A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Sep 3 2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Brown Collecting Highlight (28) - Dragonquest (UK 1st Hardcover)

Dragonquest is the second novel about Pern, telling the tale of the after-effects of the missing Weyrs that Lessa brought forward in time and how they adjusted -- or didn't -- to life 400 Turns in their future.

This book first saw print in May 1971 in the US, but was not printed in the UK until 1973, after even the first French and German editions came out. It was released as a hardcover by Rapp and Whiting in London, for 2.50 . There is no cover artist, as the cover is photographic rather than a drawing, but the cover designer is listed as Beverley Lebarrow.

This book bears a notable place in Anne's publishing history, for her reaction to the cover. She reportedly threw a fit over the cover, bearing a slightly blurry photo of a naked woman kneeling on a Chinese-style dragon, and ever afterwards has had the right to veto covers written into her UK book contracts. I'm not sure about the UK, but in the US this is a very hard concession to get; luckily the US covers have never shown quite such poor taste as to have really needed an authorial veto. Anne also reportedly will rip up this cover whenever she sees it; I don't know the truth to this, but I would suggest not presenting a copy to her for signing to find out!

This is a fairly rare edition of the book, and rather pricey especially as it was the first English-language hardcover edition (the French edition that preceded it was also hardcover). Currently I can find three copies of the book for sale online, with a poor condition ex-library copy listed around $80 and two fairly good non-ex-lib copies for $500-700.

I have the luck to own a copy, thanks to Anneli who found it for me before she started more seriously collecting herself. It's an ex-lib copy, and like the one currently available online it's in poor condition and has had the dust jacket cut and laminated to the book (thus making it hard for Anne to destroy, at least!). Despite the truly atrocious cover (what the heck was Beverley thinking when s/he picked it out!), this book definitely has a special place in my collection for its rarity and the after-story of the book cover.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4 2006, 01:29 PM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (28) - Dragonquest (UK 1st Hardcover)

I suppose it was meant to be tittylating?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4 2006, 05:12 PM   #3
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

what were they on more likely?
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5 2006, 04:16 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Finally got the time to upload the picture that refutes the story of Anne ripping up all covers of this book

The first picture below is of the Rapp & Whiting Dragonquest copy from Anne's own library, taken by yours truely in August 2006.

The second picture, taken on the same occasion, has the two Dragonquest editions brotherly beside each other. The US one seems to be even more rare to behold and handle than the UK counterpart!

OK, you can stop drooling now

Take it from me, there is NO ripping up of books at Dragonhold

Pictures copyright Hans van der Boom

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5 2006, 06:03 PM   #5
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5 2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

C_ris, don't drool on the picture of the nekkid girl!
Old Sep 5 2006, 07:26 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

He's not: he's drooling over that sylph like dragon.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Sep 5 2006, 08:38 PM   #8
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The US one seems to be even more rare to behold and handle than the UK counterpart!
Really?! I have that one, though not in quite as good condition.
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2006, 02:39 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

prices start at several hundred dollars even for ex library editions, Spiff

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Sep 6 2006, 05:34 AM   #10
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

just thought. would this veto possibly be why the uk and US editions of TWD hb are the same?
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2006, 09:21 AM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

I think Edith, but I'm not 100% sure, that that was because the publishers were genuinely impressed with Whelan's cover. But who knows, you might be right

Anne always has added to that, that the cover itself was a great help to sell the book (in other words:it sold itself because of how good it looked) and helped the book to achieve the #1 bestseller status (NYT list) [first SF novel by a woman which did that]

Old Sep 6 2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Cheryl and Hans... this was very interesting to read about the book and Anne's reaction to the cover of it. The pictures of Anne's books are really nice to see Hans, especially the way that you were able to get them... YOU LUCKY GUY !!! I don't own one of these, and am likely not to at the going prices of them these days...LOL !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2006, 12:02 PM   #13
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
C_ris, don't drool on the picture of the nekkid girl!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2006, 05:11 AM   #14
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
prices start at several hundred dollars even for ex library editions, Spiff
Bloody hell! And I got it for a couple bucks at the used book store! Shame it had green marker written on the inside of the color that shows through to the front. But I'm still very proud to know I own a Pern book so rare!
Old Sep 9 2006, 05:14 AM   #15
Spaceman Spiff

Wow, somebody can get a great deal with it on Ebay, in great condition too! http://cgi.ebay.com/ANNE-McCAFFREY-D...ayphotohosting
Old Sep 9 2006, 06:04 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Spiff? I think the one you posted a link to is a regular mass market paperback (the description also says softcover) - the seller never says it is the hardcover with dustjacket and besides, compare the picture I posted of the hardcover and the ebay one and you'll see that they are different (although the same artwork is used).
For an mmp the price is high, though if it is indeed in fine/new state, maybe the price is justified.

If I was a very suspicious person I would almost hazard that the picture is manipulated to make it look like a hardcover

Old Sep 9 2006, 03:12 PM   #17
Spaceman Spiff

Oh, HARDCOVER! *blushes profusely* Ok nevermind, I don't have it after all then
Old Sep 16 2006, 02:55 PM   #18
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Quote:
Spiff? I think the one you posted a link to is a regular mass market paperback (the description also says softcover) - the seller never says it is the hardcover with dustjacket and besides, compare the picture I posted of the hardcover and the ebay one and you'll see that they are different (although the same artwork is used).
For an mmp the price is high, though if it is indeed in fine/new state, maybe the price is justified.

If I was a very suspicious person I would almost hazard that the picture is manipulated to make it look like a hardcover
As someone who takes pictures and sells books on Ebay every week - I don't find this picture to look at all manipulated. Looks like a paperback to me. *shrugs*

Sometimes when you take pictures, if the angle is just right, they can look like hardbacks.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16 2006, 03:25 PM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

*shrug*

Mine never do. Of course, that's totally beside the point because I always describe what I sell in a good, clear way.

Old Nov 14 2008, 04:05 PM   #20
Larry
Glow

Fan of: Menolly

Nothing like jumping into a thread 2 years late.......

I purchased a copy of this book a few years ago, and it is probably the most valuable book of hers that I own. It is in near perfect condition. But it was not signed when I bought it, so I took it to the Worlcon in Los Angeles to get it signed. Now, obviously I had not read the critically important information at the beginning of this thread - namely that Anne hated this cover. So, I wait in line, ignorant to my potential impending doom. As I got 1 person away from Anne, a helper was taking the books and preparing them for her to sign. When the person saw the cover, they literally ripped it off (to my horror!) and handed me back the coverless book. At my shocked expression, she whispered that Anne would rip the cover up if she saw it.

Now, the person that saved me from myself may be one of you on the board (I would not be surprised in the least, as the best fans are here). So if you are, thank you. I managed to get the book signed, and avoided having her get upset with me, which would have been mortifying.

Keep the great insights coming, and another poor soul may be saved!

Thanks,
Larry
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14 2008, 04:10 PM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Larry, if this is an example of your contributions to these threads, please, Do go right ahead and jump in!

I don't know if Anne would have done it. It was also said she very much disliked her first published story, Freedom of the Race (see one of my Highlights) but I personally handed over my copy to be signed and she leafed throgh if to the right page and signed it there without so much of a harrumph and that was at her own kitche table so she didn't need to watch her behaviour or language

Have you read my post #4 in this thread? If Anne had ripped up all the covers she would certainly have done so with the one in her own library, right? But you got the book signed and that's the important bit and you have an anecdote to boot!

Old Nov 14 2008, 07:22 PM   #22
Larry
Glow

Hans,

Perhaps I was being a bit melodramatic about it, but I just remember being very surprised and then a bit worried. I have only met Anne a few times (at signings) so I do not know her very well. Glad to hear that she would not have been too concerned.

Thanks,
Larry
Old Nov 14 2008, 08:25 PM   #23
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I think I would have been pretty angry at someone mangling a book I took the trouble to bring to a signing. You say they "ripped" the cover off? Does that mean they literally tore the paper so that the cover was useless? I'm not a serious collector, but I do know that covers mean a lot to those who do collect. Just curious.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15 2008, 01:22 AM   #24
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

To suggest an answer to Cheryl's question in #1: perhaps Beverly was the model.

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 15 2008, 07:45 AM   #25
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Hmm, too bad the anecdote about Anne ripping this particular cover isn't confirmed, but then it's good that you still have the cover Larry!

Perhaps it is just a rumor that was started because an over-zealous handler feared Anne would destroy that particular cover?
Old Nov 15 2008, 01:15 PM   #26
Larry
Glow

Priscilla,

Fortunately the cover was protected by mylar, so it did not sustain any damage. Given that the cover is hard to find in such good shape, any potentially rough/fast handling was worrisome at the time. I was probably seeing the situation through a slightly jaundiced view, as I tend to really be careful (paranoid?) in my handling of the more rare books. Bottom line, Anne kindly signed it, and it sits proudly on my shelf (top shelf, cover not showing - I have 4 kids!).
Old Nov 15 2008, 01:33 PM   #27
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Ah, that cover! I still laugh whenever I see it (I've been chuckling quite a bit the last couple days reading over this thread!). It makes you wonder if the person who 'designed' that cover was on something! Obviously they didn't read the book or think that a person (much less a woman) would be freezing during flight on a dragon! Thank goodness Anne accounted for that and put sensible flying gear on her riders, well other than Moreta's flight on Ramoth to shock the Lord's Holder. Still Moreta DID have clothing on even on that low flight!

I'm glad to hear your cover didn't suffer and you had it protected, Larry! Neat story tho. But I'm sure at the time you were very upset about the whole thing. I know I would have been!
Old Nov 15 2008, 03:42 PM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

But there are so MANY covers with naked or nearly naked dragonriders, wel... only queenriders/weyrwomen of course

Larry! Top shelf, four kids... you make it sound like pornograpy!

It is pernography!

Old Nov 15 2008, 04:52 PM   #29
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Perhaps 'Hardcover' = 'Harcore'?

I'm not going to duck and run: I've done quite enough of that recently.

C. S. Lewis

Old Nov 15 2008, 11:29 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Larry...you were at Worldcon...to bad we all didn't meet you there, that would have been lovely. Glad to hear your cover was saved...distroying that nice of one would have been a true shame
I know that one of Anne's helpers at Worldcon was Leah [don't know if it's proper to give her last name...but many of us know who I'm talking about], she was also the one handing Anne the books from fans in line to be signed...at least while we were all there with our books...perhaps it was her that saved your cover. She would know about Anne's dislike, she's been a friend for a very long time.
P.S. Hans...funny you should mention that first short story *Freedom of the Race*..that is the one that I had Anne sign that day...and she laughed when she saw it, and signed it...and then ask me what I thought of it...I told her I really enjoyed it!!! I always remember that conversation, whenever I look at the lavendar sparkle ink that she signed it in....

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote