A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Mar 19 2020, 11:35 PM   #5281
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow
Default Re: What is happening

Kibby & I were suppose to go to a con next month. If the governor hadn't banned gather the con would be unable afford to continue. Since government said no, they don't have to pay out contracts. A lot of people asked to roll over this years tickets to next year. Terri Brooks who was suppose to be guest of honor has already said he will go next year. Hotel is allowing people to cancel, without penalty. Kibby was happy to hear that.

I hope the government goes through with promised money.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20 2020, 06:24 PM   #5282
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

We're wishing the government here would do that.

They've mandated the closure of pubs, restaurants, theatres, cinemas etc here...but not hotels. So ConFuzzled is still stuck in limbo at the moment.

The government here has pledged money to help support folks unable to work due to this situation - though this only applies to folks in normal full time work...for those who are self employed, on zero hour contracts etc however there's absolutely nothing in place.

Those who are actually sick can apply for benefits while they're unable to work...but if you're not sick there's absolutely nothing you can do. It's a mess to be honest.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2020, 10:17 AM   #5283
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

As of Wednesday, they announced a state of emergency. This is the first time it has happened since WW2. This means that emergency funding is available for businesses that are forced to close due to the coronavirus outbreak.

No mandatory lockdowns yet, but they may be just around the corner.

Seniors, meaning people 70 and over, are requested to stay at home as much as possible. It's ok to buy groceries and medicines.

I've been working from home for nearly two weeks, and as of Wednesday, working from home is mandatory for everyone in the public sector whose job permits it (most office work). This ensures that offices are safer for those who do need to be there.

We're much better off than most countries, and I suspect that one reason is that Finns are fairly reticent by nature and most of us have a fairly large personal space requirement. Staying at least two meters from strangers is no hardship here! Of course, it's different when you need to ride on public transit, but when so many people can work from home, buses and trains are almost empty and safer for those who need them. The situation is very different in Southern Europe, like Italy or Spain, where people tend to stand much closer to each other.

We're lucky in that we have a four-bedroom house, so I'm working in our home office, my husband has set up his computer in our bedroom and our son is in remote school in his room. Only kids with special needs and first, second and third graders are allowed to go to school as long as they're not showing any symptoms and if their parents/guardians are working in protected jobs (healtcare and emergency services, but also jobs like garbage collection and cleaning). So far it's gone really well, he's been very diligent about doing his schoolwork, although he says he'd rather be in school. He misses his friends a bit.

I'm an introvert. I'm not shy anymore, but spending time with people is tiring. I can fake it pretty well when I go to the office, even if I mostly work on my own and only rarely need to collaborate. That said, I'm usually exhausted when I get home. So these restrictions aren't difficult for me to follow, but I do pity those who usually only go home to sleep and who are energized by spending time with others. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy visiting with my friends or going to dinner to a restaurant with them, but the next day I'm peopled out and prefer to spend as much time on my own as possible... This has only gotten worse the older I get. Without my family, I might just become a hermit...
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2020, 05:37 PM   #5284
Zelandeth

Three days into everyone working from home and I'm about ready to start punting people out of the nearest window.

Not really been much going on the last few days. Finally did get the opportunity to give the Jag a wash to get rid of most of the caked on salt and grime.

Still doesn't scrub up bad.

Really do need to attack the wheels with some solvent cleaner to try to get rid of the foam backing from previous balance weights.

Had a trip out in my housemate's current company car today, an Audi TTRS. This has the fancy magnetoadaptive suspension so I was actually expecting it might be almost tolerable - though I *expect* it to be pretty hard edged as that's kinda why it exists. I was quite impressed with the ride in the S7 we had as a demo a year or so back.

However it's utterly horrendous. Our street is paved with lockblock rather than tarmac, it's not that rough though. You honestly can't read the instruments driving along there it's bouncing around so much. The road noise is absolutely deafening as well.

While I was washing the Jag I think I spotted one reason why!

There is absolutely zero give in these tyres (235/30 ZR20s!)...and yes, they're run flats.

It's moderately quick, but the lack of give in the tyres and the suspension seem to conspire to limit that as despite hugely wide tyres and four wheel drive going anywhere near full throttle on anything less smooth than a snooker table just results in the traction control light blinking angrily at you. Likewise cornering always feels downright terrifying as it skips and bounces around so much. Sure it would go pretty rapidly around a track, but on real road surfaces not so much.

Meh...disappointing. Wasn't expecting a luxury car, but had hoped it might at least be a bit of fun. So continues the string of company cars which have been utter let downs. The only one in the last few years I found tolerable was the top spec Skoda Superb L&K. That actually managed to be almost comfortable for journeys of more than ten minutes.
Old Mar 23 2020, 06:57 PM   #5285
Zelandeth

Well that's that then...the UK is officially now in lockdown.

Oh what fun...
Old Mar 23 2020, 07:30 PM   #5286
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

All non- essential places are closed. ABC stores, the only place in Virginia to buy hard alcohol, will be open.

Old Mar 24 2020, 05:48 AM   #5287
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

@ Zealandeth

except for shopping and exercise.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2020, 08:02 AM   #5288
Zelandeth

I tend to disregard the allowances there given the hassle I got on two occasions from the local police for being out of the house unnecessarily while walking the dogs even a couple of days before this kicked in.

I can see the exercise option being dropped as well as folks will abuse it if what I saw over the weekend is anything to go by. The general response in our area to the pubs closing to keep folks separated was instead to all pile into a friend's house and have a huge drunken garden party.

Given the hassle I had last week, I'm honestly not feeling safe taking the dogs out for their walk (which would also be my exercise for the day) today.
Old Mar 24 2020, 07:01 PM   #5289
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I FINIALLY got a Dr. Appt for Kibby. She's been coughing for a while, a month at least, but has gotten a lot worse in the last 10 days. I tried to get her an appt last. Not sick enough. I called back today. Coughing much worse. I told Dr. office she needed a note sating she could or couldn't work. She was coughing hard enough for them to hear her & agreed to see her, finally.

Old Mar 24 2020, 10:12 PM   #5290
SpaceCowboy
Golden Flier

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Indiana officially goes on shelter in place at midnight what that means for me is not much since groceries and pharmacies are included in the list of essential services. And of course WalMart has both so we continue working. As tired as must of us are we are not sure we want that or not. The last three weeks have been like working one continuous Thanksgiving/Black Friday sale. I personally have gone from averaging over $12,000 rang through a day to averaging over $16,000 rang through a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post

Oh what fun...
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2020, 07:35 AM   #5291
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:

Oh what fun...
So are we in New Zealand. The idea was to hit it hard, hit it fast, and hopefully not let it get completely out of control. Our parliament has declared a nationwide state of emergency and put itself into recess. Only essential services will remain running. Fortunately for me that includes busses if I need them and the Vet. So I can stand in my window and watch the vet staff come out of the clinic in their protective gear and talk to the people and then take the animals inside. Their owners do not get in.
Judging by the figures the supermarkets have been just as crazy here. I haven't been near one for a week.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2020, 10:29 AM   #5292
Zelandeth

Yesterday I needed to pick up essential medication from our local pharmacy.

Three and a half hours standing in a queue in the car park.

...Need to go back today again as they managed to miss half the order.

*Bashes head against nearest wall*
Old Mar 26 2020, 11:33 AM   #5293
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Dr decided that Kibby's cough has turned in to asma. Her lung sound clear. They don't want her working. They of course did not test her for virus.
Local university, Liberty University, has invited all the kids on spring break to come back & continue living in their dorms. Most class are on line. University president says he's not worried about his students getting virus. It's mostly hype to make Trump look bad. And even if the get it, they'll live, because they are all young. Professors have to do online class from their offices & hold face to face meeting with students who want one. This is a large private Christian university, so God will save them.
I HATE Liberty University.

Old Mar 26 2020, 05:55 PM   #5294
Zelandeth

That's madness...how many deaths do they want on their hands?!?

Decided to take advantage of the sunshine this afternoon to try to get something done without me having to leave my property. Garage clear out is now on hold as we obviously can't get any rubbish cleared out to the tip.

Today's target was the thoroughly blocked "atmospheric coolant catch tank" - seriously Jag, it's an expansion tank - on the Jag. I'd like to get rid of the bottle currently wedged between hoses in the nearside front of the engine bay.

Access is gained by removing five 10mm (I expected them to be imperial sized!) Bolts and pulling the wheel arch liner out.

First contact with the enemy.

Immediately obvious is that the overflow bung has escaped the side of the tank.

The idea of this setup is that if this tank were to overflow any water or steam would exit via that metal pipe you can see to the left. However if the seal between the tank and that pipe is compromised (which it is basically from day one as they never fitted well) this will simply escape into the wing.

Made worse by them sticking a foam pad underneath it to hold onto the moisture for as long as possible!

The tank originally would have been a friction fit between two brackets however these were missing so once I fed the pipe through from the engine bay it was just lifted out.

This left behind a lot of crusty mess.

Quite how much crud was apparent once it was swept out. Hey, there's the remains of the bracket that should have been holding the tank!

The results of this were honestly predictable.

On the plus side, the outer wing just bolts on so access should be fine to carry out a repair. I could be naughty and bolt the liner back in and pretend not to have seen it as the MOT tester would never know... I'd rather properly fix it though. Even bearing in mind that I'll need to chase it back a ways to find solid metal it shouldn't be the worst repair to do. Especially as it's out of sight so my horrible welding won't be visible.

I had a bit of a peer into the void using my phone camera and the inner will looks fine. Couple of bits of surface rust but nothing terrifying.

It looks like the tank itself was replaced in the early 90s judging from the date of 1991 on a sticker on it.

Given the line was completely clogged I was surprised to find that it did have some water in...well...something vaguely resembling liquid which may at some point have been water anyway.

This smelled precisely like you'd expect for 30 year old Barr's Stop Leak or K-Seal...lovely! Given that Jag used to recommend adding two bottles of the stuff at each coolant flush, not surprising to find this. There was about an inch of compacted mud at the bottom of the bottle under about 1/2 a pint of water.

Trying to clear the pipe took way longer than getting everything out. The culprit was unsurprisingly the narrowest point in the system, the coupler between the two pipes.

That was choked solid end to end. I had to resort to drilling the gunk out of it as it had the consistency of concrete. Again, I reckon age old leak stop compounds are probably to blame. Removing the hoses (once I eventually managed to get the hose clips free) required them to be cut and then peeled off with a pair of pliers as they were utterly welded onto it.

The whole lot is now soaking in the sink in the utility room, probably awaiting a run through the dishwasher tomorrow before being refitted.

The bung on the overflow will probably be sealed to the body using Sikaflex to hopefully make it something resembling water tight. Hopefully the system will be less troublesome going forward given that cooling system sealant potions won't be going anywhere near the car.

I will need to figure out some means to secure it though as the bracketry has long since dissolved too.

Welding the wing up will need to wait a bit as I'll need a bunch of supplies first which I obviously can't get out for just now.

In summary: It's been said a thousand times before by pretty much every owner of an XJ-S ever...what a stupid design!
Old Mar 26 2020, 06:21 PM   #5295
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

God will protect them. Some of you might remember " The Moral Majority" group back in the 80s. The University's president is the son of the leader of that group. Basically if students don't come back they have to refund dorm & meal money.

Here you can buy meal packages along with dorm fees.

Old Mar 27 2020, 05:19 AM   #5296
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

. . . and anybody who dies had insufficient faith!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Mar 27 2020, 03:07 PM   #5297
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

P'ter, that's about sums it up. Falwell says it's not as bad as they say it is. It is a hoax to make Trump look bad.

If the is anything more greedy & stupid than the thing that calls himself president of the U.S. I don't what it would be. I don't know how much of what he is saying is getting out. He has said that we need to restart the country, even tho it means at least 2% of the population will die. That people want to work even if it means killing others.

Old Mar 27 2020, 04:16 PM   #5298
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Another problem in Lynchburg is that L.U owns most of the shopping centers, hotels & other businesses. Students can't cook in their dorms & Falwell is pushing what can be legally open to the letter, keeping as much open as he can. He owns a lot of apartment building, and hotels. There is really no where you can go to get away from the students.

Old Mar 27 2020, 05:41 PM   #5299
Zelandeth

The mess over there really wouldn't even stack up as a B plot for a budget disaster movie would it...

Stay safe you guys... it's crazy enough over here where the government has at least some *vague* semblance of an idea what it's doing.

-- -- --

The bottle was left soaking overnight before getting thrown in the dishwasher on an intensive wash this morning.

Hasn't cleaned up badly actually given there was about an inch of solid mud in the bottom of it originally.

Looks perfectly serviceable to me.

