A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Mar 20 2010, 11:35 PM   #1
proserpine
Soul-Eaters

Fan of: Moreta
Default Give me down to there hair

So . . . dragonrider hair cuts. I know Moreta cut hers short, F'lar wears it almost shoulder length, and Tai sports a wicked sweet mullet. In the Guide it says they generally keep it buzzed pretty short as opposed to the average holder's longer hair, but the books never really bear that out. My question is: Do they have a specific type of hair cut, or do they do it however they like? And how many of them rock the mullet? And WHY, for the love of little dragons, does Tai have a mullet they are so ugly. What thoughts or observations have you made as to the do's and don'ts of Pernese fashion?

(As to what brought this up, I was just reading through the Dragonheart thread because I just finished the book. I have no opinion of it other than the daily weyr life and training stuff is interesting to know, boring to read, the time travel really gets old after a while, and I sort of look forward to the next book to clear up the loose ends and cliff hanger, despite the dreadful Sue Lorana probably becoming a major character again. Though this has nothing to do with anything here)

Bonus points for those who got the song reference in the title, btw.
proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2010, 05:32 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: Give me down to there hair

She asks me why
I'm just a hairy guy
I'm hairy noon and night
Hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low
Don't ask me why
Don't know
It's not for lack of bread
Like the Grateful Dead
Darling

Gimme head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen

Give me down to there hair
Shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there mama
Everywhere daddy daddy

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair
Let it fly in the breeze
And get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas
A hive for bees
A nest for birds
There ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
Of my...

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy
Shining, gleaming, streaming
Flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted
Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!

Oh say can you see
My eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short

Down to here
Down to there
Down to where
It stops by itself

They'll be ga ga at the go go
When they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond
Brilliantined
Biblical hair

My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son
Why don't my mother love me?

Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow it
My hair

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

I don’t think there are any rules: you wear your hair as long as you like, and as long as it doesn’t bother you while flying. As I recall, Lessa always wore hers long.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Brenda

As far as dragonriders' hair, it has a lot to do with waht is comfortable under a flying helmet - that's why Moreta kept hers short, because it's a LOT easier to take care of short hair, especially if it's always getting really sweaty. I think Lessa's is said to be braided and coiled under the helmet. A waist-length braid would have to be kept out of the way somehow, or it could really turn into a whip while flying - and possibly even catch the edge of a Thread!

How do we know Tai has a mullet?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2010, 04:59 PM   #5
proserpine
Soul-Eaters

Her hair "a midbrown sparking with red as she moved, was clipped short on top to reduce sweating under her helmet. Left long at the nape of her neck, the wavy mass reached halfway down her back, where it was neatly cut off in a straight line" (Skies of Pern, 26, Del Ray hardcover edition). The classic mullet shares a similar description and profile. Hence, Tai has a mullet, or rather, a femullet since she's female. And clearly it's a rather magnificent specimen, as well.

Also, P'ter gets a prize. The prize is getting that song stuck in his head probably, and my head definitely. I love that whole musical, actually, though "Sodomy" tends to get stuck in my head at inappropriate times. Which is every time.
Old Mar 21 2010, 07:40 PM   #6
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Who can say they saw that musical on Broadway when it was first performed?! Me!! It'd be tame by today's standards. Back then? Oh my!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Given they wear helmets I wonder if any of the gold riders have discovered 'hunter hair' (from the horse-show world.) Because the helmet alone doesn't make you look enough like a mushroom...
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21 2010, 11:39 PM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I think it said in the Dragon Lover's Guide To Pern that some of the new riders would wear their hair long. Until the first time thread got tangled in it. Then they would be first in line for a hair cut.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22 2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Quote:
As far as dragonriders' hair, it has a lot to do with waht is comfortable under a flying helmet - that's why Moreta kept hers short, because it's a LOT easier to take care of short hair, especially if it's always getting really sweaty. I think Lessa's is said to be braided and coiled under the helmet. A waist-length braid would have to be kept out of the way somehow, or it could really turn into a whip while flying - and possibly even catch the edge of a Thread!
I completely agree with this. Guys and gals on Pern probably get really creative with their hairstyles, depending on what works for them, the thickness/weight of it, what they are able to do ('french' braiding, etc.), and what they have time to do. I personally have super-thick, wavy hair that I wear short. The short cut works for me--when my hair is long I have to braid it or otherwise put it up out of face.

I know fanfic doesn't count, but in my own fanfiction version of Pern, I have a male greenrider who has a coppery-red braid down to the middle of his back. He's always had long hair and is quite fast at braiding it, and tucks the braid into the back of his flying jacket before he does the jacket up all the way.

I think that hair on Pern would be a matter of personal expression, much like it is here.
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2010, 12:54 PM   #10
Eriflor

I'm betting that a lot of Lord Holders' wives and daughters keep their hair really long just to show that they have servants to take care of it. Like Kylara, for example, with her old nurse brushing it for her 'morning and night'.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2010, 11:27 PM   #11
Wicked Wonder
Darbul

Fan of: The whole Pern series!
Now Reading: All the Weyrs of Pern, again!

Mullets are spectacularly ugly- but I can see where Tai's coming from. Helmet head/sweaty mess vs business in the front, party in the back. I know Sorka had longer curls until she started riding Faranth and chopped it off, leading to Sean complaining he kept eating her hair. She stated it was easier under the helmet.
Wicked Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2010, 02:07 AM   #12
Multi-Facets
Insert Witty Title Here.

Fan of: Girl Who Heard Dragons
Now Reading: Newflesh/Mira Grant.

You're right, Eriflor; a lot of people in higher positions have longer hair to indicate their lives of relative luxury. Lord Asengar's wife Famira had hair to her ankles, I think. I can't find the paragraph in "Dragonquest" that mentions it. :-\
Old Mar 25 2010, 02:18 PM   #13
Chimaerrha
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-Facets View Post
You're right, Eriflor; a lot of people in higher positions have longer hair to indicate their lives of relative luxury. Lord Asengar's wife Famira had hair to her ankles, I think. I can't find the paragraph in "Dragonquest" that mentions it. :-\
Here you go.

DQ on.:

Quote:
he women of Telgar were in white with the exception of Larad’s half-sister, Famira, the bride. Her blond hair streamed to the hem of her traditional wedding dress of graduated shades of red. Robinton stood for a moment to one side of the gate into the Court, slightly in the shadow of the right-hand tower, scanning the guests already making small groups around the decorated Courtyard.
Chimaerrha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2010, 05:13 PM   #14
proserpine
Soul-Eaters

The thing with that mullet though: Tai lives on the Southern Continent, so why doesn't she cut all of it short?
Old Mar 25 2010, 11:20 PM   #15
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Gold Re: Give me down to there hair

In the book DE/RSR the new male wyerlings had their hair cut short, for the day after two show up for breakfast,. and having to keep a newborn hatchling bathed, feeded. and oiled, was a full time job. cutting up the meat into morsels took time.

The females, had longer hair, but one was complaning about when she going to wash her hair, for something about the Headwoman treating them like dolls fusing with their hair or something like that.

Moreta. found that her holder braids, 'sweat too much, while fight Thread, she was looking forward to time when she could grow out her hair.

I have heavy hair which I get layer to keep cool, anytime longer than my mid-neck, and I get headaches from the extra weight.

My mother hair was quite long when she was younger, she could sit on it. Got too heavy for her so she keep on the short side, also she worked in many places where is was quite warm. about not explaining more .
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27 2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Yeah, long hair can be tough! Since I was little I wore my hair long, but in recent years, I cut it down, especially at summer. Before, it was very long and very heavy.

Dragonman avoid excess
Old Mar 28 2010, 03:02 PM   #17
Between
Slither

Fan of: Pegasus, Pern, & CS
Now Reading: Harper Hall, Eon, The sharing knife:book 4

I've always gotten the impression that Lessa keeps her hair long,despite the inconvienance because of her background, YEARS of deliberately keeping her hair long but in an icky hiding way.

IMO Lessa enjoys having beautiful hair now, she rides the senior Queen of the Weyr, she has the resources, skill, and time to braid it or have it braided.

Other riders have hairstyles and many of them decide short hair is easier...but there probably is a range that works reasonably well while riding. Ponytails, braids, hair pins, a hair net...the difference is that Lessa probably takes much more elaborate care of her hair then most other riders...but then it is her pride, the symbol of who she is now as opposed to who she was then.

My 2 cents
Between is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2010, 03:57 PM   #18
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Yeah, it always reminds me of the scene after coming to Benden, when she washes it after so many years, and she sees herself in the mirror, and enjoys the beauty of her long hair, now finally clean. I can understand why she keeps it long.

Dragonman avoid excess
Old Apr 1 2010, 12:45 PM   #19
Dernok
Eskay

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Default OT:Haircuts/Horse shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
Given they wear helmets I wonder if any of the gold riders have discovered 'hunter hair' (from the horse-show world.)
"Hunter hair" sounded a bit silly to me (For modern age "hunters" the haircut shouldn't matter, as long as the hair's colour's the same as their safety-vests' : Bright yellow or orange! 8-)) so i googled it a bit and came across some discussion about "wild" european riders at the olympics wearing their hair open vs american ones with "hunter hair".

I'm a complete alien to the "horsey-thing" but was - till now - thinking that it's just another sport i'm just not into, but a sport after all.

Is horse-riding (At shows/competitions?) a sport or an "event" like beach-volleyball where the women-players slips aren't allowed to exceed a fixed size?

p.s.: Naturally, i support the "wild" european riders... 8-) Aehmn, that means i would if i was into the "horsey-thing"... 8-)
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2 2010, 03:40 AM   #20
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Just to add a silly note (when do I ever pass the opportunity?); did you realise that there's a chain of salons "Hunter Hair" named after their founder Grayson Hunter?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4 2010, 07:06 PM   #21
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Hunters isn't an Olympic sport, it's judged on the horse's way of going over fences. (The Olympics have dressage, eventing, and show jumping. Dressage riders don't wear helmets so they couldn't do hunter hair, eventers may or may not do it on the show-jumping phase when they wear hunt-style helmets and show jumpers sometimes do, sometimes don't.) "Hunter hair" is a style from the seventies that involves a heavy-duty net and getting all the hair up under the helmet and with the hair covering the tops of the ears. It's "neater", allegedly, than wearing a show bow/bun (and indisputably neater than a ponytail or braid down the back. It dates from before modern helmets (which are designed to be impact-certified rather than apparel) and it looks very silly under the thicker crash helmets. But it DOES keep your hair off you face and neck.

Most riding clothes in the hunter/jumper disciplines descend from foxhunting kit, where some clothes are functional (the stock tie and pin can be used as a bandage or sling) and some have important color differences (certain colors on the lapels and buttons, or added boot gaiters denote hunt membership or whether someone's staff or not. It's very important to know who the staff are.) Rather like much of the goofier western wear is descended from practical cowboy kit.

Certainly none of it's any less practical than cricketers wearing all white. (Probably more so, as loose hair on the neck is messy appearing but white on grass is a Clorox commercial.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5 2010, 12:11 AM   #22
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Tai

Personally think that it's up to the individual as to how they have their hair, short or long. Some will have it long, due to status or in Lessa's case to hide her face so that the likes of Fax don't repeat what they did to her family. Most riders would have it short anyway but the girls would probably want it long enough that they can do something with when they go to gathers - neck length is probably good enough for most to have something done with.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote