A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Dec 16 2009, 03:40 AM   #1
bats

Default Anyone seen Avatar

Avatar starts here this week looks a true Science Fiction and it's about
time too ,,I like the idea ,but is it too much cartoon ,but the 3D will help it
Bats
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2009, 04:01 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Anyone seen Avatar

Not yet in the cinemas here. But soon.

The TV trailers look very interesting.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16 2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Samsara
Dragon Healer

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
2cent Re: Anyone seen Avatar

It looks cool! I cant wait to see it!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17 2009, 07:28 PM   #4
DragonDance
Welladay Whale

Seeing the midnight showing on IMAX 3D. I'll be sure to let you all know how it was.
DragonDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18 2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
It looks cool! I cant wait to see it!
Me too. But, it will be a while before it comes here.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2009, 07:37 AM   #6
spacedog
Ludmilla Barchenka's Minion

Son wants to see it during school holidays. We will see if he behaves himself.
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20 2009, 02:31 PM   #7
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

Saw it.

It's freaking spectacular. Go see it. NOW. The sheer amount of detail they put into things--animation, facial expressions, the alien fauna and flora, the machines--is awesome.

The rear view mirrors tickle me. (Watch the scenes with the robo-suits.)
D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21 2009, 06:59 AM   #8
Samsara
Dragon Healer

2cent Re: Anyone seen Avatar

I saw it last night... wow! That was amazing! Go and see it!!!!
Old Dec 21 2009, 11:04 PM   #9
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

I saw Avatar on Friday with my parents and it was simply amazing!!

I was so excited to see this movie, because I've been waiting for a really good science fiction/fantasy movie to come out. It did surprise me though how harsh critics were of the storyline. They kept saying how it was an ‘old story that’s been told a thousand times before’ and it makes me wonder if those critics realize the concept for this story was created back in 1995 and that the director had to wait for the technology to develop to do the movie. So of course the story concept has been used before! To me that shouldn’t matter, what matters is the way the movie is created and presented. The storyline can be told a thousand times over and as long as the basis concept and premise is different, who cares. There will always be a hero who has to overcome some challenge and the people who help him/her along the way.

I do hope when the Dragonriders of Pern movie is finally made that it’s done as well as Avatar. It goes to prove that you don't need hugely famous actors to have a good movie. I loved the dragon-like creatures in the movie. I thought of Pern from the moment I first saw them and was imagining what it’d look like on the big screen if it was Pern dragons and riders flying across the sky. I think this movie will help set the precedent for that and it will be even better because the filming techniques created for this movie will make the riders and dragons all the more realistic.
Old Dec 31 2009, 01:58 AM   #10
elvenart
Curlycorn

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

I saw it last Friday in the 3D format. Absolutely amazing, and beautiful imagery! I, too, have been waiting for a good SciFi/Fantasy movie to come out, and this seems to fit the bill! Unfortunately, the genre seems to be slowly dying out, with less and less movies being made that fit into here. It seems that the only things coming out are so-called comedies that are more stupidity than comedy and blood-and-guts fests that have no other reason for being than to see how many ways they can kill someone and gross you out. This was a refreshing addition to the SciFi/Fantasy genre, even if the critics were not enamored of it. Yes, the story has been told before, but, truthfully, there are very few "new" ideas.
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Joz
Eskay

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I saw it in 3D format on Monday. The visuals are very good, but storyline very basic. Well done, nonetheless. Would be good to see Pern done this way, I agree.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2009, 07:24 AM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenart View Post
I saw it last Friday in the 3D format. Absolutely amazing, and beautiful imagery! I, too, have been waiting for a good SciFi/Fantasy movie to come out, and this seems to fit the bill! Unfortunately, the genre seems to be slowly dying out, with less and less movies being made that fit into here. It seems that the only things coming out are so-called comedies that are more stupidity than comedy and blood-and-guts fests that have no other reason for being than to see how many ways they can kill someone and gross you out. This was a refreshing addition to the SciFi/Fantasy genre, even if the critics were not enamored of it. Yes, the story has been told before, but, truthfully, there are very few "new" ideas.
Did you see District 9? That was rather bloody but it was definitely not a comedy.

I'm not sure if I want to see Avatar or not. 3D isn't really an option as I tend to see the components of optical illusions and I'm not overly impressed by graphics. One of the best sf series in my opinion was done live on TV in the 1950s.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2009, 12:39 PM   #13
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Good old Dr Who!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

I saw Avatar the "regular" way (not 3D), and I loved it! It made me look forward to a DoP movie, and hope that the story is given the same respect and it's made just as well.I still might go back and see Avatar in 3D.

As a real live Pern fan, as well as real live wheelchair user, I just wanted to offer my 2 cents on certain aspects of the film. First of all, the actyor Sam Worthington did a wonderful job portraying someone who's paraplegic, right down to the atrophied legs and hips. I do love the way that his character of Jake Sully was shown in a positive, accepted light; someone who, with persistence and hard work, got the chance to have the opportunities everyone else had.He maybe moved a little differently, but he was there. Also, for me the most powerful scene of the the film was the end (and I apologize if I am spoiling this for anyone) where Neferty(??) lifts him and says, "I see you." meaning that she 'sees' him and accepts him for all that he is.

I also loved how the Na'vi and their dragon-like creatures "talked", and the bond between them. Although, I will admit, it seemed like Jake (as avatar) controlled and even dominated his dragon more--telling him/her where to go, etc. Of course I can't speak for anyone else, but I always got the distinct impression that the Pernese dragonriders worked together with their dragons, as a team, to get the job done. I feel that just anyone can dominate another, just order them around and make them submit, but that it takes a very special person to truly work in partnership together.

Overall, I really enjoyed Avatar and highly encourage anyone who hasn't seen it to do so!
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31 2009, 05:49 PM   #15
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Good old Dr Who!
That too, although it's ten years younger than The Quatermass Experiment (not the film).
Old Jan 2 2010, 07:14 AM   #16
elvenart
Curlycorn

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: The Planet Pirates omnibus

The thing with Sully, I expect, is that he had a hard time 'thinking' his wants and ideas to the animals on Pandora. He's grown up with Earth animals and their very limited understandings. The Pandoran creatures seem to fully meld with their riders, thus instantly grasping their desires. This was demonstrated most effectively in the scene where he is learning to ride the 'horse'.

This will be similar to how the Dragonriders in the Pern series fly and communicate, I would imagine, although it makes it difficult from a visual perspective to translate that to film. I would surmise that that was part of the reason that Cameron decided to have Sully do more verbal directing with the Banshee rather than mental, to kind of let the audience get a sense of where he was going and what he was doing.

I will say this, I only saw the movie in 3D because the showtime was right. I had to have the car back for my wife shortly after the movie was over. However, I am quite sure that it would hold most if not all the same appeal in the regular format. What I would LIKE to see is it on an IMAX screen, either 2D or 3D. That would just be wonderful, especially in the flight scenes. I remember when IMAX first was new, the movies made for it (Speed, Flight, etc), and the impact that they had because they took full advantage of the system, something lost over time. You found your body wanting to move wherever the camera moved, and had to consciously hold still. That would be the hight of greatness to see either Avatar or a DoP movie on that format, though the one here in Memphis doesn't play movies. I think the closest one that does is in, like, Nashville. Bummer.... :\
elvenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2010, 07:32 AM   #17
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Saw it, really enjoyed it, and was blown away by the 3D effects. I'm old enough to remember the red/green cardboard glasses when 3D first started, and they were a waste of time and annoying. This is a whole 'nother world, folks. I have NEVER been convinced by surround sound before, but twice during this movie I turned around in the theatre to see what was behind me!

Basically, the effect of the 3D was not to make it seem like anything was 'coming out of the screen' - the effect is to make the viewer feel that they are in the movie, at least to a certain extent. It was astoundingly absorbing, despite the well-trodden plot. And unicorntig: yes, the story has been around forever (LONG before 1995), but that isn't necessarily a problem. The whole art of storytelling is to take whatever elements of the vast soup of story most appeal to you, and to throw together your own stew!
This was a well-executed version, interesting world-building (anyone else feel like they had been inspired by the computer game Myst?) and made, I thought, for a really good movie.
Old Jan 7 2010, 03:38 PM   #18
Hans
Master Archivist

Myst? I loved that game!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 7 2010, 04:05 PM   #19
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
Basically, the effect of the 3D was not to make it seem like anything was 'coming out of the screen' - the effect is to make the viewer feel that they are in the movie, at least to a certain extent. It was astoundingly absorbing, despite the well-trodden plot.
Man, I CAN’T wait to see this movie!

Dragonman avoid excess
Old Jan 8 2010, 02:27 PM   #20
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Hans - me too! Actually, Steven and I solved it together - the scientist + artist combo worked really well. Loved the fact that it WASN'T a shoot-'em-up, too, just a series of interesting puzzles to be solved.

Oh - and to stay on-topic, Himself and I are off to see Avatar again this weekend, before it disappears. It really won't be the same as a DVD, so we're going to enjoy the 3D effect once more.
Old Jan 8 2010, 02:47 PM   #21
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Ditto everything Lanen said. What an amazing film/movie. If anyone hasn't seen it yet I'd recommend seeing it in 3-D at the cinema/theatre just for the experience. It won't be the same viewed in 2-D on a TV screen.

On the subject of Na'vi and their creatures communicating with each other, I got the impression that in this movie the entire planet acted as the team. So there are elements of both DRoP and PTB.

I wish someone would get on and make the DRoP movie.
Old Jan 8 2010, 03:39 PM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Lanen...

have you always liked that kind of games? Have you played Reah?
Did you already play these kind of games as a yung adult, on first generation home computers maybe, when they were still text based...?

Ever heard of Zork?

Old Jan 10 2010, 03:59 PM   #23
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Lanen and I discovered Myst when it came free with a new PC years ago. But I played games on the BBC micro computer and Commodore PET when they first came out. Some of the games were written in BASIC, and if I got frustrated with them I would rewrite the offending part of the code. (You can't do that any more.) The very first 3-D graphics game was Elite, which I played on the BBC micro. Elite was a simulation game, like Myst, where what happened to you decided on the choices you made - you didn't just have to shoot everything on site (although you could choose to do that and become an outlaw!). We're a little off topic, but not much. I think Elite broke the mould for games in the same way that Avatar has just done for the cinema. (By the way, when I refer to Myst I mean Myst and its sequels: Riven and Exile. It's the stunning graphics and sound experience in the Myst sequels that Avatar reminds me of.)

Last edited by StevenB; Jan 10 2010 at 04:14 PM.
StevenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2010, 07:24 AM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

Steven, I re-programmed Zork, too!
And actually did write my own text-adventure programs since it's essentially a 3D grid with choices attached

And yes, I meant Myst and its sequels too. So, you never played Reah? It was less of a cult than Myst but still, very good.

Old Jan 11 2010, 08:22 AM   #25
eann
Firestone

Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct

I saw Avatar a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was the best movie rendering of a science fiction story ever--the visuals were so gorgeous that even though all through the last third of the movie I desperately needed to go to the loo I held on because I was afraid I would miss seeing something.
I thought the story was well told too--I'm not sure what the folks who said it was old hat expected--it was, yes, a story about a corporate invasion of a nature-based indigenous culture but it was beautifully done and the Na'vi culture was imagined so well. I was really impressed with it. I'd like to see it again on a big screen. I didn't see it in 3-D and with some of those critter riding scenes, it's just as well. I think I'd get vertigo.
I agree that I hope if they ever do the Pern movie they do it as thoughtfully as they did this one. I thought it was fun that those critters in the movie bonded with riders only after trying to kill them--very unPern Dragonlike.
eann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2010, 07:45 PM   #26
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenart View Post
The thing with Sully, I expect, is that he had a hard time 'thinking' his wants and ideas to the animals on Pandora. He's grown up with Earth animals and their very limited understandings. The Pandoran creatures seem to fully meld with their riders, thus instantly grasping their desires. This was demonstrated most effectively in the scene where he is learning to ride the 'horse'.

This will be similar to how the Dragonriders in the Pern series fly and communicate, I would imagine, although it makes it difficult from a visual perspective to translate that to film. I would surmise that that was part of the reason that Cameron decided to have Sully do more verbal directing with the Banshee rather than mental, to kind of let the audience get a sense of where he was going and what he was doing.

That is an excellent point!!

I saw Avatar for the 2nd time last weekend, in 3D this time, and seemingly got more out of it. The visuals are absolutely stunning, either way, but I noticed the Na'vi's eyes more--those gold eyes are something--and also the sparkle on their faces, etc. As a photographer, I can't help but to put together possibilities for photos in my head; what a cool portrait Neytiri (sp??) and her 'dragon' would make!

I found this video clip http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9379767

and no, I haven't painted my face blue!
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14 2010, 06:16 PM   #27
eann
Firestone

Now Reading: Buffalo Bill's Defunct

Get out the woad!
eann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20 2010, 09:07 PM   #28
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

what, are we in your way?
Old Jan 20 2010, 09:09 PM   #29
Lily

Cool Re: Anyone seen Avatar

Old Apr 8 2010, 02:21 AM   #30
elexandru
Muskie

Every ounce of James Cameron's energy in this fantasy epic is in making the audience's eyes pop out and lie on the floor in submission to the 3-D wonderment on the screen.
elexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8 2010, 05:30 PM   #31
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Well, I saw Avatar, unfortunately not in 3D (the cinema in y town didn't have that tehnology) and it was OK, but I will never stop regreating not going to a bigger town to see it in 3D.

Dragonman avoid excess
Old Apr 12 2010, 04:41 PM   #32
Awanath
Muskie

Fan of: Pern series

I saw it it was awsome, i can't wait the sequel!!!
Awanath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12 2010, 09:48 PM   #33
Samsara
Dragon Healer

They're making a sequel??
Old Apr 13 2010, 03:25 AM   #34
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

I hope not. The first film was enjoyable but I didn't want to see any more.
Old Apr 13 2010, 04:59 AM   #35
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

edith - I know how you feel, but I figured once that Na'vi that Our Hero had become opened its eyes, there was a good chance that they'd be making another one.
Never mind, the first one took ten years - I shouldn't think we'd be faced with the choice until at least 2015, by which time the faint script will have faded and we can start fresh. Maybe. Problem is, the whole story revolved on the violent clash of cultures and I'm not sure there is anywhere they can go from there.
Old Apr 13 2010, 08:27 AM   #36
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanen View Post
edith - I know how you feel, but I figured once that Na'vi that Our Hero had become opened its eyes, there was a good chance that they'd be making another one.
Never mind, the first one took ten years - I shouldn't think we'd be faced with the choice until at least 2015, by which time the faint script will have faded and we can start fresh. Maybe. Problem is, the whole story revolved on the violent clash of cultures and I'm not sure there is anywhere they can go from there.
Well, as I understand it, Cameron said that there will be 2 sequels, but he also said that we shouldn't hope for them soon, saying the same thing as Lanen about the time it took him to make the first part.
And he said that the two sequels will probably follow Jack and the Na'vi princess, and talk about their lives together on Pandora.

Dragonman avoid excess
Old Apr 13 2010, 05:08 PM   #37
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

That doesn't sound as interesting as the clash between cultures that was the basis for the first film. One problem is that I don't want to see more of Pandora rendered in those stunning 3-D graphics. I would like to see the same technique used to show something else equally stunning, such as creatures surviving on the surface of a dwarf star, flying through an asteroid field or through a nebula or being captured by a worm hole. More of the same would be a disappointment. Hey, a 3-D rendition of Pern would be great.
Old Apr 13 2010, 11:39 PM   #38
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

So would a 3D rendering of Kolmar!

Not that I'm prejudiced or anything.
Old Apr 19 2010, 02:17 PM   #39
Cromaglious
Muskie

Fan of: Freedom Series
Now Reading: Two years before the mast

My wife and I went to watch Avatar 2D at the cheapy theater yesterday. We just can't afford the first run theater. During the movie, just after she rode her dragon we turned to each other and said 'They're ready to do Dragonrider, someone call Jimmy and have him talk to Anne & Todd.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenB View Post
Ditto everything Lanen said. What an amazing film/movie. If anyone hasn't seen it yet I'd recommend seeing it in 3-D at the cinema/theatre just for the experience. It won't be the same viewed in 2-D on a TV screen.

On the subject of Na'vi and their creatures communicating with each other, I got the impression that in this movie the entire planet acted as the team. So there are elements of both DRoP and PTB.

I wish someone would get on and make the DRoP movie.
Cromaglious is offline   Reply With Quote