A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old May 5 2014, 01:39 AM   #1
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Green Domick and Menolly

Do you think (once Sebell was aged up considerably in MHoP) that Domick would be a better romantic partner for Menolly than Sebell?

Why or why not?

Discuss! No right or wrong answers.

(Inspired by my sudden realization while writing fanfic that Robinton/Menolly wouldn't actually work no matter how my little heart wants it to, and Sebell/Menolly just bores me to tears.)

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2014, 02:29 AM   #2
Kim
The Mil

Fan of: Menolly
Now Reading: none at the moment
Default Re: Domick and Menolly

I'm not sure he's a good match either. How much older is he than Menolly? I agree that a match with Sebell is totally boring, but at least he's close in age to Menolly.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 01:25 PM   #3
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I'm not sure he's a good match either. How much older is he than Menolly? I agree that a match with Sebell is totally boring, but at least he's close in age to Menolly.
Domick was an apprentice harper and studying with Petiron at the time Robinton became Masterharper and Petiron moved to Half Circle Hold. About 10 to 15 turns younger than Robinton, probably.

Sebell arrived at the Hall 2 or 3 turns later, aged 10 or 11. The future F'lar and F'nor were almost 12 and 10 turns at this point, so however old they are in Dragonquest, that's about how old Sebell is when he meets Menolly (and he definitely hasn't 'just walked the tables'). How old do we think Robinton was in Dragonquest/Dragonsinger? And how long did he 'journey' before he was elected Masterharper (for a guess at Domick's age)?

I think these details are about right, but I only skimmed MHoP to get this much.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Kim
The Mil

Huh, that would make Sebell a LOT older than Menolly then. I don't know why but I always assumed that he was around ten years older. Maybe she should have just married Jaxom...
Old May 6 2014, 06:10 PM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Sebell is described as the son Robinton wanted but didn't engender. So I'd put him as at twenty to thirty years younger than Robinton.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 12:45 AM   #6
Brenda

You really can't go by MHoP as far as timelines go. As you say, Sebell has only just walked the tables in DSi.

I really only take certain parts of MHoP as canon. Did he have a passionate love for his wife who died tragically? Yes! Did he sneak into Ruatha just in time to watch F'lar fight Fax? Heck no. And again, timelines don't always add up.

I think the worst timeline error is in the novella "Runner of Pern", where the story starts out speculating about whether Thread will return, and then the main character meets someone who is known to be Jaxom's age, and he is in his thirties!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2014, 12:49 AM   #7
Brenda

Honestly, I never got that vibe from Domick. He is definitely older than Sebell (although there's nothing wrong with that of course). I like him as a mentor who helps draw out more of Menolly's talents as she is starting to come into her own. And she, being the rare talent that she is, is able to draw him out unexpectedly as well - like getting so excited about his music, and surprising him by that. I think it might end up beng a little like her relationship with Petiron.
Old May 7 2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Eriflor

OK, so if you reject MHoP as a reliable source for the timeline (and I usually do), let's try DragonQuest.

Chapter 10 shows Robinton and 4 harpers (Sebell, Talmor, Brudegan, Tagetarl) getting ready for a ride to the wedding at Telgar Hold. When he calls for them to hurry up, he gets 2 responses from the apprentice barracks and 2 from the Journeyman's Hold. (Though one of the journeymen might be supervising the apprentices, so that doesn't necessarily mean 2 of each rank.)

Robinton's instructions to the others on arrival at Telgar suggest that Sebell and Tagetarl are the least experienced: it's Sebell's first public performance (but Robinton emphasises that he has faith in his abilities), and he warns Tagetarl not to charm the girls till after the banquet: "Remember, you'll be a full harper too soon to jeopardize a good holding". Then again, he later sets Tagetarl to keep Kylara entertained, and F'lar figures 'the young journeyman' is likely to appeal to her tastes, so maybe he's only just walked the tables but not been assigned yet.

Brudegan is specifically referred to as a journeyman at one point. That leaves Talmor and Sebell as possible senior apprentices who will have walked the tables by the time Menolly arrives at the Harper Hall. They're all pretty young.
Old May 7 2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Eriflor

I've always thought of Domick as middle-aged. When we first meet him he's wearing an old tunic with a faded journeyman's markings (I guess they keep their old clothes for dirty work like making instruments). Definitely mature; 40-ish perhaps?

Anyway, from the age of 15 onward Menolly had her pick of younger journeymen, and practically no other girls around to compete for their attention. And she was still in awe of Master Domick. But probably fooling around with under-age girls wasn't approved of in hold and craft anyway.
Old May 7 2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Brenda

Oh, thanks for bringing up that bit from DQ! I'd forgotten. And that's the day the Oldtimers get banished... so from there it would be a couple of months at least before Menolly gets to Benden Weyr and gets told about the Oldtimers, and the queens' flight. So Sebell could either be a senior apprentice or a new journeyman - a few months is short enough that Piemur might still say he'd only just walked the tables, especially if there had been no others in the meantime.

Domick seems middle-aged to me, too.
Old May 8 2014, 08:07 PM   #11
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Yeah, the data we get in Dragonquest and Dragonsinger show Sebell's only slightly older than Menolly. Then MHoP ages him up like WHOA. For my personal head-canon, I like to disregard MHoP as valid because it conflicts with the books many of us grew up with.

I never actually got any feel from the books proper that Domick and Menolly could be a thing. But as I've been playing with fanfic, I've found Domick to be an indefinitely more engaging character to write with her than pretty much any other canon Harper. He's not as old as Robinton. He's more interesting than Sebell. He shares a love of composition with Menolly. And he's NOT unfailingly nice, he's a bit dark and has a temper, which, really, is all you need to write a romance with a Dark and Brooding guy. (He strikes me as a F'lar that's less handsome but more self-aware.)

(here's a stupid speculative theory theory: Sebell in MHoP was really a younger Sebell's father. Older Sebell in MHoP gets killed by Fax at some point, and Robinton raises his son.)

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Old May 8 2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Kim
The Mil

Man, I really need to go back and reread MHoP, but I remember not being impressed with it the first time around.
Old May 8 2014, 10:00 PM   #13
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

The thing I find most impressive about MHoP is how it has a perfectly lovely Brom cover.

Brom, usually a master of the dark and gothy, did a freaking FANTASTIC cover for it.

Old May 9 2014, 01:19 AM   #14
Brenda

You know Domick is quite a bit older than Menolly and the other girls, because they are intimidated by him rather than wanting to flirt with him! (Well, Menolly wouldn't anyway, but you know who I mean!)
Old May 9 2014, 02:07 AM   #15
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

I've always pegged him as early 40s. He runs around in clothing that has old Journeymen's markings on it, and surely such clothing will only last in one piece for so many turns. Otherwise, no matter how much he doesn't want new clothes, he'll be forced to get them anyhow.

Old May 9 2014, 07:55 PM   #16
Kim
The Mil

Which would make him at least 20 years older than Menolly?
Old May 9 2014, 08:49 PM   #17
Brenda

She's fifteen, and he's old enough to be her father.
Old May 9 2014, 11:08 PM   #18
Kim
The Mil

That's icky by our standards, but maybe it was common on Pern.
Old May 10 2014, 01:10 AM   #19
Brenda

I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but he's a much older, authority figure to her from the start. Even once they've worked together for a while, it would be hard to let go of that.
Old May 10 2014, 10:56 PM   #20
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Well, in light of Sebell being aged up to about the same thing in MHoP, and all the UST with Robinton, seems the author doesn't mind at all putting her with an older guy a la Damia and Afra.

::shrug::

I DO get why people aren't fond of it. I really didn't think much of it either because there's not a smidgen of a hint of it in the books. Then I began writing some of it as a throw-away, and mid-story converted myself (which was quite weird). It's a really, really fun pairing to write.

Old May 10 2014, 11:59 PM   #21
Brenda

Well, whatever works for you. As I said, I don't consider much of MHoP to be canon, especially the parts that don't match what was previously written.
Old May 13 2014, 01:59 PM   #22
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

I always imagined myself as Menolly's romantic partner when I was growing up. So go with that instead
Old May 17 2014, 12:51 PM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

First: get back to the end of the line, Kindan

Second: you live in an altogether totally differen Pass than Menolly did, so there :p

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 03:55 PM   #24
BronzeRider
Glow

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Chronicles of Pern: First Fall

Well, one consistent rule of Anne's Pern books is that every major character has to get paired off with someone else at some point!

I too, was always convinced that Menolly was going to fall for me at Harper Hall when I was growing up, but alas, that older Journeyman Sebell, aroused her interest instead. :P
BronzeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2014, 07:19 PM   #25
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
First: get back to the end of the line, Kindan

Second: you live in an altogether totally differen Pass than Menolly did, so there :p
Touche on both counts!
Old May 21 2014, 03:12 PM   #26
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Rather revealing of me: I didn't want to get off with Menolly; I wanted to BE Menolly!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old May 26 2014, 06:00 PM   #27
Blue Rider 16
Dylanist

Fan of: The Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern

As for me, I wanted to get with Mirrim not Menolly. And indeed, my high school crush was a girl remarkably similar to both Mirrim and Lessa.
Old Apr 29 2015, 07:50 PM   #28
Gilluin
Welladay Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
very true in an agrarian society. The age you can marry in Nebraska is 14, a hold over from the 19th century.
Gilluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13 2017, 09:00 PM   #29
MarciH
Darbul

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Masterharper of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Oh, thanks for bringing up that bit from DQ! I'd forgotten. And that's the day the Oldtimers get banished... so from there it would be a couple of months at least before Menolly gets to Benden Weyr and gets told about the Oldtimers, and the queens' flight. So Sebell could either be a senior apprentice or a new journeyman - a few months is short enough that Piemur might still say he'd only just walked the tables, especially if there had been no others in the meantime.

Domick seems middle-aged to me, too.
Actually, it's only a couple of weeks between the wedding and when Menolly shows up at the Harper Hall. At the beginning of DQ, Ramoth has already laid her clutch, Menolly comes to the Harper Hall the night of the hatching. It's 5 weeks between laying and hatching (count 5 heated weeks and a day of glory). The wedding happens between these events. More than likely, Sebell has already walked the tables. He may have been in the apprentice dorm because he had work there, or maybe there wasn't room yet in the Journeyman dorm. Either way, I don't think he would have only been a journey for a week or two before Menolly shows up. I always assumed he had walked them about a year before (his reference to "journeying" in Dragonsinger). Of course, that doesn't jive with the statement that it was his first public appearance- which doesn't make since anyway, since we know from Dragonsinger that everyone at the Harper Hall takes a turn on Gather Day at some point.
MarciH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14 2017, 05:00 AM   #30
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Quote:
Actually: it's not that long ago that European society was marrying off young teenage girls to ancient widowers.

Remember; Sebell was Master Robinton's 'special apprentice', just as Piemur was Master Shonagar's. He was earmarked for 'great things' from early on.

C. S. Lewis

Old Apr 19 2017, 08:10 AM   #31
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Which makes it rather unlikely that he hadn't performed in public before.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20 2017, 08:57 PM   #32
Brenda

Performing in public at a Fort Hold weekly-market type of gather is a lot different than performing in public at a major event like the wedding at Telgar. If only because at Fort, half the crowd is harpers who know you! (See Dragonsinger.)
Old Apr 21 2017, 08:27 AM   #33
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

That would be scary - they're more likely to criticise you.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2017, 07:55 AM   #34
Simon
Journeyman

Fan of: Tower and Hive
Now Reading: Between books!

Not much to contribute to the specific conversation, except 'hooray' for Anne's wiggly twisty timelines... Also, I don't know why, but I never took to Sebell as a character.

As for Pern crushes, I was always taken with Sharra, or possibly Aramina.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2017, 11:06 PM   #35
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Not much to contribute to the specific conversation, except 'hooray' for Anne's wiggly twisty timelines... Also, I don't know why, but I never took to Sebell as a character.
Because Sebell's just kind of...there. I am not normally a fan of ships with huge age gaps but I always felt Anne kind of chickened out on Robinton and Menolly and just made up Sebell. There's nothing OBJECTIONABLE about him, there's just not a huge amount to recommend him, either.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2017, 03:08 AM   #36
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

How about a fanfic where Sebell dies (of something nasty, or in a nasty way) and Menolly lands up Masterharper?

C. S. Lewis

Old May 21 2017, 11:51 AM   #37
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I think you're correct Anareth. But then, the original Menolly books were young adult and by the time Robinton-Menolly comes up Anne was commercially on the uptake and her publishers probably wouldn't have condoned a pretty explicit relationship between the two.

Would have been nice though. And you can read lots of things between the lines about the Menolly-Robinton relationship.

Peter; I would find that very tacky and tasteless.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote