A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jan 22 2010, 10:21 PM   #41
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.
Fan of: Dragonflight
Default Re: Some other questions…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Talisath View Post
Very. Still, it would be a good way for her to get back at him for what happened during Ramoth’s first mating flight which they both say was rather a rape than a love scene.
Please. Do not diminish the act of rape by comparing it to a dragonflight. Ramoth and Mnementh's first flight together =/= F'lar raping Lessa. The word 'rape' gets bandied about way too much in regards to this scene. The sex was rough, but it was consensual. The fact that Lessa was a virgin was not F'lar's fault.

Unfortunately, back in the 60's/70's when Anne first wrote Dragonflight and Dragonquest, "rape" was romanticized. All a woman needed was a manly man to force himself on her, and everything would be finedandyhunkydory. The writers, even though they did not seem to realize it, did not mean 'rape' in its most base sense. They were really describing a seduction.

Rape is dirty, evil, life changing, and I hope to whatever deity you pray to that you never have to experience it.
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2010, 10:28 PM   #42
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

In any case the sex F'lar's thinking of when he considers that if it weren't for Ramoth and Mnementh it "might as well be rape" isn't the mating flight. In DF it seems that he does keep sleeping with Lessa when she's not really into the idea.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22 2010, 10:29 PM   #43
Shalyn

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Why would Lessa, who has lived in a Weyr for all of her adult life, and F'lar, who has lived in a Weyr all his life, have a real problem with another dragon flying Ramoth? Orth, or Lioth, or whoever flies Ramoth. Lessa has sex with someone else. Said someone else becomes Weyrleader, even if it is only temporary until F'lar gets back on his feet.

Unless we are talking about Lessa and Ramoth's early years, I doubt that she would
a. Give the winner a black eye
b. Give the winner what-for
c. Treat the winner badly

Granted, she's not going to jump for joy. But such is life in the Weyr. She should consider herself lucky that it hadn't happened before.
Old Jan 22 2010, 10:31 PM   #44
Shalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anareth View Post
In any case the sex F'lar's thinking of when he considers that if it weren't for Ramoth and Mnementh it "might as well be rape" isn't the mating flight. In DF it seems that he does keep sleeping with Lessa when she's not really into the idea.
True. I forgot about that.

And, if he has enough conscience to think that 'it might as well be rape', then why doesn't he stop?

Answer: Because the author has romanticized it.
Old Jan 23 2010, 04:21 PM   #45
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

I was thinking about this on the way to work yesterday... And we may have a situation where a committed dragon/rider couple DOES have some problems when the female rises. Only, it isn't a gold I am thinking of, it's a green. Golly can't launch himnself any more. What happens to Tai? We already know how she views mating flights prior to F'lessan's interest in her.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2010, 04:48 PM   #46
Cavatica
Selkie

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns

I realize this is coming from fandom, and on a game that itself takes an extremely liberal interpretation of the books, so it's not exactly canon-- but: at a leadership flight on the game where I play, one of the bronzeriders, and a favorite to win, removed himself from consideration by stabbing himself in the shoulder midflight. ;> The bronze freaks and drops out of the running. Hilarious AND effective!
Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23 2010, 07:33 PM   #47
Shalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavatica View Post
I realize this is coming from fandom, and on a game that itself takes an extremely liberal interpretation of the books, so it's not exactly canon-- but: at a leadership flight on the game where I play, one of the bronzeriders, and a favorite to win, removed himself from consideration by stabbing himself in the shoulder midflight. ;> The bronze freaks and drops out of the running. Hilarious AND effective!
ROFL!

That's one way to lose a flight!

What was the story line for that? He wanted someone else to win?
Old Jan 24 2010, 04:06 AM   #48
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

He probably didn't want the Jora-type Weyrwoman

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2010, 07:48 AM   #49
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
Please. Do not diminish the act of rape by comparing it to a dragonflight. Ramoth and Mnementh's first flight together =/= F'lar raping Lessa. The word 'rape' gets bandied about way too much in regards to this scene. The sex was rough, but it was consensual. The fact that Lessa was a virgin was not F'lar's fault.
I know that! I’m just referring to the line that F’lar did say that we could as well as CALL it rape, not that it WAS that! And in most of the fan novels that work around Lessa and F’lar, he’s eating himself up because Lessa’s first experience wasn’t as nice as he expected it to be. And I’m not at all considering those two things the same!
Ok, dropping this, and accepting that I may have made a mistake…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavatica View Post
Maybe he had someone else in mind (meaning he already loved someone else).