Has now been reassembled ready for refitting.

I'll make sure both the hose inlet/outlets are sealed properly once it's back on the car. I'll be careful about the hose routing to make sure it doesn't get kinked as I know that's a common problem with this setup.
Old Mar 28 2020, 04:28 AM   #5300
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I FINIALLY got a Dr. Appt for Kibby. She's been coughing for a while, a month at least, but has gotten a lot worse in the last 10 days. I tried to get her an appt last. Not sick enough. I called back today. Coughing much worse. I told Dr. office she needed a note sating she could or couldn't work. She was coughing hard enough for them to hear her & agreed to see her, finally.

I hope she'll feel better soon. I also saw your later post. If Kibby's been diagnosed with asthma, she's in a high-risk group regardless of age.

I'm astounded at this degree of helicopter parenting. Here, the response from the doc's office would be to ask the patient to come to the phone. When a kid hits 18, parents need a power of attorney to do things on behalf of their kids, just like any other adult. I went on a student exchange in my early twenties and had to give a PoA to my parents so they could wire me the grant money I received monthly in my account, as there was no online banking then.
Old Mar 28 2020, 04:32 AM   #5301
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
So are we in New Zealand. The idea was to hit it hard, hit it fast, and hopefully not let it get completely out of control. Our parliament has declared a nationwide state of emergency and put itself into recess. Only essential services will remain running. Fortunately for me that includes busses if I need them and the Vet. So I can stand in my window and watch the vet staff come out of the clinic in their protective gear and talk to the people and then take the animals inside. Their owners do not get in.
Judging by the figures the supermarkets have been just as crazy here. I haven't been near one for a week.

My husband's doing all our shopping. He goes once a week. The only problem is to get the bread to last long enough, I suppose we'll need to buy more and put some in the freezer.
Old Mar 28 2020, 07:37 AM   #5302
vyon

Bread freezes quite well. So does milk. I live on my own so I often freeze both. The main problem with freezing bread is the amount of space it takes up. Stale bread gets turned into breadcrumbs or biscotti. Although I must admit that I got lazy and fed the last lot of stale bread to my worm farm. Today I'd have stayed inside anyway even without the national lockdown because the weather was absolutely lousy. I spent far too much time on the internet and found recipes for easy flatbread and easy crock-pot bread.
Old Mar 28 2020, 09:31 AM   #5303
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby was coughing to much to talk, which is the only reason I talked to Dr.

Kibby is feeling much better & she should be able to go back to work tomorrow.

Old Mar 28 2020, 11:11 AM   #5304
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
My husband's doing all our shopping. He goes once a week. The only problem is to get the bread to last long enough, I suppose we'll need to buy more and put some in the freezer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
Bread freezes quite well. So does milk. I live on my own so I often freeze both. The main problem with freezing bread is the amount of space it takes up. Stale bread gets turned into breadcrumbs or biscotti. Although I must admit that I got lazy and fed the last lot of stale bread to my worm farm. Today I'd have stayed inside anyway even without the national lockdown because the weather was absolutely lousy. I spent far too much time on the internet and found recipes for easy flatbread and easy crock-pot bread.
We invested in a bread machine almost 2 years ago. I don't eat a lot of bread and my wife says she doesn't need it because it can help pack on the pounds, so it's a cheap alternative to store-bought. We like the King's Hawaiian bread, but it's about $4.50 or more per loaf, so she looked online and in the machine's instruction book, found a recipe we liked, and now the cost is down to about $0.50 or $0.60 a loaf.

Bread does freeze, but something to remember is that freezing anything dries it out, and freezing bread, especially our home made with no preservatives is about counter-productive. Look at even ice cubes. Left in the freezer for a long time, they will actually evaporate as the prolonged cold dries up the water. Refrigerating is almost as bad. But even throwing away part of a loaf almost every time, the machine's earned its cost back in savings.

The machine likes "bread flour" better than regular, so that drives the per-loaf cost up, 2 or 3 pennies a loaf. Around here, the grocery scare made flour and yeast disappear as people who had never bakes in their lives started hoarding. But we just smile and move along, taking what we can find when we can find it. My sardonic, sarcastic sense of humor has been serving us well at the moment. Associates at our closest Walmart actually appreciate seeing us instead of the regular idiots out there.

The bread machine can be used for making dough for a lot of things that go into the oven instead of baking right in the machine. You gotta look at the manual to get the whole scope of what one can do.
Old Mar 28 2020, 05:55 PM   #5305
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I haven't used our bread machine in years.

Old Mar 28 2020, 07:40 PM   #5306
Zelandeth

As everything under the sun is (sensibly) closed, I should have a bit of time on my hands this week. Tasks which get me out of the house are good too as everyone is working from home, so I'm finding it really hard to stay out from under everybody's feet. I'm used to having the house largely to myself during the day.

The government advice here is unclear...about half of it says "stay at home" and the other "stay indoors" but I'm making the judgement call that working on my driveway is allowable. Not as though I'm going to be interacting with anyone.

Good time to get a few jobs ticked off on the most ridiculously overcomplicated car in the fleet then.

I've got a parcel on the way (the factors say it's business as usual for web orders so hopefully should be here soon) which contains:

[] Full coolant hose set. Thanks to the ridiculous expansion tank hose having been blocked for goodness only know how many years, the system has been over pressurising and at least two of the hoses are showing signs of distress as a result. See below.

These both have cable ties wrapped around them to act as reinforcement until the new hoses arrive. At least the system pressure is being kept at sensible levels now.

Given they're all 34 years old, I figure they've done their time and are probably due a change. The radiator was replaced only a couple of months before I got the car, so having the hoses all replaced as well should hopefully mean I don't need to actively worry about the cooling system for a while.

I'm sure I will invent several new and exciting curses while trying to fit them.

[] Set of spark plugs.

[] A/C Compressor to condenser hose. Speaking of factory bodges - using jubilee clips to hold together the hot gas lines on the A/C system qualifies I think! It probably worked fine if the system was to be gassed up every year or two, but with the price of refrigerant these days (the system has been converted to r134a at least) I'd rather get shot of two joints which I know will leak...I've spent many hours helping out a friend who is a HVAC technician, so this makes my teeth itch!

That's exactly the sort of bodge we used to find on equipment on the farm. Bonus points if it's on the high pressure side of a hydraulic system.

[] Cam cover gaskets for both cylinder banks and a set of half moon seals for the cam boxes.

[] Inlet manifold gasket set.

Both cam covers leak like a proverbial sieve at the moment...actually changing those is pretty simple...once you get to them! Um...

Can't even see the one on this side...

Nearside one you can see bits of at least!

Which also does a good job of highlighting how ridiculously long the engine is given that the cam cover runs from the oil filler (mid way between the radiator caps) all the way back to just above the windscreen washer bottle. She's a substantial old beastie! Pretty sure I recall seeing someone quoting a figure somewhere around the 450kg mark for the drivetrain in this thing...The unladen weight of the Invacar is 410kg!

Yeah, getting at the cam covers requires removal of the inlet manifolds (which of course requires removal or disconnection of no small number of things which are attached to or in the way of them). Well it's a good opportunity to change the gaskets I guess!

The distributor also needs servicing...which will be massively easier with all the nonsense it's normally buried behind out of the way. So doing this while I've already got things apart to do the cam cover gaskets makes a lot of sense to me. I'd rather not take this much stuff apart more often than I need to. Spark plugs will also be changed at the same time as getting to those requires you to unbolt the A/C compressor and to remove the assembly holding on the throttle linkage and ignition coil. This is a job that's way more awkward on the HE cars because of the angle the plugs screw into the heads. The plugs on the pre-HE cars just screwed straight down into the heads which made things way easier.

Hoping once the plugs are done, distributor has been overhauled and a new cap and rotor arm are on it that we'll finally be able to get an idle that's as silky smooth as it should be. Currently there's a very slight intermittent miss at idle which is really bugging me.

I wouldn't complain if it improved economy a bit either!
Old Mar 28 2020, 10:56 PM   #5307
SpaceCowboy
Golden Flier

Question on the length of the engine. Comparing it to the car in the background would it be in the vicinity of a meter long or in US measure about 40 inches?

Quote:
As everything under the sun is (sensibly) closed, I should have a bit of time on my hands this week. Tasks which get me out of the house are good too as everyone is working from home, so I'm finding it really hard to stay out from under everybody's feet. I'm used to having the house largely to myself during the day.

The government advice here is unclear...about half of it says "stay at home" and the other "stay indoors" but I'm making the judgement call that working on my driveway is allowable. Not as though I'm going to be interacting with anyone.

Good time to get a few jobs ticked off on the most ridiculously overcomplicated car in the fleet then.

I've got a parcel on the way (the factors say it's business as usual for web orders so hopefully should be here soon) which contains:

[] Full coolant hose set. Thanks to the ridiculous expansion tank hose having been blocked for goodness only know how many years, the system has been over pressurising and at least two of the hoses are showing signs of distress as a result. See below.

These both have cable ties wrapped around them to act as reinforcement until the new hoses arrive. At least the system pressure is being kept at sensible levels now.

Given they're all 34 years old, I figure they've done their time and are probably due a change. The radiator was replaced only a couple of months before I got the car, so having the hoses all replaced as well should hopefully mean I don't need to actively worry about the cooling system for a while.

I'm sure I will invent several new and exciting curses while trying to fit them.

[] Set of spark plugs.

[] A/C Compressor to condenser hose. Speaking of factory bodges - using jubilee clips to hold together the hot gas lines on the A/C system qualifies I think! It probably worked fine if the system was to be gassed up every year or two, but with the price of refrigerant these days (the system has been converted to r134a at least) I'd rather get shot of two joints which I know will leak...I've spent many hours helping out a friend who is a HVAC technician, so this makes my teeth itch!

That's exactly the sort of bodge we used to find on equipment on the farm. Bonus points if it's on the high pressure side of a hydraulic system.

[] Cam cover gaskets for both cylinder banks and a set of half moon seals for the cam boxes.

[] Inlet manifold gasket set.

Both cam covers leak like a proverbial sieve at the moment...actually changing those is pretty simple...once you get to them! Um...

Can't even see the one on this side...

Nearside one you can see bits of at least!

Which also does a good job of highlighting how ridiculously long the engine is given that the cam cover runs from the oil filler (mid way between the radiator caps) all the way back to just above the windscreen washer bottle. She's a substantial old beastie! Pretty sure I recall seeing someone quoting a figure somewhere around the 450kg mark for the drivetrain in this thing...The unladen weight of the Invacar is 410kg!

Yeah, getting at the cam covers requires removal of the inlet manifolds (which of course requires removal or disconnection of no small number of things which are attached to or in the way of them). Well it's a good opportunity to change the gaskets I guess!

The distributor also needs servicing...which will be massively easier with all the nonsense it's normally buried behind out of the way. So doing this while I've already got things apart to do the cam cover gaskets makes a lot of sense to me. I'd rather not take this much stuff apart more often than I need to. Spark plugs will also be changed at the same time as getting to those requires you to unbolt the A/C compressor and to remove the assembly holding on the throttle linkage and ignition coil. This is a job that's way more awkward on the HE cars because of the angle the plugs screw into the heads. The plugs on the pre-HE cars just screwed straight down into the heads which made things way easier.

Hoping once the plugs are done, distributor has been overhauled and a new cap and rotor arm are on it that we'll finally be able to get an idle that's as silky smooth as it should be. Currently there's a very slight intermittent miss at idle which is really bugging me.

I wouldn't complain if it improved economy a bit either!
Old Mar 29 2020, 05:39 AM   #5308
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Kibby was coughing to much to talk, which is the only reason I talked to Dr.

Kibby is feeling much better & she should be able to go back to work tomorrow.

Glad to hear she's doing better.

We've been trying to support our local businesses by ordering takeout food about twice a week. The burger chains will survive, I'm less confident about the local pizza and Turkish restaurants here.
Old Mar 29 2020, 03:45 PM   #5309
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

On the first we're going to order take out. Local Chinese or pizza. The have curb side pick up. Call in & they bring it out. You can pay with card when you order.

Old Mar 29 2020, 07:26 PM   #5310
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Question on the length of the engine. Comparing it to the car in the background would it be in the vicinity of a meter long or in US measure about 40 inches?
According to the technical specifications I've saved on my PC desktop here are the engine dimensions (note this is engine only, not including the gearbox or ancillary equipment):

length: 110.8 cm/43.5"
width: 101.0cm/ 39.75"
height: 70.0 cm/ 27.5"
weight: 308.45 kg/ 680 lbs
Old Mar 29 2020, 09:30 PM   #5311
SpaceCowboy
Golden Flier

That is one large car engine. I knew a V12 was big but I didn't think it was quite that big. In fact if I'm remembering correctly and it's been a few years since I researched it for something that isn't much smaller than a Detroit Diesel semi engine.

Quote:
According to the technical specifications I've saved on my PC desktop here are the engine dimensions (note this is engine only, not including the gearbox or ancillary equipment):

length: 110.8 cm/43.5"
width: 101.0cm/ 39.75"
height: 70.0 cm/ 27.5"
weight: 308.45 kg/ 680 lbs
Old Mar 30 2020, 10:03 AM   #5312
Allen

If you ever get the chance, look under the hood of a Lincoln Continental or Zephyr from like 1947-48. BIG ole flathead V-12. Distributor located on the front of the engine, down on the crankshaft. I've worked on some of these.
Old Mar 30 2020, 03:53 PM   #5313
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Virginia now has. A stay at home order, unless you're out to get food or exercise. Must be in groups of 10 or less. Before it was a suggestion, now it is law.

Old Apr 1 2020, 08:06 AM   #5314
vyon

Our whole country has had that for a week, with at least four more weeks to go. Except, no groups at all. We're expected to stay in our own "bubble" even when exercising out of doors. My bubble consists of me and one very elderly cat. People who can are working from home.
Supermarkets and dairies are open, non-essential shops are not. That means no department stores, clothing stores, butchers, greengrocers, restaurants or takeaway places and no cooked food delivery either. Movie theatres, gyms, and City amenities like the libraries and swimming pools are closed. So, stay at home and stay well.
Old Apr 1 2020, 05:56 PM   #5315
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

We have pet door, 4 footed can go out at will. Someone is always home, all the time. They have had no change in routine.
So why are THEY going stir crazy?

Old Apr 4 2020, 08:15 AM   #5316
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Virginia now has. A stay at home order, unless you're out to get food or exercise. Must be in groups of 10 or less. Before it was a suggestion, now it is law.

Same thing applies here, too. Restaurants are shut. Takeouts are allowed, luckily. Anyone with an office job is asked to work from home and for government employees like me, it's mandatory. Schools are shut, except for some younger kids (1 to 3 grade) whose parents work in essential services and can't supervise them from home and some kids with special needs. The last includes immigrants in preparatory schooling to learn the language well enough to attend school.

My son is in 4th grade and he's in remote school and so far doing pretty well.
Old Apr 4 2020, 11:13 AM   #5317
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
My son is in 4th grade and he's in remote school and so far doing pretty well.
Until he figures out how to uninstall the schooling software like the kids in China were caught doing.
Old Apr 4 2020, 11:15 AM   #5318
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Here it's crazy. It's up to state governors to decide to close or not. Most have, but not all. Some mayors have closed down their cities, but the next one over is open as usual. Trump won't do anything beyond saying it's up to the governors to decide.

Old Apr 4 2020, 04:36 PM   #5319
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

He's saying that so that he can deny being responsible for mistakes.

C. S. Lewis

Old Apr 4 2020, 07:49 PM   #5320
Zelandeth

It's mad here the amount of people who are just deciding "I do what I want!" and ignoring the orders. They know that there are so few police around that they can't realistically do anything by way of enforcement, and are just blatantly ignoring the rules. The two nearest parks and woodland to me are busier than you ever normally see them. We had to go out to get some groceries yesterday and the car park at the retail park looked like it was a normal Sunday lunchtime...quieter than usual but far, far from deserted.

Most of the bits I've been waiting for the Jag have now arrived with the exception of course of the injection stuff because the store is closed and I've not yet summoned the energy to pick up everything individually. Oh, and bolts for the cam covers because I still been to dig out what size is the best fit (seem to recall it being mentioned in the PDF I've got which helps keep us XJ-S owners sane).

Looking at the bag full of coolant hoses I'm somewhat horrified by the number of really short bits there are... I'm used to these being an absolute pain in the proverbial rear based on my experience changing the water pump to heater feed connection on Skoda Estelles...and that's relatively easy to get at!

Changing half a dozen of these in hose twice the diameter, buried under the sprawling V12 mess in the XJ-S engine bay isn't my idea of fun...I'm guessing that it's probably going to be a lot easier to get to a fair few hoses while the inlet manifolds are off to get at the cam covers.

Today I decided that in the interests of getting the dogs (and me) exercise while being a far faster moving target for hassle that it was time to get the C5 out for the first time this year. I'd meant to a couple of months ago, but couldn't face digging it out of the back of the shed at the time.

Unsurprisingly it hasn't got any less scruffy over winter.

Star decided she wanted to model for us here too. It actually took me six attempts to get this photo without her being in the way.

Aside from missing hub caps, a missing front mud guard (I do actually have that, I've just never got as far as refitting it as it makes checking the front tyre pressure a pain) and every single surface being scratched to Hell and back the reflective stripes are falling off and are the wrong colour. They were applied in minutes by me with stuff that I just happened to have laying around about five years ago.

Completely at random I stumbled across some reflective tape in Halfords a couple of months ago which is a far, far closer match to the colour of the original stuff.

The two little squares on the wheel trim here are still the originally applied stickers, so you can see while it's not a perfect match it's a lot closer.

An empty paint tin I've found makes an ideal jack for working on the C5.

While it's still scruffy as anything if you look vaguely closely I think it looks a good deal more presentable at a glance now the stripes are all there, match each other and are the right colour.

Next up for it once the lockdown finishes will be a new battery as the one currently in use has pretty much had it. Can't really complain though, it's done five years of regular use and is just a standard car 038 type, so not designed for this type of application really. I'd really like to go down the lithium ion route as it's entirely possible to build a pack into the base of the luggage compartment that's a fraction of the weight of the original yet gives a real world range of 50+ miles even using motor assistance more than normal. However you're looking at several hundred pounds worth of batteries alone...plus obviously a charger and controller would also need to be factored in...and some form of monitoring as the original "fuel gauge" calibration wouldn't be suitable for a different battery chemistry,

Mentioning the instrumentation, here's the "dash" on the C5.

The right hand display is the fuel guage. Simple bar graph that ticks down as energy is used. It will start beeping at you before you run out of juice entirely, and about that point will cut power to protect the battery from damage. The left hand display is essentially an economy gauge. When the motor is energised a single LED lights to show how much power is being used - moving to the right (red) if the load is heavy, or left (green) if the motor load is low. The two amber LEDs at each end of both gauges are simply there to act as an indicator to the user that the power is switched on. The left display also acts as an overheat indicator for the motor - if it gets too hot the whole display there will flash to warn you. The electronics in there are actually pretty clever for the time. The LCD display at the far left is just an off-the-shelf cycle computer to give me a speedometer, odometer and clock as there's nothing like that built in. The two green lights at either side are also additions of mine tied into the indicators so I don't go for miles before remembering to switch them off.

I have thought about doing a more thorough modernisation, doing away with the original lead-acid battery, the original primitive motor controller (it's just a relay switched feed so on or off, there's no throttle or anything like that) etc. However given that this C5 while cosmetically rough is actually very original and works well I'm quite reluctant to go gutting it. If I came across the necessary hardware cheaply enough (finding an e-bike that's been accident damaged beyond economic repair would be the ideal situation really) though I may well be willing to reconsider that situation. A modern hub motor even though still rated at the same maximum of 250W can provide a lot more torque a lot more efficiently than the comparatively primitive one the C5 uses. Speaking of the motor...no, it is NOT a washing machine motor. Yes, Polymotor, company who made it do also make washing machine motors...but the press seemed to conveniently forget that as well as washing machine motors, they also make motors for torpedos and other industrial applications. There's actually nothing whatsoever wrong with the original C5 motor - quite a few folks get impressive performance out of it running it on 24V with some additional cooling without reliability issues, it's just that technology has moved on from 1984. A modern hub motor will perform better than the original, is lighter and does away with the need for a separate gearbox and belt drive as it's just one integral unit. We'll see...If I came across the parts needed for an upgrade, I might instead look to revive the "spares" C5 which lives out the back of the shed. It's got a dead control system and is missing a lot of bits, so would be a better candidate for a complete drive system overhaul. It's in a lot better shape cosmetically than the one I actually use too. I don't really mind it being scruffy though, it's a working vehicle and being a mess visually makes it less appealing to thieves - especially as the accessories like the indicators and rear view mirror are things I've grafted on myself rather than factory accessories which have quite a bit of value these days.

It's good fun to ride around here where we've got so many off-street cycle paths, don't think I'd fancy using it to actually commute on a public road though!