A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey > Elizabeth Ann Scarborough

Elizabeth Ann Scarborough Nebula award-winning SF/F author. Her popular series include Godmother and Cleopatra. With McCaffrey she's collaborated on several series: Acorna, Petaybee, and the forthcoming Barque Cats.

Old May 10 2009, 04:41 AM   #1
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Godmother Series

Eann: When reading about Felicity's Irish base, I keep picturing Dragonhold. Was this intentional?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2009, 04:12 AM   #2
eann
Firestone

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct
Default Re: Godmother Series

Why, yes, P'ter, it was! However, there is nothing in Anne's actual attic but her furnace room, a lot of books, a couple of beds and a loo.
eann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2009, 12:23 PM   #3
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

But does she have a yew avenue leading to a scrying pool?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Jun 21 2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

How about a pergola leading to a (now filled in) small double-circle pond?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2009, 03:45 AM   #5
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

That'll do nicely.

C. S. Lewis

Old Jun 22 2009, 04:32 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

I feel obliged to mention here that, while Anne adored her little double circle pond it never became what she wanted. It was filled in and is now the Hugh and Kevin McCaffrey Memorial Rose Garden in honour of her older and younger brother. The last time I looked the roses were doing great.

This part of the (back) garden is Anne's view from her working room, with the Wicklow hills and the peak of Carrickfergus in the background.

here's a picture:

this is how it was:

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 23 2009, 01:38 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Certainly suitable for sneaking a peek at Faerie.

C. S. Lewis

Old Jan 10 2010, 04:05 AM   #8
eann
Firestone

I was there for the three years right after the house was built and the ponds weren't there yet so I had to imagine the scrying pool and pergola--the yew hedge came from another site in Ireland we visited while I was there. Yews have it all over The Eggplant That Ate Chicago for getting huge and pushy but they seem to accept carving nicely. I have one in my front yard that had to get cat's ears cut into its foliage to make room for the powerlines and let me see around it to pull out of the driveway.
Old Jan 10 2010, 09:16 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah, but when you were there the swimming pool was still working, right?

Old Jan 10 2010, 07:23 PM   #10
eann
Firestone

Yes, and I used it too. Annie soooo needed a California pool dude for that thing--the problem was that nobody really knew how to put one in properly (as discovered in subsequent excavations) or how to maintain it afterward. But it was sure nice while it worked.
Old Jan 11 2010, 05:47 AM   #11
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Howdy there eann! Good to see you, and happy new year to you. How's things in WA? We're just getting our first thaw since mid-December, and even though I love ice and snow, even I am a little grateful...
Old Jan 11 2010, 06:23 AM   #12
eann
Firestone

I am looking nervously around and whispering "no snow here yet." I have some driving out of town and state I want to do soon and I would like clear roads, thanks! I've been hearing about your snow from the British cat owners on my UnitedCats.com list. The general concensus is that it is cold and wet.
Old Jan 19 2010, 08:56 AM   #13
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

~Oddly enough, they're about right. At the moment, however, what it mostly is is gone. Nice to see the ground again, I must admit.
Old Jan 19 2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
~Oddly enough, they're about right. At the moment, however, what it mostly is is gone. Nice to see the ground again, I must admit.
Oh YES! Despite last monday being blue monday I smiled when I saw the muck was gone!

Old Jan 20 2010, 01:11 AM   #15
eann
Firestone

(still whispering) It's raining but actually rather warm.
Old Mar 24 2010, 11:14 PM   #16
eann
Firestone

Just so everyone knows, The Godmother is now available as a book on demand and as an ebook for Kindle and assorted other e-book readers. So is Song of Sorcery and Scarborough Fair. They're working on Healer's War now.
Old Mar 25 2010, 06:57 AM   #17
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

eann, that's fabulous news! Is this new, or has it been the case for a while? Another writer friend of mine has some books whose rights have reverted to her at last, I know she's curious about how you do that! Wonderful to hear it, where do we go to purchase?!
Old Mar 26 2010, 03:59 AM   #18
eann
Firestone

They're on Amazon now and I suppose probably Barnes and Noble too. Tell your friend I was advised to go to e-reads.com. Richard Curtis and John Douglas are the movers and shakers there.
Old Mar 29 2010, 01:37 PM   #19
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Thanks so much eann - will go retrieve!
Old May 10 2010, 04:44 AM   #20
eann
Firestone

