A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Mar 21 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Fan of: The Ship Series
Now Reading: Dragonheart, baby!
Pern Fanfic - Part One - Leontin's Search (inc. feedback)

So here I am posting again! I don't think that you all need much background on this one, but for ease of placing it in your minds, it's set late 1st Interval, before the events of RSR/DE.

It's due to be written in four parts, so be on the look out for them!

Anyway, it's all posted in this one post, so feel free to add feedback. You can be as fierce as you like!

Part One – Leontin's Search

“Shaddon, you're not listening to me.” Glass Smith Tragor passed a wide-palmed hand over his florid face, as much in frustration as in deference to the heat in the great workshop. “I'm not at all saying Leontin is a bad worker – quite the opposite in fact. All the other smiths say he has potential. What he lacks is application.” He flicked his gaze from the wiry and belligerent man angrily staring him down to his son stood a few paces behind and to one side. Even during this confrontation, Tragor noted, he had an air of ... distance. Nothing so practised or purposeful as insolence, the boy just seemed to be lost inside his own head. He sighed.

Leontin watched as his father stuck out his jaw even further, ground his teeth and settled his fists on his hips, not wanting to hear Tragor's words. “My son is not stupid. I can't understand why, again, you didn't promote him.”

Tragor sighed again. “I'm not going to stand here repeating myself, Shaddon. I told Leo, and I've already told you. It's not lack of smarts or ability that's kept him back. He can't concentrate long enough. I'm still feeling the heat from the Hold about that case of drinking glasses he smashed -” he held up his hand to forestall the interruption before it came “- despite the fact it wasn't on purpose. They were a wedding gift for the Lord's favourite niece, you know what that means, Shaddon. I'm sorry. I really am. I'd like to be able to advance him and move him away from carting the sand, but until something changes -” he shrugged “- I really can't. I'm sorry, Shaddon, but I have work to do.” He looked behind Shaddon and his son, down into the Hall. “Molstoy!” The bellow brought Leontin back to his surroundings, and the look on his father's face told him everything he needed to know as the Glass Smith barged passed them and down to the unfortunate Molstoy.

Leo's eyes focussed on his father as he walked in a tight circle for a moment before striding to him and jabbing a bony forefinger into his broad chest – one benefit from carting sand at least.

“You .... I never wanted anything grand from you, boy. A secure job that kept marks in your pocket and a good woman in your bed and land around you.” He watched as the characteristic sneer polluted his father's face. “You can't even manage that, can you? Do you know how many acres Aanor's father was willing to give us for the match? His daughter and my son ... my only son.” Each sentence was punctuated by increasingly savage jabs with the finger, pushing Leontin back until he had reached Tragor's workbench.

“Father, I ...”

“Save it. Shaffit, Leo, it's bad enough you can't make it past senior apprentice at your age, do you want to be nothing but some perverted drudge the rest of your sharding life, or maybe you want to go and become some dragon's weyr-bait, huh?”

“Aanor .... she .... I couldn't ....”

“I know what you could, Leo, and I don't want to even begin to think about it. You sicken me, Leo. My son.”

“Shaddon!” Tragor's shout broke into the air. “I could do with your help here.”
Leo looked in the direction of Tragor and the tableau of him and a couple of the larger glass makers stood at ease but watchful nonetheless, and something inside him eased. His father had taken note, too, as with one last contemptuous glare he stomped off, leaving Leontin alone with his thoughts.

He knew that land acres were valuable, and he knew that Aanor's additions would have benefited his father – and him he supposed – but ... but what was the use of a marriage union he knew would be doomed to failure and only create an unhappy wife and a dissatisfied husband? He liked Aanor. She was pretty and had made him laugh, but the extra something was missing. He had thought he had been discreet about finding out where the extra something might lie, but despite it's bustle, Southern Boll was nowhere near the size of Fort and people talked.

“Leontin!” Molstoy's voice momentarily grabbed his attention. “It's not a restday you know. Come and help me move these crates, and by the Egg, be careful for once, eh?”

“Uh, sure.” He gave a wry smile, grateful enough to not get sent back to the sand pits and the endless shovelling, and followed him to the stack of crates that held various glasswares ready to be carted to the harbour and then sent on their way across the continent. Leontin had received basic schooling, as had been the case for all children, and had been educated on the geography of the North. From here in Southern Boll a vast mountain range stretched north, passed Fort Hold and the Weyr, and then into the snowy wastes of the Barrier Range. He was unlikely to even get as far as Fort, let alone clear across to the great plains of Telgar or even to Benden. He was beholden to Southern Boll. Boll-holden.

What must it be like to be part of the Weyr? A dragonrider free to wheel and soar in the great sky above the land. What must Southern Boll look like from above? How low before you could discern individuals in a crowd, and how low before you could pick out a particular form you recognised as a person? But to have a dragon under you! He gulped as his mind soared aloft with the imaginary riders – almost feeling the wind buffeting his wings, caressing his skin, brushing his soul. Not that he had ever seen a real dragon close up, but he had seen flights overhead from Fort, and news always trickled down when a Hatching was due, especially if there was a queen egg on the sands.

As if his thoughts had called them into being, a trio of dragons appeared almost directly overhead. At first only vague shapes high in the air, they soon began to soar lower and lower, and it was clear to Leontin that they were going to land in the Great Courtyard outside the Hold proper. If he hurried he might be able to catch a glimpse of them up close. There weren't that many crates left to shift, and everyone would be too busy talking about the riders to notice if he was missing. He gave a little hop-skip and ran back to the stack of crates.

He didn't see whatever it was that wrenched his leading right leg to one side. He didn't remember falling, or notice the world going black. The next thing he did remember was bumping gently back into consciousness. Something in his mind flickered and withdrew, it's touch as gentle as a breeze. He didn't know if he had imagined it, and the next second he didn't much care.

“-ntin .... can you hear me? Leontin?”

Leontin flicked his eyes open into a stranger's face. He'd never seen it around the Glasshall before. Perhaps he was a visitor come to trade something. His eyes, to Leontin, seemed to contain something more than any others he had ever looked into. Nor had he ever seen green eyes before. Plenty of Bollese had brown eyes, some even blue. But not green. Something seemed to flash and shimmer beneath the surface, like fish in a pond. The green eyes stood out in a face that had a strange tan pattern on it – white around the eyes and lower jaw, the forehead and cheeks the brown that spoke of year-round exposure to the elements. The face itself was wide and clear, the brow uncreased. It was topped by hair of an indeterminable colour, cut so short to the scalp that it seemed almost grey, but could be black, brown or even blond. A smile pulled the lips up to one side.

“Lamioth says he's back with us, Tragor. Nothing more serious than a bump, isn't that right?”

Whilst the stranger had spoken that sentence to Master Tragor, Leontin had been silently taking in the other perceptions his body was relaying to his brain. He was laying on a couch in Tragor's private office. His right hip and thigh ached abominably, his arms felt jarred, and his head had started to throb. The stranger was knelt in front of him, one hand on Leontin's shoulder and the other on his thigh. He wondered who Lamioth was and where he'd gone to. How did he know he was awake?

He allowed his eyes to flicker once more around the room, over the pensive face of Tragor, and back to the stranger. He was older than Leontin by a long way, but he wasn't as old as Tragor. He looked ... Leontin didn't know the correct word, but he recognised a weariness combined with strength. Again something flashed in his green eyes.

“Ah. I feel that I may have found what I have been Searching for.”

“Leontin? Really?”

“Lamioth seems to think so, and I've never been led astray by him before.”

“I dare say you haven't, bluerider.”

Bluerider! Leontin flashed back to the stranger. A dragonrider had been looking for him! Lamioth ..... Lamioth must be his dragon! He struggled to sit up, suddenly ashamed to look so lazy in front of someone who had sworn to protect Pern!

The stranger laughed and pushed back down. “Steady, lad. Your head should still be ringing. Lamioth said you'd gone half way between.” At Leontin's careful nod, he continued. “You really didn't need to throw yourself at me in quite so dramatic a way, lad. We would've found you eventually.”

Leontin started to speak. “I .... I was helping Molstoy move the crates, and I .... I saw ...” He gulped and looked back at the stranger – the rider. “I don't know what happened. What did I break this time?”

Tragor laughed gently. “Nothing, lad, absolutely nothing. Luckily T'karn here heard your shout and ran over and brought you here.”

“Th-thank you, rider.”

T'karn clapped him on the shoulder. “Call me T'karn. If you can stand to stand then I'd like you to meet Lamioth. He's outside.”

Leontin moved slowly and sat up. Tragor coughed and held up one hand.

“T'karn, may I have just a moment with Leontin, please?”

T'karn nodded. “Of course. I'll just be outside.”

Once it was just the pair of them in the room, Tragor joined Leontin on the couch and patted his arm gently.

“Leontin, lad, you do know why T'karn's here today, don't you?”

“I thought that they were here on Search? Isn't there a clutch at the Weyr?”

“Mmm. You're of age now, lad, that you'll be wanting to start making decisions for yourself, and make decisions about your life that are for you and you alone. When you get those chances, Leontin, don't be rash. Make the choice that is best for you.” He touched his finger to Leontin's chest for a moment. “I don't think that your future lies with us here. I don't think your future is made of glass.”

Leontin watched as Tragor scrubbed his face with his hands, wondering why he was telling him this and what it was that he was trying to say.

“Tragor, I don't want to keep the rider waiting.”

“Of course, lad.” He sighed. “Come on then.”

Once back in the Hall, and supported on one side by T'karn's strong arm, he peered down to the open double doors at the opposite end. There he could see a bulky shape silhouetted by the sun. A head moved and he could here a snuffling noise. Again something flickered over the surface of his mind.

“He's eager to meet you!”

Leontin felt colour flush to his cheeks as he and the rider walked down the hall and passed the Glasscrafters. Not more than an hour previously they had heard him being chewed out by his father, and here he was walking with a dragonrider! His eyes flicked over the assembled faces.

“He left, Leontin.”

Tragor's voice was gentle, stopping short of apologetic, and yet somehow sad. Another two steps and Leontin was out and stood in front of T'karn's dragon! He gasped as it – he – lowered his head and turned one eye to him, the swirls of colour whirling gently. He felt a pressure on his chest as the great snout pushed gently against him. The breeze swept his mind, untouchable in it's speed and gentleness.

“He likes you.”

“Really?” Leontin couldn't believe it! First he was rescued by the rider who was still holding him across the shoulders and now here he was in front of his dragon who liked him! “Thank you. I think you're Lamioth. I'm Leontin.” He leaned back into T'karn's arm and body.

Suddenly the great head reared back and swung round in an arc before returning to curve down in front of T'karn, who smiled like a child and put his free hand up and placed it, fingers outspread, on the broad expanse between the knobs above his eyes. Was Lamioth what he had seen in T'karn's eyes?

“Leontin -” he paused as he turned to look at the younger man face to face “- Leontin, Lamioth and I believe that you may just have what it takes to stand on the Hatching Grounds at Fort Weyr. I formally give this notification to you. I can't force you to come, and you don't have to. It's up to you.”

Was this why T'karn had been looking for him? No, his exact word was Searching. Search! He gasped again as it sank in fully. Lamioth liked him.

“I ..... but .... I have to ...... but ..... my father .....”

“Leontin. You don't need his permission. You're old enough to make all of your own decisions.”

Something in his voice made Leontin turn and look. Tragor nodded. “I whole-heartedly agree with Rider T'karn and fully give my complete backing to you going to the Weyr to stand. If I may be so bold, Rider T'karn, I should like to advise that, if it were possible, you take Leontin when you return. I can send on his belongings without any problem.” He nodded in the direction of the assembled smiths and the young apprentices.

T'karn grinned at the sturdy Glass Smith before smiling at Leontin at his side. “The eggs are advanced, and if you're to know all you need to know before the Hatching I think that today would be best. If you want, that is.”

“Go, lad.” Tragor put his large hand on Leontin's shoulder and gripped it tight. “Go and be what you can be. Go and be what some of us never could be.”

Leontin felt his hand cup the back of his head and he lifted his face to his Master's. Their eyes met as Tragor nodded slowly and smiled.

“Go.”

With that the Glassmaster sighed, dropped his arm and his gaze, turned and walked slowly back into his Hall, gathering the other crafters ahead of him. Leontin turned to look at the neutral face on the man stood next to him, but didn't trust his voice.

T'karn nodded. “I'd take that as all the permission necessary, if I were you. So what's it to be?” He folded his arms across his chest and watched as Leontin's eyes flicked to his upper arms and back to his face.

“I ... of course ... I can't ....” He stopped as his eyes suddenly filled with tears. Could it really be this easy? Do people just arrive in your life and hold out their hand with the promise of a new life somewhere different, somewhere new and extraordinary? Did the dragon that looked to T'karn truly think that there was something so singular and special inside of him that he might succeed on the Grounds at Fort? Was this to be the start of the rest of his life in a Weyr?

He roamed his eyes over his surroundings – Southern Boll had been his home for his entire life. Could he trade this familiar Hold for an entire planet and the chance of that most intimate and complete pairing of a great dragon? The tiniest ghost of a sensation rippled through his mind, colouring it with hope.

His eyes travelled back to T'karn's and, matching T'karn's grin, he spoke one word.

“Yes.”

Last edited by Gidget2; Mar 21 2008 at 03:34 PM.
Gidget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2008, 03:36 PM   #2
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line
Default Re: Pern Fanfic - Part One - Leontin's Search (inc. feedback)

Old Mar 21 2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

LOL Thanks Kevia.
Old Mar 21 2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Brenda

Are you sure you don't want a separate thread for feedback? A host could move these few posts, and then you can put all four sections up in this one thread.

Anyway - well done! Just one thing to consider - I'm not sure they would take him back with them right away, since he obviously just had a head injury. They might leave him there and come back in a few days.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Are you sure you don't want a separate thread for feedback? A host could move these few posts, and then you can put all four sections up in this one thread.
Well, I don't know how long it'll be before I post the other 3 parts so I thought that it'd be easier to do it this way. Plus I can incorporate any feedback, comments and criticisms into the very final copy, which I'll post elsewhere and then link to from here.

Quote:
Anyway - well done! Just one thing to consider - I'm not sure they would take him back with them right away, since he obviously just had a head injury. They might leave him there and come back in a few days.
Thank you. You have a very good point about the head wound and between and such. So a big to me and a to you So, future readers, please note that I have taken that into consideration and will be changed!
Old Mar 21 2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Brenda

You could just have them say they'll be back in a few days!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2008, 02:39 AM   #7
R'na
Dragonrider

Fan of: dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Random Fanfiction
Brown Re: Pern Fanfic - Part One - Leontin's Search (inc. feedback)

Another great one Gidget2. Must have more suspense killing me. LOL

Happy Easter
Old Mar 25 2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

This is a marvelous story, and I am so glad to read that this is only the start of the story. I will be eagerly waiting, to read more of what happens to Leontin.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Jayru
Inactive

Location: A cozy house in the dales of Debyshire, in little old England
Fan of: The Pern Saga
Now Reading: No time to read, am writing!

"WHOOOOOOOO YEAH" (gidget will get the reference, LOL)

Fantastic beginning. Looking forward to the rest of this
Jayru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Thank you, R'na!

Thank you, Lady M!

Thank you very much, Jayru

Expect the next ghost when the bell tolls one ....... or ....... some point in the first 2 weeks or so of April!
Old Mar 27 2008, 02:03 PM   #11
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea
Blue Re: Pern Fanfic - Part One - Leontin's Search (inc. feedback)

I like this very much and am looking forward to your next installment.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2008, 02:04 PM   #12
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

LOL Thanks Brighid! If I knew everyone was going to be so good about it then I would've had Part Two closer to completion before posting!!!
Old Apr 4 2008, 09:54 PM   #13
Cynth
Inactive

Fan of: Planet Pirates
Now Reading: Alternative Care For Ruminants - Dr. Dettloff

Geesh Gidget! I'm telling you, you gotta get the rest posted asap! I wanna know what happens next! LOL
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5 2008, 05:35 AM   #14
Gidget2
Brainship
Courier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
Geesh Gidget! I'm telling you, you gotta get the rest posted asap! I wanna know what happens next! LOL
I'm getting there!!
Old Apr 7 2008, 01:52 PM   #15
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

Me Too!! I Want To Know What Happens!
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote