A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 7 2009, 09:52 PM   #1
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Thumbs down Bad Weather part 2

Okay, I'm going to give the Aussie version of AnnMarie's bad weather report as we've gone the opposite extreme....

I've said in several threads about getting a new air-con because it's been so hot here. 40oC plus (yesterday when we were in Melbourne, it was 46.4oC) for the last 2 weeks.

And yesterday, we were debating about whether to go to a family function or not in Melbourne because of the weather. Spacedog's cousin had treatment for cancer so we figured we'd make the trip to for family support etc as we don't see them very often and he was turning 21 (good cause for celebration). On our way down (we had Spacedog's parents with us as well), fires had broken out near Kilmore and the winds weren't helping the firey's out with putting the fires outs (firey's = firefighteres) and as a result, they closed part of the highway off which made life interesting coming home this morning.

We're okay but for those folks in the firing line, life's not so good with a good proportion of properties going up in smoke and a few "lives" lost.

For more details, go to Yahoo:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/5306999
**(only brought this up, not for the political side of things but to show the vagaries of living in Australia when bushfire season starts due to climate change - generally we got the GOOD LIFE here but this is after all the so-called driest continent on Earth, although we do have mountains, rivers, deserts etc so I'm not complaining about the landscapes, so much variety and so little time to take it all in ),

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/...ian-bushfires/

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/mp/5306...chworth-eases/

Sorry folks if it's distressing but sometimes life's harsh realities bites us in the bum. I don't know about elsewhere in Aussie land (Joz, Ghyle, Myt, Dragongirl etc - hope they report in here or over in NKT) or New Zealand (Lily, Kugai etc)

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: Bad Weather part 2

I hope all are safe.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 01:48 AM   #3
Brenda

It's just so strange to think about the seasons being reversed down there... I'm sure it's the same for you, with us talking about ice storms and such!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 05:20 AM   #4
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Yes, I would agree with you on that point Brenda.

Mawra, we got home safely but a friend came around today after he finished work to see if we got home okay. Plus it's not so smokey now, even though fires are still burning near/faraway from us.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Feb 8 2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
I don't know about elsewhere in Aussie land (Joz, Ghyle, Myt, Dragongirl etc - hope they report in here or over in NKT) or New Zealand (Lily, Kugai etc)
I'm on the west coast in Perth and the only thing threatening us at the moment is boredom.

But with half of Queensland under water (thats a lot of water!) and South Australia and Victoria cooking in an extreme heatwave even for Australian conditions (sorry, NSW is only getting a few seconds of footage in the news over here, you mustn't be hot enough to rate much of a mention even though I know its been hot there too!) its been pretty grim news all around the last two weeks. The firestorms produced yesterday in Victoria are hard to comprehend even with the modern magic of visual video recordings and now there is the inevitable round of "why is this happening again? Didn't anyone learn anything from the last fire disaster?" It going to be a long week of sadness across the nation.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 07:54 AM   #6
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I saw it when I switched on the news this morning.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I do hope you stay safe, Jube. Keep us updated!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 05:33 PM   #8
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Old Feb 8 2009, 07:50 PM   #9
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I was thinking of you lot when I saw the news this morning, Jube.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 08:32 PM   #10
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibbie asked me if all of you were safe. She said she was glad that you all had checked in.

Old Feb 8 2009, 09:47 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Jube, my heart goes out to you with all such a horrific fire season this year. You could certainly do with some of the rain that fell in Queensland.
We also have our horrible fire season here in California...so I really do understand what your going through. I hope that you get some rain very soon...and that it will help with bringing the fires under control...or just put them out alltogether.
Stay safe...and breathe carefully.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2009, 10:51 PM   #12
Flinx
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
<snip>
(sorry, NSW is only getting a few seconds of footage in the news over here, you mustn't be hot enough to rate much of a mention even though I know its been hot there too!)
<snip>
At the moment, the fires here in NSW are nothing compared to what is happening to Victoria. Keeping fingers crossed that the NSW fires don't get worse.
It is now their worst disaster on record with over 100 people confirmed dead, whole towns virtually wiped off the map.
What makes it worse is that most of the fires were deliberately lit by arsonists. There have even been reports of fires being re-lit after the firefighters had them under control.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 01:04 AM   #13
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

What I really find inconceivable is that like in California last fall, some of these fires have been set. Unfortunately the risk of getting caught is low, but these arsonists really should be prosecuted for attempted murder.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 05:19 AM   #14
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Granath, isn't that why we've got a good agreement at moment between the Californians and the Aussies to save each other's backsides when it's bushfire season??? And on proscecuted arsonists, hang 'em by the balls and let them sway a bit, oops sorry I shouldn't say that but there's a lot of people around here that aren't very impressed with people lighting up. Now if it was Mother Nature, that's to be expected but arsonists aren't in the good books at moment. I heard today that there was at least 2 people in court for arson and the prime minister has been making speeches about how good a job the firies and communities are doing to keep up with it all. As he should because a lot of people are upset with what's happened recently.

Anyway it's still smokey here in the good ol' NE of Victoria. Beechworth's copping it a bit at the moment and for a tourist town, it looks very quiet when it came up on the news. There's fire in them there hills. Kinglake (which is near Kilmore that I spoke of) and surrounding areas look like a bomb's hit it. And yes, we were discussing at work that they could "truck" all those flooding waters, up Queensland way, down here, put all the fires out, solve the flood problem and whoop-de-do, all the problems of Mother Nature solved in one fell swoop Sounds good in theory. Unfortunately Mother Nature does not want to be kind just yet to us.

Joz, I'm Victorian (south of Mexico as the New South Welshmen would say - as you can see, one is attempting to keep a sense of humour alive in trying times) not NSW - is okay, that comes from living on a state border and it must be very boring living in WA when all the "so-called exciting" stuff is over here. Flinx hope you're okay too and no-where near fires.

Seriously in my little pocket of the Universe, we're probably lucky, however a lot of us know that in 5 seconds flat, it could happen to any one of us. Them's the breaks as they say.

Waves to Kibbie, there you go, something to learn about at school, bushfire seasons in Australia and compare them to the USA versions Hi Mawra, still okay!

P.s. sorry if it sounds like I'm going off in tangents, just trying to answer the questions/opinions/well wishes as best I can and with what I know at moment. I've got a really good poem about Australia too, if only I can work out which bookshelf it's on describes it so well.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!

Last edited by jube; Feb 9 2009 at 06:00 AM.
Old Feb 9 2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Hans
Master Archivist

Mother nature eh? Yes, I know her. She calls me sometimes and can't be denied although I must admit she's never been cruel to me.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 01:51 PM   #16
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Hope everything continues to go semi-well for you Jube! Hope the fires don't come TOO close and the weather cools down a bit!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 02:03 PM   #17
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope the fire areas get RAIN, lots and lots of RAIN.

Does anyone know if the area where Dragon Girl is from is safe? Or has anyone heard from her lately?

Old Feb 9 2009, 07:29 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Jube...sometimes a sense of humor is all you have in your pocket, to cope with the fires when there really going strong. Right now with all the rains we've been having the other end of the horrible fires are hitting...Mud slides. The lucky ones that made it through the fires..or rebuilt there damaged homes, are now being being threatened with mud coming off the bare fire swept hill sides. Seems Mother Nature is working overtime this year...in Southern California and Australia. Good Luck Jube, keep your head down and try not to breathe in to much smoke

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 9 2009, 07:49 PM   #19
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

Good wishes and to all of our Aussie friends.

I have some other Aussie friends on another message board that are talking about it, too and it's good to know that people are safe.
Old Feb 9 2009, 08:27 PM   #20
Sandi

Jube, your proposed treatment for the arsonist might be at least slightly kinder than mine. Just this morning I was thinking about tall sturdy post set amid bonfires, festooned with those who seem so fond of fire...............

My heart goes out to everyone affected by this tragedy.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 01:18 AM   #21
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Did I forget to say that I may light a bonfire underneath the swaying arsonist? Hmm, nah, I'm not that cruel, heartless and vindictive. The imagination is quite active enough as it is, without adding any more torments to it

Anyway at the moment, there are people working to get monetary, clothing, food etc relief for those affected. I'm debating about whether to go to the blood donor centre but they're flat-chat this week so probably won't get in until next week.

Mawra, don't know about Dragongirl but I forgot about Myt and there's someone in Tassie and in Queensland too but I don't know all the Aussies here and some haven't been on MoM for awhile.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Feb 10 2009, 01:52 AM   #22
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I hope they are all safe.

Old Feb 10 2009, 02:40 AM   #23
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

DG was safe on Sunday. If I see her online I'll tell her to check in.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 07:01 AM   #24
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Anybody heard from Ghyle recently?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 11:43 AM   #25
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Dragongirl was on KT this morn and Ghyle was on yesterday. I'll tell them both to check in here.

Old Feb 10 2009, 12:12 PM   #26
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Good to hear all are safe. I sincerely hope everyone remains that way.
Old Feb 10 2009, 01:33 PM   #27
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Was just thinking of Ghyle! Hadn't heard from him in awhile.

Hope all our friends in Oz are safe and sound!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10 2009, 05:47 PM   #28
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Ghyle wanted me to let you know that he is half way between the fires and the flood and is fine.

Old Feb 11 2009, 12:37 AM   #29
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Cool

Also had a cool change but no rain to speak of at moment. Those truckloads of water from Queensland would be rather handy

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Feb 11 2009, 04:00 AM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Ghyle wanted me to let you know that he is half way between the fires and the flood and is fine.
That's good to hear, thanks for the update Mawra.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 12:57 AM   #31
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Jube I am glad that you have finally had a bit of cool come your way...hopefully a little raid will be coming soon to help with the fires. Say do they have the water dumping planes down there like they have here? Is there any large bodies of water near to the fires, lakes rivers etc, where they could scoop up the water and dump it on the fires??

I am so glad to hear that most all of our other Aussie friends are ok...especially that little Imp, Dragongirl. She seems to have had more than here share of fires in the last few years.

Old Feb 12 2009, 01:18 AM   #32
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Good to hear your are safe Jube, hear about whle system was off line and was thinking of all the Australia members and friends I know from the diffent sites and think hope thing are well there!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 03:31 AM   #33
spacedog
Inactive

Yes to planes dumping water. It depends on the location.
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 08:45 AM   #34
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Joz, I'm Victorian (south of Mexico as the New South Welshmen would say - as you can see, one is attempting to keep a sense of humour alive in trying times) not NSW - is okay, that comes from living on a state border and it must be very boring living in WA when all the "so-called exciting" stuff is over here. Flinx hope you're okay too and no-where near fires.
Jube, I think you've misinterpreted my post, as I know you live in Vic. I was trying to indicate that three states had been experiencing an heatwave. As I said, while Adelaide and Melbourne were getting a lot of press over here, NSW was just getting a few seconds mention, even though they were suffering as well. None of those comments was meant to be directed to you personally, but as a general comment to all board members who live overseas and may not have realised what was happening here, and also to say to any members who do live in NSW that they weren't forgotten.

Sometimes living in a boring place is ok. It reminds me of a curse or the like that is sometimes given out - "May you live in exciting times." This weeks events are not the kind of exciting times I would like to experience.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 09:07 AM   #35
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

I've been trying to keep up with the news the past week(2?). I'm very glad to hear that your all ok. I hope the weather turns a bit cooler and that you get much needed rain.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2009, 07:08 PM   #36
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Space Dog...glad to hear that they make use of the water planes over there as well...the sometimes can be the means of winning the war of the fires here.

Old Feb 13 2009, 08:25 AM   #37
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
Jube, I think you've misinterpreted my post, as I know you live in Vic. I was trying to indicate that three states had been experiencing an heatwave. As I said, while Adelaide and Melbourne were getting a lot of press over here, NSW was just getting a few seconds mention, even though they were suffering as well. None of those comments was meant to be directed to you personally, but as a general comment to all board members who live overseas and may not have realised what was happening here, and also to say to any members who do live in NSW that they weren't forgotten.

Sometimes living in a boring place is ok. It reminds me of a curse or the like that is sometimes given out - "May you live in exciting times." This weeks events are not the kind of exciting times I would like to experience.
That's okay Joz. think that comes from living on the border of Vic/NSW, it can be rather inter-related at times. My appologies if it came out as being "confused" with what you were trying to point out.

Spacedog said that where he used to live, only got a brief mention as much as NSW got and that was in Callignee. So it would seem that the fires that started first, got the most out of the media coverage as oppose to other places, like as Joz said with NSW or in the smaller areas of Victoria like Spacedog was trying to make.

In some places, where they thought it was arsonists, they're now looking at it as being Mother Nature and in other areas, investigations are still continue-ing.

As for the aerial water "bombings", they use the Hercules planes or helicopters, depending on where they can get the water. Also several teams from America are coming over to help with the clean-up etc, that was mentioned earlier.

Actually I'm just wondering how the floods affected the MoM attendees who live in Queensland? I seem to have raged on about fires but nothing seems to come from Qld about the floods. Anyone know who lives up that way, who's willing to make a comment / question etc about their "bad weather with floods"???

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Feb 13 2009, 10:57 PM   #38
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I sure hope the floods over there, are causing any of the kind of problems that some of California fire viticms are having now with the mud slides. A normal flood leaves behind water damage and stinky moldy carpet and furniture...etc...not to mention you might have to chase your house down the river. But even those awful things are not quite like having to dig out your house and things from six or so feet of mud, rocks and smelly slime...UGGG

Old Feb 14 2009, 03:27 AM   #39
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Shades of The Rowan Lady M?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2009, 08:55 PM   #40
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh Peter, if it was only that easy for all those that are effected....but yes, I have often thought of that story, when I see the photos of it on the T.V.