A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 29 2007, 01:02 PM   #1
GHarris

Fan of: The White Dragon
Now Reading: Skies of Pern
Default How would you break up the books?

For a series of 3 PERN movies starting with DragonFlight?

(Note: I did post this on another PERN list, but there are people here that don't visit there, and I've added a little of why I would do it.)

Here's the major plots and sub-plots that I see in the books.

DragonFlight
Main Plot - Thread, preparing for its return
Sub Plot - Dealing with the holders
Romance - F'lar and Lessa (and their dragons)

DragonQuest
Main Plot - Dealing with the Old-Timers
Sub Plot - Grubs? and Fire Lizards
Romance - F'nor and Brekke

White Dragon
Main Plot - Finding AIVAS.
Sub Plot - Dealing with Toric
Romance - Jaxom and Sharra

Movie 1: DragonFlight
Luckily for PERN fans, it seems that DragonFlight would make a pretty good self-contained book. The main thing that I could see the filmmakers wanting to do is to change the PoV of the book. The way that I read DF, it is from the point of view of Lessa. I could see them changing the PoV to Robinton if they get a name actor to play him. Of course, if you want to play up the romance between F'lar and Lessa, then you leave the PoV as from Lessa. But I probably would add some more Robinton appearances, such as the F'lar/Fax fight, which we find out in MHoP that Robinton was at anyways.

Movie 2: DragonQuest
There are some problems with the other books being made into a movie. There doesn't seem to be enough action in DragonQuest. How to solve this. Move parts of TWD into the second movie. I would want to completely resolve the Oldtimers issue in the second movie. That would mean moving Jaxom and Ruth recovering the stolen egg, and the second F'lar/T'ron fight into the second movie. I might also play with time a little, and have Jaxom and Robinton having their ailments and recovering together. Of course, for a second movie, you might just show their ailments, and save their recovering for the third movie. I'd probably also use material from the DragonSong trilogy in this movie.

Movie 3: The White Dragon
Now, the problem with moving some of the action from TWD to DQ is now there is not enough action in TWD. How is this solved? We incoporate AtWoP into the third movie. I think this would also give a more satisfactory and complete ending to most movie goers. How better to end a PERN trilogy than to have the DragonRiders ending the threat of Thread forever. This would also give a bittersweet ending, as we would see Robinton and AIVAS dying together. But the added subplot of dissatisfaction with new technology could be added to this movie.

Part of the reason why I would do it this way is that DragonQuest and The White Dragon don't really have a big climax. It also leaves a lot of questions open. If the producers decide to do 4 movies, then it would make more sense to leave the books pretty much as they are. If only 3 movies, and if you've seen movie series lately, with the exception of HP, they can't seem to keep it together for more than 3 movies. This way movies 2 & 3 end with big climaxes (F'lar/T'ron fight to put an end to the oldtimers business and Ending the threat of thread on PERN permanently). I really feel that the movie series, whether 3 or 4 movies should end with AIVAS helping the people of PERN destroy Thread forever. So the number of movies really does determine how to split up the books.

Ok, I know how some people feel about PERN. I am donning a Dragon's Breath Resistant Rider's outfit, so that I can await your criticism.
GHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29 2007, 04:24 PM   #2
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Default Re: How would you break up the books?

I think that for producers, committing straight away to a 3 or 4 part series for an unknown quantity is a risky business. Look at how well the Matrix performed, and the countless sequels were straight-to-video.

If the first movie performed as well as or better than they hoped *then* they would commission a sequel or 2 so the first film would have to be both self-contained AND have enough of a hook for people to want a 2nd or 3rd part.
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2007, 05:11 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

If Copperheart does make the Dragonrider movie I'm not expecting a series. TV would be different but for the big screen I suppose one movie is to be expected.

Hence I don't think they will go into the whole AIVAS thing as that would open up the history and that would be too much for one film.

So, I think the prepairing for Thread, Lessa's ride, battling the old enemy, Oldtimer trouble and maybe the theft of the queen egg would be plots galore for a movie. This will also ensure that Pern fans will probably not be very happy with a movie because you can't put three books worth pf material into one movie properly. So, how it is received depends hugely on the technical quality of the movie and the actors and actresses.
If they are going to write in romance I feel they might be capitalizing on the bitch Kylara who has a fling with F'lar and they might expand on the F'nor-Kylara thing and the jealousy Kylara has for Brekke, ending in Wirenth's disaster mating flight. That kind of little love-hate-jealous-violence circle would be enticing to many script-writers/producers, I think.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2007, 06:27 AM   #4
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

If you were going to do a 3 part movie, Dragonflight on it's own, then Dragonquest (with parts of The White Dragon/Dragonsinger thrown in) then The White Dragon (with Dragonsong and Dragondrums thrown in for good measure). The 6 books combined would give enough info to keep us diehards happy as well as introduce newbies to the fold. That's just me though as the 6 books are more or less around the same time frame where as everything else is before (like Dragonsdawn/Moreta) or after (Dolphins of Pern).......

A thought came up, "Masterharper of Pern" would also fit in well with the 6 books already mentioned as that describes in part with "Dragonflight:
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2007, 10:43 AM   #5
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
If Copperheart does make the Dragonrider movie I'm not expecting a series. TV would be different but for the big screen I suppose one movie is to be expected.

Hence I don't think they will go into the whole AIVAS thing as that would open up the history and that would be too much for one film.

So, I think the prepairing for Thread, Lessa's ride, battling the old enemy, Oldtimer trouble and maybe the theft of the queen egg would be plots galore for a movie. This will also ensure that Pern fans will probably not be very happy with a movie because you can't put three books worth pf material into one movie properly. So, how it is received depends hugely on the technical quality of the movie and the actors and actresses.
If they are going to write in romance I feel they might be capitalizing on the bitch Kylara who has a fling with F'lar and they might expand on the F'nor-Kylara thing and the jealousy Kylara has for Brekke, ending in Wirenth's disaster mating flight. That kind of little love-hate-jealous-violence circle would be enticing to many script-writers/producers, I think.
I'm hoping that the first movie will just be DragonFlight.

You have the following action sequences:

Fax attacking Ruatha (maybe as a nightmare flashback that Lessa has, and then wakes up to him coming again, you could also somehow have Lessa feeling uneasy both times to foreshadow the multiple Lessas we find out about in the future).

F'lar/Fax fight.

Fight (or lack thereof) between the Lord Holders and the DragonRiders.

Mating Flight.

Some thread fighting (to show how dangerous it is)

Lessa's trip back in time and back to the present.

View of all the Weyrs flying over Ruatha. (Or more dramatic, but not as accurate to the book, would be to have F'lar fighting thread while worried about Lessa, having his wings chewed up by Thread, and having the other wings appear just as the situation is really deteriorating.)

Less action, but still imporant scenes:

R'gul and S'lel teaching Lessa, and her wanting F'lar to teach her.
Scenes between Lessa and Manora.
F'lar teaching Lessa to fly between.
F'nor's reappearances in the present (and the whold Kylara sent to the past sub-plot)
Question Song

Also, the ending of DragonFlight is a good climatic ending showing that PERN will be OK, and that Lessa's trip back in time did save the day (at least, temporarily).

And I agree that you do not want to introduce AIVAS in the first film. I'd even want to wait until a third movie to introduce it, and really hammer home that the people on PERN actually came from earth.

And Hans, I thought I was being ambitious by cramming part of the TWD into DragonQuest. You want to put all of DF, DQ, and parts of TWD into the first movie. That's more ambitious than I was being.

It's the endings of DragonQuest and The White Dragon that I think are a little anti-climatic, and that they could use a boost from the other books.

GH
Old Nov 30 2007, 10:49 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Just being realistic, GH, just being realistic

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2007, 01:27 PM   #7
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Just being realistic, GH, just being realistic
The reason why I like DF by its own, is that it gives Copperheart some choices.

It looks to me like it would make a pretty good self-contained movie. Has a good plot, nice romance, good bit of action scenes.

Then, Copperheart could wait to see how it does. If it bombs, then they don't do another movie. If it does well, then they have parts 2 and 3 of a trilogy that they could film back to back.

I was also trying to see the story from a non-PERN fan's point of view. Solving the problem in DF is a pretty good story by itself, and it has a satisfactory ending.

GH
Old Dec 2 2007, 01:00 AM   #8
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

If they cram 3 books into one movie I have no hope at all for it. It will be absolute crap. You CAN'T do justice to the books at all that way, and it will be terribly rushed, even non-fans would notice the breakneck speed. Each book will have to have significant cuts even with each having its own movie. All three in ONE? There will be virtually nothing left but the bare bones.

Dragonflight is a very self-contained book and perfectly suited to a movie, it's one of the shorter books too, which helps. I REALLY hope it's a movie all on its own.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2007, 12:27 PM   #9
GHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
If they cram 3 books into one movie I have no hope at all for it. It will be absolute crap. You CAN'T do justice to the books at all that way, and it will be terribly rushed, even non-fans would notice the breakneck speed. Each book will have to have significant cuts even with each having its own movie. All three in ONE? There will be virtually nothing left but the bare bones.

Dragonflight is a very self-contained book and perfectly suited to a movie, it's one of the shorter books too, which helps. I REALLY hope it's a movie all on its own.
1. I only wanted to put, at most, 1.5 books in each movie. Hans was the one that wanted to cram the first 2.5 books into the first movie.
2. I agree about DF.
3. I think they could pause to see how the DF movie goes, then they could decide how many more movies they want to do in the PERN series. If they want to do 3 more, then DQ, TWD, ATWoP could each make a movie. If they only want to do 2 more than DQ-TWD F'lar/T'ron fight and Robinton's heart attack would make a good 2nd movie, and the rest of TWD/ATWoP would make a good 3rd movie.
4. If they make more movies than just DF, then ending the series with the end of Thread would make a good ending.

GH