A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jun 25 2014, 10:00 AM   #2361
Zelandeth
Firestone

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

Glad to hear he seems to be doing well. I know how it is with brain surgery having had my father go through a lot back in the 90s following a brain haemorrhage that came out of the blue. So fingers crossed things keep going well.

Well done on the house, Kath! Hope you had less of a headache with that than we did getting ours organised!

Today has mostly been spent scratching my head over the growing green algae problem in our pond. Will head out tomorrow and get a dedicated aerator I think to try to get the oxygen levels back up as the current filter/fountain seems to be struggling to keep up when the water's warmer. Will see about getting some plants in there as well as there's virtually nothing at the moment. Sure a bit of variety in the "terrain" would be something the fish would be thankful for as well.

Also finally got around to digging out some of the images from when I was playing around with the thermal camera last week...Snapping a photo of the car's engine while warming up was an obvious target. Figured I'd post it given that this isn't something that many people will have had the opportunity to see before.

IR photography is really interesting...it's astonishing how many surfaces act as near perfect mirrors in IR despite being completely matt as far as we are concerned.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2014, 10:02 AM   #2362
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Aerator? Why technical? Buy some oxygen plants. I just removed many a kilo of them from our pond 15,000 liter pond because they were doing the growing part of their task a tad too well Next time the waterlillies get decimated *grrr*

My pond story here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hansva...7623105113509/

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2014, 10:42 AM   #2363
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Seth is not doing very well this morn. He is in a lot of pain.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2014, 10:46 AM   #2364
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Poor boy. It's not easy to medicate little ones for pain.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2014, 05:48 PM   #2365
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

They now have his pain under control and he is doing great. He is being a little snot. He will not talk when a nurse or Dr. is in the room. Not because he is shy or anything. He just does not want to. He will be talking, and playing just fine until they walk in, then he will stop in mid-word and not say anything until they leave. He won't even talk to one of us. He just grins when we try to get him to.

He also decided I could not take his pic. he put his hand up to his face and move it around when I tried to get a pic and giggled. When I left he was sitting on a bench in his room playing with his cars, not have any problems moving his head or neck. Most of the time after this surgery P.T has to force people to move their heads sideways. Seth is have no problems at all. He will be moved out of ICU as soon as they have a bed for him.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Jun 25 2014, 05:49 PM   #2366
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I forgot to mention it earlier, love the car engine pic.

Old Jun 25 2014, 06:27 PM   #2367
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

That is wonderful news. He sounds like an absolute rascal, that's the best kind!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2014, 08:01 PM   #2368
Zelandeth
Firestone

Thanks for the advice regarding plants for the pond. That is my long term plan, but I've had an aerator sitting here for ages doing nothing (it came with the house) just needing wired up, so may as well use it. Plus that's a quick way of getting the levels back up as the current mess can't be doing the fish any favours...and I've become more attached to them than I probably should have.

Plants though will be happening soon with a bit of luck.
Old Jun 25 2014, 10:43 PM   #2369
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby at 4H state congress showing off her shiny blue ribbon

Seth, not wanting his pic. taken. He kept moving his hand so I wouldn't get it and giggling

Old Jun 25 2014, 10:50 PM   #2370
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

What a lovely picture of Kibby! Do you know yet if she is going to Nationals? Where are they located?

What a handful Seth is, and I mean that in a good way!
Old Jun 26 2014, 12:22 AM   #2371
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Hans. That was a lot of work but it looks great.

Mawra, congrats to Kibby and my Seth's surgery be successful. Also, glad he's recovery so well.

Kath, safe move and adjustment back in England.
Old Jun 26 2014, 05:52 PM   #2372
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Kath I just read about you moving back to England, good luck
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2014, 06:28 PM   #2373
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Thanks all!

It still hasn't sunk in that the tricky legal/financial stuff is done, and I don't expect it will until we actually move in. It was an absolutely hellish process, to be honest. Buying a house in a foreign country and getting a mortgage on the basis of two jobs you haven't started yet, plus all the new regs and hurdles they brought in this spring and the sellers suddenly deciding that the July move date we've been asking for since February can't be done... Stress central! But we survived, that's the main thing.
Old Jun 26 2014, 07:52 PM   #2374
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
What a lovely picture of Kibby! Do you know yet if she is going to Nationals? Where are they located?

What a handful Seth is, and I mean that in a good way!
The 4H leader is new to Virginia and did not realize that there was more then just winning state to go to nationals. So she won't be going. Kibby should still get the medal and certificate. It will next week before she finds out for sure. The person in charge of the competitions is out of town until then.

Old Jun 26 2014, 10:19 PM   #2375
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It sounds like there is still a chance that she might go. I thought you said she tied for first place? If the other person is going Kibby should certainly go!
Old Jun 27 2014, 12:32 AM   #2376
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

She did, but to go to nationals she had to have paper work in before state congress that she wanted to go if she won and she had to be interviewed and other stuff that the new agent did not know about in time to fill it all out.

I wish that the last leader or this leader had been her leader from when she first started 4H. There was a lot of things she could have done if she had known about it. She knew nothing about the all star program with is the highest level you can get to in 4H. You have to work toward from early on. She could have made it if she had know about it before 3 years ago. It is kinda like being an Eagle Scout you have to work towards it from cub scouts up.

Old Jun 27 2014, 12:44 AM   #2377
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Or in Girl Scouts or FLBA
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 27 2014, 07:01 AM   #2378
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Because people have started speculating: I did not leave AMCF because it was too left-wing. Nor did I leave it because there aren't enough people who agree with Gryphon or Fabe.

I left because MOM has hosts who actually do some hosting and tech-staff who genuinely have some clue about software. Because Cheryl has structured the place in a manner that might exclude certain conversations but that simultaneously includes more people in a space where they can express themselves and be appreciated as individuals - one with a community whose members listen to each other, who are interested in each others' views. And because some of us still have some intention of discussing the common interest that brought us all together, enough to welcome the new friends drawn in by the same literary appeal.

Also, to make a point. If the hosts and members of AMCF can't even try to up their game, then what's the point of going on? It's embarrassing to watch. The site's end is coming, don't doubt it, and whether it comes in a few months or a few years, it'll be slow and ugly and miserable, and I want no part of it.

This is how I feel, and why I left. This post is for information only: the opinions are my own, and not up for debate or discussion here on MOM - just take them or leave them, as you choose. I do not want this to be wank-fodder here. I just want to set the record straight.

(Also, if Hans or Cheryl thinks it would be better if this wasn't posted here at all, delete at will.)
Old Jun 27 2014, 07:56 PM   #2379
Hans
Master Archivist

I did not know you quit AMCF, i stopped going there ages ago. But like you said, there are some peeps that frequent both boards, so leaving you post here seems sensible.

And thank you for the compliments, they are much appreciated!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 27 2014, 09:49 PM   #2380
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I'm really sorry about Kibby and all the 4H confusion. I think she should be very pleased with all she's accomplished, no matter what else happens.

Our kids, Jenn's boyfriend and Fred's girlfriend have all been down in Florida at DisneyWorld this week. They love it as much as we do. They were even able to get in to dinner at the Beauty & the Beast castle restaurant. They'll be back on Sunday and then it's back to work for three of them and more intensive summer courses toward his Master's in music education for Mike (Jenn's boyfriend), who is a middle school chorus and orchestra teacher. Busy! They tell us we're having the 4th of July here this year. Just a few people and barbecue.

Summer is finally here. It seemed like it would never get warm!
Old Jun 28 2014, 03:59 AM   #2381
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

I agree with Priscilla about 4H and Kibby.
Old Jun 28 2014, 06:23 AM   #2382
Hans
Master Archivist

Yeah, bummer about the 4H thing for Kibby but, like was said, she can be very prous. Do tell we are proud of her, please.

Cilla,
Beauty and the Beast rstaurant? Is that an achievement to get in? Or special?
Nice to have to 4th of July together!

Old Jun 28 2014, 07:38 AM   #2383
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Exclamation Re: What is happening

The restaurant has only been open a short while and the reservation list is normally about a year in advance. However, our son is very persistent and was able to get them a table because of a cancellation. From the pictures the restaurant looks very much like the movie. The kids had their picture taken with a "cast member" dressed in a Beast costume. I've suggested to Jeff that since we both enjoy going that we should go once a year for as long as we are able. Next year I hope we can get to the Be Our Guest restaurant in the castle,too!
Old Jun 28 2014, 10:13 AM   #2384
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby is very proud of herself and all she did do in 4H. I wish she could stay in longer.

Pricilla can I sneak into your suitcase next year?

Mom is trying to get through the living room. She has three 5 week old problems. The kittens keep trying to get in front of her or on her foot rest. They do make life challenging.

Seth is home and is doing great. He is not even on much pain meds. Every is amazed how well he is doing. He is back to being a normal little boy.

Old Jun 28 2014, 10:35 AM   #2385
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Kibby should really proud. She's grown up so much since the earliest days of KT/MoM!

I would love to take you with us to Disney!

Kittens are so much fun. Even when they grow up they are still great. Our two old cats are now over 18 and still special to us for all the joy they've given over the years. Part of the family.

That is wonderful news about Seth. If he continues like this do the doctors say he can expect/hope for a normal, healthy life?
Old Jun 29 2014, 02:54 PM   #2386
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

There are some things he will never be able to do. Bouncy houses, contact sports, some rides at amusement parts, anything that jars the head around. And he still has epilepsy to deal with. He had two or three seizures at the yard sale. He also does not sweat so he really has to watch himself when he is outside. He can over heat quickly.

Kibby is very proud of herself. I'm not sure I am ready for a Kibby who is old enough to have a job.

Old Jun 29 2014, 03:14 PM   #2387
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

All those things he can't do are minor compared to being so much better overall. There are medications for epilepsy, does he take anything or "not" because of his other condition? It sounds like things are looking pretty good for him.

Fred was working part time at the bowling alley when he turned 16. Jenn didn't get a job until she graduated from college. You'll get used to it.

It's lucky Jeff tried to start Jenn's car, which has been in the garage this week while the kids have been at Disney. The battery was completely dead. He's out buying a new one to put in. She would have been beside herself if she got up to go to work tomorrow morning and the car wouldn't start.
Old Jun 30 2014, 02:36 PM   #2388
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Watching and enjoying the World Cup.
Old Jun 30 2014, 03:48 PM   #2389
Zelandeth
Firestone

Busy (but enjoyable) weekend.

Friday was spent at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Saturday we ran up to Sheffield to stay at a friend's place overnight, then on Sunday went up to Croft Racing Circuit where we went to the British Touring Car Championship race meeting there. Great day of racing there. Came back home this morning.

A pretty good weekend I reckon for a petrolhead!
Old Jun 30 2014, 03:53 PM   #2390
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I think my husband watched that race on television? He loves a good car race (that would be pretty much anything except Nascar). Formula 1 is his favorite.
Old Jun 30 2014, 04:17 PM   #2391
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Got a new computer screen, some DVDs, and a book.

Saw dad and grandmother yesterday.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 30 2014, 05:13 PM   #2392
Zelandeth
Firestone

Touring car races are always entertaining...for all it's meant to be a non-contact formula! Stewards had to earn their keep between races clearing the debris! Especially when the old hands like Jason Plato and Alan Menu start having a go at each other.
Old Jun 30 2014, 05:44 PM   #2393
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

There was a race out of Holland (I think) yesterday that had one, maybe two Bentley's in it. Granted they weren't as huge as the very old ones but still a lot bigger than the other cars. I believe that series may have been called "BlancPain"? I only see these things as I go back and forth through the room. Sometimes I will sit and watch a F1 race, though.
Old Jun 30 2014, 07:26 PM   #2394
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

There is a chance that the seizures is caused by the Chiari and might stop. We'll have to wait and see. He also (and Emmi) might still have Tuberous sclerosis complex. The Dr. decided to take care of the Chiari and worry about the TSC later.

He is on meds for seizures, but they are not working real well. He will have to go back to UVA for monitoring later. For the most part he will be a normally little boy. He will be starting Head Start (pre school for kids at risk of starting school behind others) in the fall.

Old Jun 30 2014, 08:00 PM   #2395
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

I enjoyed catching up with everyone's news.

Mawra, I hope he continues to recover in such a wonderful way.
Old Jul 1 2014, 05:18 AM   #2396
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

I recently read of a diet that is supposed to help with seizures. Basically you go back to using naughty butter rather than low-fat spreads.

https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/tre...ating-epilepsy

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1 2014, 09:12 AM   #2397
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I've read there is "stuff" in margarine that is not good for you and that a sensibly small use of REAL butter is better for you. We only use real. I have stopped my childhood habit of occasionally eating a pat or two plain (we rarely had butter, it was a special occasion item). I also don't recommend what our old bassett hound would do. She would put her paws on a chair, reach up to the table and snag a whole quarter pound of butter off the plate. Of course, she also ate a small bar of soap off the edge of the tub one time.

Btw, "stuff" is a highly scientific term! ;-)
Old Jul 1 2014, 10:42 AM   #2398
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Random nonsense from my FB page. It has occurred to me that I say I am "putting on my shoes and socks." If I really did it in that order it would look very strange! Am I the only one who says it this way or is there a group of us who need to go look for some of our "marbles"?
Old Jul 1 2014, 11:44 AM   #2399
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
I've read there is "stuff" in margarine that is not good for you and that a sensibly small use of REAL butter is better for you. We only use real. I have stopped my childhood habit of occasionally eating a pat or two plain (we rarely had butter, it was a special occasion item). I also don't recommend what our old bassett hound would do. She would put her paws on a chair, reach up to the table and snag a whole quarter pound of butter off the plate. Of course, she also ate a small bar of soap off the edge of the tub one time.

Btw, "stuff" is a highly scientific term! ;-)
My wife has problems with restless leg syndrome and leg cramps. One thing she cut out that helped was caffeine. she went to caffeine free coffee and tea. She drinks iced tea by the gallon. It's weak, just barely enough tea to make the water taste funny (to me), but she drinks it all day long. Watching for caffeine has helped. The other thing, and much more helpful in our estimation was eliminating aspartame. It's just about the oldest artificial sweetener, and most certainly the most widely used. It's in everything! By watching out for it and avoiding it if at all possible, she feels much better.

By the way, I'm a real butter fanatic too.

Quote:
Random nonsense from my FB page. It has occurred to me that I say I am "putting on my shoes and socks." If I really did it in that order it would look very strange! Am I the only one who says it this way or is there a group of us who need to go look for some of our "marbles"?
It makes more sense than saying "Im putting on my socks and shoes". That just doesn't read right.

I think it's "shoes and socks" not because of the order you put them on, but because that's the order you see them in once they're on.
Old Jul 1 2014, 12:21 PM   #2400
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Hmmmmm. Far too sensible an answer!