A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Doona and Dinosaur Planet/Planet Pirates

Old Nov 27 2004, 03:18 AM   #1
Shani

Default Building a Doonan Bridge

The Hrrubans practically forced the humans to build (or help build) a bridge across the river for easier access to each villiage. The humans were very worried because their history was full of conquest and wars. Modern Day Humans were used to sterile boxes for homes, soft whispered voices and tight mincing steps in corridores where breathing was almost a social sin. Were they really capable of making war on Anyone??
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 09:20 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Building a Doonan Bridge

Not the original generation of colonists, but depending on how human history is taught and what is emphasized, future generations may not have the same inhibitions to violence.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2004, 10:21 PM   #3
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

And if humans go the way humans tend to go then unfortunatly it might be a sad possibility.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 06:25 AM   #4
Shani

I think the point was brought across fairly forcably when it was suggested to move the Urfa over the bridge to safety when the snakes threatened. Ken had to do some pretty fast talking to convince the others that moving their property to the 'Hrruban' side was trespassing and going down that road was not a good idea.
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2004, 01:14 PM   #5
Linmag
Glow

Judging by the attitudes of the kids in Treaty Planet, I would say that they would go on to share the planet in a much less self-conscious way, and with less need to consider boundaries. At the start of this book, territorial expansion was one of the issues that concerned Todd Reeve in the discussions about the proposed new Trade Facility, but the advent of the third alien race was a balancing influence. With each new race that joined the treaty, territorial expansionism by a single race would become proportionately less of a problem, and less likely.
Linmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2004, 09:51 PM   #6
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

I always wondered about the Hrruban's motivation, too. It seemed to me that some of the Hrruban villagers were wanting to force not only the humans to meet them, but their own government to acknowledge the need to establish trade and contact with an alien species.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote