A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old May 21 2006, 07:38 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (18) - Menolly's Sea Songs

An easy-to-write-up Collecting Highlight this time, with low quality pics but nonetheless a real collectible. The reason that I can be fast with this collectible is that I can hardly find any data or information about it. This posting hopefully might change that as there might be several people among you that own one of these
The fact remains that I found not even one copy offered for sale on the internet and not even more than one or two relevant mentionings. One of these last was the M. Horvat Collection of fanzines (at Iowa State University) although technically Menolly's Sea Songs is not a fanzine The Horvat collection is the very same Becky (Coelura1) recently came up with as one of the places where some of the Crystal Singer fanzines reside.

Anyway, Hargreaves (chapter on secondary material; page 292) says this "publication" is a joint collaboration by Anne McCaffrey (words) and the reknowed filk artist Joanne Forman (music).
It is a prepublication of sheet music from 1983 that was to be later included in a booklet with somgs called Dragonsongbook (twelve pieces for flute, published in 1985; of which Hargreaves says that is has not appeared (which can't be true as it was published 1985 and his book covers publications up to the early nineties; but that's another collectible and must wait its turn)

The contents of Menolly's Sea Songs are sheet music and text to three songs: My Nightly Craft, The Fickle Wind and O Wide Sea. It was published by Performing Arts Press, Taos, in 1983. The original price was $2.00.
The fact they don't turn up much is due to the fact that the 7 pages were only produced in an edition of 200 copies...

The pictures aren't spectacular and actually this collectible isn't much to look at but as books or collectibles go (hey, I'm a cover art guy ), but it is a real collectible.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2006, 08:00 AM   #2
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (18) - Menolly's Sea Songs

Very nice! I wish I knew how to read music!
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2006, 01:51 PM   #3
~(_'>

Huh. Wel all this time, I have had it in my head that this is the song book I have, and it is not. And I was gonna offer to run copies too!

I have looked everywhere for it. Did not know that there were only 200 of them made.

I would have sworn I saw one on ebay, several years ago. Got out bid on it though.

The one I have is the Storyteller one.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

This is a wonderfull little bit of the treasures of Anne's writings. Thank you for putting this up for us to see. If not for you and Cheryl's highlights, I wouldn't have known what to go and hunt for, before I got a hold of my Hargreaves. So perhaps you should also consider this a source for Anne's Bibliography, list.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2006, 07:27 PM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Maelin, I agree that the collecting highlights are a good resource too.

I would love to own this item and have searched for it for years, to no avail. It's going to be a tuff one to find, if anyone finds it at all. I had actually wondered if this was actually done, but for knowing that Hargreaves didn't put anything in his book that he hadn't laid eyes on himself. Good to see it with my own eyes too.
Old May 22 2006, 01:47 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I love that Hans and Cheryl, explain so much on each item that they Highlight. I lets you see in depth what you want to perhaps go and find, or like you Becky, at least get a good look at it. Can you imagine a book filled with all of these, lovely highlights. Something to think about for a later time. PERHAPS !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Nov 14 2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

For the record: this item was offered for sale on eBay in November 2008 and sold for $73,51 ex postage (that's just over 10 dollars a page )

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 16 2008, 12:31 AM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW !!! Hans....Thats kind of expencive for sheet music....

P.S. Geeeeeeez, I would have paid that too....just for the two signatures...wink!!!

Old Nov 16 2008, 05:39 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Maelin, I don't think the one on eBay was signed. If it was the seller would undoubtdly have said so.

Old Nov 16 2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I don't think it's signed either.....but I'll let you know once it arrives!!