A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Dec 16 2014, 09:48 AM   #1
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Default The Dragonriders of Pern Movie - Todd's Official Announcement

Hey everyone!! It's been a ridiculously long time since I posted, but I was so excited to read Todd's email this morning.

Todd is officially confirming that Warner Brothers has optioned The Dragonriders of Pern and it's now in active development!!

We've still got a long way to go... but this is exciting news!!

See the link below to his newsletter!!

http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...b&e=21761487cf
Old Dec 16 2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: The Dragonriders of Pern Movie - Todd's Official Announcement

For some reason this just makes me chuckle!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Some of us are already patient since 1967

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2014, 08:35 PM   #4
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I will believe it when it hits the theater

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2014, 12:52 AM   #5
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I will believe it when it hits the theater
......and is recognizable as Anne's story or stories.
Old Dec 17 2014, 01:16 AM   #6
Natalya
Darbul

Fan of: The White Dragon

Less than half a year since the first rumors about the WB, as waiting for the owner of copyright in a series of some comment.

But now you can "officially" prepare to meet the new wave of fans. Gloss on the encyclopedia and Wikipedia
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

We shall see.

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Brenda

Wow.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2014, 01:15 PM   #9
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

Warner Brothers?

Wait. Wasn't the TV series going to be made with them until they demanded a whole bunch of changes?
Old Dec 20 2014, 08:55 AM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Yup

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22 2014, 07:31 PM   #11
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClance View Post
Warner Brothers?

Wait. Wasn't the TV series going to be made with them until they demanded a whole bunch of changes?
Yes it was. We can only hope the twits that caused Abbrams to pull the plug on production are no longer there (it has been 10+yrs).
I have seen a few recent news articles and it would appear things are better than back then.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23 2014, 12:54 AM   #12
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

From what I remember it would have to be better

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24 2014, 03:46 PM   #13
Kugai
Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan

Fan of: Tower and Hive Series
Now Reading: Whatever takes my fancy at the moment

Abbrams?

Do you mean JJ 'Lets **** Up Star Trek' Abrams?

Homepage
FreeBabylon5
FreeBabylon5 Website
Kugai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24 2014, 09:40 PM   #14
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Fantastic Voyage

I thought it was Ronald D. Moore.
Old Dec 27 2014, 04:18 PM   #15
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I think Dragonflight would be best done by the Ardman Studios who do Wallace and Grommit. With plasticene figures and stop-frame photography you're not bound by what human actors can be made to do.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2014, 09:44 AM   #16
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Waiting patiently

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Spock
Jewel Junk

Fan of: The Smallest Dragon Boy
Now Reading: DragonWriter

I'm having none of that, I'm waiting impatiently!
Old Dec 28 2014, 12:42 PM   #18
Daccio
Crafter

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: The Two Georges

I just hope they strive to stay true to Anne's world. It's impossible to translate a book directly into film. It will always have to be an adaptation. Let's just hope it isn't WAY off when completed.
Daccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29 2014, 04:42 PM   #19
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClance View Post
I thought it was Ronald D. Moore.
Sorry, my bad. You're right. It was Moore who stopped the Xenafying of Pern.
Old Dec 29 2014, 05:23 PM   #20
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I think Dragonflight would be best done by the Ardman Studios who do Wallace and Grommit. With plasticene figures and stop-frame photography you're not bound by what human actors can be made to do.
I liked W&G, so please don't misunderstand what I'm about to say, but I have to disagree wholeheartedly on that idea.

Stop motion is pretty limiting for several issues—the worst of which is the time to make any sort of scene. It takes HOURS just to do a few seconds on film! Plus the amount of reshoots needed for any mistakes in adjusting the figures while shooting.

Then, there's the inherent cartoony-look of anything done in stop motion. It may be okay for a cartoon-type story, but Dragonriders is a subject that just doesn’t lend itself to the toon venue.

Figures in stop motion have very limited range of emotional expression, taking more away from the experience of watching a “serious” story.

Full or even partial-CGI is by far the better choice for something like Pern. No pun intended, but CGI can be “tuned” for cartoon to so-bloody-REAL-you’dshityourselflookingatit or anything in between. (My vote, of course, is for the full-on so-bloody-REAL-you’d….well, you get the idea ). CGI has that advantage that you mention for stop motion, in that people, creatures, and objects are not limited as they are in filming 'live video'--but CGI has many advantages that stop motion could only dream of having. Thing like special effects, wild camera directions (we're talking about the wild & crazy moves that a flying creature would have to have to avoid injuries in mid-air battle--there's going to be LOTS of THAT!!) and other items.

While not nearly as fast as filming action in real-time, CGI rendering is MUCH faster than stop-motion (depending on the type of scene involved, it can sometimes be as fast as the action you’d be watching in the theater—not often, though). Mistakes are far fewer as the action is often worked out long before the final rendering is begun.

CGI is easily able to incorporate and blend in ‘live action’ material or other methods, which allows studios to search for the best and most cost effective way of developing the scene.

We definitely want something that the public will look at this and say "why can't we have MORE movies like THAT?" rather than "Why put all that blood & gore in a 'kiddies' cartoon'?" Otherwise, we'd NEVER see DragonQuest & TWD if DragonFlight looked like W&G.
Old Jan 3 2015, 07:15 PM   #21
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

CGI is best when used very, very sparingly. This is why JJ Abrams = YES for Star Wars (he managed to do most of Star Trek's effects without resorting to "Oh, f*** it, just green-screen it; you're talking to the tennis ball over there about that ping-pong ball on a stick behind him, now imagine it's a bar...") and George Lucas = NO (for why see the outtake from Attack of the Clones where Natalie Portman, who can't see anything of what her scene will look like as she runs down a green-screen platform, breaks down into a giggle fit over "This is a joke, right?" as she ducks imaginary machines and responds to imaginary flames. Pern could very easily be mostly real sets, real actors, even partial-model dragons, with CGI and green-screen where needed. The flying dragons are effects-heavy. A Weyr or Hold set? Lord of the Rings being a location film is enough to say it can be done convincingly without being in a box or all animated.

I really can't see Pern as animated, stop-motion or otherwise.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2015, 02:08 AM   #22
paul
Muskie

Fan of: Menolly in Dragonsinger.
Now Reading: "The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins

Personally I already have the books as fully visualized in my own imagination and would rather them not end up as movies or TV series. My 2 cents includes the strong feeling that Anne had to be in creative control in order for anything like a decent movie to be made. Now she is gone there is nobody around to fill her shoes. I remember her saying on more than one occasion that she would only sell the rights on condition that she had that creative control. Seems to me there was a good reason for her saying that. Take a look at The Hobbit trilogy to see what happens when that control is lost.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2015, 10:41 AM   #23
Natalya
Darbul

Fan of: The White Dragon

From Interview With Anne McCaffrey by Lynne Jamneck (2004) (http://www.writing-world.com/sf/mccaffrey.shtml)

How are things these days with regards to the Pern Series being turned into a film? I think the film industry is currently -- at least technology-wise -- in a supreme position to bring the books to life.

Well, we have had several false starts to a film of the Dragonriders of Pern, which is infuriating when I see lesser ones getting their share of screen time. Technology is fine... getting a producer who won't dumb the material down is impossible. One of the more recent attempts had Kylara, a grown up Jaxom and Lessa all inhabiting Ruatha Hold when the Dragonriders come on search.

I really urped because there was no reason for Kylara (who comes from Telgar Hold) to be at Ruatha, and there was less for Jaxom to be grown up since he hadn't yet been born. Oh, well, they were trying to appeal to the teenage market, at the expense of my finely tuned plot. So it's probably just as well that that particular script was never shot.

Now if Peter Jackson would turn his attention to the Dragonriders of Pern, there would be a rival for the beauty and awesomeness of The Lord of the Rings Cycle, which I thought was truly spectacular.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2015, 02:33 PM   #24
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
CGI is best when used very, very sparingly. This is why JJ Abrams = YES for Star Wars (he managed to do most of Star Trek's effects without resorting to "Oh, f*** it, just green-screen it; you're talking to the tennis ball over there about that ping-pong ball on a stick behind him, now imagine it's a bar...") and George Lucas = NO (for why see the outtake from Attack of the Clones where Natalie Portman, who can't see anything of what her scene will look like as she runs down a green-screen platform, breaks down into a giggle fit over "This is a joke, right?" as she ducks imaginary machines and responds to imaginary flames. Pern could very easily be mostly real sets, real actors, even partial-model dragons, with CGI and green-screen where needed. The flying dragons are effects-heavy. A Weyr or Hold set? Lord of the Rings being a location film is enough to say it can be done convincingly without being in a box or all animated.

I really can't see Pern as animated, stop-motion or otherwise.
Ummm---not really seeing your point about how Portman's acting ability, or the quality of the director for that matter, relates to the value of the CGI used

True, some CGI shops can be totally attrocious, but then the same can be said of just about any method used if you pick the wrong contractor to pull it off. But let's not forget, Lucas did create ILM, which is no fly-by-night outfit. WETA, too, is no slouch. And they both *know* how to mix & match other methods to help a studio & director bring their films to life.
That said, what other cost-effective method could've been done for that scene? Use a matte painting?--same greenscreen problem. Miniature set?--b***h wouldn't fit in anything but a Godzilla suit! Actually build a full-scale 30th Cent. Versailles so the idiot could perform?--hardly cost effective. Sorry

Besides, lots of actors will get the giggles or flub their lines, or *something* happens that causes a take to be destined for the blooper reel. The measure of the actor is can he/she pull off the scene well enough at least *once* in order for it to be caught on film? As to the quality of a director, does the finished product (the stuff projected on the wall) look like it's supposed to & come in on budget? (I can't use the phrase "& look real" here, because as we all know that sometimes, the film is meant to look like shit)
Old Aug 4 2015, 08:17 PM   #25
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Ah, the joys of Development Hell. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that nothing has happened since December last year. Sigh.
Old Aug 5 2015, 01:58 PM   #26
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I'd like to see the film done by Pixar!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6 2015, 12:25 AM   #27
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I'd like to see the film done by Pixar!
I would like to be both closed caption, and audio description
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2015, 12:19 AM   #28
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Just as long as it's good... and captioned!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote