A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Oct 15 2009, 05:13 AM   #1
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Macedonia & Cathay

I'm working on a map of Pern, and I was wondering how to draw up the southern continent, (The maps in the books fail to show exactly how many holds have popped up down south.) and I got stuck with a border, namely that of Lord Toric.
Southern's borders differ from book to book, with the earlier ones stating that Toric holds from the stake of Dorado to the Black Rock River, with Araby, Kahrain & Jordan belonging to Dragonriders. Then, in Dolphins, they stop him at the border of Macedonia. So, who is in control of Macedonia and Cathay? We know that they propose placing a weyr there (Xanadu), so it must be a separate region. Any thoughts?
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17 2009, 05:04 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Macedonia & Cathay

I don't think that in the 9th pass anybody is holding in Macedonia or Cathay (yet). They're just limiting Toric's land grab.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2013, 04:51 AM   #3
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!
Default Re: Macedonia & Cathay

Urgh, very old post, but I finally answered my question (sort of) while re-reading the Ninth Pass books again.

In The White Dragon, F'lar and Lessa come up with the idea of claiming a good deal of the south for dragonriders, so they won't have to worry about tithes after the Ninth Pass ends. After Cove Hold is built, they decide to claim all lands east of the "black rock river" (aka Rubicon River) for dragonriders, while leaving the west to holders. When Landing is discovered, it is treated as what can be thought of as a sort of exclave, since it's meant to be available to everyone. Finally, Toric is granted lordship of the lands he's managed to hold by this point, which we're told is "...from sea to Western Range to the Great Bay..." but no eastern border is given.

This is where the DLG gets it wrong; it assumes that Toric's borders extend all the way to the "black rock river". We know this is wrong, because it's a major plot point in Dolphins of Pern that Toric's trying to expand his borders past the Island/Boca River. So I guess the answer is that the land looks to nobody, but that's evidently not an issue.

It would also seem the original idea of holders in the west and dragonriders in the east isn't being as strongly enforced as it was going to be, and this is probably to do with the growth of Paradise River and Jordan Province after AIVAS was rediscovered. Since Benden Weyr still controls who gets to come south, though, they're probably still designating good land to dragonriders...it's just not clear where (although when one considers how large the southern continent is compared to the northern continent, it's clear there'll be plenty of space for dragonrider settlers). Of course, with the impending end of Thread and the need to integrate dragonriders into other areas of work, it's likely that it's not so crucial that dragonrider and holder lands be kept separate from one another.

Anyway, the concept of Minor Holds looking to Major Holds might not be needed anymore; perhaps settlers will just be granted good lands and be beholden to themselves, as their distant ancestors were before Thread fell on Pern.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote