
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/per.../ref/terms.htm

It seemed daft to me not to put that last part in.
kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2005, 06:34 PM   #28
Myt
Crafter
Senior Apprentice

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Something, always something...

Looks Good!
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22 2005, 01:29 PM   #29
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

I think I saw that angelfire site, but I didn't really read other fan stuff much. (And I did include a glossary on mine, too, though only of terms I didn't think were obvious. Like, who doesn't know what TB is? If you've been to school in a first-world country you've been tested for it.)

And another plug for Han's encyclopedia project, see relevant thread here. I'm pleased to be a tiny part of it, and am anxiously awaiting the day I can buy it in printed form!
Old Feb 25 2009, 06:34 PM   #30
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Hi Anareth!
Did you get that Pern emergency-response kit done? I'm just curious as what it would look like. Is the kit (or a list of what's in it) posted somewhere?
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2009, 07:31 PM   #31
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Anareth...I just read through most this amazing work you did in 2004 and I think you did a marvelous job on it.
Its just to bad that this got lost in the back of between, and that more MoMers haven't been able to see it.
I really wish I would have read this before I did your portrait...I would have made sure you had an emergency Kit shown in with you.
Fantastic work...!!!

LORD...I can't believe I missed this all these years...UGGG!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2009, 11:27 PM   #32
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Triage for a Fall... step-ladders. Tables. Sailcloth. Reeds... this is all stuff I recall Moreta calling for. Needlethorn .... fellis, numbweed...
Himm oil for the handsbecoming be numb by the numbweed while you work, redwort to wash in, bowls, treaded thread, clamps, your sewing kit and helpers.

Glass syringes, and ging wrapped package of needlethorn (sorry about my spelling here.)

Nothing about a steplader either. Just a table to sand on for wing repairs. as far as I recall. Trust bottoms for the table to stand on.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Oct 12 2014 at 11:42 PM.
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2009, 02:16 AM   #33
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Quote:
(Although I like the perscription hubby's doc hands out for diminished appitite better... a pint of larger!)
Hey AnnMarie: a tot of sherry works well too. I've known hospitals dish it out before meals.

I knew one old boy who had signed the pledge in his early teens. He was in hospital for removal of his prostate and needed building up for the op. The Doc prescribed it but we had to give it him in a graduated medicine glass and refer to it as "your tonic". When he was discharged he asked the Doctor if he could have a presciption for his tonic!

He was given it in Latin complete with a warning to the pharmacist.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2009, 10:46 PM   #34
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Hey AnnMarie: a tot of sherry works well too. I've known hospitals dish it out before meals.

I knew one old boy who had signed the pledge in his early teens. He was in hospital for removal of his prostate and needed building up for the op. The Doc prescribed it but we had to give it him in a graduated medicine glass and refer to it as "your tonic". When he was discharged he asked the Doctor if he could have a presciption for his tonic!

He was given it in Latin complete with a warning to the pharmacist.

They must only do that in hospitals in the UK! I've never been offered anything of the sort. . .

Personally, I always liked the "Harry Potter brand" of medicine. "Here, have some chocolate-it'll make you feel better." (!)
Old Feb 27 2009, 11:03 PM   #35
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Oh, yes! Chocolate is great medicine!!
Old Feb 28 2009, 01:04 AM   #36
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I'm with Kevia...I'll take the chocolate instead of the sherry. Its the only kind of medicine I know, that taste so good you don't care if your ever cured.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 2 2009, 10:12 PM   #37
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

On that note, another thing that works extremely well is laughter- my favorite kind of treatment to administer or receive! Also, this may just be a personal preference, but I've found that the whole medical "thing" is better outdoors. Scenery's better!

I was wondering what a post-AIVAS Pernese emergency response kit would look like. The info in AIVAS files gave the healers so much, so many advances in what was basically a very pre-hospital, no-antibiotics society. Seriously, things must have been frightening.

I think with the advances in the Smithcraft, better equipment could be made (though in no way like the mass production of today!) For instance, instead of re-using needlethorns, using sterile metal needles instead. I know that a lot of things can be improvised, but there are limits!

I took a course once in outdoor first aid called Wilderness First Responder that focused on exactly that-improvising, 'cause the ambulance and hospital is sometimes really far away. Fascinating course, and I'd highly reccomend it, even though at first I was afraid of the whole concept! Something likke that would definitely apply here.
Old Mar 3 2009, 02:41 AM   #38
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
I was wondering what a post-AIVAS Pernese emergency response kit would look like. The info in AIVAS files gave the healers so much, so many advances in what was basically a very pre-hospital, no-antibiotics society. Seriously, things must have been frightening.
Oh yes! We see a little of that in The Skies of Pern but socially things were shaken badly as there had been a belief developing in the last two millennia or so that it was wrong do anything physical to the body, e.g. cut/operate.
Ad then comes AIVAS...
More or less modern medical treatment inasfar it was possible at the time, was one of the biggest bones the Abominators had to pick with AIVAS. I always compare it somewhat with overly religious christians we now have who say everything is the will of god, so no need to have your children get a vaccin, blood transfusion and such *argh* Imagine those going rabid and attacking hospitals (halls) and trting to prevent people being helped and operate upon... and you got a nice little scenario for some sort of a terrorist-like movement.

Old Mar 9 2009, 08:56 PM   #39
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I like your comparison of the Abominators with the 'will of god types'. They are so similiar in some rather frightening ways.

Thinking about dragonriders in particular. . . they're kind of a special case. It's mentioned a lot of places that dragons (even the 'higher' colors) will freak out if their rider is hurt, for obvioius reasons. So, they way I see it- when treating a dragonrider you're basically treating two individuals, that are connected- whether or not both individuals have a physical injury. And what 'freaking out' is-panicking, due to thinking too much- could be lessened by actually doing something.So why not allow the dragon to participate in the treatment? They'd feel that they were 'helping' their rider, and the rider would probably feel better faster.

Just an idea that I had.
Old Mar 11 2009, 12:01 AM   #40
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Weyrlady...I think that's exactly what Moreta did with her Queen dragon Orlith, when they would treat the wounded dragons and riders as a team...they would get both the wounded dragon and the rider to work together to heal whichever one was wounded.