A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 18 2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Dragongirl

Big Grin Robinton's crush

I'm sure everyones read in DLG that Robinton has a mad crush on Lessa. we're also given several references in the series about this. I'm just very curious as to what everyone else thinks of this?
Old Nov 19 2005, 03:18 AM   #2
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Re: Robinton's crush

Just so you know, look in the Information Desk section for a thread to interest you, Dragongirl.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19 2005, 10:38 PM   #3
Dragongirl

Big Grin Re: Robinton's crush

How do I get to it?
Old Nov 19 2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Dragongirl

Big Grin Re: Robinton's crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragongirl
How do I get to it?

Don't worry I found it
Old Nov 20 2005, 06:09 AM   #5
Juri
Inactive

Question Re: Robinton's crush

Robinton didn't have a crush on Lessa! He said, and he ridiculed stupid Meron, "Benden's wine has more attraction for me than its Weyrwoman..." Anyway, Kasia used to be his wife and he and Silvina had a relationship. Not to mention all the "friendships" he made at holds, as F'lon put it. So I don't agree, as you've noticed. Sorry, Dragongirl, whoever you are, but I'm like that when I get stirred up...
Juri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20 2005, 11:49 AM   #6
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

But he is often said to be very "fond" of her. I think that whilst *I* never got that impression, it is possible to get it from the references that we are given.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2005, 06:45 AM   #7
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.

Hi everyone I finally got registered!! Thank u so much Ghyle and Cheryl

Now anyway...

Alright, Alright! I'm just saying! *cringes* But if you read DLG it says he does and that's where I got it from ok?

This is what it says:

With Robinton' assistance and faithful support, Benden Weyr was able to reastablish it's authority on the eve of Threadfall. Privately he has always had a mad crush on the Weyrwoman, partly because she is unattainable, and partly because she is unconsciously sexy. Publicly, he swears a greater allegience to Benden wine.

Like you I could hardly believe it when I first read it, but after going through the books it does make more sense to me. But hey it's just me*shrugs* think what you wanna think
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2005, 09:03 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I think there's some evidence in the books of the crush; Robinton's comments to Meron were just to deflect him - why would he want to admit his feelings to that sharding excuse for a Lord Holder. I don't think his feelings are anything he'd act on anyway; he's got a soft spot for Lessa, but it's more of an infatuation than an actial sexual desire. Rather like the crushes some of us likely have on certain celebrities, that wouldn't manifest into anything should we actually meet the object(s) of our affection.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2005, 04:37 PM   #9
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

In some ways its very paternal.

Lessa, despite being at least my age (20) in df, does not act with any maturity in some areas. (not that I do all the time )
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2005, 07:57 PM   #10
Brenda

And you can be extremely fond of someone without it being what I would consider a "crush".

Quote:
But if you read DLG it says he does and that's where I got it from ok?
Privately he has always had a mad crush on the Weyrwoman, partly because she is unattainable, and partly because she is unconsciously sexy.
Just so you know, the DLG is NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate. You need a lot of grains of salt to take it with. But is this really a quote from the book? Or did you paraphrase it? Could you give a page number if it is a quote, please? Thanks!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2005, 12:54 PM   #11
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
In some ways its very paternal.

Lessa, despite being at least my age (20) in df, does not act with any maturity in some areas. (not that I do all the time )
She is both more mature and less mature than her age suggests, due to the way that she has grown up, with a deep need for revenge on Fax who murdered her family. Also, as she could not let ANYONE know who she was, she was probably socially stunted, and when she first no longer needed to hide, then some of these oppressed emotuions could come out, and she could in a way, 'relive her childhood'.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2005, 12:43 PM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

so you could see Robinton, who had a relatively privilidged upbringing feeling sorry for Lessa, and wanting to keep her safe.
Its more paternal.
If Robinton has a crush it's for Menolly!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2005, 05:08 PM   #13
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

I think Robinton has great respect, admiration and affection for Lessa. But it never occurred to me that he would want to bed her Although I also agree with Cheryl that his words in front of Meron were to try and prevent that *expletive deleted* from bad-mouthing the Weyrwoman in front of others

However, as Edith said, it's quite explicit that he would very much have liked to bed Menolly, but was held back from taking action by a) the difference in their ages and b) the knowledge that Sebell - whom he regarded as the son he would have wished to have - was devoted to Menolly. The moment in The White Dragon when they are on the boat and Menolly says "I loved you first, Master", is a real tear-inducer for me
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24 2005, 06:40 AM   #14
Dragongirl
Weyrling

ok guys i just wanted to hear your opinions and try to get a better perspective on it. Honestly it had me abit bemused but thanks for your opinions.
Old Nov 24 2005, 10:15 PM   #15
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda
And you can be extremely fond of someone without it being what I would consider a "crush".

Just so you know, the DLG is NOTORIOUSLY inaccurate. You need a lot of grains of salt to take it with. But is this really a quote from the book? Or did you paraphrase it? Could you give a page number if it is a quote, please? Thanks!

Sorry Brenda you'll have to wait till I get back home as I am in Melbourne right now and didn't bring it with me. On the Notoriously Inaccurate, I've got another one that confuses me. It says in MoP that Lessa's parents are Kale and Adessa but in DLG it says omething else which I cant remember right now. I think Ive just lost all faith in DLG
Old Nov 24 2005, 11:10 PM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

While the DLG is notorious for it's errors, don't thorugh the baby out with the bathwater! Once you strip out the mistakes, what remains is a useful and still sizable guide to Pern. I've got a list on my Pern website of the errors I've found in the DLG (only through the first edition though, I haven't gone through the extra 30 or so pages from the second ed in detail).

Had the DLG been written after Masterharper, I'm sure it would have the names of Lessa's parents correct. But since it was written first, their names (which may have been concocted by Jody or may have been suggested to her by Anne) were not remembered and used by Anne when she wrote MHoP.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2005, 05:55 PM   #17
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda

Yes, it is a quote. It's on page 83, right under the picture of the Masterharper's pin
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2005, 02:40 PM   #18
Chimaerrha
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Robinton has had lots of "crushes" over the Turns - not only on Silvina and Kasia, but a bit of one on Lessa (I wonder what would've happened if he had been Searched and Impressed) and one on Menolly, because I recall he and her being alone and he was saying how he regrets that he's too old for her.
Chimaerrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2005, 07:13 PM   #19
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Ah yes hes had quite a few crushes the poor dear....

I found another error...About F'lessan's Impression to Golanth

In Dragondrums it says there's no queen egg but in DLG there is a queen egg... Shards it gets confusing sometimes

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)