A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Feb 10 2018, 03:46 PM   #1
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Pratchett the plagarist

I have just been rereading The Colour of Magic after many years and realised (again) how the section 'The Lure of the Wyrm' draws on Anne's Pern.

His female (would-be) leader is called 'Liessa'. The dragons have equine heads. And most of the named male riders have a punctuation mark in their names.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2018, 10:35 AM   #2
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3
Default Re: Pratchett the plagarist

Possibly. In all other respects, however, the plots are so wide apart as to have very little in common. I rather think that it was a subtle compliment. That said, I noticed the similarities too when I read the book.

Anne herself has often named characters for people whom she admired, Johnny Greene being the typical example. She's even named characters for people she met online or at cons.

I must admit that I have't read Elizabeth Moon's Kylara Vatta books, but that name certainly seems like a nod to Anne's work. Of course, you can't copyright names, but still...
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2018, 04:03 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Wyrmberg is the "Dragon Home" featured in The Colour of Magic, a magic-infested area where dragons can be created from pure thought. Parodies Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. The Wyrmberg is located, according to information in The Compleat Discworld Atlas, in the country of Hergen. Aparently dracophiles - dragon-spotters - are drawn to this ara and unpleasant situations have resulted. Some Extreme Sports enthusiasts have even tried to climb the Wyrmberg, drawn magnetically to an upside-down mountain held in place by residual magic. This has led to more unpleasantness and frequent splatting noises.
Wyrmberg has the appearance of an upside down mountain. On the inside it is hollow, with dwellings for the dragon riders and forgotten tunnels from a time when there was more magic. On top is a small wood, a lake with waterfalls running down the sides of the mountain and the Killing Ground, where for some bizarre reason fighting is prohibited.
Wyrmberg is now ruled by Liessa Wyrmbidder (aka Lianna, perhaps a typo), after Hrun defeated and she banished her brothers Lio!rt and Liartes, allowing her father, Greicha to finally rest in peace.

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Wyrmberg

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Jeslinth
Darbul

Fan of: The Harper Hall Trilogy
Now Reading: "Mountolive" by Lawrence Durrell

As a satirist, Pratchett also spoofed Tolkien, the writer of the Conan the Barbarian stories, and Shakespeare. So Anne was in good company!
Jeslinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2018, 01:38 AM   #5
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Indeed she was. And parody is usually covered by fair use anyway, isn't it?
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2018, 11:07 PM   #6
Jeslinth
Darbul

Fan of: The Harper Hall Trilogy
Now Reading: "Mountolive" by Lawrence Durrell

It is under US law, at least to a degree. I think I read somewhere that the legal line between parody and plagiarism can sometimes be fuzzy and relies on how much of the original material is used, and that's one of the reasons parody artists like Weird Al usually get permission for commercial use--because they're using the whole song, musically.
Jeslinth is offline   Reply With Quote