A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Mar 24 2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Diversity of Dragons UK and Us editions

Recently I was lucky enough to be able to find and then buy myself a signed UK edition of Diversity of Dragons. For several years I have had a US edition of this book, but it wasn't until I had them both that I realized that there were several small differences in them...and knowing how everyone here is so interested in even the smallest of differences in the books, I thought I would share my lovely new find with you.

Here is the first one of the covers

This is both the US and the UK covers together.

This is the backs of both notice the difference in the wording on the backs of both. Here is the US writing on the back of the book...

Here is my new one from the UK...

This is a picture of the Spine ends of both...not to much differenc here.

This is the title page in the new UK editon...

Last but by no means least...here is the US title page...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle

Last edited by Cheryl; Mar 24 2007 at 09:12 AM. Reason: fixed one image link
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Diversity of Dragons UK and Us editions

It would seem most of the differences are simply to change the publishers name/logo, which is not surprising. But the change to the text on the back is notable especially as the bios on the back are the same. It makes it seem as if summary text crafted by the first publisher was found to be unacceptable by the second!

I'm also curious about the block section around the Richard Woods signature, it seems quite odd!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2007, 12:40 PM   #3
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

The Block looking part around Richard Woods signature is tape. and not a book plate of some kind like you would think...I don't know why it's there but that is the way that it was when I recieved it....strange!!!

I want to re-read the book now and see what other differences there might be on the inside text...like there is on the back cover.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Mar 24 2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Now seems a good time to share a special treat with you: the original design concept (I think ther very first) for the cover of this book with Anne's name as McCaffery and with the name of a Dennis Berg as co-illustrator (I can't find anything about him on the internet; maybe John Howe could furnish more information). In the left marin you can see the note in which the current title is mentioned instead of the simpler title of "Dragons" on the design.

I also visited John's website again. Wow, that has been improved and it was already beautiful to begin with some years ago. The blurb about this book is much more extended than what I wrote when I did the Collecting Highlight on this book, John writes:

Quote:
I quite enjoyed doing this book, one of the best parts being to actually go and meet Anne McCaffrey in Ireland. The illustrations were good fun to do, of course, though very hard to actually fit in the book.
To my regret, I was unable to work larger than the print size, as there was (so I was told) a problem scanning larger pieces. Nonetheless, I cranked out dozens and dozens of illustrations and the book was published.
Alas, it's one of those rotten situations where I never got a penny for it. (Well, not quite true, I did get a bit of advance money on royalties, and I was promised a contract) Unfortunately Bellew Publishing, who edited the book (it was actually published by a handful of other editors: Casterman for the French edition, Harper for another, Simon and Shuster I think for the UK) managed to go bankrupt and disappear from the face of he earth (and Clapham South) before I actually saw any royalties or the balance of my advance. Naturally, I have recuperated the rights, but at the time, I would have preferred a bit of cash... I wonder if Anne got any.
Never a boring moment in an illustrator's life, that's for certain.
Most of the illustration John did for the book are now available for browsing on his website! Click here and enter "diversity" in the search box.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Oh, very neat, Hans!
Old Mar 25 2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

I was lucky enough to sit next to Richard Woods at Anne's birthday party last year He's a charming man, and was kind enough to promise to send me a bookplate to put in my Diversity of Dragons - and considerate enough to follow up on his promise
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2007, 07:56 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hans, I had forgotten that you had already put up a "Highlight" thread covering the Diversity of Dragons...or I would have just added this on to the bottom of that thread. Perhaps you or Cheryl can hopefully add this thread to it somehow?
That pencil drawing is marvelous to get a look at...kind of shows you what happens with book covers and where the process starts...and what it finally ends up looking like.

Old Mar 30 2007, 11:35 PM   #8
Spaceman Spiff
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Ah, thanks for the link to John Howe's site! I don't have the book yet, so it's great to see some of the pictures
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote