A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old May 1 2008, 12:56 AM   #1
TheDarkHorseOne
Glow

Default Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth series

I was surprised not to see this author mentioned in the four pages of this forum, unless I missed it.

It's an incredibly engaging series from start to finish. I had the fortune of not having to wait for each book, and in that vein it was constant rehash of character and story in each beginning. I didn't feel that necessary, as it was just more words added to already lengthy books, but perhaps it was a requisite of the publisher to orient each book as a singular entity. To me, it was wasted time reading from start to finish. I knew all the rehash from the day before when I finished the previous book. That's a personal peeve, though. Perhaps tainted or influenced a bit by my aspiration. Once you get to the meat of each book, though, it'll take you on quite a fun roller coaster ride.

I'd love to hear if some of you have read it as I have. Enjoyed? Disappointed?

I learned from it, to be sure.
TheDarkHorseOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31 2008, 07:14 PM   #2
draconichybrid
Ssli

Fan of: Lessa/Killa/TTATH pentad
Now Reading: Random Rereads
Default Re: Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth series

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHorseOne View Post
I was surprised not to see this author mentioned in the four pages of this forum, unless I missed it.

It's an incredibly engaging series from start to finish. I had the fortune of not having to wait for each book, and in that vein it was constant rehash of character and story in each beginning. I didn't feel that necessary, as it was just more words added to already lengthy books, but perhaps it was a requisite of the publisher to orient each book as a singular entity. To me, it was wasted time reading from start to finish. I knew all the rehash from the day before when I finished the previous book. That's a personal peeve, though. Perhaps tainted or influenced a bit by my aspiration. Once you get to the meat of each book, though, it'll take you on quite a fun roller coaster ride.

I'd love to hear if some of you have read it as I have. Enjoyed? Disappointed?

I learned from it, to be sure.
Another Sword of Truth fan? I'm impressed.

Agreed on every point, except two: one, I did have to wait for a number of them (you do realize the series is 11 books long, right?); two, he did that so the books would double as stand-alone novels. Can't remember where the interview in question was (otherwise I'd quote/link to it), but I do remember that....

I'm curious: have you ever been over to the TG.net forums?

Last edited by draconichybrid; Jul 31 2008 at 07:35 PM.
draconichybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1 2008, 03:08 PM   #3
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

My first online fandom was Terry Goodkind; I was a fan until the 5th book or something. When Faith of the Fallen came out, though, I was disgusted by the preaching about the evil commies (really...wtf?) and fell off the TG boat. (I like to be exposed to new ideas, but I don't like the author hitting me over the head with them like a 2 x 4, over and over again. I'm not DENSE, thank you.)

So, this is why there aren't any posts by me about TG; I haven't read the last 4 books in the series, so I'm kind of out of date! I should probably see if I can wade through them, just to finally finish off the series.

I know of TG.net; it's a kissing cousin to my old message board Ebon Askavi/Uen Detorik and has a lot of users who used to post on my board. I like the TG.net forums better than Prophets-Inc; Zedd gets a lot of maniacs (not his fault, since he runs the official TG site), whereas TG.Net is more mellow. (Sort of like here.) Mystar's a cool guy, I'm glad he started TG.net. And now I feel guilty; I should post there more.
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2 2008, 11:39 AM   #4
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. M. Domini View Post
My first online fandom was Terry Goodkind; I was a fan until the 5th book or something. When Faith of the Fallen came out, though, I was disgusted by the preaching about the evil commies (really...wtf?) and fell off the TG boat. (I like to be exposed to new ideas, but I don't like the author hitting me over the head with them like a 2 x 4, over and over again. I'm not DENSE, thank you.)
Oh yes, that is exactly what put me off the series, too. I was curious to see where it was going but that book was I bought the next one, read the first ten pages and have never got back to it. I probably will one day, I'm just not in a hurry to do so. The storylines got a bit complicated, too, and I was having trouble keeping track of who was what as I waited for the next book to come out. The last one is out now, yes? So perhaps its time to try and plough through to the end.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3 2008, 01:59 AM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Never could get into them to start off with. Although a friend of mine is up to the 8th or 9th book then realised he's lost #2 or #3 so he's got to find it again so he can read the whole series again at some stage. O whatever Lucio?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2009, 10:41 AM   #6
cwett
Dragonrider

Fan of: The Rowan
Now Reading: The Renegades of Pern

Hmm... Well I am a HUGE fan of Goodkind and ate up the entire series! I had to wait for nearly all of the books, which was part of the appeal in not dropping the series but keeping on track. Faith Of The Fallen was my favorite book and the introduction of "the Commies" was something I could stomach and could understand as an evil presence in the books. I believe they were well done and the final book was a good enough close out of such a long series.

Law of Nines is on my ToBeRead list... I'm hearing it has to do with the children of Richard and Kahlan in present time. Though I really can't say until I've read it!
cwett is offline   Reply With Quote