A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 30 2004, 12:53 PM   #1
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz
Default Weyrs Without Dragons

Ok so we have the dragons without wyers thread what about wyers without dragons? Would people continue to live in them?? Should they be kept running at a minimal leval for the all important matings? Would they stay at full strenght but allow for people to travel and get out more? Would they become unused like during the long interval?? I'll post more after class Just wanted to give some food for thought.

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Last edited by Cheryl; Nov 30 2004 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Edited to correct spelling of Weyr!
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 02:24 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Re: Weyrs Without Dragons

As was suggested in the Dragons without Weyrs thread by many folks, I would think they'll be maintained with at least a minimal support staff and population because they're going to remain the best place for a queen to clutch her eggs.

Perhaps though not all the Northern continent Weyrs will be maintained, and more will be Hatching Ground Weyrs will be established in the south, as most folks seem to find the southern continent's climate preferable.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

I quite agree that queens will desire the weyr as a safe place for eggs and riders will wish to mantain the traditions
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 04:52 PM   #4
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

plus they're good well distributed bases and homes, vital if dragons are to be used for various roles in post thread pern.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 05:50 PM   #5
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

i think that there will always be dragons in the weyrs, as there will always be some who will not wish to leave. And the as the queen swill likely want to lay their eggs in a weyr, then i think that thew wyrs will always be populated, though they might become more Hold-like or Craft-like in theirt structure.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 06:49 PM   #6
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
i think that there will always be dragons in the weyrs, as there will always be some who will not wish to leave. And the as the queen swill likely want to lay their eggs in a weyr, then i think that thew wyrs will always be populated, though they might become more Hold-like or Craft-like in theirt structure.
This raises another question... Will being a dragon rider become more of a craft or will it always be the perferred creer of choice?

I think it will continue to be the career of choice on Pern but maybe not with the same reverence as now shown?

Old Nov 30 2004, 07:03 PM   #7
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kater
This raises another question... Will being a dragon rider become more of a craft or will it always be the perferred creer of choice?

I think it will continue to be the career of choice on Pern but maybe not with the same reverence as now shown?
i think that it will always be the career of choice.. who wouldn't want to be partnered with a dragon??? but with the lack of a specific foe to fight, the reverence for dragonriders will diminsh somewhat, i think.

Old Nov 30 2004, 07:14 PM   #8
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Because of Impression, being a Dragonrider will always be set apart, special. Because although many apply...even fewer are chosen to be a Dragonrider than to walk the tables of any Craft.

But with the end of Thread, I think you will see a LOT of riders...and Dragons.. cross-training. There will be dragons and riders in the Star Hall... and as Dolphineers ... as patrols, and emergency services...as Harpers (Dragons love music, and dragonriders are supposed to be almost as impartial as Harpers) And they will no longer be automatically barred from Holding.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 09:12 PM   #9
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

I wonder how many Dragonriders of blood will begin looking at either going back to the family hold or starting a hold nearby and working in tandum with thier family.

Old Nov 30 2004, 09:45 PM   #10
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kater
I wonder how many Dragonriders of blood will begin looking at either going back to the family hold or starting a hold nearby and working in tandum with thier family.
Probably not that many, Kater. It seems to me that the Bloods Searched in the 9th seem to be distant to the main Lines, and not exactly in the running for inheriting. More crafters and crofters, beyond weyrbreds.

But working near to the family...yeah, that's possible. No matter where the family is, or where the dragon and rider live.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 11:34 PM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I'm sure some would enjoy the chance to be close to their family...and some definitely won't be interested and are still thanking their lucky stars they managed to impress and get away from their family!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 09:50 AM   #12
Piyer
Inactive

Rocky Crater is based off one possible answer to that question, and Anne herself hints at another with Honshu and the lands put aside for the riders down south. In RCWh's view of it (740+ Turns after the end of the 9th Pass) there are still a few Weyrs around, but the northern-most ones (HRW, Telgar, and Benden) are abandoned. In their place, and all across Pern, there are major (with a queen) and minor (queenless and usually with less than 50 dragons) Weyrholds where dragonriders live alongside holder folk and, for the most part, work alongside them, too, as either rider-crafters or regular non-craft workers. The Weyrs, on the other hand, tend to attract those less inclined to being a crafter of any sort, and so they tend to do the rescue / transport / etc. kind of work. We've never really said whether or not their population is at full fighting strength, but they probably are as Rocky Crater is always referred to as being a small Weyrhold intended for a population of 200 or so dragons.

What I like most about the Weyrhold concept is that, at least in the ones without queens, it opens the door for green and blueriders to serve as Dragonholders. And that's a good thing!
Piyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 01:29 PM   #13
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Also with the end of Thread, it is quite possible but many Holds will be built of wood, especially in the Southern Continent. Which will allow for many more people to either start off on their own, and for dragonriders to livw herever they want to.