A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jul 10 2011, 01:22 PM   #361
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: What is happening

The past few days havve not been real good. My niece Melissa had a mental break down. She is at the hospital. Luckily the Dr. she has seen in the past for bi-polar happened to see her at the hospital (E.R. had not called him even tho Melissa told them she had seen him).
The Dr. took Melissa out of lock down and got her on the proper meds. So she is doing MUCH better. Melissa can have visitors now. Tammy has plans on taking at least Emmi, her 2 year old, to see her today. Melissa does not want the babies fathers to know that she is in the hospital so I don't think her oldest daughter, 6yr. old Madison, to see her.

Kibbie's new puppy uses the cats litter box. I have never seen a dog use a litter box before. The cats are still "playing" with the puppy.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2011, 03:57 PM   #362
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

@ P'ter thanks for the reminder, on bus pass part , For I'm going to busy. using the local bus to get to were I'm needing to go. Takes three differnt lines to get to and from. And I still have a problem once I leave hold to read the timing for the bus.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2011, 09:28 PM   #363
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Our two grandsons were with us all week. The older will be 3 in Sept. and the younger will be 1 the end of this month. Our son and daughter-in-law were out of town on business and we kept the babies for them. We had fun with them but they did wear us down. Caring for preschoolers is exhausting!! So we were glad to hand them back over to dad and mom last night!

But they are sooooo cute and funny!! They are smart as they can be. (Don't all grandmas think their grandkids are the smartest!?) They are as different from each other as brothers can possibly be. But they both love being cuddled by grandma, at least for a few minutes until they want to play with the next toy, lol. Still, the peace and quiet are welcome, indeed!
Old Jul 10 2011, 10:46 PM   #364
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I agree about the peace and quite. We had 1 year old Seth and 2 year old Emmi from Wendsday until Friday. Seth went to his Dad's on Friday. Emmi went home today so her Dad can get her tomorrow. It is nice and quite. Not sure but I think we get Seth back Monday.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

Old Jul 11 2011, 12:12 AM   #365
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Kevia...yes we do...they are the most beautiful, the smartest and the nicest children anyone has ever seen...It's wonderful being a Grandparent

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14 2011, 03:03 PM   #366
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Right now I've got my mind on a friend who work with us from the Blind Outreach, he is a native of Wausau, and his mom, died and service is 7-15-2011.

He alone in the home he I think grew up in, for the first time, same age as Dan J. He was telling me stories about the church and his mom. Both places are a hill side, and how steep some of the stairs remind me of a few other spots I've been in.

I've got a ride to and working on from, for he has helped us when we need some aid a few time too. I've done my part, even if was hard on me, gone with him, and supported him to see if we can get aid from around here, for not for profit in fact that how we got the bird club to come and speak to us, he handled the arrangements, for the person who came to speak to us.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jul 14 2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old Jul 14 2011, 08:39 PM   #367
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

sorry to hear about your friends mother.

We spent the day trying to get donation for a charity auction that Kibby's Star Trek group does every year. They have a bunch of charities they give to an if they have enough they also send a kid to space camp. They do not have as many items as normal. So many places have closed down. We did get several donations today.

Old Jul 15 2011, 10:35 AM   #368
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Sorry to hear about that, Ginny.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15 2011, 12:24 PM   #369
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Sorry Ginny

We're waiting on my beloved husband to come home (hopefully early)then we're off to a nice steak dinner and to see HP to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary today
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15 2011, 08:40 PM   #370
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Thanks friends, I've told my friend your regards, and now I'm working on a few projects that, he is a volunteer for, I'm working on a speaker for our next meeting.

She was in her mid 80's and now 'free' from the pain she was feeling, hard to explain my self, but from what I understand its the house she lived in all her life, now its my freind and his sister to keep it up. He is alone in the house he grew up in for the first time, Ginny
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 16 2011, 03:52 PM   #371
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

From Sunday through Thursday heat index values may well top 100 degrees, and for the most part we'll have a mix of sun and clouds with occasional and scattered showers and thunderstorms. Monday will be a bit warmer with highs near 93.

Tuesday looks to cool off just slightly with highs near 91, but we're possibly approaching 95 by Wednesday. Thursday and Friday will see high temperatures near 93.

Though the daytime high temperatures are impressive, overnight lows will only be able to work down into the low 70s for much of next week. That's very warm and doesn't allow your body to fully recuperate from a day of heat and humidity. It's very important that you drink plenty of water, limit your time outdoors and do what you can to keep cool as this rather substantial heat wave takes shape.

This don't look too good, hot and muggy
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 16 2011, 05:29 PM   #372
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

I checked, and my last post in this thread was May 31, so I figured I'd update.

Things in the first part of June were fairly normal, which is to say hot. As Robin Williams said in Good Morning Viet Nam, real hot. Damn hot. When it rained it was wet and hot. Then we made a trip to Springfield, Illinois to meet my wife's brother and sister & brother-in-law for the weekend of the 17th to 19th. My wife went back to Indianapolis, Indiana with them and I came back home because I had to work.

The week of the 19th to 25th started out pretty well. The Americans among us might have heard of QuiBids, an internet auction site. I won't explain how everything works, but as part of their promotions, I got 7 free bids (they normally cost 60 cents each) and ended up winning a Canon camera bag (retail about $70) for $.03 plus shipping. That was Monday. I thought it was the beginning of a streak of good luck. Wrong.

On Wednesday, while working on a fitting on a ram for my porta-power, I fell and ripped my finger wide open. Tore a flap of flesh loose. When I couldn't get the bleeding to stop, I finally went to the doctor. It took him 12 stitches to (almost) close things.

Thursday I found out my aunt, who I've always been very close to, was dying of liver cancer. I went to work Friday, torn & bandaged finger and all. Remember, I'm a Corrections Officer in a maximum security prison, so work was especially interesting. I took Saturday off and drove to St. Louis to see my aunt one last time. She was pretty well out of it, but I think she realized I was there. The next time I was to see her would be at her funeral viewing. I came home Saturday and couldn't stand the stitches any longer, so I cut them out.

The next week was scheduled to be my annual core training. Monday and Tuesday were classroom work, then Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were overlapping classes of shotgun qualification, first aid/CPR, and Defensive Tactics. That last is sort of hand-to-hand combat, Department of Corrections style. I'm 64 years old (now) and the damaged finger held up remarkably well.

I had applied for the 4th and 5th of July off back at the first part of June, and gotten approved, so I had Independence Day and my birthday off for my family's traditional celebration. With my normal days off, I wasn't scheduled to work until Friday, July 8th. My aunt died on July 3rd. I went to the viewing on Thursday and she was buried on Friday. I wasn't there. She carried me enough when I was very young that I should have helped carry her to her final rest.

So because of all that, my birthday this year was a very large letdown.

Now, to get into July proper, I've been the only regular officer in my housing unit this past week. One officer is on vacation and the other has been in the same core training I took the end of June. He will be having surgery Thursday and will be off when I work next weekend, and the other one will come back from vacation and be in core training. So for the most of this month I'm running things and working with officers that are completely unfamiliar with the way things are done in my house. But hey, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.
Old Jul 16 2011, 09:08 PM   #373
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Sorry to hear of your lost Draco, , with your finger, and glad that it held up during your training.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 16 2011, 09:26 PM   #374
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

We painted the basement walls today. There are new DriCore wood floor tiles down and next will come some carpet tiles on top. The basement is looking very livable indeed! The kids have big plans. A large tv, video games, re-set up the ping pong table, and set up Mike's drum set for jams. Sounds like the basement is going to be noisy but fun!

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, Draco. But, I'm glad you were able to get to see her. That is very important to you, I'm sure.

Your work sounds stressful and crazy. I'll try to remember to be grateful that I am only working with children in daycare, even if they do sometimes get a bit rowdy.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18 2011, 11:07 PM   #375
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Draco, sorry to hear about your aunt. I am glad that you were able too see her. I know she was out of it, but, I am willing to bet that she knew you were there.

Old Jul 23 2011, 10:56 PM   #376
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I might be on tomorrow, but, after that it will be a week. My sister is house sitting and taking the internet thing with her. So no internet until next weekend.

Old Jul 23 2011, 11:15 PM   #377
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Tonight we used a gift certificate that the kids gave us to a nice restaurant down in Stamford, where Fred lives. It was very good food, but not as good as the other restaurant we've been to down there. The other place is quieter, and the waiters make you feel like royalty. Once in a while that sort of thing is nice. Getting on the highway to come home we noticed a car in front of us that looked just like Fred's. Sure enough, it was him, with his new girlfriend. They were right in front of us all the way, and when we got in a traffic slow down we opened up the sun roofs on both cars and waved at each other. Not sure what Eliza thought of that! Fred says she has a good sense of humor. Got home, got to meet her, very nice! Now the four of them (Jenn and Mike as well) are at the Chowder Pot for supper. Jealous, Anneli?!
Old Jul 24 2011, 02:19 AM   #378
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

New girlfriend?? what happened with the other??
Old Jul 24 2011, 09:01 AM   #379
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Well, Kat. Cutting out a long story, after dating her for 4 years Fred got tired of her always going home on weekends to her parents, her being afraid to drive, and her never having time for him. He graduated from college, got his Master's, now has his CPA, and has pretty much grown up. She graduated, daddy found her a job, found her an apartment (which he pays for), and she runs home to them every weekend because they pamper her and take her shopping. She was a sweet girl, but very high maintenance, always. Fred cared deeply for her and it was a tough decision on his part, but we all think it was the right one. She needs someone VERY rich to keep her in Coach bags and Ugg boots.
Old Jul 24 2011, 01:18 PM   #380
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Well, Kat. Cutting out a long story, after dating her for 4 years Fred got tired of her always going home on weekends to her parents, her being afraid to drive, and her never having time for him. He graduated from college, got his Master's, now has his CPA, and has pretty much grown up. She graduated, daddy found her a job, found her an apartment (which he pays for), and she runs home to them every weekend because they pamper her and take her shopping. She was a sweet girl, but very high maintenance, always. Fred cared deeply for her and it was a tough decision on his part, but we all think it was the right one. She needs someone VERY rich to keep her in Coach bags and Ugg boots.
AHHHH... Well as Fred certainly deserves better good for him.Shame he had to invest 4 years and she couldn't see what she had. Here's to Fred finding a gal who will value him for the treasure he is! And sympathy to her when she realizes what in life is really important.And it doesn't come with a designer tag.
Old Jul 26 2011, 12:06 AM   #381
Rianne

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

Sorry to here about your aunt Daccio. Ijust got home from a car trip to portland. I went to powells books, and got a bunch (of books, that is).
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2011, 01:52 AM   #382
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
AHHHH... Well as Fred certainly deserves better good for him.Shame he had to invest 4 years and she couldn't see what she had. Here's to Fred finding a gal who will value him for the treasure he is! And sympathy to her when she realizes what in life is really important.And it doesn't come with a designer tag.
That sum up what I was thinking ealry on,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 26 2011, 08:34 AM   #383
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Ginny, sorry to hear about your friend's mum and also to Draco for his aunt. Rest in peace for both ladies. They'll meet at the Pearly Gates and have a few stories to tell with St Peter on their way in.

Priscilla, what Kat said about Fred. Hope he finds someone special too.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2011, 08:37 AM   #384
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Been mainly working, helping to do stuff for junior's youth group and various other things. I do try to pop in occasionally to have a look at what's happening on MoM but if it looks like I've forgotten anyone, please don't mind me too much, I'll still call in to say "g'day". I haven't forgotten you all.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Jul 26 2011, 08:35 PM   #385
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Been mainly working, helping to do stuff for junior's youth group and various other things. I do try to pop in occasionally to have a look at what's happening on MoM but if it looks like I've forgotten anyone, please don't mind me too much, I'll still call in to say "g'day". I haven't forgotten you all.
That sound like me, , if I could, I'm networking, on blind outreach stuff, get hold of speakers and stuff. Also I'm working on understand my new player.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 27 2011, 02:29 PM   #386
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Yeah, and I'm redoing my lifeguard qualification this week so v tired physically and mentally.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27 2011, 03:23 PM   #387
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Good luck P'ter

Old Jul 28 2011, 01:17 AM   #388
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Yeah, and I'm redoing my lifeguard qualification this week so v tired physically and mentally.
Good luck, I'm trying to understand a few new aid programs, more later.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 12 2011, 11:49 AM   #389
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Hope your course went okay P'ter.

We had an "interesting" experience today. Someone drove into our fence. Physically they're okay but mentally, they're a bit shook up. Just glad that child was at school and no-one else was in the immediate vicinity, otherwise it could have been more serious then what it was. After we finished cleaning up, we went around to their place to make sure they were okay. Didn't want them to feel too bad about having to replace said fence. However, it may be a case that although the insurance company will pay for the damage of the fence that was broken, we may still have to replace the rest of the fence at some stage because part of the posts are rotting - probably a result of weather conditions, old age, insects etc. May speak to my neighbour about that part of it when we get the rest of it fixed up as it'll give us a chance to save up for it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 13 2011, 10:15 AM   #390
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I am glad no one was hurt.

Old Aug 18 2011, 05:50 PM   #391
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

My sister took Kibby and my niece to Washington D.C. The went to a few museums. Kibby did not want to leave the Natural History Museum. She has gone back to want to study dino bones. (I know what it is called, I just don't want to try and spell it) They also went to an IMax theater and saw the last Harry Potter movie. Kibby said seeing it at the IMax was MUCH better than seeing it in a normal theater.

Old Aug 19 2011, 01:26 AM   #392
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

School here starts September 8th. On the 13th we have an Open House, and on the 16th we have the first dance of the year. We also have ALL NEW PTO officers....You want to see crazy? You should see me, Jill and Chris, with some help from last year's treasurer/VP trying to organize a table for Open House and a dance with less than a month to do it in!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2011, 06:53 AM   #393
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Jube: probably a good thing your fence was rotten, otherwise they would have been injured. Try telling them.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19 2011, 10:07 AM   #394
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

I think the driver kind of realised that, P'ter, for the simple reason our house is in the main cbd area of our little township and they would have been very embarrassed with the onlookers that went past.

Otherwise good ol' Albert rear-ended it 10 years ago when we had our kitchen/bathroom renovated so we reckon he got the foundation stones a workout then, now this has occurred and we've still got a plastic orange fence at the moment. Apparently it needs several quotes before the insurance company decides what to do. I just hope they plan to do it when I am on day shift then I don't have an excuse to tell them off if I was working nights otherwise I may have to take a day off from work because of lack of sleep. They wouldn't want me to go to work and injure myself because of no sleep.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 19 2011, 10:14 AM   #395
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post

School here starts September 8th. On the 13th we have an Open House, and on the 16th we have the first dance of the year. We also have ALL NEW PTO officers....You want to see crazy? You should see me, Jill and Chris, with some help from last year's treasurer/VP trying to organize a table for Open House and a dance with less than a month to do it in!
We found that with kidlet's youth group. We've managed to do quite well in the past few months with fundraising and trying to promote the group in our local area since being voted in at the AGM. So if we can do it as a new committee so can you. I know you can

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Aug 21 2011, 10:39 PM   #396
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
We found that with kidlet's youth group. We've managed to do quite well in the past few months with fundraising and trying to promote the group in our local area since being voted in at the AGM. So if we can do it as a new committee so can you. I know you can
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jube! This past Friday and Saturday, they had a program called Open Doors...when the sixth graders coming in can come to the school, get their scedules and locker assignments, try out their combinations and walk their scedules, so that the first day of class isn't quite so scary. Saturday, the Kidling went with me to help work the PTO table. We got a few new members, even!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22 2011, 01:28 PM   #397
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Here kidnegarners(SP) first day is the Friday before everyone else goes. They get to ride the school bus with a parent and met their teachers ect...

Old Aug 23 2011, 04:48 PM   #398
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We had an earthquke this afternoon. Va. do NOT have earthquakes. At least hardly ever. This was a 5.9 one, the strongest ever in Va. Not much damage done and no injuries that have been reported.
I was wondering who else felt it.

Old Aug 23 2011, 05:03 PM   #399
kindan

Fan of: Crystal Singer
Now Reading: David Drake - With the Lightning

I read about it online. Weird stuff. Could signal the end of the world in 2012. lol
kindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2011, 08:13 PM   #400
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

Many people here in NC felt it. I did not, although I have friends in Charlotte who did. I was out running around all day and if I was driving at the time, I probably wouldn't have felt it.