A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jul 23 2013, 08:52 AM   #1
lippy
Muskie

Fan of: Pern
Default Next Pern book?

Hey, guys - I'm a first-time poster and not-that-frequent lurker. Does anyone know if there's any new Pern fiction in the pipeline? Thanks, in advance.
lippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2013, 11:01 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Next Pern book?

Well: nothing new by Anne (unless she's got a ghost writer ). Todd's got a new one on the go somewhen.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
lippy
Muskie

Haha, for Anne I would have maybe hoped for something posthumous like a long lost manuscript or After the Fall, or something. But yeah, I was thinking more of Todd. Any port in a storm, you know.

So, anyone know anything about what he's working on? I was under the impression that Sky Dragons was the end of the line for that set of stories and really haven't turned up much that indicates he's planning any new Pern fiction at all. I'd love to be wrong.
Old Jul 23 2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

You can forget about after the fall, I fervently hope so. The story was bad, the plot was awful.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2013, 05:11 PM   #5
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

What Hans said
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2013, 06:06 AM   #6
lippy
Muskie

Well, every book can't be Dragonflight, right?

My limited/lazy research was leading to me the conclusion that the series looks like it's just about run its course, and I suppose that's what I'm hearing here. Too bad, but I guess that's life. Thanks for your replies.
Old Jul 24 2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

As long as the publishers are willing to pay Todd for writing Pern books, he will do so, I suppose. It's a living, not a hobby

And since the concensus seems to be that none of the persons allowed to write in Ninth Pass Pern will do so you could say that the DRoP TOS has ended, lippy. So in a way, you are absolutely right and I, for one, think that is a good thing.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2013, 02:56 PM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

On one site a new book by Todd was mentioned, NOT a Pern book. I think it takes place in a place where everything runs on steam.

I on the Mysticcon, http://mysticon-va.com/, has just released his science-thriller, City of Angels, and is revising The Steam Walker, an alternate history steam world where Bonnie Prince Charlie captures London and restores the Stuarts to the thrones of England and Scotland.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24 2013, 03:45 PM   #9
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
On one site a new book by Todd was mentioned, NOT a Pern book. I think it takes place in a place where everything runs on steam.

I on the Mysticcon, http://mysticon-va.com/, has just released his science-thriller, City of Angels, and is revising The Steam Walker, an alternate history steam world where Bonnie Prince Charlie captures London and restores the Stuarts to the thrones of England and Scotland.
So here's my pretty up to the date knowledge:
- Coming out in a week or so is Dragonwriter, essays about the life of Anne McCaffrey as well as Pern and how its work impacted people's lives. It's good stuff. Link here: http://www.amazon.com/Dragonwriter-T...s=dragonwriter
- After The Fall did have a first draft complete. Anyone who's seen it is in agreement that it's not up to standards enough where it's even salvageable for publication. It's unlikely this will ever see the light of day.
- Gigi, Anne's daughter is also permitted to work on Pern. Several years ago, she had an idea for a Menolly based story which Todd really thought was awesome. She has yet to write it, and it's not necessarily going to happen.
- Todd is on a break from Pern right now. He wants to write his own stuff (which is much better than his Pern stuff, I might add! there's a lot of passion there, and each subsequent story is better than the last). I theorize that this is so he can be his own writer and not just "The guy who kept Anne McCaffrey's brand going" for the rest of his life, a noble cause. Not to say he won't write Pern in the future, as Hans said, it's a business, but he's definitely going for his own ideas. He's got a ton of ideas, a very scientific mind, and a lot of them are really good.
- Right now Todd's released:
1. a collection, "The One Tree of Luna", of various shorts he's done over the years (Cover art by my good friend C.B. Zane who is an awesome comic artist but I'll save that for a different plug...) which you can find here: http://www.amazon.com/The-One-Tree-O...e+tree+of+luna
2. the aforementioned City of Angels, which is a wonderful book. I recommend this first and foremost. It's a really fast paced read, and is much more a mainstream thriller type with sci-fi sprinkled in than a full sci-fi. http://www.amazon.com/City-Angels-To...todd+mccaffrey

Both are also available in e-book form as well.

Steamwalker, to my knowledge, Todd is still working on. As a big steam punk fan myself, I'm looking forward to it.

Todd as always will be appearing at Dragon*Con. He's slated to be Guest of Honor at RustyCon in Seattle at the beginning of next year and I believe another convention in VA has him as guest of honor in Feb-March sometime 2014.
Old Jul 24 2013, 07:29 PM   #10
lippy
Muskie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindan View Post
...<snip>...
That is an extremely helpful post, kindan - exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!