A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Freedom

Old Nov 24 2007, 08:33 PM   #1
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
The bubble

I have been wondering what the bubble was made off. A membrane of some sort, but what could it be?

Was the bubble controlled electronically by the orbiting divice to allow some space ships in and out and some not?

Somewhere it says approx. that the divice monitored and recorded the Eosi ship and noted that it was not allowed in again. Or do I remember wrong?

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2007, 09:01 AM   #2
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default Re: The bubble

I'm not a physics student...but I was under the impression that it could be like a sort of magnetic pulse? That'd account for why ships were able to get though some times and not others. (I think...) The satalite thing could just decide when to 'activate' it...

-Shrugs- I'll stop, because I'm probably talking complete rubbish. xD

But that was my idea, anyway.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Sandi

Well it must have some sort of physical properties because of the show it put on when it was deactivated. I never was sure whether it was controlled by the sattellite or just monitored by it. It seemed to have some sort of sensory attributes so that it could evaluate what approached it. When it recognized a vehicle as authorized it "popped" it through but still maintained resistance to anything else.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2007, 08:40 AM   #4
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I thought it was a regulated force field.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Brenda

Yes, I agree - I think it acted like a physical shield but it was made of energy, not matter.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote