A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall > Astronomy

Astronomy For the sharing of astronomical observations by our members with an interest, and pretty pictures for all to enjoy.

Old Aug 14 2008, 07:22 AM   #161
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen
Default Re: The VISTA Telescope Thread (VTT)

Ginnystar, yes I was thinking myself that the double doors could be used to admit a small dragon. But VISTA doesn't have any dragons to help out with the construction, so they have to make use of a crane instead. They've cleverly built it into the roof so that when the dome turns the crane turns as well.

Thanks Lady M for your compliment about my sunset photograph. I was in the right place at the right time (or should I say the wrong place - I should have been at work but I sneaked off to take the photograph).
Old Aug 14 2008, 08:47 AM   #162
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Of course I do! Just an Alzeimer's moment

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14 2008, 03:03 PM   #163
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Steven...then I am thrilled, that you are once again, proving to be so delightfully sneeky........

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Aug 19 2008 at 12:38 AM.
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18 2008, 01:00 AM   #164
Sandi

Steven, I'm glad you're safely home and reuinited with Lanen. Like Hans, I feel incredibly privledged! And as I think I said before, I agree that that sunset photo is really wonderful!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2008, 05:09 PM   #165
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Thanks Sandi.

I have a P.S. to add to this thread: I brought a portable disk back to the UK containing all the data files we had created during my visit to VISTA. Yesterday one of our optical engineers came to see me and asked if during my visit we had by any chance observed a bright star. He wanted to investigate the diffraction effects and scattered light seen when VISTA observes a bright star. Well, nobody else had thought to save an image of a bright star, but I happened to have a picture of ... Rukbat! So he is now carefully examining the picture of Rukbat for optical effects. Who would have thought my sneaked image of Rukbat would become one of the most useful data files I brought back with me?
Old Aug 22 2008, 06:49 PM   #166
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

COOL!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2008, 09:50 PM   #167
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
Thanks Sandi.

I have a P.S. to add to this thread: I brought a portable disk back to the UK containing all the data files we had created during my visit to VISTA. Yesterday one of our optical engineers came to see me and asked if during my visit we had by any chance observed a bright star. He wanted to investigate the diffraction effects and scattered light seen when VISTA observes a bright star. Well, nobody else had thought to save an image of a bright star, but I happened to have a picture of ... Rukbat! So he is now carefully examining the picture of Rukbat for optical effects. Who would have thought my sneaked image of Rukbat would become one of the most useful data files I brought back with me?
The word Kismet comes to mind.
Old Aug 23 2008, 12:18 AM   #168
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Actually, the words "jammy beggar" come to my mind!
Lanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2008, 02:43 AM   #169
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Karma rebounded, perhaps Lanen

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2008, 05:15 AM   #170
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

fantastic! Oh, isn't life FUN? (at times)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2008, 06:46 AM   #171
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Good Steven!

It shows once again that an interest only adds to the job (though we sometimes feel we have to sneak about) and it certainly gives an added dimension.

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2008, 11:52 AM   #172
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fantastic Steven, looks like you being be a tall sneeky devil has really paid off for more than just Anne and us...but now for others in the stargazing field as well. Good Going..........

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Aug 24 2008, 12:44 AM   #173
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Of course I do! Just an Alzeimer's moment
P'ter, I had a family member with Alzeimer, he pass away in 2006, he was a shell of himself. I feel sad for him, he is the one who home, which is now gone, it burnt to the ground a few weeks ago. lucky no none was hurt, people or animals.

He was finding it hard to try to explane himself, towards the end its sad he could not take care of himself. Not that I am yelling but I do miss him and his home which was a family built home.

Anyway I think Steve your sunset one would make a great background for a image or as wallpaper on a computer.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3 2008, 10:54 AM   #174
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

It's time to resurrect this ancient thread. You may be wondering why you haven't heard anything about the VISTA telescope in the press. It was officially handed over to ESO at the end of August and the telescope is going through its verification testing procedures. The "management" have decided to wait until VISTA starts actually generating scientific results before making a press release. It means there's a longer wait but VISTA looks better at the time. (Contrast that with the huge publicity surrounding the opening of the Large Hadron Collider - they got some fantastic press coverage but then suffered the embarrasment of having their every subsequent problem discussed in the press. I think the VISTA project is keeping its head down until it can present a "fait de complis" (or whatever that is in Spanish) to the public.

Anyway, the reason I have reopened this thread is that the "management" have decided to have a software blitz and send all their software engineers to the telescope for 2 glorious weeks of problem solving at the end of November 2008. So, even though my own software works, I'm going back there again to sort out everyone else's problems... .

I'll let you know how this extra session goes, although this time I probably won't take my camera with me. Last time Rukbat was well placed. This time I'm going to try and observe another famous object associated with Anne McCaffrey. Watch this space...
Old Nov 3 2008, 11:00 AM   #175
Hans
Master Archivist

I think I can guess, Steven

And eh... HADRON collider... is that where your lovely author wife got the name?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 3 2008, 01:16 PM   #176
Sandi

I'll be watching. But I still think you should take your camera!
Old Nov 3 2008, 02:19 PM   #177
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
It's time to resurrect this ancient thread. You may be wondering why you haven't heard anything about the VISTA telescope in the press. It was officially handed over to ESO at the end of August and the telescope is going through its verification testing procedures. The "management" have decided to wait until VISTA starts actually generating scientific results before making a press release. It means there's a longer wait but VISTA looks better at the time. (Contrast that with the huge publicity surrounding the opening of the Large Hadron Collider - they got some fantastic press coverage but then suffered the embarrasment of having their every subsequent problem discussed in the press. I think the VISTA project is keeping its head down until it can present a "fait de complis" (or whatever that is in Spanish) to the public.

Anyway, the reason I have reopened this thread is that the "management" have decided to have a software blitz and send all their software engineers to the telescope for 2 glorious weeks of problem solving at the end of November 2008. So, even though my own software works, I'm going back there again to sort out everyone else's problems... .

I'll let you know how this extra session goes, although this time I probably won't take my camera with me. Last time Rukbat was well placed. This time I'm going to try and observe another famous object associated with Anne McCaffrey. Watch this space...
I hope that the bugs are easily squashed and that the skies are gloriously clear!

(Still, its a bit more exotic than my uni based trip around then. I'm going to Belgium.)
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3 2008, 02:30 PM   #178
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Dear Steven,

Do bring your camera! Your photos were great!

Besides your troubleshooting for other people's mistakes, I do hope that you will have a good time out with the telescope and maybe less stressful than the last time. I am hoping for more sensible shifts for you.

Have a nice trip and come home safely!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5 2008, 07:33 PM   #179
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Heh - Hans, I do actually read a bit about physics and absorb a bit by osmosis, so I expect I'd heard my first husband, who was also an astronomer, talking about hadron particles. I daresay that's where it came from, though if I'd known I'd have changed it!
Old Nov 5 2008, 09:19 PM   #180
Sandi

Don't worry about it, Lanen. Things have strange ways of slipping into our subconciouses (subconciousi?). I know I've had a few chuckles over some of Anne's names as well.
Old Nov 6 2008, 02:48 AM   #181
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Yes, like Robinton's father: Petty Ron!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6 2008, 03:41 AM   #182
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
Heh - Hans, I do actually read a bit about physics and absorb a bit by osmosis, so I expect I'd heard my first husband, who was also an astronomer, talking about hadron particles. I daresay that's where it came from, though if I'd known I'd have changed it!
Oh but the name fits and has the correct sound, so to speak

Do you know who'se face and person I "attach" to that particular character of yours? James Cromwell's in his role as the farmer in Babe, the pig who wanted to be a sheepdog!

Old Nov 6 2008, 05:12 PM   #183
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Steven I need to agree with Sandi...you should still take
your camera with you...you do take some very interesting
photos on your adventures. Its also a lovely way to take us
all along with you...

Old Nov 6 2008, 06:35 PM   #184
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I third the request that you take your camera again. You need not take 3000 pictures, but we'd appreciate a few since the area you are going to is so beautiful and different from the norm of where most of us live.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6 2008, 06:38 PM   #185
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Sandi, Nina, Lady Maelin and Cheryl,

You're right. It was sharing photographs and stories on this thread that helped me through the previous visit. I will take a camera, but this time Lanen has offered me hers. It's smaller and lighter than my camera, and I need to cut down on the amount of weight I'm carrying. It has a really good zoom lens that will enable me to take some completely different pictures from last time.

One major difference from the last visit is that ESO are now managing VISTA as one of their telescopes, so I might now spend some time in the VLT (Very Large Telescope) control room (where VISTA is supposed to be controlled from) rather than the cramped VISTA room. The VLT control room is a lot more impressive. I might also get the opportunity to photograph the VLT telescopes themselves. We'll see how things go.

Nina, I expect the shifts will be just as gruelling as last time. (They're trying to cram an awful lot of work into 10 days after all.)

Has anyone seen Quantum of Solace? Some of the closing scenes in that movie were filmed in the residencia at Paranal. I went to see that film with Lanen, and she had to shut me up after I'd make exclamations like "oh look, it's the drive down to the kitchen and maintenance room" too many times. .

I'm leaving on 14th November, so I have a few days yet to prepare.
Old Nov 7 2008, 02:41 AM   #186
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

The VLT would be fun to see though.

Now I really do have to find a way to watch it
Old Nov 7 2008, 06:02 AM   #187
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Has anyone seen Quantum of Solace? Some of the closing scenes in that movie were filmed in the residencia at Paranal. I went to see that film with Lanen, and she had to shut me up after I'd make exclamations like "oh look, it's the drive down to the kitchen and maintenance room" too many times. .

didn't you also get funny looks from your fellow movieviewers?

Old Nov 7 2008, 09:14 AM   #188
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

I think Lanen shut me up before I got to the stage of annoying the other moviegoers.
Old Nov 7 2008, 10:42 AM   #189
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh I really will have to see that movie now...good luck on your upcoming trip. I hope it isn't to stressful on you this time and that your able to get more sleep. I am looking forward to those photos.

Good thing Lanen shushed you...you wouldn't want to be tossed out of a movie that some of your work was in.....................

Old Nov 8 2008, 10:41 AM   #190
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

The movie itself is only worth seeing if you like rapid fire action movies. It's fast moving from beginning to end - you hit the ground running and keep going... I found the filming style a bit frustrating - no scene lasted more than a few seconds before you were moved on to the next one. (I prefer masterful, sweeping landscape scenes, but they don't happen much in a James Bond movie.) I guess I'm showing my age.
Old Nov 10 2008, 08:18 AM   #191
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Well, that makes two of us, my dear! I got rather dizzy with all the short 'cuts', and it frustrated me that I couldn't see more than a small part of the scene at any time. Quite confusing for the aged!
Old Nov 10 2008, 10:53 AM   #192
Hans
Master Archivist

The Aged?! Hah! You can't maintain that excuse after hiking the Grand Canyon

Old Nov 10 2008, 03:01 PM   #193
Sandi

Well, maybe she can't but I can. I tend to lose interest in movies that jerk from one scene to another too quickly. After a while it starts feeling like a long line of commercials!
Old Nov 14 2008, 06:57 PM   #194
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Hear hear,Sandi! I don't feel aged, Hans, until I go to movies like that and realise that they have been made for folks with an average 5-second attention span. :p

In any case, all - Himself is away, left Paris about an hour and a half ago for Santiago. That means he's only got 12.5 hours left of that flight

Please send all prayers and good thoughts his way, my friends. The more the merrier!

Love, Lanen
Old Nov 14 2008, 07:12 PM   #195
Sandi

More than happy to, for both of you!
Old Nov 14 2008, 08:26 PM   #196
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Sure thing, Lanen!!
Old Nov 15 2008, 04:15 AM   #197
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
Hear hear,Sandi! I don't feel aged, Hans, until I go to movies like that and realise that they have been made for folks with an average 5-second attention span. :p

In any case, all - Himself is away, left Paris about an hour and a half ago for Santiago. That means he's only got 12.5 hours left of that flight

Please send all prayers and good thoughts his way, my friends. The more the merrier!

Love, Lanen
for both of you
Old Nov 15 2008, 04:17 AM   #198
Hans
Master Archivist

Sends up a merry prayer

Old Nov 15 2008, 04:16 PM   #199
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Thanks everyone. Greetings from Antofagasta! I am now safely installed in my hotel room, where I will rest for a couple of nights before making the trip up the mountain. The journey went better than expected, considering the Air France pilots strike which nearly scuppered it. Arriving at Antofagasta airport to discover I was stranded there with no transport wasn't fun, though. I had to ask someone at the airport information desk to call me a taxi, and even then it was an hour later before I finally escaped from that airport. But I'm safely in the hotel now and about to rest and recover from the jet lag.

Goodnight folks.
Old Nov 15 2008, 04:45 PM   #200
Hans
Master Archivist

A good and speedy recovery, Steven! Sleep well.