A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Oct 21 2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight - (61) Anne Inez McCaffrey 40 Years of Publishing - M Hargreaves

Most collectors are familiar with Anne Inez McCaffrey: 40 Years of Publishing - An International Bibliography by Mathew D Hargreaves. This wonderful hardcover bibliography was published by Mathew Hargreaves in 1992 in Seattle, WA. It was limited to 500 copies and each is signed by Mat and Anne. Original selling price was $35.00 and currently sells between $100 and $200. In many collecting posts here the book is simply called "Hargreaves".
There is also a small paperback followup titled 2 More Years of Publishing - A Bibliography of only US and UK Editions also by Mathew Hargreaves and published by Mat in August 1994, again in Seattle, WA. This little booklet was published in conjunction with the 1994 World Science Fiction Convention in Winnipeg, Canada with Anne as the Guest of Honor. It also states that is the only edition that will be printed. I do not know if they were only sold at the convention or if they were sold elsewhere, it doesn't say. There is no mention of original pricing for the followup and it is not marked with a price. I've not seen one for sale anywhere for quite a long time, but $50 is coming to mind as the last price I saw for a copy.

Anyone who is seriously considering collecting Anne's books should look for one of these to help with collecting. Mat has included every printing of Anne's books and short stories that he could find (up to publication) and I believe he said he had to see it before it would be included in the book. He not only includes the first edition printings of Anne's novels and short stories but all the later printings he could find. There are magazines, anthologies, foreign language editions, books on tape, interviews and even a listing of manuscripts and ideas that Anne has come up with for stories that haven't been published. This is where the Pern Portfolio is listed and started my search for that elusive item! And several other items that I just had to find and see for myself!
There are black and white 'thumbprint' photos of many items that will help you in your search. You will also find wonderful descriptions of the books and issue differences. One of the best examples of this is Dragondrums. There are three variations of the first edition and he describes them in great detail. (see Cheryl's Highlight on Dragondrums if you are interested in more info)
The small followup still includes the descriptions but it has fewer photos, but the ones it does have are in color.

In Robin Roberts biography of Anne, A Life With Dragons, Robin references Anne's school days at Radcliffe College. It is evidently a practice of Anne's to donate copies of her books to Radcliffe. She also donated a copy of the Hargreaves bibliography. With all the references to Radcliffe I remembered a certain book that I purchased.........

Back in 1999 I was doing a lot of book searching and found a private listing for sale of a copy of the Hargreaves bibliography and jumped at the chance to buy a copy! I contacted the seller asap and received a response saying that this was the copy donated by Anne to Radcliffe. I was SHOCKED! (pleasantly so......who wouldn't be?) I was afraid it might be a forgery of some kind but went ahead and purchased the book, the price was only $18 plus $4 postage, how could I turn it down???? At that point they were selling between $50 - $75. When I got the book I couldn't wait to open the package! Not only to actually own a Hargreaves, but to possibly have such a special copy of it! I open the book and sure enough there is an addition under Anne's signature....."Class of 1947".

Not only that but a copy of a letter from Radcliffe to Anne thanking her for donating the copy! It was very exciting and still is to tell the truth.

I also emailed Anne asking her to verify that she had donated it and told her that if she wanted it back I'd be happy to send it to her. She said she did indeed donate a copy and wasn't surprised to hear it had been put in a book sale. She thanked me for the kind offer to send it back but that I should keep it as I'd appreciate it much more. And I do!
Old Oct 22 2007, 02:49 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Collecting Highlight - (61) Anne Inez McCaffrey 40 Years of Publishing - M Hargreaves

What a great highlight, Becky. It's (they are) indeed invauable to the real collector, and to have such a special copy, wonderful

I have actually seen some very recently, two of which on eBay. They both didn't sell and were respectively offered for $150 and $99. This last figure is a very good price for this book.
Bookfinder gives 6 returns with prices varying from $102 to $132, but those include shipping (the eBay prices don't) with one out-of-order-price of $221.

I have the feeling this book is actually has become a little cheaper over the last few years, although you paying $50 for one is ridiculously cheap (but it couldn't happen to a nicer collector)

I've seen the additional, stapled volume a few months ago on eBay for $40 and $25 respectively. The cheaper one sold, the more expensive one did not.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
~(_'>

Default Re: Collecting Highlight - (61) Anne Inez McCaffrey 40 Years of Publishing - M Hargreaves

I have never seen the two year copy go for less that $25 on ebay. The regular book sells, or did sell, from the publisher for $99. The lowest I have seen that one go for on ebay is $50.

The book is great for realizing that what you just found on ebay or elsewhere is a pretty rare item to own. One of only 100?? And I got it for, like, a quarter?? Too cool. Only 500 of them ever published?? And I have one?? Excellent. Gotta love it.

I think its a shame that Radicliff sold the one that Anne sent to them.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22 2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

I fully agree with you JJ, on all counts

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 22 2007, 11:24 PM   #5
Becky
Coelura

I was so very very shocked to find it and that's why I was so skeptical when I saw it. I thought for sure it had to be a forgery but it wasn't. I thought to that maybe it was 'lifted' from the library, but there are no library type markings in the book whatsoever. So it must have just been put away and then when they had their clearout it got picked up by a student. And then I got lucky and found it!
Old Oct 22 2007, 11:44 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Wonderful Highlight as usual Becky .... I think this is one of the best collectors aides for all those who are serious about Anne's books. Good idea that, of showing the *Two more years of Publishing* pamphlet book, it give everyone that is looking for one a clear idea of what it looks like.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24 2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Thank you, Maelin! I wish I had more info on the booklet, but couldn't find anything more than what they've been selling for on eBay. And there's nothing included in the booklet itself.
Old Oct 24 2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Well, special about the booklet is that is has a few pages with color illustrations of covers (while the "motherbook" only has tiny black & white illustrations)
And of course, it's only UK and US editions but that's clearly stated on the cover.

Old Oct 24 2007, 11:07 PM   #9
Becky
Coelura

Oops, should have added to my prior comment - nothing more than what I already mentioned that was in the booklet. Thanks Hans....
Old Oct 26 2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

It is a shame that the Hargraves doesn't have any color photos in it...but then it would have cost even more money than it already does....sigh!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Oct 26 2007, 10:30 PM   #11
Becky
Coelura

Very true, Maelin! I would have loved to see the cover of the Pern Portfolio in color. But then it was a really pleasant surprise to see it when I got my copy finally.
But the pics in the hardcover do leave some details out. And the pictures in the booklet are larger than the ones in the hardcover too so you do get more detail. I think the booklet was a quickly done thing, just to have something 'special' for Anne being guest of honor at the con.
Old Oct 26 2007, 10:38 PM   #12
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

You guys are really going to have to stop doing these things...-Wants one-

>.<

It looks really interesting. So inside, is the format basically just your bog-standard Bibliography? Or is it for collectors to note down what they have?
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2007, 09:12 AM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

There's room in the margins for notes, but it's written just as a bibliography. Should we scan a page or two of the inside to show off?

I still have a copy for sale, for $90...
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Sandi

Becky, I'm glad you rescued this wonderful treasure from the cold, uncaring denizens of the University. It was apparently in desperate need of a loving home and it's wonderful that it found one!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27 2007, 12:23 PM   #15
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, It just doesn't seem right to put notes or marks in the margins of my Hargraves.... ................ To me its a true collectible, as Anne, has signed them after all....

Sara, If you want to mark up a bibliography...go and get the *Galactic Central*one it cries out to marked in... and it has most all of Anne's items in it....no pictures though!!! Get two like a lot of us did, one to mark all up...and the other to keep nice for our collections.

Old Oct 27 2007, 01:10 PM   #16
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post

Sara, If you want to mark up a bibliography...go and get the *Galactic Central*one it cries out to marked in... and it has most all of Anne's items in it....no pictures though!!! Get two like a lot of us did, one to mark all up...and the other to keep nice for our collections.
T'was just a question about the layout, is all...I already have two copies of Becky's collectors guide. One to keep pristine and the other one that I write in. ^^
Old Oct 27 2007, 04:45 PM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

My Hargreaves will be very extra special and unique because of my writing, notes and crosses in it. It will belong WITH my collection, whereever that goes after I'm gone.

Old Oct 27 2007, 06:59 PM   #18
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
My Hargreaves will be very extra special and unique because of my writing, notes and crosses in it. It will belong WITH my collection, whereever that goes after I'm gone.
My friends find it odd, but I much prefer an inscribed book to a normal one. Gives the book character and history.
Old Oct 27 2007, 08:03 PM   #19
Becky
Coelura

I actually have two copies of this too. The one from Radcliff and another which I did start marking in before I did my Collector's Guide. I've never got back and erased my light pencil marks but probably will at some point. Tho the second one has been well used by me, not only for research for my Guide but also when I hear about something in this forum. I'll run grab my Hargreaves and look something up.
I really need to run thru the Gallactic Central copy and find any 'new' magazine articles that might be out there that I've missed. Thanks for the reminder Maelin!
Old Oct 28 2007, 11:53 AM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

For much of my collection I tremendously enjoy the the inscribed book...the one with something written in it from previous owners, the more the merrier.

It's just I had never thought/considered doing that to my Hargraves .

I will admit, that I would love to own one that did have notes on th pages, especially one that notes in it about the progress of the previous owner, in finding certain books, magizines or interesting papers that Anne had written.
Perhaps I sould reconsider, my thoughts about this book, and my very personal copy of it. It certainly isn't going anywhere, at least not until I'm well gone from this world.....................

Old Oct 29 2007, 05:55 AM   #21
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

1st of all, Cheryl, how would I find you on ebay or whichever site you've put it on or have you sold it already? Green with envy and would like to know if possible.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29 2007, 09:46 AM   #22
Becky
Coelura

Jube, your best bet is to just PM her and ask.
Old Oct 30 2007, 08:12 AM   #23
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I haven't posted it for sale anywhere but here Jube. But another member has already expressed interest; if she changes her mind you're next on the list now.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote