A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Jan 24 2009, 04:22 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default C.J. Cherryh

I recently bought three paperbacks by C.J. Cherryh at a bookfair. I have never read anything by here before. The only thing I know is that she was Miste Lackey's mentor.

What do the readers here think of her writings?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30 2009, 10:27 PM   #2
tatiana
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: A Storm of Swords
Default Re: C.J. Cherryh

Some of her books I really like because of the strong character development as well as the plausible science (or different kind of take on fantasy), others are a bit too rambling for me or just don't really grab my attention. I started reading her books about 20 years ago when I was in high school, mostly by picking them up from the public library, so it's been awhile since I've read most of them. In any case, these are the ones I do remember, some more than others:

- The Morgaine Series
- The Faded Sun Trilogy (especially enjoyed these and have re-read them a few times)
- Arafel trilogy
- Company Wars
- The Chanur Books (first couple of books were the best, and then the rest not so)
- Age of Exploration (I especially liked "Cuckoo's Egg)
- The Foreigner books (I liked the first couple, and then stopped reading them)
- The Gene Wars (OK -- I liked the science in them, but don't recall much about the individual characters)
- Serpent's Reach (loved this one, and still re-read it once in awhile)
- Forty Thousand in Gehenna (interesting)
- Rider at the Gate (interesting)
- Fortress Series (I remember that I liked the first one, and I've got it on my mental list to pick up other books in the series one day so I can do a reading marathon, heh)

Here's a listing of her books with covers:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/c-j-cherryh/
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Thanks Tatiana

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 1 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I remember trying to read her in high school, and not getting too far in whatever book I grabbed from my dad's shelf. There were too many alien words and concepts that weren't explained or obvious from context, and I just couldn't follow what was going on well enough.

But I'm open to giving her another try some day. Do post a review once you've read something, Hans!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2009, 12:20 PM   #5
murphy
Eskay

I've just finished a reread of Cyteen in preparation for reading the sequel, Pregenisis. She is one of my favorite authors and I'll read almost anything she writes. I think the exception was Faery in Shadow which I couldn't get into, although I tried about three times. At the moment I'm on a reread of Book 9 of the Foreigner series, because book 10 comes out in April. She deals with humans meeting aliens very well.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9 2009, 09:41 PM   #6
proserpine
Soul-Eaters

Fan of: Moreta

I have to second the recommendation of the Faded Sun trilogy, they are quite good. She really does a good job of creating an alien psyche in it. I also read Cyteen in high school and enjoyed it, though I had a tough time getting into the Chanur saga and in the end gave up on that one. The Dreaming Tree was pretty decent too, but I think she's better at SF than fantasy, so I wouldn't rank it as the best.
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26 2009, 10:25 PM   #7
murphy
Eskay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I recently bought three paperbacks by C.J. Cherryh at a bookfair. I have never read anything by here before. The only thing I know is that she was Miste Lackey's mentor.

What do the readers here think of her writings?

Which books did you buy? And what did you think of them?
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27 2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Three from the Fortress series, haven't read them yet. I've still got stacks to read.

Old Mar 9 2009, 12:03 AM   #9
ElectricDragon
Weyrlingmaster

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

I recommend the Morgaine Angharin books. Cherryh created truly the ultimate and most hideous weapon ever in Changeling. Easily my favorite from her.

I also recommend the Feochaddan (Arafel) books, the second of which is titled The Tree of Swords and Jewels (and Michael Whelan's cover is fantastic). The first is The Dreamstone.

Downbelow Station is a masterpiece.

The Chanur books are interesting.

I found Cyteen dry and uninteresting, rather like when David Brin's Brightness Reef. It was a disappointment after Downbelow Station, as Brin's second trilogy disappointed after the first three Uplift books.

Cherryh, Brin, Azimov and Clarke all share a fault in sometimes spending rather too much time on the technology and the details and not enough on the story.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18 2009, 12:15 AM   #10
jellygirl
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: none

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone knows if C.J Cherryh is writing more books in the gene war series. I want to know what happens to Procyon.
Thanks!
jellygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2009, 01:48 AM   #11
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

I read Cyteen about a year and a half ago...and I don't think I quite followed it right. I'm about 40 pages into Downbelow Station now and feel like I'm missing something also. Am I reading this wrong?
kindan is offline   Reply With Quote