A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Nov 21 2008, 12:21 PM   #1
tatiana
Journeyman

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: A Storm of Swords
Default Ruatha or Ruath?

I've just recently re-read "Dragonflight" after a long while, and wondered at the rather inconsistent use of the names "Ruath" and "Ruatha" whenever anyone mentions Lessa's Hold (at least in this edition). Is it "Ruath Hold" or "Ruatha Hold"...or does Ruatha refer to a region (although I've also seen "Ruathan" referencing the descendants of that Hold or used to refer to a "Ruathan Gather" for example)? The names seem to be used interchangeably, at least in this particular book so I'm a bit confused.

In the "Dragonlovers Guide to Pern", it's consistently referred to as "Ruatha Hold". In the graphic novel of "Dragonflight", it's also consistently referred to as "Ruatha". In "The Atlas of Pern", also "Ruatha" or "Ruatha Hold".

Is it simply a typo in this particular edition of the pb "Dragonflight" or something that was undecided by Anne when she wrote this first Pern book...that was than finally determined to be only "Ruatha" in the stories that followed?

I had always thought it was Ruatha until I re-read this version of the book (I had just picked up a new pb at my local B&N this past week since my old copy is rather careworn).
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Re: Ruatha or Ruath?

The name Ruath was used in the original first short stories and subsequently in the first book Dragonflight. However, later in that book and in all subsequent books Ane used the name Ruatha.

She tried to get out of the "Anneconsistency", as we calle these minor errors, in the short story "The Ford of red Hanrahan", appearing in "Chronicles of Pern : First Fall" by telling about how the name came to be used as Red used the original Irish/Gaelic name Rua Atha (Red's Ford).

It's easiest to just ignore the use of Ruath. It is only there because the printers were too lousy to change all the minor mistakes in that first book and (Anne didn't have an inkling that she was starting an enromously popular SF series at the time ).

Years ago Anne asked Anneli, Cheryl and me to list all the typos in Dragonflight because her British publisher (agent) was said to be interested in re-typesetting Dragonflight. Alas, when I inquired a few years later, Anne said it had never come to pass. A pity. We all know about things like e.g. Lytol's Larth having the wrong colour...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
tatiana
Journeyman

Thanks, Hans!

I'd actually checked around the internet and read about those inconsistencies you mentioned (some of which I was aware of); and took a look as well at Anne's FAQ's to see if the Ruath/Ruatha issue was listed, too...but I hadn't found anything specific to that question from my search. It seemed best to ask it here to finally get that straightened out.

cheers!

t
Old Nov 21 2008, 04:17 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Not sure if I even mention it in the Pern Ecyclopedia (but if I don't I should )

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Nov 21 2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Brenda

I remember that this was in there, but it's one that never jumped out at me as "wrong".
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22 2008, 12:10 AM   #6
ghost8772

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
I remember that this was in there, but it's one that never jumped out at me as "wrong".
That about sums it up. I thought it was intentional, kinda like a familiar naming of a place. less formal even.
ghost8772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost8772 View Post
That about sums it up. I thought it was intentional, kinda like a familiar naming of a place. less formal even.
That's what I thought too.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23 2008, 04:48 PM   #8
tatiana
Journeyman

I would have thought the same, "a less formal way", if it had been consistently referenced that way throughout Dragonflight. IMO it wasn't mentioned consistently one way or the other by the various characters which was why it raised a mental flag -- particularly since I remembered the Hold as being called only "Ruatha Hold" or "Ruatha" from the other books I've read in the Pern series, and not "Ruath".

Then again, I haven't re-read Dragonflight itself since the mid-eighties, so I might have forgotten about the casual interchanging of the names...if it wasn't always Ruatha in subsequent books that referred to it as far as I can recall from reading other Pern books not too long ago (although I must admit I've only re-read the Harper books more recently than the current Pern books by Anne and Todd).

Anyhoo, my question has been nicely answered here which I much appreciate!
Old Nov 23 2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

After Dragonflight it ha always been Ruatha and if that retypesetting ever comesto pass it'll be Ruatha in Dragonflight too

Old Dec 12 2008, 04:59 PM   #10
kwlfca
Inactive

i noticed that error about lytol as well, didnt it say in that book that he had a green? lol pretty sure he was brown, not a she-green
kwlfca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15 2008, 12:54 AM   #11
ElectricDragon
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, obviously.
Now Reading: That's classified.

Always considered the Ruath/Ruatha issue in the same light as when the Japanese invoke names like "Yamato" or "Musashi" or "Fuso"--all of which are more-or-less old or poetic equivalents of "Japan." So chalk it up to a stylistic conceit of the speaker and get back to enjoying the story.
ElectricDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19 2008, 09:04 AM   #12
evdelft
Inactive

Fan of: Beyond Between
Now Reading: All the weyrs of Pern

I've just read "The Fort of Red Hanrahan" in "Chronicals of Pern: First Fall", and there is stated that Red wanted to call his hold "Rhua Ata", at which his wife Mairi says "Rhuata". I know the book is more recent then DF, but here's may be an explaination? But I see Hans already mentioned it...

Last edited by evdelft; Dec 19 2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Was too quick with replying without reading comments...
evdelft is offline   Reply With Quote