A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Jan 4 2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Cavatica
Inactive

Fan of: Pern, Talents
Now Reading: Just finished: House of Suns
Default Let It Burn

Wow, so I guess I don't post a lot of art here, huh? Erk. Okay, well, this is a piece to accompany "The Price That Life Exacts." It's not great -- I didn't have much of a reference for D'nor, so he came out of my head and as a result, he's sort of stiff-looking and I'm guessing wildly anatomically incorrect -- but I like the sketchy, unfinished thing it's got going on. And I'm pretty pleased with the firelight on Xavath there.

Blargh, whatever, here it is. (Click here for the high-res version.)

No sooner had the dragon touched earth than a terrific splitting noise drew the eyes and ears of all present: half a dozen townspeople leaped away as the roof of the ruined barn caved in, spraying ash and sparks. The structure sighed a fresh plume of smoke.

Do we need to tell him to bring water? asked D'nor, releasing his buckles and carabiners. He was met with no reply—only stillness. It stopped him cold. —Xavath?

Xavath was transfixed by the fire. The serrated curves of his teeth glittered in the half-gape of his slack jaw, and his eyes glowed a scorching, restless red. There was no telling whether the source of the light was internal or external. D'nor felt something stir in his chest: an inexpressible amalgam of grief and determination; an urgency—and a strange, primal, alien satisfaction. Xavath's low growl was a purr: it sent a shiver down the rider's spine.

No, the dragon said. Let it burn.

Last edited by Cavatica; Aug 3 2011 at 05:20 PM.
Cavatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books
Default Re: Let It Burn

It’s very nice. I like it, even if you do call it a sketch. Very nice, indeed.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2010, 04:56 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

You can say it isn't but I think that's a very good piece Cav. Care to exhibit it in your own Pern Museum Fan Art room?

This was done with photoshop, right? Do you do a real sketch forst and scan or sketch using a tablet?
For some odd reason I like the fact you modelled (most of) the rider's clothing after what is in the DLG.
And I especially like the darkness of the whole drawing and thus the lighting. The only point of critique might be the dragon's teeth, which seem to be not misplaced in an ad for a dragon dentist... but that's minor and doesn't affect the overall quality

And no, you don't post (much) art here

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Cavatica
Inactive

I typically do a pencil sketch first, scan it, and paint over it in Photoshop (yes, I use a tablet and have for... gosh, 10 or 11 years!), but this time I did the whole thing in Photoshop from start to finish. I didn't really have a lot of reference for pose or lighting -- it all pretty much came out of my head -- but I DID take my Ramoth Hatching sculpture into the kitchen, turn out all the lights, put a lit candle in front of her head, and take pictures of that. ;> The boyfriend straddled the arm of our couch so I could take pictures of his leg in a mounted position; I really just used it for perspective on D'nor's boot.

But I had a lot of fun just sculpting the thing out of blobs of color, rather than trying to fill in a lot of pre-drawn lines. In some ways, it was actually a lot easier! I would usually have spent a lot more time giving the drawing a more finished and realistic look, but I decided I liked it sort of unfinished, and it kept me from OVERworking the piece, which I have a really nasty tendency to do.

And don't be jealous of Xavath's teeth. What, you think dragons don't floss? ;>
Old Jan 4 2010, 06:24 PM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Probably use tendons from herdbeasts' legs once they've finished munching on them, to floss their teeth.

I agree with the neck looking a little stilted in this picture but I still like it over-all and thought it was pretty good. Well done.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
Probably use tendons from herdbeasts' legs once they've finished munching on them, to floss their teeth.
Exactly!
Old Jan 6 2010, 05:28 PM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I just realized I hadn't replied yet here or anywhere else you've posted this piece. I enjoyed watching it develop on LJ. The glow of the dragon is just right for firelight.

I'm amazed at how roughed out dabs of color show the form; I know I wouldn't be able to pick the right colors and places to put them to acheive the right effect. The detail of the chest harness is especially impressive, it looks just right.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6 2010, 11:49 PM   #8
Cavatica
Inactive

Hey, thanks. I was beginning to think no one was looking. ;>
Old Jan 7 2010, 03:09 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

We have a quiet but knowledgeable bunch here.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2010, 01:03 PM   #10
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

I too just realized I never posted a comment. My apologies!

This piece as with any of your work is wonderful. I always look to see if you've posted anyhing new in the Art Forum over on AMCF.

It amazes me the talent people have with the digital media Are the tablets hard to use?? I've always wanted one but wasn't sure how hard they are to manipulate. My few attempts using a mouse in paint were beyond pathetic.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2010, 02:13 PM   #11
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
It amazes me the talent people have with the digital media Are the tablets hard to use?? I've always wanted one but wasn't sure how hard they are to manipulate. My few attempts using a mouse in paint were beyond pathetic.
Using a tablet is just like using a pencil and paper. You set the thing in your lap, you put the pen on it, and you draw. ;> The only thing that gets some taking used to is the pressure settings, which you can adjust to be more or less sensitive. But I can't IMAGINE trying to draw anything with a mouse! Ugh!
Old Jan 7 2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

I didn't know that you worked in digital media, Cav! That's awesome!

This is kind of off topic, but I really like your dragon's name--very unique. Is he a brown? I hadn't read your story (yet!), but I think I'm aqbout to. You piqued my interest. . .
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7 2010, 10:10 PM   #13
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyrlady View Post
I didn't know that you worked in digital media, Cav! That's awesome!
That's about all I work in, these days! Digital media and pencil, that's about it. ;>

Quote:
This is kind of off topic, but I really like your dragon's name--very unique. Is he a brown? I hadn't read your story (yet!), but I think I'm aqbout to. You piqued my interest. . .
He's a blue, actually. I know the light doesn't show it very well!
Old Jan 7 2010, 11:54 PM   #14
Brenda

This is very good. I saw it at AMCF and wondered if it was from that story.

The teeth might not stand out as so glaringly bright if there was less blue-white, and more of the orange-y shades shown in the firelight reflecting off the hide.

Is there more coming on the story?
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8 2010, 01:07 AM   #15
Samsara
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
Smile Re: Let It Burn

I too would be interested in more of the story! Wonderful picture too!
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2010, 12:57 AM   #16
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Great pic., more story would be great.

MEDDLE NOT IN THE AFFAIRS OF DRAGONS, FOR YOU ARE CRUNCHY AND GOOD WITH CHOCOLATE

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2010, 11:02 AM   #17
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavatica View Post
Using a tablet is just like using a pencil and paper. You set the thing in your lap, you put the pen on it, and you draw. ;> The only thing that gets some taking used to is the pressure settings, which you can adjust to be more or less sensitive. But I can't IMAGINE trying to draw anything with a mouse! Ugh!
I use a tablet (Wacom) for converting photos to scroll saw patterns. The hardest thing for me is: When you draw with a pencil, you are looking at your hand and the paper. With a tablet, you don't look at your hand, you're looking at your computer monitor. Gives a whole new twist to hand-eye coordination. I use Gimp 2 for the process. I learned quite quickly how to use "layers" so I could correct mistakes without losing the "good" work.

In my drawings, I don't use a "brush" as much as a "pencil", so I don't get as much of the varying thickness due to stylus pressure.

I applaud your work, Cav. Very expressive.
Old Jan 11 2010, 11:36 AM   #18
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Hmmm well there goes that then... my hand eye coordination hasn't been all that spectacular..
I guess we could always get one,the husband would be able to use it.
And I could try my hand at it. Of course it's all wishful thinking at this point.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2010, 12:54 PM   #19
Allen

Well, once you get used to watching the curser on the screen instead of watching your hand, it's not too bad.

There's the thing about moving the curser without drawing. You lift the stylus from the tablet and move the curser on the screen. Too far away, and the curser doesn't move.

Our stylus has a couple of buttons. One button, when you press it, will allow you to "grab" the picture to move it. when you're dealing with a magnified image, this is a time saver. You do that instead of moving the curser to the corner "sliders" and pressing on them.

Like Cav, I can't imagine trying to draw with a mouse.
Old Jan 11 2010, 01:05 PM   #20
Cavatica
Inactive

Okay, first, I gotta say-- the word is "cursor." ;>

Second: I don't find that there's any disconnect between the tablet in my lap and the screen in front of my eyes. Your brain is generally too stupid to tell the difference between "I'm drawing in my lap and the artwork is in my lap" and "I'm drawing in my lap and the artwork is on a screen." If you draw a line and the line appears, your brain is happy. ;> I'm not sure it's entirely the same kind of hand-eye coordination required for video gaming. It's much less difficult!
Old Jan 11 2010, 01:21 PM   #21
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavatica View Post
Okay, first, I gotta say-- the word is "cursor." ;>

Second: I don't find that there's any disconnect between the tablet in my lap and the screen in front of my eyes. Your brain is generally too stupid to tell the difference between "I'm drawing in my lap and the artwork is in my lap" and "I'm drawing in my lap and the artwork is on a screen." If you draw a line and the line appears, your brain is happy. ;> I'm not sure it's entirely the same kind of hand-eye coordination required for video gaming. It's much less difficult!
It's only "cursor" if you're not cursing at it for not going where you want it. Then it's "curser". (You're right, of course, J K)

You don't have an issue with it probably you're a lot younger and have a talent for art. I'm older, learned a whole different way many, many years ago, so I have a longer lifetime of habit to overcome. Plus, I've never been an artist, by any stretch of the imagination. My manual skills have been in the field of mechanics and body and paint work.

Not much of an excuse, but hey, it's all I have.

You can see my tablet work in my thread Bragging just a little
Old Jan 11 2010, 02:52 PM   #22
Cavatica
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
You don't have an issue with it probably you're a lot younger and have a talent for art. I'm older, learned a whole different way many, many years ago, so I have a longer lifetime of habit to overcome. Plus, I've never been an artist, by any stretch of the imagination. My manual skills have been in the field of mechanics and body and paint work.
Well, I'm not sure how much the "being younger" bit makes a difference, necessarily. My dad'll be 61 in May () and he's been using tablets... well, probably almost as long as I have, and that's coming up on 11 or 12 years. But Dad's also always been into computers and shiny new bits of technology, so his brain's probably been wired for that stuff his whole life.

But every art class I've ever taken has been traditional, and of course I learned to draw with finger paints and crayons just like everyone else. ;>
Old Jan 11 2010, 04:23 PM   #23
Allen

What I meant is that you didn't have as much to "unlearn", to adapt to watching the screen. Like you said, you have had classes, too. I never had the talent to make any kind of art classes desireable. In school, Arts & Crafts was more crafts than art in the drawing and painting sense.

It's like I said, you're talented, there's no doubt. Don't sell yourself and your talent short....... not that I've ever known you to do that. Like I also said, I'm not talented along those lines. So it's more of a challenge to draw like that, if for no other reason than I have trouble drawing in the first place.

Oh, and we got our Wacom about 3 or 4 years ago, and I have maybe 6 months to a year of use on it, spread out over that time. I'm like your dad; attracted to bright shiney new technology. But from the standpoint of taking my computer apart and installing the technology. I installed a bigger hard drive and a disc burner in my first computer, less than 3 months after I got it. I've updated and improved our computers ever since. Different skills....
Old Jan 11 2010, 04:38 PM   #24
Cavatica
Inactive

It's probably true. And my parents like to tell a story about my dad sitting me on his lap when I was a toddler, putting my hand on the mouse and moving it around in MacPaint or whatever it would have been in 1985 or so. ;> It's probably more hard-wired in there than I realize!
Old Jan 11 2010, 04:51 PM   #25
Allen

Like I got an electronics hobby set when I was about 10. Transistors about half the size of a dime, and no such thing as printed circuits. But that set was supposed to be for ages above my own.

Last edited by Allen; Jan 11 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11 2010, 08:27 PM   #26
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Totally OT, but for your grandkids Draco look for a product called Snap Circuits. Galen got a set for Xmas, recommended age is 8+ but he's doing fine with it at 6 (though because he's not reading well yet, he's just following diagrams without entirely learning what exactly he's doing/building).
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2010, 03:43 AM   #27
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Thumbs up Re: Let It Burn

Very, nice image
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2010, 10:50 PM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

WOW!!! Cav....this really catches and draws the eye into it. It really has the mind wanting to know more about whats going on with the story. It makes me wish I had bought one of those art tablets, to play with...someday perhaps....but until then I'll just have to keep working with my pencil and paper, thankfully it seems to work pretty good for me....so far!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20 2010, 12:50 AM   #29
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Oops, sorry, Cav. I read your story right after I made that comment, and realized, "Oh, Xavath is a blue! OK, gotcha. . . " I still like his name though, regazrdless of his color.

I agree with Brenda on the teeth--that firestone must do a number on cleaning. I wonder if it freshens their breath as well! If the orange-y firelight reflects off Xavath's hide, it'll reflect off his teeth, too.

More story please! And I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes so long to write a fan-fic story!!
Weyrlady is offline   Reply With Quote