A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Talent: Pegasus, Tower & Hive, and Barque Cats

Old Nov 29 2008, 09:28 PM   #1
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix
Default Casting the FT&T

This topic always comes around every so often. For me, it was provoked by Patrick Rothfuss blogging about a new site called Storycasting.com, which is a shiny new site where you can sort of fantasy-cast actors to books. Kind of cool that someone's put the website tech to this ever-popular fandom speculation topic.

I cast Edward James Olmos as Peter Reidinger IV for The Rowan. Who would you cast in the Talent universe, and why?

Edward James Olmos doesn't physically look exactly how I imagine Reidinger to look in the books, but I think he could very easily pull off the gruff, powerful-minded Earth Prime quite well.

As for the rest of the cast...I'm still thinking about that. ::think think think::

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2008, 06:10 AM   #2
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Default Re: Casting the FT&T

"Twilight" "Stephanie Meyer" "Lemme look, lemme look", just excuse my hubby dearest at the moment, he's currently into that series at the moment, whilst I'm trying to have a look myself at Dom's site.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7 2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

WOW, Tilda Swenson is fantastic a pic for the Rowan...especialy with the white hair. But I don't care for your pick as Peter Reidinger...don't know who I would pick yet...but not him...sorry.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17 2009, 01:31 AM   #4
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson

Rowan...................Michelle Pfeifer
Jeff Raven..............Robert Hayes
Afra Lyon...............Rene Auberjonois
Peter Reidinger IV....Gil Gerard
Isthia Raven...........June Lockheart
Siglen....................Elizabeth Taylor

Damia Raven-Lyon...Alyssa Milano

more to come as I think on it.....
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18 2009, 09:13 PM   #5
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Hey you! Long time no see!

I am having a hard time seeing most of those choices in the roles, but it's probably because I don't watch much TV or many movies, so I've not seen them in action.

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19 2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I'm sorry Max....I don't see any of those as characters in the *Talent* series either...especially Gil Gerard for Redinger, although I can't think of anyone at this moment for him either.
I will try to think on it and see if I can come up with someone. I think I've consentrated on the *pern* character so much, I just haven't given the other books a clear thought about what their character look like.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 19 2009, 09:17 AM   #7
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
I'm sorry Max....I don't see any of those as characters in the *Talent* series either...especially Gil Gerard for Redinger, although I can't think of anyone at this moment for him either.
I will try to think on it and see if I can come up with someone. I think I've consentrated on the *pern* character so much, I just haven't given the other books a clear thought about what their character look like.
When thinking of who I would cast in those roles, I have to separate myself from the actuall visualisation of the people in the books. Much like casting directors would do if they too had previous experience with a well known set of characters. I chose Gil Gerard based on the fact that he could very much pull off the gruff and intimidating manner that Reidinger always seems to carry. James Brolin could also do a sufficient job at the roll, but I think Gerard fits the role better.

This kind of "experiementation" is difficult when done by "fans" because they are often the worst people to critique a movie or show based on a popular series of books.

Obviously my "visions" of Reidinger and the others are much different.....as can be seen in my graphic representations of them.

I must admit though, the parts of Rowan and Damia were most difficult, because I am so completely imprinted by the actual artwork by Romas that for a time I was unable to think of anyone suitable.

The cover art done by Romas in my estimation is the most acurate portrayal of those characters......I would go so far as to say that they ARE perfectly rendered. Any other book cover released by another artist is just.....art.

from the Casting Couch,
Maximillian
Old Feb 20 2009, 01:02 AM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sorry Max...IMO...how can you not use, what Anne discribes in her books as a basis for what the characters look like.

Other wise aren't you just picking out who you think might go with how the character acts...thats not going to make a well rounded representation of Anne's character.

I think we really need to go on all that she has written for us about her characters.

Other wise Afra could end up being human...AAARRRRGGGGGgggg...and The Rowan could be a red head...you really need to take in consideration what Anne wrote for them to looked like...

Old Feb 20 2009, 12:16 PM   #9
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Rene Auberjonois is certainly too old to play Afra, even in TTATH. I'm afraid I can't see EJO as Peter Reidinger either.

Peter Reidinger IV... Jonathan Frakes (with some reddish dye in his hair and beard)

I'll think about the others later...
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20 2009, 12:24 PM   #10
Maximillian
Talent

2cent Re: Casting the FT&T

Quote:
Sorry Max...IMO...how can you not use, what Anne discribes in her books as a basis for what the characters look like.

Other wise aren't you just picking out who you think might go with how the character acts...thats not going to make a well rounded representation of Anne's character.

I think we really need to go on all that she has written for us about her characters.

Other wise Afra could end up being human...AAARRRRGGGGGgggg...and The Rowan could be a red head...you really need to take in consideration what Anne wrote for them to looked like...

Oh Indeed I do agree my fine Lady, but I'm looking on it with a director's perspective.....and you also have to consider that actors can be made to look like anything the special effects teams can think up. It wouldn't be hard at all to create Afra's very distinct features on a human actor.

It's hard bringing such well known characters to life on film, because people are so intimate with them......they have grown with them and therefore have expectations that a director/producer must address.

So you may not get someone who looks exactly how you pictured them, but you may surely get as close a representation as the special affects teams technology can create....which in today's realm....is vast.

I have read the talent series many times......but it was only my first time that I actually tried to cast the characters with actors that I knew. Or even people that I knew in real life. The second time I read the series.....things changed drastically....the characters took on a life of their own...so a vision of their appearance and manner became solidified in my minds eye. When I read the books now....I can't picture actors in their places.....I merely picture the individuals who have been so richly rendered in words.

Cinematically yours,
MMV
Old Feb 20 2009, 12:26 PM   #11
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Rene Auberjonois is certainly too old to play Afra, even in TTATH. I'm afraid I can't see EJO as Peter Reidinger either.

Peter Reidinger IV... Jonathan Frakes (with some reddish dye in his hair and beard)

I'll think about the others later...
Amazing that you should say that, Johnathan Frakes is one of the people I used as a photo reference for my digital render of Reidinger.

Very good choice indeed....he has that quality too.
Old Feb 20 2009, 07:08 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Max...Weeeell at least not until you find one of those characters living out here in the real world...when that happens your going to go on a desparate search to find the rest of them...believe me when I say this...and I have been on that kind of hunt for ages now with the Pern Characters............

Keep looking my friend, and you will find them out and about just waiting for you to say WOWEEEEEEEEEEE, soooo there you are...ok in a deaper voice than me...but WOWeeee works for me on the occasion I find one of them.

Old Feb 21 2009, 09:52 AM   #13
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Max...Weeeell at least not until you find one of those characters living out here in the real world...when that happens your going to go on a desparate search to find the rest of them...believe me when I say this...and I have been on that kind of hunt for ages now with the Pern Characters............

Keep looking my friend, and you will find them out and about just waiting for you to say WOWEEEEEEEEEEE, soooo there you are...ok in a deaper voice than me...but WOWeeee works for me on the occasion I find one of them.
No comment. By the way, Jeff says hi.
Old Feb 22 2009, 01:32 AM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

...*Hello*

Old Feb 23 2009, 02:34 PM   #15
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post
Hey you! Long time no see!

I am having a hard time seeing most of those choices in the roles, but it's probably because I don't watch much TV or many movies, so I've not seen them in action.
Yes it has been a while. Nice to see all of you again.

If you're having a hard time picturing those choices in those roles I can fix that......*que maniacal laughter here*.......muhahahahahahaha

*rubs hands together mischievously*

Old Feb 23 2009, 07:03 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Max...I can hardly wait. You do such amazing computer characters!!!

Old Feb 26 2009, 07:01 AM   #17
Maximillian
Talent

It's not the best quality, but here's something I doodled when I was bored earlier.

With the lovely Michelle Pfiefer as The Rowan and Robert Hayes as Jeff Raven.
Old Feb 26 2009, 01:43 PM   #18
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Those could work.
Old Feb 28 2009, 02:16 AM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW, WOW, WOW Max...you really have something there...that is really would work.!!!!

I never thought of Michelle Pfeiffer...but what you have there is lovely. Put her into action and that would be the Rowan!!! Say who do you have in the background with her...and I don't mean Jeff...but the actor?????

Old Mar 1 2009, 07:51 AM   #20
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
WOW, WOW, WOW Max...you really have something there...that is really would work.!!!!

I never thought of Michelle Pfeiffer...but what you have there is lovely. Put her into action and that would be the Rowan!!! Say who do you have in the background with her...and I don't mean Jeff...but the actor?????
That is actor Robert Hayes of Airplane! fame, among other things, I particularly enjoyed his performance in the shortlived sci fi series Starman. Here is his IMDB page if you're interested in other things he's done: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001332/

Now of course these two are far too old to play the parts now, but when you are playing what ifs, I suppose ages don't really matter.

IF we wanted to cast those roles for younger more contemporary actors......well theres a whole new experiment isn't it? Who out there today could capture the essence and stature of the Rowan and convey that on screen?

If you guys can come up with contemporary actors to fit those roles, I will transform them into a Poster/book cover type deal just as I did above....

Should be fun to see what names you can pull out of your delisciously devilish brains.

Experitorially yours,

Maximillian
Old Mar 1 2009, 11:32 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Max...I will certainly give it a go...I love those stories and the Raven clan. I would LOVE to see who you would put together from this time of actors, for an up to date Movie poster.

Old May 4 2009, 04:34 AM   #22
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

Oh geez. Tilda Swinton gives me the creeps. That's a bit harsh I know. She's a great actress...just someone else for ROwan. And I'm no help. No suggestions at this time.
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2010, 11:59 PM   #23
Magicjax
Darbul

Fan of: I love all I've read
Now Reading: Damia's Children

For some reason Josh Hartnett comes to mind for me as Afra.

Magicjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7 2010, 09:49 PM   #24
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

Quote:
Other wise Afra could end up being human...AAARRRRGGGGGgggg

Afra is human. I think his greenish skin and yellow eyes come from a genetic adaptation for living on Altair. Even one of his daughters had 'em.
Old Oct 8 2010, 07:38 AM   #25
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

The eyes yeah, but not the skin.

Anne never said so, but the adaptation must have been artificially induced, it wouldn't have happened in 300 years or so on its own. If it had, the starting gene pool would have been very small, possibly as small as two people, meaning most original colonists would've been left without descendants.
Old Oct 12 2010, 12:05 PM   #26
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
Afra is human. I think his greenish skin and yellow eyes come from a genetic adaptation for living on Altair. Even one of his daughters had 'em.
I think you mean Capella, and not Altair - Altair is where the Rowan is from, and Capella is Afra's homeworld.

The Capellans are acknowledged human stock. It is possible that the coloration is a result of their enviroment, rather than purposeful gene manipulation - there may be an organism or other material in their diet or air/water sources that causes changes to pigment cells, of a more lasting nature than we're familiar with.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2010, 03:01 AM   #27
eann
Firestone

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct

Colm Meany should be someone. It's almost a law in Irish movies that you have to have Colm Meany so let's do reverse casting and find a role in there for him then everything else will fall into place.
eann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2010, 07:52 AM   #28
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Eann... he could be one of Jeff Raven'c uncles or cousins.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote