A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Feb 10 2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Dragonflight, Easton Press version

Yeah, I won it. I finally have my first collection piece, I bought the Easton Press version of "DRAGONFLIGHT" . The book is so beautiful, bright red with gold gilt everything, and the Michael Whelan picture inside the cover. I am so in love with this book. My husband ask me if I was going to put it under glass, or cover it with a fuzzy pillow case and sleep with it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Dragonflight, Easton Press version

Congrats, Maelin. Be aware however, collecting AMC can be slightly addictive

WE KNOW

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2006, 05:23 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

We considered starting a 12 step program to break the addiction, but none of us want to break it!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Hmmm, you really wanted that book! And now I know your eBay nickname and shall have to add you to the list of people I won't bid against...
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2006, 03:00 AM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, I really did want that book, I tried last week on another one, but I just got too expencive, so I backed out. Then this one showed up and I bid, but, then I thought I had lost this one too. But this morning my husband was still watching it, and at the last minute took the bid. He supprised me with it at breakfast, with "Happy Valentine's Day". What a wonderful guy, he is just the greatest.

I am not afraid of the addiction, I don't have enough money to get too bad . Unless I win the lottery, then look out e-bay ! ! ! But my husband says that he knows just what I want for presents from now on

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 11 2006, 03:12 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thanks Hans, the next one that I am going to look for is the "Dragonquest" from Easton Press, they are the most beautiful books that I have ever seen. I want them, all of them, but I have years to collect them, I have to save up some more money.

I also got a copy of "Killashandra", while I was passing through, does that count toward the addiction ??? oh my am I going to start to get the shakes every time someone mentions "E-Bay" or "Easton Press" ??? Oh I guess I had better fess up to getting a "Dragonriders Boardgame", too . Yep, there's the shakes, oh my I've got it. I will be fine as long as I don't start to drool.

Old Feb 11 2006, 01:15 PM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Easton Press also did another Dragonflight that has the Whelan cover stamped in gold on the front, not just the page inside the book.
I've seen those on eBay too. I've got the one you have and it is beautiful. Wouldn't give it up for anything, it was a gift from a friend.
Old Feb 11 2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

I think there's one of each currently for sale on eBay, the cheapest of the two is $200 I think.

What did you list as price for the EP edition, Becky?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 13 2006, 12:51 AM   #9
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
I think there's one of each currently for sale on eBay, the cheapest of the two is $200 I think.

What did you list as price for the EP edition, Becky?
Not sure I'm understanding your question, Hans. I've seen both copies of the EP, with the gold dragon stamped on the cover and without. But since I really can't afford them, I don't pay any attention to the prices. The one I have (without the gold dragon) was a gift to me from a friend. I have no idea how much she paid for it.
I'd love to buy the EP's but they are out of my price range. I've got all of the US 1st eds and some UK 1sts for books that didn't have a HC US edition. Those I'll save for and pay more $$ for, but EP's, nope not for this gal.
Old Feb 13 2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

US first editions of Dfilght and Dquest are worth a fortune too, far more than the regular Easton Press one (which is offered for $200 "buy now").

Sorry, but I never bought your collectors guide, Becky. That is why I asked what you lsted in it for the Easton Press editions. That was my question.

Old Feb 13 2006, 08:13 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coelura1
Easton Press also did another Dragonflight that has the Whelan cover stamped in gold on the front, not just the page inside the book.
I've seen those on eBay too. I've got the one you have and it is beautiful. Wouldn't give it up for anything, it was a gift from a friend.

This is the one that I was fortunate enough to get. It has the gold "Whelan" dragon on the front cover, and inside it has his cover drawing of the book. It is so beautiful.

Old Feb 14 2006, 12:28 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
US first editions of Dfilght and Dquest are worth a fortune too, far more than the regular Easton Press one (which is offered for $200 "buy now").

Sorry, but I never bought your collectors guide, Becky. That is why I asked what you lsted in it for the Easton Press editions. That was my question.
Ah, Hans! Now I understand! The collectors guide doesn't have any prices listed. It's a book for collectors to track their collection and mark what they paid for it also. So, YOU get to list prices. Oh, you'll be happy to know you're being sent one!
Old Feb 14 2006, 12:35 AM   #13
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin
This is the one that I was fortunate enough to get. It has the gold "Whelan" dragon on the front cover, and inside it has his cover drawing of the book. It is so beautiful.
Ah! Good on you, for some reason I was under the impression you got the other one. If you're gonna collect 'em that's the one to have!
Old Feb 14 2006, 08:26 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Ah, Hans! Now I understand! The collectors guide doesn't have any prices listed. It's a book for collectors to track their collection and mark what they paid for it also. So, YOU get to list prices. Oh, you'll be happy to know you're being sent one!
you're "looking" at one grateful Master Archivist Thank you!

Old Feb 15 2006, 12:30 AM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Ah! Good on you, for some reason I was under the impression you got the other one. If you're gonna collect 'em that's the one to have!
I am not sure if I am going to collect it so much as "HUG" it for the rest of my days. I don't ever plan to sell or get rid any of them, not even my old beat up copies that I have had forever.

I do plan to buy more of them when I get the chance, so yes I guess I am a collector, but not to "re-sell" them, only to have them and to keep them.

Old Feb 16 2006, 12:01 AM   #16
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
I am not sure if I am going to collect it so much as "HUG" it for the rest of my days. I don't ever plan to sell or get rid any of them, not even my old beat up copies that I have had forever.

I do plan to buy more of them when I get the chance, so yes I guess I am a collector, but not to "re-sell" them, only to have them and to keep them.
Oh, you better never sell 'em! I go and gaze at my collection so often! Even bought a bookcase just for them. One with doors on so I don't have to dust so often! But there's glass in the doors so I can still see the books.

I've got another bookcase with my reading copies in it. Those I do dust. One with doors for them will come later. I'm getting lazier and lazier!
Old Feb 16 2006, 06:02 AM   #17
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

mine don't get a chance to need dusting!
I've only got the one special copy, the rest of mine are mainly UK hardbacks or corgi paperbacks!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16 2006, 10:08 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I also have a glass enclosed book case that I use for all of my collection of Anne's books. Right now it is packed full and I am having to redue it to have a special place for my "Dragonflight" book, I am going to light it up on it's own shelf. My hubby is going to put me up another wall shelf for the older paper back, so that all of my hard covers can still go back into the curio cabinet.

Old Feb 21 2006, 11:49 PM   #19
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
I also have a glass enclosed book case that I use for all of my collection of Anne's books. Right now it is packed full and I am having to redue it to have a special place for my "Dragonflight" book, I am going to light it up on it's own shelf. My hubby is going to put me up another wall shelf for the older paper back, so that all of my hard covers can still go back into the curio cabinet.
Oh, to have a hubby who will actually put up a shelf! Mine will only do it if I 'nag'. I don't have but a couple of them because of this. Hence the bookcases, now those he doesn't mind because he doesn't have to do much with them. Just prop 'em up!
Old Feb 22 2006, 12:30 AM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Coelura, I have one of those really great guys, of a husband. I don't know why he picked me but I have forever been thankful, he has been doing great things for me for over thirty years. Shelves are only one of his specialties, finding my "Dragonflight" was another. He is the one that goes and finds me all kinds of treasures. I can't wait until he finds the next one.

Old Feb 22 2006, 11:16 AM   #21
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Coelura, I have one of those really great guys, of a husband. I don't know why he picked me but I have forever been thankful, he has been doing great things for me for over thirty years. Shelves are only one of his specialties, finding my "Dragonflight" was another. He is the one that goes and finds me all kinds of treasures. I can't wait until he finds the next one.
Congrats on both the hubby and his talents! I hope he finds you many many treasures!!!
Old Feb 22 2006, 11:39 AM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Hah! It's all he can do in return for finding that particular treasure that he can hardly ever pay for...

And Becky, if your hubby is like that I'd be putting up those shelves myself and if he's not happy with that and thinks he does it better... well, he'd better get it done!
Needless to say of course that, like Maelin's hubby I not only put up all the shelves here, I actually like doing so!

Old Feb 22 2006, 08:38 PM   #23
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, Nice to see that you too like to do the odd building around the house. My husband is doing it this week-end again, I just love the smell of sawdust, and he is so cute in his tool belt.

Old Feb 22 2006, 11:54 PM   #24
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
And Becky, if your hubby is like that I'd be putting up those shelves myself and if he's not happy with that and thinks he does it better... well, he'd better get it done!
Needless to say of course that, like Maelin's hubby I not only put up all the shelves here, I actually like doing so!
Oh, I actually get the implements out to do the job and then I get told that HE'LL do it. So I'll just lay the tools down and wait a bit. If he doesn't start then I'll pick them up again. He finally gets frustrated and does it.
I'm just afraid of putting major holes in the walls. Pictures are no problem, but wall anchors and stuff are to scary for me. Tho if I REALLY wanted it done I would do it. And to his credit, we moved into our current home in July last year and we had all pictures and shelves put up by the first week in August. For him that was speedy! So he did well, THIS time.
Old Feb 22 2006, 11:57 PM   #25
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Hans, Nice to see that you too like to do the odd building around the house. My husband is doing it this week-end again, I just love the smell of sawdust, and he is so cute in his tool belt.
I had a neighbor get really excited when her hubby rented a pressure washer to clean their drive and walk ways. She actually had him do ours too, just so she could see how clean it made those areas.
I think she actually bought him one for Christmas! And for all I know, she uses it now!
Old Feb 24 2006, 11:04 AM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I am more of a "TOOL BELT" person, power washer have just never done it for me, but a great big hammer !!! WOW!!! now lets talk excited.

Old Feb 26 2006, 12:53 AM   #27
Becky
Coelura

Too funny! (and I mean that in a cute way!)
Old Nov 24 2007, 05:40 PM   #28
debadoo

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Todd & Anne McCaffrey-JD Robb

This an old thread but I am curious how many there are of annes in easton press been trying to find out but without sucess and thought one of you might know thanks Happy Holidays love deb to all
debadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2007, 01:41 AM   #29
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

debadoo, I have never taken the time to figure out how many of the Easton Press there are...this one that started this thread, was the only one I bought...as soon after I bought it I found out that the books that I had been collecting for over thirty years were the real collection...and that the Easton Press editions lovely as they are, aren't particualarly a true Anne collection...but the books that we all wait for, and read time after time, and take to get a precious signature from Anne, now those are a true collection in my opinion.
Someone in the know will come along with the right answer though...just was for a bit...and you will find out all you want to know and more, about Easton Press. I do still love my beautiful book, and it was lovely re-reading this thread again...it all seems so long ago now when I bought that book...so many things have happened since then WHEW!!!

Old Nov 25 2007, 06:42 AM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

debadoo;

Published by Easton Press are:

Dragonflight (2 editions), the one with Whelan's dragon on the front is in their "Masterpieces of Science Fiction" series, the other is often called the "spiderweb" edition. The first was published in 1988, the second in 1998.

And in the series "Sogned first editions of Science Fiction":
Dragonsdawn (1988) 2500 copies
Pegasus in Flight (1990) 2000 copies
The Chronices of Pern First Fall (1994) 1200 copies
Dragonseye (Red Star Rising) (1997) 1100 copies
Nimisha's Ship (1999) 1200 copies
Pegasus in Space (2000) 1325 copies
The Skies of Pern (2001) 1175 copies
Dragon's Fire (2006) 900 copies

Old Nov 25 2007, 11:54 AM   #31
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Thank you again Hans, I knew that someone would come along with all the knowledge and put up the information that debadoo wanted.

Gee...I thought Easton Press had more of Anne's books than that...I thought they had the whole Pern series at least re-done. They still are very beautiful books...but not near as beautiful as my *Drug in the dirt* copy of *Ship Who Sang...that Anne signed to me in person...good to know there is a loving place in this world for those old beat up/marded up old books like mine.

Old Nov 25 2007, 12:46 PM   #32
Becky
Coelura

Lady Maelin - you are right, I think, there are more that they've done.

There are lots of unsigned ones that Easton has done but I can't find a list and I don't collect them so I can't say how many there really are.

If you search on bookfinder.com or abebooks.com or ebay or amazon you should be able to find several of them. Good hunting!
Old Nov 25 2007, 06:10 PM   #33
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky, It was debadoo, that was looking for them...not me. I don't collect those anymore than the first one I bought...I learn from that book and this thread, I already owned a real collection...and just added on to it from here.
Thanks for the advice though...I'm sure that debaboo will make good use of it.

Old Nov 26 2007, 11:11 AM   #34
Becky
Coelura

OOPS! I forgot to but debadoo's name in front of that bit. Sorry Maelin!!
Old Nov 27 2007, 01:49 PM   #35
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...No problem, I'm also happy to know this information....just for future references...!!!