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2010, 01:05 PM   #50
Eriflor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
I was thinking about this on the way to work yesterday... And we may have a situation where a committed dragon/rider couple DOES have some problems when the female rises. Only, it isn't a gold I am thinking of, it's a green. Golly can't launch himnself any more. What happens to Tai? We already know how she views mating flights prior to F'lessan's interest in her.
In between her first mating flight (which she hated) and the one with F'lessan, Tai usually arranged not to be available --- she didn't let any of the other riders know where her weyr was, so as soon as her green showed signs of being ready to rise, Tai would head for her hidden weyr on the coast. She could continue doing that.

This might not be a feasible solution for all greenriders, especially in the close quarters of the older Weyrs, but those who really didn't want to be caught could probably figure something out.

Eriflor.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2010, 03:20 PM   #51
AnnMarie
Momma Wolf
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
In between her first mating flight (which she hated) and the one with F'lessan, Tai usually arranged not to be available --- she didn't let any of the other riders know where her weyr was, so as soon as her green showed signs of being ready to rise, Tai would head for her hidden weyr on the coast. She could continue doing that
I need to go back and read the book again. I honestly don't see where that would work. Tai is going to get caught up in what her dragon is feeling, and the dragon still needs to mate. I know Tai never encouraged between-mating flight intimacies....
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2010, 05:48 PM   #52
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
I need to go back and read the book again. I honestly don't see where that would work. Tai is going to get caught up in what her dragon is feeling, and the dragon still needs to mate. I know Tai never encouraged between-mating flight intimacies....
While I'm certainly not rereading the book, I agree I don't think that's possibly correct. The dragon's rider can't go hide during a mating flight--it would be abuse to the dragon, for starters. She shut down between flights and wouldn't engage in any sort of relations, and she froze up during, making things unnecessarily hard on herself, but there's no way for her to avoid them entirely.
Old Jan 24 2010, 08:21 PM   #53
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I certainly don't recall reading that Tai hid during mating flights either.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24 2010, 09:16 PM   #54
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

I don't think Tai hid during mating flights--she may have wanted to--but I highly dougbt she could. Anyway, in her particular case, Tai lucked out and both she and her dragon(Zaranth? Not Amanth, that much I do know!) already have committed partners in F'lessan and Golanth--and they happen to be nice guys.

Just because Golanth can no longer launch himself into the air doesn't mean that he can't enjoy himself.And I bet that he still, you know,--well he hasn't been gelded! F'lessan also seems to do alright in that department. So Tai doesn't really have anything to worry about; there are lots of ways to do this.When she and Zaranth are ready, F'lessan and Golly ought to be able to get the job done, if you get my meaning. Even if Golly isn't able to engage in the physical act of mating, he can feel F'lessan's pleasure. To put it crudely, Golanth can still 'get his rocks off', whether he's in the air or not.

Also, this is a green flight; there's no leadership and no clutch at stake here. This takes a lot of the pressure of all involved--so it might actually better than 'the average mating flight sex' (if there is such a thing) because it will be more about communication and respect, and less about F'lessan forcing himself anywhere because he feels what he feels. It's Zaranth rising to mate, not him.

Also, Zaranth's a smart girl, maybe she'd get all "ready" and come down and do a little stimulating of Golanth--give him some pleasure, too.

Did you know that it's been proven through several studies that sex is physically good for you? No wonder dragonriders live so long!
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25 2010, 12:56 PM   #55
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Actually we have no evidence in the books that dragons can mate on the ground--ESPECIALLY not when the dragon they want to mate with can fly just fine. It's probably physically possible in theory, but unlikely if any other suitable mates are around. Dragons in mating rut don't care about feeling, relationships, or the wants and needs of their human partners. They're animals in a mating drive, and Anne's never actually pretended otherwise (though some of her fans have!) It's the HUMANS who always have the issues. Zaranth never stopped rising because Tai didn't like the human end of things--she can't.

I think the One Twu Luv out that the books would use if the plot's ever addressed again is that now dragons have telekinesis and Golanth will somehow manage to 'believe he can fly' and they'll just isolate themselves at Honshu all the time so there's never any chance of competition. (Because God forbid any of the HEROS have to sacrifice any wants and desires for the sake of their dragons' natural instincts. If it can't be resolved, just kill the dragon off--it's for LOVE, after all.)
Old Jan 25 2010, 05:20 PM   #56
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Green Re: Some other questions…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
I certainly don't recall reading that Tai hid during mating flights either.
She didn't but the human side of the dragons' mating, she disliked, till she had that mating flight with F'lessan and Golanth (Golly)

Zaranth came into heat at Benin Cot Hold, turning bright green, after being in the sun all moring, and both F'lessan and Golly were watching both. They when on to Honshu Wyerhold, in which they were be clever and carefully, and that is what made that union/bond work, for they became wyermates.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote