A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Freedom

Old Dec 17 2004, 06:01 PM   #1
Sandi

Default Cattenni without Eosi?

Now, I'm assuming that anyone reading this forum loves Zainal and what he and his friends did to free his people from the Evil Eosi. That said, the Cattenni were created by the Eosi, much as the Pernese Dragons were created by Humans. The two sides of the coin of genetic manipulation, as Anne has presented them to us, have always fascinated me. Dragons, we understand, cannot live without humans. They were carefully engineered to be totally dependant in that way. It doesn't appear that the Eosi made the same stipulations in the Cattenni gene pool but can we be sure? The Cattenni were created from a very low life form and maintained and managed by the Eosi for centuries. I can't help wondering whether they will be able to sustain their race without whatever it was that the Eosi did with that head thing. Will they continue to progress or slide backwards towards Rassi standards?
Sandi is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2004, 09:34 PM   #2
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: Cattenni without Eosi?

I think as long as the Cattani don't get lazy..and they don't seem to be a lazy race... that they won't regress. They may have to scramble a bit, to get accustomed to a life without the Elosi in it, but I think they'll do fine.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 05:08 AM   #3
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

So far they've been fulfilling the Eosi agenda. Now they can start to deal with the rest of the universe on their own terms. It's going to take some time and a lot of convincing to make everyone understand that the Emassi were only following the Eosi's orders, not acting on their own. Of course, if humanity's any guide, many of them no doubt also enjoyed subjugating other races. I can see an interesting plot here, a sort of "civil war" between those Catteni who still want to dominate, and those who want to give the rest of the universe their planets back.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 10:55 AM   #4
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi
I can't help wondering whether they will be able to sustain their race without whatever it was that the Eosi did with that head thing.
I can't recall...did the treatment have to be done on every individual Catteni to increase their intelligence, or was it passed on to offspring once it was done to an individual? That's what would really determine sustainability. Once their intelligence is at the higher level, the Catteni clearly don't need the relationship with Eosi to survive - Zainal's done just fine without them his whole life afterall!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 12:35 PM   #5
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
I can't recall...did the treatment have to be done on every individual Catteni to increase their intelligence, or was it passed on to offspring once it was done to an individual? That's what would really determine sustainability. Once their intelligence is at the higher level, the Catteni clearly don't need the relationship with Eosi to survive - Zainal's done just fine without them his whole life afterall!

That's one thing I recall.. NO, the head device wasn't used on the offspring of Cattani, not even on those earmarked for Eosi "takeover". So, once the smarts are introduced to a family line, unless it's bred out by taking up with a Rassi constantly.
Old Dec 18 2004, 04:36 PM   #6
Vilkacis
Inactive

And they definately don't seem to be keen on the Rassi - not that I can blame them since they are now so far ahead of them in evolutionary terms albeit by unnatural means.

However, Catteni women don't sound like much fun. They could end up with a whole load of other problems if more of the Emassi males start liking the idea of women who can think for themselves!
Vilkacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 06:44 PM   #7
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

Perhaps they will also start thinking for themselves its a catchy notion - you know what happend when we started letting women vote
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2004, 08:56 PM   #8
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lea O-G
Perhaps they will also start thinking for themselves its a catchy notion - you know what happend when we started letting women vote

"Letting" women vote? As I recall, the woman had to fight tooth and nail in most states! (Wyoming being the only exception I can think of at the moment)

The thing is, the women probably DO think...younger ones,especially. They just get conditioned to follow the male lead after years of putting up with the same spiel of "Big Macho Male take care of Fragile Female" Yeah, right!
Old Dec 19 2004, 11:03 PM   #9
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
"Letting" women vote? As I recall, the woman had to fight tooth and nail in most states! (Wyoming being the only exception I can think of at the moment)

The thing is, the women probably DO think...younger ones,especially. They just get conditioned to follow the male lead after years of putting up with the same spiel of "Big Macho Male take care of Fragile Female" Yeah, right!
Well you might recall the "MEN" had to vote to give women the vote and we did... though it did take quite a bit of heavy duty persuading.. mind you I am all for it.
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2005, 02:14 PM   #10
bamsdragon
Loo Cow

Cool Re: Cattenni without Eosi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lea O-G
Well you might recall the "MEN" had to vote to give women the vote and we did... though it did take quite a bit of heavy duty persuading.. mind you I am all for it.
HEhe.. yeah... Think of all those NON-meals they would of had to do without.. cold empty beds and dirty clothes they'd have to wear if they hadn't of voted to allow their women to vote....
bamsdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21 2005, 05:53 PM   #11
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamsdragon
HEhe.. yeah... Think of all those NON-meals they would of had to do without.. cold empty beds and dirty clothes they'd have to wear if they hadn't of voted to allow their women to vote....
Might I suggest you watch a movie called "Iron Jawed Angels".
Old Feb 3 2005, 10:29 AM   #12
Linmag
Glow

I don't think there's any danger of the Catteni regressing without the Eosi, but I would be very interested to see how their society will continue to develop without them. There are already signs of conflict among the new rulers, and they are an aggressive race by nature. Those who think like Zainal appear to be in a small minority, and I would not be surprised to see widespread civil war.
Linmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 01:27 PM   #13
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.

i think that there probably will be a civil war, just because the catteni are used to being ruled by fear, not by common sense. but i think that if they don't all kill eachother off (which is a possibility, but highly unlikely) they'll probably survive, and be a lot better off than before.

PS. they did use the head things on individual catteni-even zainal, but it was to test teir intellagence, not modify it. but smarts is passed down through the generations, even if some get it more than others.
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 05:19 PM   #14
Brenda

It's not just a testing tool. When the Eosi discovered the Catteni, they were all Rassi - basically dumb animals. They increased their intelligence, creating the Drassi and the more highly intelligent Emassi, and leaving some Rassi for heavy labor - and for food, as the Catteni on Catten appear to practice cannibalism.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2005, 09:25 AM   #15
Larra Dragonrider
I dropped. I stay.

ugh. cannibalism. i don't even wanna think of that.

could the eosi, when they gave the emassi thier higher intellegence, also given them some sort of powers that make the emassi easier to"inhabit?" could lack of these powers cause them to be rejected as hosts?
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2005, 10:25 AM   #16
Brenda

I think they simply needed a sufficiently intelligent being as their host, so made the Emassi more intelligent than the Drassi. It never mentions anyone being unsuitable as a host - but it would be an interesting short story or something - does the Eosi have to remain in the unsuitable Host's body until a suitable one can be found?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote