A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Sep 7 2006, 03:52 PM   #41
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

I wondered if she was trying to sound rather stilted like many of the 18th century novels (without going so far as "thee" and "thou").

Forster had fairly wooden characters for much of the time but the actions and technical knowhow carried you across that. (I think his best character was Captain Josiah Peabody in A Captain from Conneticut).

His successor Douglas Reeman/Alexander Kent (same bod) seemed to have characters who were far more alive.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2006, 05:24 PM   #42
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I've read those too...

and Dudley Pope Patrick O'Brian and the guy whose name I can't remember who wrote the Nathaniel Drinkwater stories...
Forester was always stilted... in his other novels too.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2006, 07:08 PM   #43
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I've finished the first and enjoyed it quite a bit, once it got going (which is once Laurence and Temeraire got to the training covert in Scotland).

I've just cracked the second, and I'm happy to see that it will have a new plot, rather than just being a continuation of the war. (I'd be okay with more of the regular war fighting, but I don't think I'd want a whole trilogy with nothing but that).

P'ter - I'm quite curious to know what the mistakes were. Do share!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7 2006, 07:42 PM   #44
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Well; one is that most naval ships in that era sailed with safety nets spread horizontally above the decks to protect the crew on deck from falling gear and other crew. It was supposed to be used during battle, but it took so long to rig that many captains kept it in place all the time. The nets would make it impossible to fly a dragon off the deck.

Another, that Forster got right and some of the others forgot, was that the steering wheel worked the other round to a car's. This was so that you stood on the uphill side and pulled down to stop the ship from turning up into the wind. But it means that an officer had to order "Port Helm!" to turn the ship to Starboard, and vice versa.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Sep 7 2006, 07:57 PM   #45
Platinum

Linyaari

Read all three and thoroughly enjoyed them!
Sadly, I thought I was buying a trilogy, and I didn't.
Now have to wait for book 4 in paperback from the US >.<

Still, looks like it will be worth the wait!
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8 2006, 07:19 AM   #46
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Hmm, no counter-argument on the second one, but as for the first -- wouldn't that be reasonable for her to have deliberately changed so the dragons could fly off the decks? After all it's not as if there were really dragons back then either, and other changes are necessitated from that premise.
Old Sep 8 2006, 01:49 PM   #47
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Oh yes. I just noted it in passing and (like you: realising why)thought what the heck and got on with the reading.

C. S. Lewis

Old Sep 9 2006, 08:50 AM   #48
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight

Reading Throne of Jade right now.

There are a few people in there that I'd love to flame between - which means that Naomi Novik is doing a good job in her writing.

Especially since she makes them...not TEH EBUL!!!Eleventy! but just plain misguided.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10 2006, 05:54 PM   #49
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Re: the stilted dialogue--first, it's 19th, not 18th (early 19th, yes, but still) and unless you were a Quaker no one by then was using 'thees' and 'thous'. The dialogue actually reminds me a lot of Jane Austen-which makes sense, as I had her pegged as an Austen-ophile as soon as she had a character named "Admiral Croft" in there. Interpersonal speech really was kind of stilted to modern ears, so I think she does a pretty good job of not getting hokey, but staying true to the period.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12 2006, 06:01 PM   #50
Lucidragon
Crafter

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Got Naomi Novik's 4th for BD
Green Re: His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Check this out!
Naomi was closed mouth at WorldCon when asked about possible movie works. But the dragons out of the box I bet she told Todd or Anne.
http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=52227
Lucidragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12 2006, 10:02 PM   #51
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

For those not clicking the link--we now know what kind of dragons Peter Jackson likes....I'm actually more excited about this than I am about a Pern movie. (And not just because it means men in Napoleonic-era British uniforms.)
Old Sep 12 2006, 10:47 PM   #52
Lucidragon
Crafter

I'm very happy for Naomi, but I personally would prefer to see AMC's Pern on the big screen and other venues. I enjoyed Naomi's books and I think she is totally adorable to boot, but to be honest, the singular perspective of Laurence doesn't impress me as much as AMC's variety.
The big draw seems to be giving a fresh perspective to the Napoleonic Wars and big screen flash - which a could surely provide. But for depth - well, Hollywood has never been know for its depth... I hope Peter Jackson does it proud.

Last edited by Lucidragon; Sep 12 2006 at 10:48 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old Sep 13 2006, 07:43 AM   #53
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Oh, I'm so happy for Naomi! These books should translate well to the big screen. And not just anyone making the movies, but Peter Jackson?! Woot!

I've been thinking lately about whether we might get Naomi in to chat (she is such a sweetie, as Luci says!). Also just thought last night about opening a subforum just for her, as we have for Jody Nye. I know I have a few different topics I'd like to start (well at least one....).

For those of you who have made it to the third book (I'm partway into it now), what'd you think of the scene on pages 39-40 (paperback version)? I like Naomi's sense of humor, and give her big marks for boldness for that bit!
Old Sep 13 2006, 08:06 AM   #54
Lucidragon
Crafter

Todd ed her about that at the Theory of Dragons panel! At the time no one else seemed to know the joke, but it was obvious he thought it was hysterical.
Old Sep 13 2006, 08:21 AM   #55
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Here's another article about the movie deal, with a bit more background detail:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1003120747

And here's an interview with Peter Jackson about it: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30014
Old Sep 17 2006, 01:49 AM   #56
CrochetLady
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: Reading Brisinger, by Chris Paolini

Well, I've read all three of the books, and I loved them. Am looking forward to reading the next one, because I want to see how they solve the problem they had in the preview chapter of it. Don't want to do any spoilers for those who haven't yet read the books.

Have you guys seen the Del Ray news that Peter Jackson has optioned Novik's books for movies? Hmmm. Think they are going to be having a run on dragon movies for a few years! Hope that Anne's comes out before this one (or these) - not to put down Novik's Temeraire - he's a very neat dragon and I love him - but I'm partial to Pern dragons and I would love to see a GOOD movie about Pern before everyone else gets dragons in the movies and perhaps the interest wouldn't be as high then. We love them all, but I have loved our Pern dragons best for so very looooooooooong!!!!! And yes, I know that Eragon is due out in December. Haven't yet read that book, but have heard good things about that, too.

Er --hope that's not too confused. And I'm very happy for Naomi that her books are already optioned by such a good director, too! Just want Anne to get a good shot at this so that Pern is a favorite with even more people, as well!!
CrochetLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2006, 08:21 AM   #57
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pssst, Crochetlady, the last several posts were about the movie deal.

For anyone that hasn't visited Naomi's site, she's got a short story posted there, which I believe takes place between the 1st and 2nd book.
Old Sep 17 2006, 08:33 PM   #58
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Honestly? I think these will go over better than Pern, unless Pern gets some serious rewriting between book and screen. They're written more..cinematically...already. Strong POV, strong straightforward plot, good balance of action and plot. Whoever tackles scripting Pern is going to have much more work cut out for them than whoever Jackson has do the script for HMD (himself?)
Old Sep 18 2006, 06:08 PM   #59
CrochetLady
Journeyman

Oh Cheryl! I hoped I didn't do that - but guess I did! Rats! Got a bit confused, i guess. Been back and forth to Naomi's live journal and here and.... oops!! Well, anyway, was so thrilled to know that Anne's Pern has been optioned and then to find that Naomi, first time author is already optioned, etc. blew my mind. Both are good big screen "shows" ready to happen.

Thanks for the gentle reminder! It's so much better than er - sarcasm - which I know all too well, we are good at here!
Old Sep 19 2006, 06:17 PM   #60
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

wasn't Harry Potter optioned first book?
I read the short, far better than the extract. I can't borrow it from the library for a while though!
Old Oct 6 2006, 12:58 AM   #61
CrochetLady
Journeyman

HI Once Again, from the CrochetLady who comes so seldom to the MoM!

Did anyone else get the DRIN (Del Ray Internet Newsletter) blurb that had a picture of Naomi with Anne and Todd at World Con in L.A.? It was a great picture of all of them!!

Sorry - I deleted the thing right away, so have no URL to give you so you can see it too, if you did not. Sorry 'bout that! Wonder if Todd would have a copy of that picture on his website. Also, it probably is archived at the Del Rey website (maybe).

Glad that Todd and Naomi had fun teasing each other at the panel!! It's always fun when that happens, I'm sure.

Just had to post and see if anyone else saw that neat picture.

Ciao for now
Old Oct 6 2006, 07:23 AM   #62
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Yep! I even started a thread about it in our Cafe forum. You can still find it on the Del Rey site, too, as it's the current DRIN still.
Old Nov 13 2006, 06:46 PM   #63
J'han
Welladay Whale

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer
Blue Re: His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

I seem to be a bit late on this series, and the thread in general, but my input is: I have read nearly the entire series having started but a few days ago...

I love 'em. And, I daresay I'll be at midnight viewings for both Pern and the Temeraire series , with or without my, as yet, future, children ; it'll be awhile before either of 'em come out...

Then again, if my children aren't raised on dragons and ships, they won't be my children. Oh, and Ren Faires and Pern and X-men and D&D and other such stuff.
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18 2006, 08:12 AM   #64
Spaceman Spiff
Aspiring Dragon Anatomist

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Lord of the Rings

I just received it in the mail today! It's an SFBC omnibus, titled "Temeraire: In the Service of the King". GORGEOUS cover artwork! *dives right into it*
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19 2006, 01:38 AM   #65
J'han
Welladay Whale

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer
Blue Re: His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Finished the 3 books in 6 days, just restarted the first. I'm amazed that it holds my attention so soon after I read it. Usually takes me awhile before I reread things.
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19 2006, 07:13 PM   #66
Spaceman Spiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Finally read it, and was "OMG! It's like Pern, only well-thought-out from the start." Also, I could tell she was an Austenite before I read the About the Author because there is an Admiral Croft (though he's a bit more of a jerk than the Admiral Croft of "Persuasion", my all-time favorite Austen.)

I <3 Temeraire, even if I can't quite wrap myself around how to pronounce his name. His Chinese name is easier. Must get Throne of Jade. Must read more. Now. (And thank you, thank you, thank you, lady, for believing in not leaving the reader dangling and then meandering off with loose ends dangling. I hate it when authors do that. Yes, Harry Turtledove, Mr. WorldWar, I'm looking at YOU.)
From Naomi Novik's Livejournal, she says it's pronounced "Tem-eh-RARE". Close to how I figured, I said it more like "Tem-er-AIR"

Only three chapters in so far, but I'm loving it! A bit too close to Pern in some respects, but it's so well written that I don't care. But I really love how dragonriders aren't quite so revered a position as in Pern - it has a more of a realistic attitude. Riding a dragon is an actual sacrifice, that completely disrupts a life. And everything seems to be so much more strongly planned out, with a clear visualization of what dragons look like and their sizes (I LOVE an author who can clearly depict their creatures). I'm not so hot on the description of their wings, I prefer the more bat-like wings to the "fan" style as described, but oh well. The speech thing kind of surprised me, I wouldn't have expected a dragon to be able to talk so fluently fresh out of the shell. Pern's dragons I could accept it because I figured it was more of a translation of feelings and thoughts which assembled into english in the rider's mind. But spoken english seems more iffy to me...

Other than those minor complaints, it's excellent so far. I adore Temeraire and all his inquisitiveness. The part where he's taking his time walking up the mountain to admire the clouds and flowers and rocks is just adorable
Old Nov 20 2006, 07:44 AM   #67
Cheryl
Master Archivist

The language thing bugged me at first too Spiff -- it seemed like they must be somewhat telepathic -- but it's eventually explained, with a reasonable explanation.
Old Nov 20 2006, 09:35 AM   #68
Spaceman Spiff

I know that they somehow learn language within the shell, and since they mature for so long before hatching they have time for it, but it still doesn't quite make sense... But everything Temeraire says with it definitely makes up for that suspension of disbelief
Old Dec 8 2006, 08:25 PM   #69
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quoted from Naomi's LJ:
Quote:
Book 4 will be out in Fall 2007 (ETA: probably October, but don't quote me on it), book 5 will be out in hardcover in Spring 2008, theoretically anyway.
Old Dec 12 2006, 11:30 AM   #70
Spaceman Spiff

Yes, I saw that on there too! I've been checking there every day since I've been hoping for an answer to a question I asked there. I might as well link to it in case anyone here has any thoughts http://naominovik.livejournal.com/22...536235#t536235
Old Dec 14 2006, 02:06 PM   #71
Lara
Whacky Wordsmith

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I'm only a few chapters into the first book, but was enthralled from the start. I just have one niggle: from reading this thread, I see that dragons learn language in the egg. Fair enough, but what bothers me is - how did a Chinese Imperial dragon, acquired by the French, learn to speak English?
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14 2006, 03:03 PM   #72
Lily

The egg was in english hands for a while before it hatched
I've just read the second book and am about to get the third from the library
Amazing how fascinating a sea voyage can be made to appear
It will be interesting to see how the film deals with the lack of women in the books, I would like to think the story stands well enough on its own without them - or the 5% of the book where there are women
Old Dec 14 2006, 03:07 PM   #73
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Amazing how fascinating a sea voyage can be made to appear
I know! Have you read any non-fantasy Napoleonic naval stories?
very blokey but who cares really?
Old Dec 14 2006, 07:40 PM   #74
Lily

Who indeed!
Are there sea serpents in them?
Old Dec 15 2006, 05:45 AM   #75
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I'm afraid not!

What'shername Hobbs books do but they're not Napoleonic! The Liveship books! (sorry I'm working atm)
Old Feb 5 2007, 04:36 PM   #76
Cheryl
Master Archivist

For Temeraire fans: Naomi has posted a scene she cut from the beginning of the fourth book: http://naominovik.livejournal.com/28958.html

Also, there's an interview with Naomi here.

And her site now features a Wiki about Temeraire by fans.
Old Feb 6 2007, 05:31 PM   #77
Topaz the Golden

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

I'm reading it right now. I like the book. A few people in the book I'd like to whack upside their heads. One defintely he treats his dragon so bad. I'd love to make him stay outside til I need him!!!
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16 2007, 06:23 PM   #78
tameeria
Inactive

For those who haven't heard yet: His Majesty's Dragon is on the list of Hugo Award nominees for best novel this year.

I finally made some time to read the books and loved them. I think I liked the second one best so far. Nearly died with laughter at the scene in book 3. I could just see Laurence's face turning scarlet with embarrassment.
tameeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28 2007, 08:56 PM   #79
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Naomi has finished the first draft of Empire of Ivory. It's scheduled for release on Sept 25, 2007. The US cover artwork is already done!
Old Jun 12 2007, 03:01 PM   #80
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I read the first book. The plot was excellent, as were the characters but there was some glaring language and social mistakes which I won't list.
Temerair is a real darling though and I'm tempted to buy the books as I guess the naval mistakes will get less and the language more fluent as the series progresses.