A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 27 2004, 01:10 AM   #1
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks
Default Timing question

This is in relation to an idea I have for fanfic....

Say you just impressed, your dragonet's asleep, and you're at the banquet, seated and stuffing yourself, and just say you time it -- later -- to turn up then. Given you are excited, yet know nothing of timing, how traumatic do you think the effects of yourself popping up like that will be? How likely would it be misdiagnosed, especially if the you timing it is hidden from most eyes (excepting perhaps only watchweyrs and dragons)?
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2004, 07:30 AM   #2
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons
Wink Re: Timing question

I don't think you would recognize yourself as an older person. You might think hmmmm is that a relative I don't know about? Or just an older dragon rider I don't recognize.
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2004, 08:20 AM   #3
Cherlyn
Crafter

Fan of: P.E.R.N.
Now Reading: 'Winds of Fate'by Mercedes Lackey
Default Re: Timing question

There would be that strange effect to the physical being with two selves in the same time but it would be the older rider having the realization of what happened falling into place like it did Lessa when she realized with her older self on Ramoth over Ruatha, the Watchwher didn't give the alarm when Fax invaded the hold . . .
Cherlyn (Cheryl #2 - "The Okie One") aka The Cheesaholic, Chocoholic Packrat and seeker of anti-ques and junque...
Click:. . .F.R.O.G. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .@<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
"I just got back from the hospital. I had a speed reading accident; I hit a bookmark." ~ Unknown
Cherlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Definitely nausea and disorientation. Given that you alrady stuffed yourself I think you will be violently sick and will throw up all over the Weyrlingmaster who happened to be seated next to you which gets you to the barracks immediately, well, after cleaning up yourself and your dragonet.

Then as an older person you get the hell wrung out of you by your Weyrleader... what fun!

At that point you are considering to break the laws again by going back prior to the banquet to warn yourself...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27 2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Definitely nausea and disorientation. Given that you alrady stuffed yourself I think you will be violently sick and will throw up all over the Weyrlingmaster who happened to be seated next to you which gets you to the barracks immediately, well, after cleaning up yourself and your dragonet.

Then as an older person you get the hell wrung out of you by your Weyrleader... what fun!

At that point you are considering to break the laws again by going back prior to the banquet to warn yourself...
Now that would be quite the loop...

::is reminded of something and retreats, smothering laughter:: Oh, but a timing thread just to get your sona in trouble is so much fun...Though in that case, a weyrling did it by accident, and went forward, not back.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28 2004, 12:46 AM   #6
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

I'm planning on a long enough break, maybe ten turns, between impression and going back.

To give the events all away...

At the impression a trader goes missing, and his son is traumatised. Some turns later, the body of the trader is found in a remote location, on a large outcropping of rock by a mountain lake. The ground around is soft, and there are no tracks; the corpse is fresh, he'd been struck on the back of the head, and he was dead from exposure. Most reckon he got there by dragonback; the son's growing up, and silent.

About ten turns after, a green or blue dragon is hit by thread on the muzzle. The rider was at the earlier impression, where he, in his excitement, threw up and passed out. This has been the latest in a string of bad luck for him -- he too is threadscored, and gains a limp as a result.

Fortune smiles on him, however: he becomes attached to the weyr harper. They become weyrmates. Unfortunately, the son of the trader takes an intense dislike of him.

One hatching, at the feast afterwards, and at night, the harper heads back to the weyr to pick up an instrument. He finds a man rummaging around in there, and gets attacked; the rider sees this, and sees the man's face -- it is the trader from the glimpse he gets -- so he jumps on his dragon, and tells it to go between to the trader. After a long time between, which seems like ages, he lands on the outskirts of a gather, where he comes face to face with the drunk trader; he also feels unaccountably weakened, but he has strength enough to knock the trader down. The trader strikes his head on a rock.

The rider recalls the scene where the body was found, and, recalling this comes to the realisation that dragons can go through time. So he times it to the site where he dumps the trader's body, then heads back home. Unfortunately, he believes the blow killed the trader, not the xposure, so although he feels guilty, he rationalises it as an accident.

He now has to watch his back: the man who assaulted the harper turned out to be the son of the trader, and he's out to get revenge for his father's death, since he had seen the threadscored dragon, and rider, take the body as a child.

Now I have to work out a way of poisoning a dragon... painfully.
Old Dec 28 2004, 06:53 PM   #7
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

That sounds complicated, Ghyle. Course, anything that involves time travel would be.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29 2004, 12:11 AM   #8
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Yes, it is going to be complicated, especially since it will take so long to deal with in r/l. It's also going to be handled over a number of stories proper.
Old Dec 29 2004, 11:52 AM   #9
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Sounds complicated Ghyle!!! Good luck with it!

(btw, reading Dragon's Kin might help with the meeting-yourself bit)

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29 2004, 02:58 PM   #10
ghyle
Resident Poet
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Strictly speaking, C_ris, there's no meeting oneself, properly. There's close conjunction, a la the return of the egg in WD. I figure that the emotional intensity and the excitement of impression, plus the gorging would cause the heightened effects in the younger self.
Old Dec 29 2004, 05:33 PM   #11
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

How about alumnum to poison a dragon-they've copper based blood havent they and aluminium is poisonous to slugs and snails. they've copper based blood.

Last edited by edith; Dec 29 2004 at 05:34 PM. Reason: forgot to finish
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2005, 03:50 AM   #12
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

The only problem is aluminium extraction. Whilst bauxite isn't uncommon, conversion to aluminium isn't the kind of thing I can see the Pernese doing very often - messy, expensive & polluting, and probably beyond their technological expertise except on a very small scale.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2005, 10:00 AM   #13
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
The only problem is aluminium extraction. Whilst bauxite isn't uncommon, conversion to aluminium isn't the kind of thing I can see the Pernese doing very often - messy, expensive & polluting, and probably beyond their technological expertise except on a very small scale.
but wouldnt the ancent've had 1t?
(sorry Hans-you gessed 1t- no eyes or cays AGA!N-oh for my own pc and broadband!)
edith is offline   Reply With Quote