Actually, Elizabeth, if you have the digital files of your books, you can turn them into ebooks easily enough yourself--pdfs to sell via PayPal from your own website or to reformat as Kindle and/or any of the others. I understand that it's necessary to get an ISBN number to sell through the larger venues and that here anyway, you can get 10 numbers for about $250. My problem is I don't HAVE digital files of the final drafts of many of the books and the expense comes from having them coverted. Besides which, my final draft on disk is not the copyedited one. You do have to remove all formatting the publisher has done and dig up your own publicity quotes and so forth because all that stuff belongs to the publisher, even if the book belongs to you.
Old May 10 2010, 04:45 AM   #21
eann
Firestone

Oh, and for print on demand books you can always use Lulu.com or something. It would mean you'd have to buy enough for signings if you wanted to do that. The alternative is having a bunch privately printed but that's expensive and builds up an inventory.
Old May 10 2010, 05:09 AM   #22
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eann View Post
Actually, Elizabeth, if you have the digital files of your books, you can turn them into ebooks easily enough yourself--pdfs to sell via PayPal from your own website or to reformat as Kindle and/or any of the others. I understand that it's necessary to get an ISBN number to sell through the larger venues and that here anyway, you can get 10 numbers for about $250. My problem is I don't HAVE digital files of the final drafts of many of the books and the expense comes from having them coverted. Besides which, my final draft on disk is not the copyedited one. You do have to remove all formatting the publisher has done and dig up your own publicity quotes and so forth because all that stuff belongs to the publisher, even if the book belongs to you.
Do you have Word files or anything? It's really easy to convert a Word file to PDF if you have the right program and I know that there are free and web-based programs available. If not, you can scan images of a word-processed or typed file although that can be very time consuming (I've had to do that with academic papers in the library). It shouldn't be too hard to do yourself, if a little boring.

It takes me about 2 minutes to convert a word document of say 20 pages and about 20 minutes to do the same by scanning documents (It helps that stuff here is scanned directly to PDF) and then trimming them afterwards (I'm not very good at keeping things straight).

I can look some stuff up for you if you like. I looked once before, before I moved here because I needed a PDF and my old uni wasn't as organised as they are here.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2010, 02:39 AM   #23
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: Godmother Series

Quote:
Just so everyone knows, The Godmother is now available as a book on demand and as an ebook for Kindle and assorted other e-book readers. So is Song of Sorcery and Scarborough Fair. They're working on Healer's War now.
I think I've read Healer's War I think
Good I might just see what I can find.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2010, 05:19 AM   #24
eann
Firestone

No, Edith, I don't have Word files for everything, just the latest books, and even those aren't the copyedited versions. I've really only been using Word and Windows, as has Anne, by the way, since our first Petaybee book together. She imported a friend of a friend who was a good teacher and a Windows whiz to teach us both how to use the program and Windows in general. Before that I'd used WordPerfect and an old program on my original Apple 2+ called Xardax. The first 8 books or so I wrote were in that program or typed on a--gasp--typewriter. I am so paranoid about keeping copies of everything I do that I have dozens of badly labeled disks in various formats for each book and most of them are out in a storage shed, probably corrupted beyond hope, because just before all this e-book stuff came up I couldn't imagine why I'd ever need them again.
Old May 11 2010, 10:55 AM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
A - It's rather easy to scan printed text using OCR (I've done so in the past)

B - ten ISBN for $250 is a rip off. I'm an acknowledged publisher and have only to pay about $10 administration fee. That'll be a Dutch ISBN, mind but that doesn't matter. For instance, the "40 Years of Pern" book was published by me and has a Dutch ISBN.
It was published using the online print-on-demand option with Lulu and was even available with Amazon.com for a time (Lulu did that).

C - technically I could easily publish books for Elizabeth but the trouble lies more with who has the rights to do so and the consequences of publishing legally.

Eann, for your old WP files there's a solution, I could transcribe/rework them but your oldest 8 books, you would need to sacrifice a copy so the pages could go through a sheetfeeder scanner for OCR scanning. Turning the pages and keeping a book securely down on the scanner glass a couple of hunderd times is NO fun! I know. It's how I made my first highly illegal digital copies of Pwern books And NO, I never distributed them, they were for my research only. And by the time I had done1.5 books I discovered they were to be had online as pirated versions if you knew where to look...
And before you ask: Anne knows and said that I own so many copies of her books (many titles in many variations AND languages) I was entitled to the odd illegal digital copy

Old May 12 2010, 07:40 AM   #26
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Sounds like that scanning jobs in All the Weyrs of Pern.

Also I've don't a version of that with A surprising note how well it turn out, she ask me did I type or scan the questions, missed one question for a assignment. I also know the feeling on scanning something with a spine to make a copy of to share irking.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2010, 01:50 AM   #27
eann
Firestone

Thanks for the input, Hans. I haven't looked into ISBN prices myself, that's just what a friend told me. What I was thinking I'd do is buy a sheet feeding scanner myself--Fujitsu makes one that they say will handle the job (there's a pre-sale tech support you can call and I did). Like you say, doing it on a flat scanner is just too grim to contemplate but with a double-sided sheet feeder it ought to go fairly quickly. I do have copies I can sacrifice for that purpose too.
I imagine Anne figured by the time you'd flat scanned those books, you'd earned them anyway!
Old Jun 7 2010, 10:04 PM   #28
eann
Firestone

Ebook update! I got my first royalty check for three of the books I had made into e-books--made back almost 3/4ths of what I spent to produce one of them as an e-book and Healer's War is not yet out on Kindle. I was a little surprised to see that Kindle actually sold less than an outfit called Fictionwise that I suppose must do other formats. Anyway, for those of you who were wondering if authors ever earn royalties back on those, apparently so. It said I was getting 50% which is a lot more than the nothing I get from a used book! The collabs with Anne are made into e-books (at least the recent ones) by Del Rey and I presume by Harper Collins as well. They bought electronic rights along with the others.
Old Jun 8 2010, 03:55 AM   #29
Hans
Master Archivist

Good news, Eann. That fictionwise and some of their colleague sites sell more ebooks than Amazon doesn't surprise me at all. The non Kindle formats have been along for quite a while before the Kindle appeared on stage.

I suppose Microsoft eReader and PDF are the best sold but haven't searched for the truth on this. Remember that PDA's and computers (both desktops and notebooks) have been available far longer than dedicated ebook readers and I for one find the idea of a dedicated ebook reader (many of which can only handle one format) a bit silly...

The good news is that if you have your text avaiulable digital you can make the book into any format you like.

Old Jun 8 2010, 04:13 AM   #30
eann
Firestone

The outfit I'm dealing with sees to it that the books are made available in all of the formats.
Old Jun 8 2010, 04:47 AM   #31
Hans
Master Archivist

Oh, that is very good!

Old Jun 8 2010, 06:42 AM   #32
eann
Firestone

I wonder if Fictionwise will sell books to people in countries where they're not otherwise available?
Old Jun 8 2010, 09:11 AM   #33
Hans
Master Archivist

Hmm, our member bingley recently had a spot of trouble with that using Barnes & Noble owned ebook sites. Will have to look which site didn't make trouble for him (being in Indonesia).

Checked this thread: http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=7628

And yes, Fictionwise and ereader are Barnes & Noble owned and wuldn;t sell to him.
He was succesful though using http://www.ebooks.com/

Hope this helps you a little, Eann.
Not 100% what the criteria are. But being the author maybe you can influences this?

Old Jun 8 2010, 09:58 PM   #34
eann
Firestone

All I can influence, Hans, is if I create my own digital files and sell pdfs from my website--then I can sell to whomever I choose and I will definitely choose to sell to people in other countries who want to read my books. They just have to be able to read them in English. I shudder to think what the Google translation program would do to them!
Old Jun 9 2010, 04:42 AM   #35
Hans
Master Archivist

Ah, OK. I thought you could maybe also have some say in the way they are sold when on sites like fictionwise.com. So your ebook contract also go through your official publishers, right? You don't set the contracts for digital rights/ebooks yourself or just through your agent?
Do I understand you right that, for older books probably, there are no digital rights contracted by the publisher and therefor you could sell PDF copies through your own website?

Don't even think about translation programns. You are right to shudder. But I'm telling you no news

Old Jun 9 2010, 07:00 AM   #36
eann
Firestone

You know, the original publisher doesn't still have control over the ebooks that just got published--I'm not sure what the policy is of the outfit I did business with but I sort of doubt there are restrictions on where they are sold.
Old Jul 1 2010, 09:57 PM   #37
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Eann...I am LOVING Grandmother Webster!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2 2010, 02:11 AM   #38
eann
Firestone

Thanks, AnnMarie. I thought she was a lot of fun and Spiderwoman has always been one of my favorite holy people.
Old Jul 2 2010, 05:13 PM   #39
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Took me two days to read. Still not sure I am all that crazy about Ray, but he does seem to be making a serious attempt. LOVE the way so many recognized Grandmother for who she was, and didn't bat an eyelash!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3 2010, 12:17 AM   #40
eann
Firestone

Among both Navajo and Hopi people, she is one of their ancestors so yeah, it's our magical grandma, listen up and keep a civil tongue in your head if you want to continue life as you know it!