A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jun 24 2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Pern Portfolio Copy Idea

See the bottom of this POST for the most current info about this.........

Ok, in another thread we've thought that sending around a copy of the Pern Portfolio would be a nice thing to do, so that everyone can see what it is and read over the articles. It is such a rare thing that until the last few months no one had ever seen it before.

So what we'd like to do, if there's enough interest, is to make a copy and have that copy be forwarded from member to member. So all it would cost is postage.

I'll make a copy for the US and Hans can do one for Europe and that way we're not having to send the copy back and forth overseas. We do want to try and keep down the cost to mail it out.

In addition, I'd like for those on my side of the ocean to sign the copy somewhere. It can be just your signature or you could even add a short comment. This is all in the hopes that it will come back to me, once everyone's had a chance at it, that is.

How this would work - till I hear better ideas - I'll copy it and mail it to the first member. You don't need to send me postage. What you will do once you're thru with it is send it to the next person, but you do pay postage on this one. They in turn will mail it to the next person. So all it will ever cost you is the postage to the next person.
Once the last person has seen it they can then mail it back to me. That way I'll have it to send on to a later person. Same goes for Hans on his side of the ocean.

We do want to let everyone who wants to have a peek at it, so if you think you'd might like to keep it, please don't.

I don't want to leave out our friends down under. I'm thinking that if there are enough of you I can post the copy your way (I'll pay postage) and then if we can get everyone to pass it around in your areas then send it back to me that would be super. I'll even pay postage back if that will help. But if we can get everyone to get a view of it while it's there that would be great, and not have to send it back and forth.

Ok, so lets see who's interested.......
From the other thread I know there are a couple on Hans' side of the ocean and I think one on my side. Anyone else??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6/25/07
I emailed Anne McCaffrey and she said we had permission to make a couple of copies to circulate within the membership!
I'll make a couple of copies for the US area and for AUS/NZ and Hans will do his area.
Once I've got the copies made I'll mail them to the first person who has requested, Sarahlin and Lily. That person will have two weeks to read thru and enjoy the copy. Then they will mail it on to the next person, they will pay the postage to forward it on to the next person, and so on. Once we're thru the members who want to see it, it will be sent back to me so that I can send it off to any late comers. I've asked that you sign the copy somewhere just to kind of make it interesting, that's not a requirement of course, but I think it would be fun.
When you post that you'd like to be added, please include where you are, just country would be fine. Not everyone has a location listed in their profile.

US/Canada list:
Sarahlin - mailed out 7/17/07
Anareth
L'isa
JJ
Shalyn

AUS/NZ list:
Lily - mailed out 7/17/07
Joz

European list:
P'ter
Edith
Sara

Now having said all this it may take me a while to get a copy made of the Portfolio. I'm going to be helping my inlaws pack this week and move them on the weekend. And probably help them unpack a bit too. So it may be the weekend after before I make it to a copy store. Sorry, poor timing! But once I get a free moment I'll be there, so please have a little more patience. Thanks!

I've got the thing unpacked, not to difficult to find. Still have the other issues I'll be dealing with but at least it's to hand now.

Last edited by Becky; Jul 18 2007 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Add new info to bottom of this post.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2007, 07:59 PM   #2
sarahlin_13
Glow

Default Re: Pern Portfolio Copy Idea

Me first, me first!!! :-D

Okay, I'm not shy about putting up my hand for the teacher to see. I volunteer to be the first here in North America Becky. I do live in Canada, so I know that it'll cost a bit more to send it to me.

Sarah
sarahlin_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land

Becky.......would it be reasonable to stipulate a time limit? That is, as to how long each person can hang onto the copy before sending it on......with people so busy with work and families a week wouldn't likely be long enough to give it a good read but it also would not be fair if someone had it a month or more and said they still were not finished reading it, making the next person wait for a very long time! We are all adults and should be able to be responsible enough to uphold a time limit........and if the person wanted to copy the copy for themselves they would need to get it done within that time!
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24 2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Lily

ME ME ME
Can I look after a copy for "down under" ?
With the experience of the Pern books circulating from AMCF, I know exactly what the perils and pitfalls can be
Old Jun 25 2007, 12:16 AM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Dee - Good idea for a time limit. We'll have to add that. I think two weeks should be plenty, don't you think?

Lily - Nice to have someone step forward as care taker!

I've sent an email to Anne E Zeek asking for permission to copy the Portfolio. I just don't want to have any issues with copyrights. Just so you all know and we have to squash this idea.
Old Jun 25 2007, 12:16 AM   #6
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I would be interested (I'd love to read the Portfolio, but I have no desire to spend the kind of money required to buy a copy), and I also think Deanne makes a very good suggestion--I know I just tend to get lazy about mailing things, never mind taking time to read everything slowly.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2007, 04:17 AM   #7
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land

OK, my memory is not the best but isn't the copyright for the Portfolio in Anne's name? Could not one of you lucky people who are actually aquainted with her ask her permission? As said, it would not be for any profit, just the enjoyment of her fans and that in itself is a great compliment that her fans are still so eager to be able to read something that is connected to her!
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2007, 10:47 AM   #8
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Oh, please, add me to the list. I would love to see it, too.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2007, 10:49 AM   #9
Becky
Coelura

Dee - hon, your memory is better than mine! You're right (I think, it's packed so I can't check) I always connect A Zeek with the portfolio and plumb forgot that it is copyrighted to A McCaffrey. I'll shoot an email off to and and if I have no reply I know someone who might get one.
Old Jun 25 2007, 02:18 PM   #10
Sandi

It's nice to know someone who knows someone, isn't it?
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2007, 02:47 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I'm sure Anne wouldn't object, not since this is a thing that's looong since been out of print and there can't be any money made from it (anymore).

Please do send the mail but I don't think this is really important

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2007, 06:19 PM   #12
Lily

Is it too early to find out how many "southerners" would be interested in seeing it?

ME!
Old Jun 25 2007, 11:47 PM   #13
Becky
Coelura

Yahoooooooo! Anne says it's ok to make a couple of copies to circulate!!! So we're clear to go!

So it looks like Sarahlin is first (for my side of the water) - funny I've got to make up some Guides since I've run out and will have to go to the copy store for that and now for the Portfolio, both for Sarah!!
Then Anareth - you're in the US if I recall correctly?
Then L'isa - I know you're in the US.

And it's Lily for our friends down under. (so far)

Hmmm, I think I'll make an adjustment to the first post of this thread, will be easier to keep track of then.
Old Jun 26 2007, 12:07 AM   #14
~(_'>

I would like to be added to the list please.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2007, 01:21 AM   #15
Lily

Becky - you'll want me to PM you my address then?
AND Serioiusly now: All NZ/Australians post their interest please

Lily (NZ)
Joz (Au)

Last edited by Lily; Jun 26 2007 at 08:06 AM.
Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2007, 01:32 AM   #16
Becky
Coelura

Sure, Lily, that way I'll have it once I get the copies done. Thanks!
Old Jun 26 2007, 07:02 AM   #17
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

I'd like to view a copy, but I'd need to be last on the list, since my money situation at the moment (And for the next couple of months) is basically me rationing myself to £5 a week.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2007, 07:21 AM   #18
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

If there is a copy coming south of the equator I'll be in it. Add me to your list please Lily.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2007, 10:11 AM   #19
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.

OK - count me in for the group-signed copy thing. I like the idea of all of us signing it.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2007, 10:34 AM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

OK, for Europe I have

- Sara
- Peter
- Edith

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Jun 26 2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jun 26 2007, 11:48 AM   #21
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

me too in Europe please Hans
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2007, 05:25 PM   #22
Becky
Coelura

I've gotten the copies made of the Portfolio. But I'm working on giving them a decent binding so they'll be easy to handle but stay in good shape. I plan on binding them just like I do the Guide, with a clear front and a backing and a comb ring binding. This way the'll be easy to read and handle. But I'm waiting for supplies to come to me. I'll let you all know when it's all done and will be mailed out, but wanted to give you an update.
Old Jul 4 2007, 05:53 PM   #23
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.

Do you want us all to PM you our addresses? or are you contacting the first person in the list, who then contacts the second person etc etc..
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2007, 08:58 PM   #24
Becky
Coelura

I think that I'll leave the address thing in those who want to see it. So I'll contact the first person who will contact the next and so on.

And remember, everyone, it will the responsibility of the person who has it to be sure to send it on after two weeks and also to pay to mail it to the next person.
I've got a Tyvek envelope ready for Lily to pass on, and it's got clear tape where the postage and mailing labels should go and that way can be peeled off (with some difficulty, I'm sure) but shouldn't damage the envelope so that it can be reused several times.
I'm doing the same thing with a box here in the US. I figure a box here since it's liable to be going to more members, but again I've put clear tape over the postage areas and mailing label areas for reuse.

But no rush, I'm waiting for supplies to get the binding for it done. Ordered them today, so at least a week before they get here.
Old Jul 15 2007, 08:38 PM   #25
Becky
Coelura

Ok, got the supplies and have the Portfolios all nicely bound.

Sarahlin has first dibs on one copy and the other will be sent to Lily. I'll be heading to the post office on Tuesday to get them sent off!

Just thought of something to add - Please post here when you receive the Portfolio, just so we can sort of keep track of who's got it. Also, post when you've sent it to the next person in line. You can PM me for the name of the next person if you're unsure. We can also give a gentle nudge if we don't see where you've passed it on within the two week time limit. Just remember you can always ask for it back later if you think two weeks is not quite long enough.

Here we go!!!
Old Jul 16 2007, 04:08 AM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

I'm sorry but the Europeans will have to wait a little longer. I'm on holiday right now and I will make the colour copies at work when I get back. I'll keep you posted in here!

Kudos to Becky!

Old Jul 16 2007, 11:02 AM   #27
Becky
Coelura

Lucky you Hans! Enjoy your vacation!

Since I'll be moving in a couple of months I wanted to get the books all packed away without the rush and I had run out of my Anne Guides so had to whip up a few more since I have an order, so things sort of fell into place for me to get this done. So I've had more 'push' to do it. If I had a vacation I doubt it would be done.
Old Jul 18 2007, 01:25 AM   #28
Becky
Coelura

We're off!

The Portfolio copies have been sent, today, to Sarahlin and Lily! Ladies, please post here when you receive the copy, just so we know they've been received and we can also keep an eye out for fair time-sharing of them.
Old Jul 18 2007, 04:19 AM   #29
Lily

Noted

Joz, you'll need to let me have you address

Becky, this could take a week to get to me, hopefully, 3/4 days though
I'll post soon as its arrived

Any other kiwis - let me know urgently, before I send it out of the country again
Old Jul 18 2007, 04:24 AM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

Maybe its best to start seperate threads for each Portfolio. It could get mightily confusion having the travels of two or three of them in one thread

So, Becky, hoe about starting two thread, kicking of with a post with time and date youbrought these babies to the post office and where of course.

Maybe a special Google Map could be made to show us their travels. If this is new to you I'll be glad to make the initial one.

Old Jul 20 2007, 08:30 AM   #31
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I sent a pm to you a few days ago Lily, with my address, so I hope you got it.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20 2007, 06:02 PM   #32
Lily

yes Joz, I did
And I'll post here when I receive and send it on

No more kiwis or aussies want to see it????
Old Jul 22 2007, 06:53 PM   #33
Lily

And it's arrived. It took ten days!!!
I want to take my time over studying it, but two weeks should be plenty
I'll post here when I send it to Australia, and it looks as if Joz will be returning it to Becky

Thank you thank you!!!!!
Old Jul 22 2007, 08:03 PM   #34
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Lily, add me to your list

You know how to reach me by Phone. If not, just PM me and I'll pass you the number (My Mobile has changed BTW)

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2007, 07:13 AM   #35
Lily

It's on the list!!!!

(I'll call you)
Old Jul 23 2007, 07:16 AM   #36
Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Becky - you'll want me to PM you my address then?
AND Serioiusly now: All NZ/Australians post their interest please

Lily (NZ)

Kugai (NZ)..........................

Joz (Au)
Old Jul 24 2007, 02:26 AM   #37
Becky
Coelura

Lily - if you would take charge of the copy that you've got for a while (after Joz has had a turn with it) rather than have it sent back to me. This will give some time for others in your area to ask for it.
I'm glad you got it Lily! Enjoy it!!!

I'm going to post about this in the DRoP forum to see if we can get some more interest.

I'll also be starting two threads about this, per Hans' suggestion. One for the US/Canada and one for NZ/AUS to make it easier to track.
Old Jul 24 2007, 02:43 AM   #38
Becky
Coelura

Lily - please post to the new thread when you received the copy. (if you haven't already, when you read this)
Old Jul 24 2007, 02:46 AM   #39
Becky
Coelura

Hans - if you've the time, please set up the Google map for this. I've not done it and don't have a clue how to start it or even where to go to do so. If you can't send me a link to where to do this and I'll try to figure it out, it may take some time as I've sold my house and will start packing in ernest soon.
Old Jul 24 2007, 05:43 AM   #40
Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
And it's arrived. It took ten days!!!
I want to take my time over studying it, but two weeks should be plenty
I'll post here when I send it to Australia, and it looks as if Joz will be returning it to Becky

Thank you thank you!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Lily - if you would take charge of the copy that you've got for a while (after Joz has had a turn with it) rather than have it sent back to me. This will give some time for others in your area to ask for it.
I'm glad you got it Lily! Enjoy it!!!

I'm going to post about this in the DRoP forum to see if we can get some more interest.

I'll also be starting two threads about this, per Hans' suggestion. One for the US/Canada and one for NZ/AUS to make it easier to track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Lily - please post to the new thread when you received the copy. (if you haven't already, when you read this)
I might just keep it in NZ for two or three weeks in case any more kiwis express an interest then.

I shall post in the new thread, and ask for NZers and Aussies again