A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 28 2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default F'lar and dueling - a favorite pasttime?

While answering an email question I got about F'lar's duel with T'kul, I was reminded of the fact that he seems to get into quite a lot them, at least as compared to other characters. First there's his duel with Fax, then the duel with T'ton/T'ron which results in the Oldtimers exile to the south, then the duel with T'kul (after T'kul's Salth bursts his heart trying to fly gold Caylith).

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other characters we see entering duels, so while the duel seems to be a somewhat standard legal way to settle differences, we only see F'lar making use of this custom. Is F'lar a violent man or is he just in the wrong place at the right time, or perhaps the only man willing to step forward and challenge those that need challenging?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2005, 11:46 AM   #2
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings
Default Re: F'lar and dueling - a favorite pasttime?

He is just a leader in the wrong place and time. He may be the only person we see duelling like that, but three duels in what, 12+ years? is not really excessive.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2005, 01:15 PM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Its not excessive, but F'lar does tend to be violent in DF esp! he seems to grow out of it!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2005, 02:18 PM   #4
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Suppose that had to do with when Anne wrote DF...and then F'lar got fleshed out an developed, and didn't need to resort to violence quite so much...

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2005, 02:57 PM   #5
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

F'lar did tend to get in a lot of duels - but I agree with Tresa - he seemed to calm down as the series went on. He had other priorities as the series continued, and he didn't have to worry about the Oldtimers as much after they were exiled.
Chimaerrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2005, 02:22 PM   #6
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

What about T'reb and F'nor? When his green got proddy he was getting sensitive and he took his dagger against F'nor. I can't remember if it was much of a duel or he just slashed F'nor, but it was a fight.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2005, 02:34 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

just slashed at F'nor, F'nor wasn't expecting a fight!
Old Nov 29 2005, 02:49 PM   #8
Pat69La
Golden Flier

Smile Re: F'lar and dueling - a favorite pasttime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
He is just a leader in the wrong place and time. He may be the only person we see duelling like that, but three duels in what, 12+ years? is not really excessive.
I agree with Ch_is. My thought was that F'lar was the one person who could challange those he dueled with with any chance of winning at times when the stakes were so high.
Dragonmen must fly when Threads are in the sky! "
Pat69La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2005, 06:10 AM   #9
Dragongirl
.:. Baroness von Imp .:.
Weyrling

Fan of: I do not 'fan'. I obsess.
Now Reading: The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly.
Blue Re: F'lar and dueling - a favorite pasttime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
Its not excessive, but F'lar does tend to be violent in DF esp! he seems to grow out of it!

Hi everyone I'm back from Melbourne!!
Now..whats the bet Lessa got abit snitzy and put her foot down!? Or mabey she used a leather riding strap? Mclance knows what I'm talking about! Just read my lil' part in Pern Dreams..I swear it really happened!

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Dragongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2005, 05:09 PM   #10
Mausey
Darbul

Didn't Lessa manipulate F'lar into the duel with Fax? And the duel with T'kul was a set up. Isn't it said that T'kul took his dragon there just so he would die flying therefore giving his "grieving" rider a chance to take out F'lar. Not necessarily a violent man, just handy. Lessa wanted Fax gone, grab the ranking rider. T'kul and the other oldtimers wanted F'lar gone, use a gold flight as an excuse.
Mausey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2005, 06:25 PM   #11
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Nice reasoning, Mausey...

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2005, 06:56 PM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I don't think Salth's death was deliberate...
its not the sort of thing that's done
but the rest, yeah...
only trouble is that it doesn't explain the shakings etc!
Old Dec 8 2005, 09:01 PM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

It would seem unthinkable, but it was said in the book that T'kul might have come for the flight for the purpose of losing control and maybe killing F'lar.
Old Dec 9 2005, 02:36 PM   #14
Brenda

Quote:
Isn't it said that T'kul took his dragon there just so he would die flying therefore giving his "grieving" rider a chance to take out F'lar.
I don't think they actually said that he went so that he would have an excuse to kill F'lar. I know T'kul took his dragon because it was an open flight, and the southern Oldtimers had no rising queens anymore, and apparently their bronzes were getting horny. T'kul already hated F'lar, first for exiling the oldtimers and, more recently, for taking back the queen egg they had stolen (he didn't know F'lar didn't have anything to do with that) and therefore their last chance at retaining any power at all. When his dragon died, any reason he had for not attacking F'lar disappeared.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9 2005, 03:34 PM   #15
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Yes, but as an old dragon, Salth had no real chance of catching the queen anyhow, and T'kul knew that.

*going to have to dig up the relevant passage tonight*
Old Dec 9 2005, 09:34 PM   #16
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Relevant passages from The White Dragon, Chapter XIV (sorry, no page numbers, took this from an ebook):

Quote:
Just as Robinton realized that the beasts must have flown in at sea level to get this close to the Weyr undetected, he also realized that these were older beasts, muzzles graying, necks thickened. Southerners. Two of the Oldfimers' bronzes. That had to be T'kul with Salth, and probably B'zon with Ranilth.

D'ram reached T'kul first. "You fool, this is for young beasts. You'll kill Salth."

"What option have you left us?" B'zon demanded just as F'lar and Robinton skidded to either side of the two Southerners. There was a hysterical note in the man's voice. "Our queens are too old to rise: there are no greens to give the males relief. We must..."

"I did, but your bronzes are too old, T'kul." He gestured toward the eager young dragons. The difference between them and the two older ones was pathetically obvious.

"Salth's dying anyway. Let him go out flying. I made that choice, D'ram, when I brought him here." T'kul stared hard at F'lar, the bitterness and hatred so vivid that Robinton sucked in his breath.

Then Robinton recalled the pulsing hatred for F'lar in T'kul's eyes. It was malice and spite that motivated the former High Reaches Weyrleader-and hatred for an exile not of his choosing.

The queens might be too old to rise, but that was only a recent occurrence, Robinton thought, and the bronzes could not be in that hard a case. They were ageing as well and the blood did not so easily quicken, so the old urgencies surely could be contained.

I would say that makes it pretty clear that T'kul expected the flight would kill Salth.
Old Dec 16 2005, 07:47 PM   #17
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Now Reading: Something, always something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mausey
Didn't Lessa manipulate F'lar into the duel with Fax? And the duel with T'kul was a set up. Isn't it said that T'kul took his dragon there just so he would die flying therefore giving his "grieving" rider a chance to take out F'lar. Not necessarily a violent man, just handy. Lessa wanted Fax gone, grab the ranking rider. T'kul and the other oldtimers wanted F'lar gone, use a gold flight as an excuse.
Does that just mean he's easily manipulated?
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2005, 11:10 AM   #18
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Well, we know Lessa didn't play fair with her manipulations. She's got rather a Jedi-like knack for making people do her bidding.

And T'kul's plot was successful, though I F'lar didn't have to kill him. But it was actually the nice thing to do given the death of Salth.
Old Dec 18 2005, 06:39 PM   #19
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Gold Re: F'lar and dueling - a favorite pasttime?

F'lar didn't really know Lessa could do all this in the beginning until she told him and it says in Skies or rather she says that she'd never been able to cloud his mind after. I'll have to find the passage.

On the other hand, Lessa as a Jedi?? I reckon that'd be just dangerous! She's scary enough without having a 10 inch long, burning lightsaber! I don't think even F'lar would attempt to come near her, especially if Ramoth's proddy!! Completely of topic but the thought's just scary but funnily so!

Those who seek to create war are mongrels and fools, but the blood they spill as a result is never meaningless. - Lucrezia Noin

When someone is grieving for what they've lost, you can't really say you know how they feel, or how they should handle things. Because even if you've lost too, everyone grieves differently. Anyone who says otherwise are presumptuous idiots.-Hayley (My friend can be an astonishing wealth of wisdom)
Old Dec 27 2005, 04:23 PM   #20
Myt
Stowaway
Senior Apprentice

Now Reading: Something, always something...

maybe someone should write something like that.
Myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2005, 07:35 PM   #21
Dragongirl
Weyrling

Gold Re: F'lar and dueling - a favorite pasttime?

*Lessa fiddling with lightsaber* What did you say dear heart? *In a really dangerous voice*
F'nor*yes I puttin him there for abit of fun* and I reckon Ramoth's proddy.
*F'nor looks at lightsaber nervously* F'lar stop it.Now.
*Lessa draws lightsaber* I'm going to kill you.
*F'nor grabs F'lar's jacket* RUN YOU IDIOT RUN!!
*With anime style anger, Lessa starts chasing them*
*F'lar and F'nor* Aaaaargh!! *F'nor screams* YOU IDIOT!! WHY DID YOU DO THAT? WHY??

Old Dec 29 2005, 09:35 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Dragongirl, that is really funny, but Cheryl has the right of it.F'lar killed T'kul out of protection for everyone there, and for mercy with his dragon.
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2009, 01:46 PM   #23
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Ok, I thought this to be a very good Thread that we didn't finish, so I would just like to put something in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myt View Post
Does that just mean he's easily manipulated?
I don't think F'lar is easily manipulated. He didn't know that Lessa can do what she can, so he was off his guard, not expecting it. If I remember it correctly, later, when Lessa again tried to manipulate the dragonriders, he knew what to expect and stopped her on time.
And for T'kul and T'ron; F'lar didn't come there to fight, but when they attacked, I don't think that he could just stay and do nothing, or run, or let others fight for him (and he most positively could not reason with them) so he did the most reasonable thing he could.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2009, 07:29 PM   #24
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

F'lar's first duel with Fax is partly attributable to outside influence (Lessa), but it's initiated by...Fax.

F'lar's second duel with T'ron is initiated by...T'ron.

F'lar's third duel with T'kul is initiated by...T'kul.

F'lar doesn't start these fights, but he does end them. That he's (relatively) good at doing so is probably attributable to his training for them to guard against the kind of situation that killed his father. As much as F'lar admired the F'lon, he saw his faults fairly clearly and worked very hard to not possess those faults himself.

F'nor is more like F'lon. More off-the-cuff and random. F'lar has F'lon's charisma (as does F'nor) and drive (F'nor, not-so-much), but F'lar is extremely controlled and cunning. He doesn't move openly as F'lon did and his is constantly on the watch for people moving against him (either physically or politically). F'nor doesn't read the circumstances correctly when he is attacked, and doesn't defend himself particularly effectively. F'lar takes wounds too, but in much more dangerous and serious situations with higher stakes.

[Aside: The reality of knife fights is you should never expect to exit one uninjured--ignore anything you've seen in Hollyweird, other that a commando getting the drop on someone from behind...and even that's not always a forgone conclusion. Also, knife guards are rudimentary and half the time any blow adequate to penetrate--especially against a target in heavy leather--is likely to result in the fingers riding past the guard and being cut.]

F'lar's duels are the result of others' resentments and their attempts to remove him as an obstacle. It's the last recourse of someone who is clearly in the wrong and cannot overbear his opposition by force of reason, personality or morality. So the attempt is made to overbear by force.

F'lar has no intention of being overborne by anyone, not a hidebound R'gul, a rabid conqueror, a headstrong young Weyrwoman, a conniving weyrwoman wannabe, a group of rebellious skinflint nobles, an arrogant rival Weyrleader, a crafty harper, a half-mad desperate ex-Weyrleader, or a jump-up self-made lord with delusions of grandeur and in his extremely self-controlling way F'lar has prepared for the eventualities.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Oct 20 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: typo
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20 2009, 07:46 PM   #25
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
Hardly. It's a case of "top gun." When you're the "top gun" rivals go out of their way to challenge you until they learn that you're too good to beat and/or you have enough friends to avenge you to make beating you pointless.

Very few gunmen really took a shot at a lawman. The few that did were generally deranged. We can legitimately say that two of F'lar's opponents were deranged (Fax and T'kul). The duel with T'ron was the most cold-blooded.

At the time of the duel with Fax, F'lar was not the law, just a rival that may have represented legitimate authority but was not so highly placed as to be unassailable. Desperate to keep his status as top gun and insecure about it, Fax had an inclination to challenge F'lar. Doing so would build his reputation and make him more intimidating to rivals--always the criminal's attempt to fulfill the second criteria for securing oneself as top gun.

At the time of the duel with T'ron, both parties were legitimate authorities and the situation came down to establishing which authority would be supreme. T'ron attempted to do this by force-of-arms and failed. This made F'lar the top gun, and legitimate, but not necessarily so secure that he could not be assailed.

Enter T'kul. The last means of taking on a top gun is if a random actor can take him down (a la Wild Bill Hickok's fate). The man who killed Hickok succeeded, but T'kul failed.

F'lar's first duel made him arguably the top gun.

F'lar's second duel established him as the acknowledged top gun.

F'lar's third duel established him as such a dangerous, and secure top gun that there is no point in challenging him. Even if one was successful in taking him down, every power on Pern would avenge him. After all, Wild Bill Hickok got a noted funeral. Jack McCall got hanged for killing Hickok. A lot of people didn't like Hickok and McCall thought he'd be a hero for killing him, but every hand was turned against him. Such would be the fate of anyone who succeeded in taking F'lar out after the duel with T'kul.

Under such circumstances, the focus shifts to the top gun's lieutenants. Like the Clantons going after Wyatt Earp's brothers when they were too afraid of tackling Wyatt directly. Thus the later murder/kidnap plots are against Jaxom and Robinton, not against F'lar.

Last edited by ElectricDragon; Oct 20 2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 20 2009, 10:50 PM   #26
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I don't think F'lar looks for fight, but that does not mean that he won't stand up for himself and what he believes in or for the good of Pern. I think that he is a good leader that does what he must do for the good of everyone.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21 2009, 07:39 PM   #27
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricDragon View Post
F'lar's first duel with Fax is partly attributable to outside influence (Lessa), but it's initiated by...Fax.

F'lar doesn't start these fights, but he does end them. That he's (relatively) good at doing so is probably attributable to his training for them to guard against the kind of situation that killed his father. As much as F'lar admired the F'lon, he saw his faults fairly clearly and worked very hard to not possess those faults himself.
I suspect F'lar had been hoping for a chance to avenge his father ever since Fax killed him. Probably more so after F'lon's early death caused the Weyrleadership to pass to riders who didn't believe Thread was coming back and relegated F'lar to the background. Fax's callous treatment of Lady Gemma disgusted him, and by the time they reached Ruatha, both he and F'nor wanted to kill Fax, and thought their prospects of success were good.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22 2009, 10:29 AM   #28
Brenda

I just had a thought... As I mentioned, I have a hard time with the idea that F'lar was avenging his father, since that part was mostly retconned in with MHoP - we don't see it in DF, where we are pretty much in F'lar's head.

However.

Assuming that this was the case, that F'lar already had a hatred of Fax stemming back many years, it is amazing that he was assigned to Search in Fax's territory at all! Which would make it a further example of R'gul's stupidity and obliviousness. For someone who is terrified of provoking the Holders, he sure wasn't paying attention when he sent someone with a grudge that big!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22 2009, 12:15 PM   #29
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I just had a thought... As I mentioned, I have a hard time with the idea that F'lar was avenging his father, since that part was mostly retconned in with MHoP - we don't see it in DF, where we are pretty much in F'lar's head.

However.

Assuming that this was the case, that F'lar already had a hatred of Fax stemming back many years, it is amazing that he was assigned to Search in Fax's territory at all! Which would make it a further example of R'gul's stupidity and obliviousness. For someone who is terrified of provoking the Holders, he sure wasn't paying attention when he sent someone with a grudge that big!
Unless R'gul was HOPING Fax would get rid of F'lar for him.

I see your point about the retconning -- almost the only mention of F'lon in DF is that he 'got himself killed in that ridiculous brawl'.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22 2009, 12:16 PM   #30
Blue Rider 16
Dylanist

Fan of: The Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: All The Weyrs of Pern

I doubt R'gul was not aware of the grudge (assuming there was one). Dragonriders are emphasized as being more aware of emotional states than the common Pernese. R'gul was an able Wingleader and dragonrider despite his lack of faith--he would have been able to sense the grudge if F'lar had it. However, I suspect that he also knew F'lar had amazing self-control--it's emphasized throughout Dragonflight that F'lar does have control of self. I also seem to recall that F'lar chose to Search the High Reaches. I am not sure if R'gul would have been willing or able to contradict F'lar on that. After all, he was afraid of him, and that is where is hatred sprung from.
Old Oct 22 2009, 01:58 PM   #31
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:

F'nor is more like F'lon. More off-the-cuff and random. F'lar has F'lon's charisma (as does F'nor) and drive (F'nor, not-so-much), but F'lar is extremely controlled and cunning. He doesn't move openly as F'lon did and his is constantly on the watch for people moving against him (either physically or politically). F'nor doesn't read the circumstances correctly when he is attacked, and doesn't defend himself particularly effectively. F'lar takes wounds too, but in much more dangerous and serious situations with higher stakes.

[Aside: The reality of knife fights is you should never expect to exit one uninjured--ignore anything you've seen in Hollyweird, other that a commando getting the drop on someone from behind...and even that's not always a forgone conclusion. Also, knife guards are rudimentary and half the time any blow adequate to penetrate--especially against a target in heavy leather--is likely to result in the fingers riding past the guard and being cut.]

F'lar's duels are the result of others' resentments and their attempts to remove him as an obstacle. It's the last recourse of someone who is clearly in the wrong and cannot overbear his opposition by force of reason, personality or morality. So the attempt is made to overbear by force.

F'lar has no intention of being overborne by anyone, not a hidebound R'gul, a rabid conqueror, a headstrong young Weyrwoman, a conniving weyrwoman wannabe, a group of rebellious skinflint nobles, an arrogant rival Weyrleader, a crafty harper, a half-mad desperate ex-Weyrleader, or a jump-up self-made lord with delusions of grandeur and in his extremely self-controlling way F'lar has prepared for the eventualities.
I agree with this. F’lar doesn’t go looking for a fight, but he sure knows how to deal with those who do. I suspect that F’lar, after F’lon was killed and R’gul’s Hath flew Nemorth spent the next years learning how to control himself and to defend himself, which is seen in the books.
As for F’nor; I might be repeating myself on this, but I stated somewhere on the forum that it seems like F’nor has no wish to go forward in rank as F’lar does. He seems satisfied with staying in F’lar shadow. Didn’t we see that even when he was supposed to impress Kanth, and did so just because he was the only one left, but in the meantime he stood aside while others impressed.
F’lar does know who’s against him and who’s not, but I think he’s not always prepared for the things those people do. He doesn’t expect them to fight like they do.
Old Oct 22 2009, 02:05 PM   #32
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
I suspect F'lar had been hoping for a chance to avenge his father ever since Fax killed him. Probably more so after F'lon's early death caused the Weyrleadership to pass to riders who didn't believe Thread was coming back and relegated F'lar to the background. Fax's callous treatment of Lady Gemma disgusted him, and by the time they reached Ruatha, both he and F'nor wanted to kill Fax, and thought their prospects of success were good.

Eriflor.
Hmm. I’m not so sure about F’nor as much as I’m about F’lar. I mean, I know that F’nor was probably grieved as much as F’lar, but while in Ruatha, he doesn’t seem as serious as F’lar does. We see him smiling on every move his brother makes and to everything Fax does.
I just hade a though while I was tipping this: is it possible for F’nor to smile as much as he did to Fax not recognizing F’lar (after all, F’lon murder was 10 Turns ago), and of him not taking the defense he probably would if he knew who was coming to his doorstep.
Old Oct 22 2009, 02:10 PM   #33
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriflor View Post
Unless R'gul was HOPING Fax would get rid of F'lar for him.

I see your point about the retconning -- almost the only mention of F'lon in DF is that he 'got himself killed in that ridiculous brawl'.

Eriflor.
Or R’gul just forgot? And maybe you’re right: maybe he was trying to get reed of him.
And perhaps Blue Ride has a point, but I would just like to add something to this: perhaps F’lar asked to be sent to Ruatha, and he could convince R’gul that nothing would happen, that his self-control was good and his anger wouldn’t be something to lead him.
Old Oct 22 2009, 10:19 PM   #34
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
Or R’gul just forgot? And maybe you’re right: maybe he was trying to get reed of him.
And perhaps Blue Ride has a point, but I would just like to add something to this: perhaps F’lar asked to be sent to Ruatha, and he could convince R’gul that nothing would happen, that his self-control was good and his anger wouldn’t be something to lead him.
IIRC, High Reaches was the least desirable area to search because of Fax's antipathy, so when F'lar volunteered to take it, R'gul was probably happy to foist it off on him. IIRC, R'gul already had his eye on Kylara and thought he had matters in the bag. He probably figured F'lar would come up dry in the northwest, thus both sticking F'lar with the scut duty, and seeing that politically he did not return with a viable candidate beholden to him.

I don't think R'gul was trying to quietly dispose of F'lar. R'gul doesn't strike me as that aware, and F'lar's not one to telegraph his feelings. F'lar's not the type to scream "I'll kill the bastard who killed my father!" But he is the type to quietly welcome the opportunity.
Old Oct 22 2009, 10:21 PM   #35
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
He doesn’t expect them to fight like they do.
"No plan survives first contact with the enemy." --Helmuth von Moltke
Old Oct 22 2009, 10:24 PM   #36
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rider 16 View Post
I doubt R'gul was not aware of the grudge (assuming there was one). Dragonriders are emphasized as being more aware of emotional states than the common Pernese. R'gul was an able Wingleader and dragonrider despite his lack of faith--he would have been able to sense the grudge if F'lar had it. However, I suspect that he also knew F'lar had amazing self-control--it's emphasized throughout Dragonflight that F'lar does have control of self. I also seem to recall that F'lar chose to Search the High Reaches. I am not sure if R'gul would have been willing or able to contradict F'lar on that. After all, he was afraid of him, and that is where is hatred sprung from.
At the time of the search, R'gul was a "lame-duck" Weyrleader, pending the hatch, impression and rising of the new queen. His power was weak, open to question and challenge, and rivaled by an equally popular and capable rider: F'lar. As I said before, Benden was in a state of cold civil war. F'lar acknowledged R'gul's authority only as far as necessary and no farther. Otherwise F'lar did has he pleased, up to and including drilling his wing more seriously and thorough than the other wing leaders and conducting foraging raids.
Old Oct 22 2009, 10:26 PM   #37
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rider 16 View Post
Hatred can be emotionless. Anger is an emotion and easily detectable. A cold hatred can be completely submerged. Any number of spies and assassins manage the trick and there is no reason F'lar could not. All it requires is self-control, mental compartmentalization and keeping one's mouth shut.
Old Oct 23 2009, 01:55 AM   #38
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
2cent Re: F'lar and dueling - a favorite pasttime?

In dueling training and/or if the needed to do so, F'lar was more leveled-headed than his F'lon, F'nor for that matter, for he tried to get the pair away from the public eye, but was hurt trying to do so in DQ.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23 2009, 09:58 AM   #39
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern

Quote:
IIRC, High Reaches was the least desirable area to search because of Fax's antipathy, so when F'lar volunteered to take it, R'gul was probably happy to foist it off on him. IIRC, R'gul already had his eye on Kylara and thought he had matters in the bag. He probably figured F'lar would come up dry in the northwest, thus both sticking F'lar with the scut duty, and seeing that politically he did not return with a viable candidate beholden to him.
I was going to mention this, but ED explained it very well.

Yes, R'gul was probably thinking with the wrong head when he was on search. (Looking for pretty girls, instead of empathetic girls.)

And it was well rumored that Fax had "taken" all of the decent women. And as far as anyone knew, Gemma was the only woman who had any decent amount of Ruathan blood, and she could not be taken on search. And that was if R'gul bothered to think that Ruathan women had always had a disproportionate number of Gold Riders/Weyrwomen.

Where F'lar probably remembered it, and was probably hoping to find some woman of Ruathan blood (whose bloodline was probably forgotten) on his search.

GH
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23 2009, 12:28 PM   #40
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHarris View Post

Yes, R'gul was probably thinking with the wrong head when he was on search. (Looking for pretty girls, instead of empathetic girls.)

And it was well rumored that Fax had "taken" all of the decent women. And as far as anyone knew, Gemma was the only woman who had any decent amount of Ruathan blood, and she could not be taken on search. And that was if R'gul bothered to think that Ruathan women had always had a disproportionate number of Gold Riders/Weyrwomen.

GH
I don’t understand why he would make that mistake. I mean, he saw Jora’s Weyrmate, and as I remember from both MHoP and DF, she was no special beauty. He must have remembered that she still flies a Queen, so that doesn’t mean that only the beautiful girl gel lucky (just to be clear: I’m not saying that beautiful girls don’t get lucky: both Kylara and Lessa got Queens. I’m just pointing out that beauty doesn’t need to be the only thing in women you expect to become goldriders).
Maybe R’gul, because of Fax taking all of the decent women’s, with he’s politics ‘’don’t upset the Holders’’ didn’t want to go to Ruatha. He may still remembers how Fax almost saved the man who killed F’lon, so I thought that he could never get away with taking one of his women’s.