A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Aug 1 2008, 04:18 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (70) - Nerilka's Story audiobook

My very first Collecting Highlight was done on the abridged audio book of All The Weyrs of Pern by the Publishing Mills. This audio book is read by Anne herself and every time I listen to the author herself reading the passage with the death of Robinton and hearing her voice break… I cry. It is very special to hear Anne herself tell the story. She has a very distinctive and unusual voice en timbre that will surprise many a fan who hasn’t heard Anne talk before.

Scan of the front of the slipcase with the Edwin Herder art

Audio books with Anne herself reading are rare. Besides the above mentioned AtWoP she only read part of the White Dragon (published on old fashioned vinyl record and cassette tape) and an abridged version of Nerilka’s Story. It’s this last set that this Collecting Highlight is about.

Like every Anne read audio book this one too, is rare and usually relatively expensive unless you are very lucky. The book with this story was first published by Ballentines in 1986 and the Science Fiction Bookclub picked it up in the same year. It was three years after the hugely successful Moreta and fans were clamouring for more, more! The audio book was published in 1986, too, by Random House, New York. Random House was the mother company of Ballentines/Del Rey at the time (I think it still is, the publishing world is a jungle of houses and imprints).

The Nerilka audio book contains two C90 cassettes with a total running time of 2 hours and 57 minutes. They are put in a cardboard slipcase which features the Edwin Herder cover art that was also used for the original Ballentines book. There is no statement of edition or printing on the box though it does give a 1986 copyright. It is known, however, that is was published in November 1986. The executive producer on this recording was Sherry Huber. The ISBN is 0-394-55817-0.

Slipcase, cassette and inlay of the cassette box

The original price was $14.95 but you are extremely lucky if you get a chance to buy it for that price now. At the moment I can’t find any listed on bookfinder.com and eBay doesn’t list one either… they don’t come by much. Despite it being relatively expensive when you do see them the two copies offered on Amazon are strongly overpriced $145 for a used/good and a new one respectively (new is arbitrary but I suppose it is in like new condition; but even then overpriced). It does give you an indication of the rarity of this item though.

Despite being not as emotional (for me) as the two AtWoP tapes it is very, very nice to hear Anne herself tell the wonderful, diary like story of Nerilka, in my honest opinion one of her best stories. And if you get the chance of buying this tape for a price you want to pay for it my advice is: go for it, it’ll be worth it!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Sep 26 2008 at 04:07 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (70) - Nerilka's Story audiobook

Han I have hear he read par of rNerilka's Story. It must been very good tape, for somehow it when bad when I had it. I had to return it to my local libary.

All the Wyers of Pern I have not her her.

There was an inter-libary loan call An Address with Anne McCaffrey. She was the gest speaker at a young adult gather the first SF writer to speak to them. She was talking about her books and the news one at that time would be Dragonsdrums.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1 2008, 06:41 PM   #3
~(_'>

You can not trust that the tape you get will work either. I bought one "new" once. New 15 years later anyway. The first tape was warped. It had to have suffered heat damage. Figgers. I think I have managed to find a total of 4 of these over the years. The best ones are the ones someone else has listened, as I know those tapes work.

I remember the day I found Nerilka's Story at the Waldenbooks. I don't think I have ever snatched anything up so quickly. I even knew who Nerilka was without looking.

But then, I do love the back story.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1 2008, 08:36 PM   #4
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I don't have any of Anne's stories read by her. I have 5 (I think) of her stories read by others and generously given to me by Pat several years ago. I've heard Anne read at Dragon*Con and it's a real treat!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

The only audio thing I have of Pern is the 'White Dragon' vinyl, read by Anne. I was going to listen to it the once and then get the mp3 version, but our vinyl player has about 20 years worth of dust on it, and we're all too scared of cleaning it. xD

I'd like to get some of the audio stuffs in any case. Especially those read by Anne.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2 2008, 01:06 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Nice highlight Hans! It's always nice to hear about these sort of items. I love to hear Anne's voice too. I don't have a cassette player and should find one so I can hear these stories again. It's been too long since I've listened to them.
Old Aug 2 2008, 02:10 AM   #7
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

They are get sometime hard to find. Radio Shack I think still has a few. I need a new oen to respond on a class or two I taking.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 2 2008, 02:11 AM   #8
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I have a few too, Dick Hill is the reader.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 2 2008, 08:43 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I really should dig out my cassette player and listen to my copy sometime (and find out if it is indeed in good shape; JJmouse has me worried now)
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2 2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

Having been in the retail bsiness for this stuff (loooong ago) I know very well about what JJ informs us, and buying these on eBay has a risk yes.

I have been fortunate it seems, I own two of these cassette sets and they are both fine. I even recently listened to them while working out on the hometrainer

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3 2008, 12:00 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Very nice Highlight Hans.... It once again gives a collector every thing they need to know, so that they can go and find one for themselves, to add to their own collection.
I enjoy this cover especially the background...but...that isn't what Nerilka looks like in my mind...and I never read anything, anywhere about Llama's being on Pern, perhaps this is just another one of those cover artist that never got the chance to read the book, but I do love the hold look in the background.

I also have one of these...thanks to a heads up from a dear friend... at Cheryl.
It also plays quite nicely although the outside of the case was a bit beat up. Mine was a library copy so it was played some...but still has quite a bit of life left in it. Living in a very dry area, my tapes seem to have weathered quite nicely through the years, and I listen to them often while I draw. It really helps me to listen to the stories that involve the character that I'm drawing at the time...helps to keep my mind centered in the time and place, that Anne wrote them in.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote