A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Dec 2 2008, 10:52 PM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight (73) - The Year of the Lucy AND God In Popular Culture

A '2 fer'!!! I've chosen to do two books for this highlight as The Year of the Lucy is part of the focus of the book God In Popular Culture.

The Year of the Lucy is one of Anne's 'romance' novels. I enjoy reading all of Anne's works and hope that if you've never read one of her romances that you'll give this one a try.

The Year of the Lucy was first published in the US in 1986 by TOR in hard cover format with the paperback by TOR in 1987. The cover art is by Tm Galasinski. It was also published in the UK in paperback in 1987 by Corgi and the hard cover in 1988 by Inner Circle Press.

In 1986 there was a special edition done by Brandywyne Press. This edition is a run of 350 with blue suedel covered slip cases. These are signed and numbered on a tipped in page with a different dust jacket by Ned Dameron. There are also 18 unsigned copies bound in green leatherette cloth with silver lettering. (these were bound at Anne's request as gifts for friends) They have no dust jacket but were issued with a gray suedel cloth covered slipcase. I searched Bookfinder.com and found 4 of the 350 issue copies from $329 - $478 and there's actually one of the 18 issue copies for $953.50. The regular first editions are listed from $12 - $50. (these are US prices)

The Year of the Lucy is about Mirelle Martin who is a wife and mother in suburbia back in the early to mid 80's. She and her husband are having marital difficulties and her three children are getting on her nerves. She has always loved to sculpt but when she got married her talents were set aside, for the most part. She does not get along with her inlaws at all, mainly because her mother-in-law does not like the fact that Mirelle was born out of wedlock. Mirelle herself has not come to terms with this fact. Her best friend Lucy died 7 years earlier and as a tribute to her she decides to do a statue of Lucy and it is dubbed 'The Lucy'. The Lucy goes through an almost disastrous mishap, but it works out in the end.
A couple of chance meetings with the same man make for an interesting friendship between the two of them. Mirelle sculpts what she calls 'sick pigs' for her children when they are sick. This man gets his own sick pig when he too falls ill and Mirelle helps his recovery. Once you're well you are to destroy the sick pig.
With the help of her new found friends Mirelle is able to face the past, strengthen the present and set a course for the future. (Thank you, Mathewe Hargreaves!)
Anne's characters are as strong in The Year of the Lucy as in any of her Pern novels. Her story is well told, as usual. You will care about these characters as much as you care about a Pern character.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And the second part of this highlight is on the trade paperback by Andrew M. Greeley titled God In Popular Culture.
This book is only available in paperback format and was published by Thomas More Press in 1988. ISBN 0-88347-234-1

In this book Greeley is trying to develop a theology of popular culture, well as of the late 80's that is. Some may feel that twenty years would probably have caused his theology to change from the writing of this book. Maybe, maybe not. I won't get into all of his reasonings, that's for those who are interested to locate a copy of the book and review for themselves. Copies can be found on Bookfinder.com with pricing ranging from $6 to the top price of $102 for this paperback book.

Greeley's Table of Contents contain chapters titled -
Empirical Liturgy: The Search for Grace
Theology, Religious Imagination and Popular Culture
Romance: The Secular Scripture
In Defence of Comedy
TV: Cosby as Evangelist
Desperately Seeking Madonna
Fantasy: The Modern Fairy Story
Stephen King: Things That Go Bump In The Night
Film as Sacrament
Woody Allen: Romantic, Moralist, and Theologian
The Comics: Philosophy Arcade for Commuters
and the reason for my purchasing the book.....
Anne McCaffrey:"Romance" as Talent Use (pages 201 - 210)

If you're a fan of Pern and pooh pooh Anne's 'romance' novels as drivel let me give you an idea of what Greeley has to say about Anne as a 'romance' novelist......
He asked Harriet McDougal, editor-in-chief of Tor Books, why Anne used her real name on her romances. Her response was that Anne is the kind of woman who does not tolerate baloney. (and don't we know that to be true!) She also says Anne is as proud of her romances as her science fiction.
This was the response he wanted to hear. He was happy to hear that Anne was not ashamed of books like The Year of the Lucy and wouldn't use a pseudonym for fear of ridicule, as many other authors had done.
Greeley doesn't want "to defend the romance genre from criticism but to explore its central myth and examine a case in which the myth is skillfully presented - Anne McCaffrey's The Year of the Lucy, which is written with the same command of themes as her science fiction."

He says that "the thread that holds the story together is provided by the words of Lucy Farnol to Mirelle Martin: the parable of the talents is not only about money, it is about the special abilities each of us is given.
It is not an unusual exegesis of the Scriptures, though it is perhaps unusual in any contemporary novel to observe a scriptural text that explicitly quoted."

He goes on to say that Mirelle is afraid of her talents and if she can make peace with them then the demons without can easily be tamed. He also talks about women blaming their husband for their problems and that Anne says that "the problem, little lady, is not your husband. It's you. Blaming him is a dodge, a cop-out, an escape."

His conclusion is great......
"I conclude from The Year of the Lucy that, in the hands of a skilled storyteller with deep insight, the myths of the "romance" genre become powerful theological stories, stories that not only illumine new possibilities (which I have been insisting in this book is what stories are supposed to do) but impose a personal moral responsibility, a prophetic demand to seize the possibility." It does go on but I believe this part is the best kudo for Anne's storytelling abilities that I've ever read.

I hope that if you've never had the opportunity to read one of Anne's romance novels that these words will spark some interest and get you to the library or somewhere to find a copy to read. Not only The Year of the Lucy but any of Anne's romances. She's a fantastic storyteller no matter the genre!!
Old Dec 2 2008, 11:26 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (73) - The Year of the Lucy AND God In Popular Culture

Becky...this is a magnificent *Highlight*...with so many interesting things I hadn't read before.
I do own severl different versions of Year of the Lucy...but sadly none of the really rare ones, and I am ashamed to say this is one of Anne's romantic novels I haven't yet read. After this glowing Highlight...I know that I am going to have to...and as soon as possible.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (73) - The Year of the Lucy AND God In Popular Culture

Shock....Horror! You own copies of the book but have never read them???!?!

Seriously, I think you will enjoy the book, Maelin. Being an artist yourself you will have some insight that others of us don't and can relate to Mirelle in ways we can't. I hope you do read it soon and post your thoughts here.
Old Dec 3 2008, 03:15 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Maelin, Maelin, I thought you would have at least read Mirelle's story as she is a fellow artist... *shakes head*

Thanks for a great Highlight, Becky. I never even knew about the second book, and still do not understand how theology and/or God ties in with The Year of the Lucy but still, very nice to read

Thanks

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2008, 08:17 AM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

You haven't read it, *mouth wide open and drops to the floor*. Mind you, I haven't read it for awhile so I'll have to get back into it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sorry guys...but......I have been a little busy as of late. Besides... it takes me all but the whole year to get ready for the Quest ...unlike some of you Genius types that can chomp down all the books on the list, in a months time or less, as well as aceing it without breaking a sweat...
I do plan on reading it as soon as possible...but that might take a little while as I am brain deep in another project right now...ugg!!

Becky...as soon as I do get a chance to read it...I will certianly find this and make my post in here...I am really looking forward to it actually.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Dec 4 2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Take your time, my dear. It's there to be enjoyed We were just kidding, well I was, but... do put it on your reading list. I think you will be 'touched' by this book, maybe more so than us (not being artists).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5 2008, 12:00 AM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Dear Lady Maelin, please don't think anyone was pressuring you to read the book, it was all in fun! You will want to be sure there's enough time to savor this one. I really do think you'll enjoy the book and do look forward to your observations when you do finish it.
Old Dec 6 2008, 01:18 AM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oh noooooooooo, sorry.... I knew you were all teasing me...I meant to be joking back at cha as well...we just missed our marks.
I never feel presured about reading...I love it to much...well unless I'm trying to read to many at one time.
I just wish I did have some more time right now...but I will enjoy this book, all the more when I do get to it...Anne has never disapointed me...and I know she won't with this one either.

Old Jan 3 2009, 12:47 AM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well I've finally finished reading *The Year Of the Lucy*, and just like I said above...Anne didn't disapoint me at all...I loved it.
Now it seems that I have an even better reason to have collected all the different copies of it, that I now have.

Old Jan 3 2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Becky
Coelura

Yahoo!!!!! So very glad to hear you've read the book! I knew you'd love it!
If there are other books in your collection you haven't read maybe this will get you reading them too?
Old Feb 18 2009, 04:52 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I have read most of the romances now. I especially enjoyed *The Lady* so far that is my most favorite of her modern stories.
Seems AMC Questing...has been taking care of more and more of the books that I am reading throughout the year these days. Keeping up with those books, keeps me pretty busy reading wise these days...

Old Feb 18 2009, 05:17 PM   #13
Becky
Coelura

LOL, Maelin! The romances are just as good as the scifi, to me. I just love the way Anne writes!
Old Feb 18 2009, 05:22 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I most heartily agree Becky, especially where *The Lady* is concerned. Its got all the adventure, drama and charm of the Dragonrider series IMO. To me if it's written by Anne, its more than worth a readers time...one they will remember long after the book is finished, as we have proof here daily.