A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Dec 2 2004, 05:57 PM   #1
davmilasav
Inactive

Default Who Named Jaxom?

Just finished rereading DF for the umpteenth time and I realized that we have no idea who named Jaxom. His mother died in childbirth and F'lar killed Fax before Fax knew the baby was real and not just Lessa's lie. So who named the kid?
davmilasav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 06:01 PM   #2
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Re: Who Named Jaxom?

My guess would be one of Fax's other women...the pregnant one he "assigned" to F'lar?
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 06:08 PM   #3
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
My guess would be one of Fax's other women...the pregnant one he "assigned" to F'lar?
Sis, the pregnant woman who was assigned to F'lar was Gemma and she was Jaxom's mother

I think in a scene after Jaxom impresses Ruth, Lessa is remeniscing and she thinks about having misnamed Jaxom as there was no real way to contract his name to sound right. J'xm, J'xom and so on At least that's what my foggy mind recalls

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 06:21 PM   #4
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth
He says his name is Jaxom!

sorry, just couldn't resist

Seriously, I think it was done by unnamed people at the Hold. To my recollection, F'lar & Lessa had a discussion about it after she arrived, and he was telling her about it. Lessa didn't give a ****, because as far as she was concerned, the kid was an usurper.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 07:15 PM   #5
davmilasav
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kater
Sis, the pregnant woman who was assigned to F'lar was Gemma and she was Jaxom's mother
No, that was Lady Teela, the one that Lessa compares herself to after she gets her first real bath in a decade.
davmilasav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 07:28 PM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Davmil is right (well, except for the spelling). Lady Tela was assigned to keep F'lar company on the Search through Fax's seven holds. She confided in him that she was pregnant, thinking it wonderful news and not realizing that it was something F'lar could have chosen to take offense to (he speculates that Fax assigned her to him to be purposefully rude).

Many people could have named Jaxom: one of Fax's ladies like Tela, F'lar or F'nor, even Robinton (who managed to get himself written into that story in MHoP). Personally though, I'd vote for Lytol having named him, because I doubt anyone spared a thought for his need of a name. I can picture Lytol showing up as requested to play Warder/Guardian and asking what the babe's name was, then being apoplectic upon learning no one had bothered to name him yet, then picking the name on the spot as a nice-sounding conjunction of Fax and Gemma.

What do you mean no one's named him?! Fine then, we'll call him Jaxom!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 01:31 AM   #7
K'vin
Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
Davmil is right (well, except for the spelling). Lady Tela was assigned to keep F'lar company on the Search through Fax's seven holds. She confided in him that she was pregnant, thinking it wonderful news and not realizing that it was something F'lar could have chosen to take offense to (he speculates that Fax assigned her to him to be purposefully rude).

Many people could have named Jaxom: one of Fax's ladies like Tela, F'lar or F'nor, even Robinton (who managed to get himself written into that story in MHoP). Personally though, I'd vote for Lytol having named him, because I doubt anyone spared a thought for his need of a name. I can picture Lytol showing up as requested to play Warder/Guardian and asking what the babe's name was, then being apoplectic upon learning no one had bothered to name him yet, then picking the name on the spot as a nice-sounding conjunction of Fax and Gemma.

I like the tought of that. Maybe somebody can write a story of Lytol being informed and his 1st years at Ruatha.
K'vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 04:55 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Yep, Lady Tela was pregnant too.

For naming Jaxom (or Gaxom, as he was first called ) my vote goes to the midwife, the birthing woman, who usually is the only person keeping a cool head during the circumstances!

She prolly thought to call him Faxom, then decided on Gaxom. G for Gemma, 'ax' for Fax and because she didn't like short names she decided to tag 'om' at the end. Then Anne started to write the story and she doubts if she heard the birthing woman (who had only a few teeth because of bad dental care on Pern) correctly. She originally writes Gaxom (as the midwife intended) in "A Time When" but when she need to reread/rewrite for "The White Dragon" she decides she understood wrongly and goes for her "second choice": Jaxom.

And that is how we all came to know our only Holder-Rider as Jaxom. Honest! Really! You think I would tell you stories? Of course not, this is all desperately true!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 09:37 AM   #9
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmilasav
No, that was Lady Teela, the one that Lessa compares herself to after she gets her first real bath in a decade.
ooops!! My bad sorry!! I got mixed up!

Old Dec 3 2004, 12:06 PM   #10
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: Faye Upton: Dragonchoice 3

Jaxom is just Gaxom with a soft "g"... as is found in Gemma.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 01:30 PM   #11
SecretFantasy85
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath
Jaxom is just Gaxom with a soft "g"... as is found in Gemma.
I've never pronounced it that way I've always said G as in hard g in Gemma like it's pronounced in get
SecretFantasy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 01:58 PM   #12
Purpura
Curlycorn

Fan of: Dragon Riders of Pern.

I always thought it was a soft G in Gemma and the resulting J sound went for the J in Jaxom....

Thinking about it now, Heh I'm betting Lytol asks the midwife what the baby's name is and she may have been about to say something of Gemma and her unloved husband's deaths and it came out as "J..ax..om...."
Purpura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 03:32 PM   #13
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Yep, Lady Tela was pregnant too.

For naming Jaxom (or Gaxom, as he was first called ) my vote goes to the midwife, the birthing woman, who usually is the only person keeping a cool head during the circumstances!

She prolly thought to call him Faxom, then decided on Gaxom. G for Gemma, 'ax' for Fax and because she didn't like short names she decided to tag 'om' at the end. Then Anne started to write the story and she doubts if she heard the birthing woman (who had only a few teeth because of bad dental care on Pern) correctly. She originally writes Gaxom (as the midwife intended) in "A Time When" but when she need to reread/rewrite for "The White Dragon" she decides she understood wrongly and goes for her "second choice": Jaxom.

And that is how we all came to know our only Holder-Rider as Jaxom. Honest! Really! You think I would tell you stories? Of course not, this is all desperately true!

Now would Hans make something up
Hmmmm I think NOT good job Hans
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 04:06 PM   #14
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl

I like that solution, Cheryl. And now I've got an idea for a story around that, but will likely not have time to write it before the KT closes! I'll hang on to it in case the FFF is revived at the new sitte, as I'm not joining another board just for that.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 04:08 PM   #15
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

I think the soft 'g' sounds better. Otherwise I think of Gack! Um... hehe. Just my wierd sense of humor.

Tresa

Old Dec 3 2004, 05:19 PM   #16
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I know someone called Gemma, with a soft g, so that's why I've always pronounced it that way.
Old Dec 4 2004, 01:18 AM   #17
R'zil
Darbul

Fan of: Pern and Talent Series

How about Deelan, his milk mother? Maybe she wasn't very bright but she would certainly have known the naming customs. Probably had to be approved by Lytol tho........
R'zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 07:17 AM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Suddenly occured to me that Jaxom does sound an awful lot like Fax' Son without actually giving it away

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Dec 4 2004, 09:01 AM   #19
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

It does, Hans, it really does!
Old Dec 4 2004, 09:02 AM   #20
Larry Lea O-G
Mrdini

Fan of: Moreta/Nerilka's story
Now Reading: A Gift of Dragons

Quote:
Suddenly occured to me that Jaxom does sound an awful lot like Fax' Son without actually giving it away
Interesting Idea Hans but choosing a "J" instead of an "F" where did that come from? Faxom to Jaxom Hmmmmm
Larry Lea O-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 09:06 AM   #21
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Gemma? I still like that theory.
Old Dec 4 2004, 03:15 PM   #22
K'vin
Glow

I think that he would be named after Gemma and Fax, with Gemma first as nobody cared for Fax. "Gemma and Fax's son = Gaxom becoming Jaxom.
K'vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 04:57 PM   #23
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'vin
I think that he would be named after Gemma and Fax, with Gemma first as nobody cared for Fax. "Gemma and Fax's son = Gaxom becoming Jaxom.

and Jaxom sounds better than Faxem!

Tresa

Old Dec 4 2004, 08:48 PM   #24
Dux
Renegade

I always assumed it was Lytol. After all, he arrived at Ruatha only a few hours after Jaxom's birth.

I know this sort of thing has been asked before, but

What happened to Lady tela's baby - Jaxom's half-sibling? I know there is no answer - but I want one. I think it would have been great for some of the half-sibs to have shown up in the other books.
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 10:36 PM   #25
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dux
I always assumed it was Lytol. After all, he arrived at Ruatha only a few hours after Jaxom's birth.

I know this sort of thing has been asked before, but

What happened to Lady tela's baby - Jaxom's half-sibling? I know there is no answer - but I want one. I think it would have been great for some of the half-sibs to have shown up in the other books.

Maybe if they had, Dorse wouldn't have been the only "sibling" Jaxom had to deal with. And he maybe could havbe married a pretty half sister off to another Hold family.
Old Dec 4 2004, 10:45 PM   #26
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Maybe if they had, Dorse wouldn't have been the only "sibling" Jaxom had to deal with. And he maybe could havbe married a pretty half sister off to another Hold family.
Dorse was Deleen's son right? But was he Fax's son as well or was he just one of the hold sons being raised with Jaxom?

Old Dec 4 2004, 10:52 PM   #27
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Quote:
Dorse was Deleen's son right? But was he Fax's son as well or was he just one of the hold sons being raised with Jaxom?

Dorse was Deleen's son, Jaxom's milk brother. No Blood tie, just a sort of fosterage. Had Deleen not had Dorse (Or at least carried him near to term) she wouldn't have had milk for Jaxom. So, the thought is Jaxom owed Dorse as much as Deleen.
Old Dec 4 2004, 11:05 PM   #28
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Dorse was Deleen's son, Jaxom's milk brother. No Blood tie, just a sort of fosterage. Had Deleen not had Dorse (Or at least carried him near to term) she wouldn't have had milk for Jaxom. So, the thought is Jaxom owed Dorse as much as Deleen.
Thank you. I'm a bit tired and befuddled at the moment. Is Jaxom the only one of Fax's brood that we have a history on?

Old Dec 5 2004, 12:39 AM   #29
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Thank you. I'm a bit tired and befuddled at the moment. Is Jaxom the only one of Fax's brood that we have a history on?
Yes, he's the only one. No mention of sisters is ever made (but it was mentioned that no sons had ever been born to Fax, at least not born live). We had a lively debate on this subject on the KT, and many of us agree Jaxom may have upwards of a dozen half-sisters out there. Most likely Lytol made good strategic marriages for a lot them. Jaxom never spares them a thought, and as he's not really a thoughtless guy I rather think none were raised at Ruatha nor was he particularly made aware of their existance.
Old Dec 5 2004, 05:44 AM   #30
Hans
Master Archivist

Lytol making marriage arangements for Fax's daughters? Why? They weren't even living at the same Hold because Lytol had to move from High Reaches to Ruatha to act as guardian.

Besides, don't you think that those daughters might be spread all over the area of the Seven Holds... hmmm, bar Ruatha, somehow I don't think Fax will have a daughter or bastard there

I think it is more likely that the mothers of that Fax offspring kept a very low profile at first. Can't blame them being scared. Just theory all this of course.

Old Dec 5 2004, 10:45 AM   #31
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Lytol making marriage arangements for Fax's daughters? Why? They weren't even living at the same Hold because Lytol had to move from High Reaches to Ruatha to act as guardian.

Besides, don't you think that those daughters might be spread all over the area of the Seven Holds... hmmm, bar Ruatha, somehow I don't think Fax will have a daughter or bastard there

I think it is more likely that the mothers of that Fax offspring kept a very low profile at first. Can't blame them being scared. Just theory all this of course.
I think at the point when they would STOP laying low is when Lytol feels he would have to worry about it. I think he probably would just want to keep Jaxom's position safe, especially after impressing Ruth. So why not just make suitable arraingements and be done with it? IMHO

Old Dec 5 2004, 01:06 PM   #32
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I agree Kater. Left on their own, it's possible the girls/mothers would make trouble (or more likely someone else on their behalf, since Fax preferred his women docile). Lytol would have been wise to at least be informed of their whereabouts and activities.
Old Dec 10 2004, 08:22 PM   #33
Deb Krol
Loo Cow

Quote:
Sorry Kater--the lady was not Gemma, but Tela--she is named when they arrive at Ruatha on the Search that found Lessa.

Deb
Deb Krol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10 2004, 09:40 PM   #34
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Krol
Sorry Kater--the lady was not Gemma, but Tela--she is named when they arrive at Ruatha on the Search that found Lessa.

Deb
Thanx Deb... davmilasav had pointed that out to me a few posts after my mispost

Old Dec 11 2004, 01:56 PM   #35
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

I agree that it must have been Lytol who named Jaxom. Both of his parents were dead, and i am pretty sure that no-one else would want to take such a liberty with a Lord Holder.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11 2004, 06:21 PM   #36
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
I agree that it must have been Lytol who named Jaxom. Both of his parents were dead, and i am pretty sure that no-one else would want to take such a liberty with a Lord Holder.
As well as the fact that during the all the excitement no one probably even though of it